Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #211
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA
Who's taking SAT's this Saturday?

(My DS is- this is his second time around...)
My DS is also.

Good luck to all of our kids!

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #212
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Good Luck to all the kiddos taking SAT this weekend. My DD will take both the ACT and SAT in December. Hopefully, the accommodations will be approved and the scores will increase a bit.
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #213
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My son is also taking the SAT for the second time this weekend. This will be his last time and then he will be submitting all of his apps in November.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #214
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

DD is also retaking her SATs this weekend. We have visited three schools over the last two weekends. She loved the environment and curriculum at Quinnipiac but doesn't really want to go that far away from home if she doesn't have to. The other two schools are half the distance from us: Roger Williams University and Salve Regina. She absolutely loved Salve Regina. Of course, DH and I are wondering how we are supposed to afford this. We don't want her coming out of her undergrad degree with a mountain of debt. A couple of people who have been through this before, though, are telling us Salve Regina sometimes comes back with generous assistance so she is going to apply there and Quinnipiac anyway. We will check out a couple of state schools mid-month. One of them came to her school and she went to their presentation and wants to go check out the environment further. The good news is she is realistic financially and is on the same page as us. I am starting to research scholarship opportunities for her. How is everyone doing on that front?
MerMom60_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #215
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerMom60_94 View Post
I am starting to research scholarship opportunities for her. How is everyone doing on that front?
We aren't doing anything on that. My son should be but as only a bit-above-average student, I don't think there's much out there for him in merit aid.

We did get a letter last night from an admissions officer at one of the schools he is interested in (out of state). Based on his already submitted SAT/ACT scores (1st test) they've have targeted him as a high achieving student. They are coming to our area in two weeks to hold a meeting to discuss merit scholarships for these kids, so I think we will go to that to get an idea of how much they are going to come off of that out-of-state tuition.

This school is his #3 pick so I'm not sure how it will all work out.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 10-03-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #216
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

No SATs for us this weekend. DD felt it would be better to wait until cross coutnry ended to take them again. She's already taken them twice, though, and is only looking to boost her scores by 20-30 points.

MerMom60-94--My DD also got stuff for Salve Regina. It's not on her list, but she's looked at a number of Catholic colleges, so I think she popped on their radar. She showed me pictures of their gorgeous campus--she's tempted by that, but it's really not what she's looking for in a school generally. I think I mentioned up-thread that she wants to be a teacher, and her top 3 choices (right now) are Loyola, Boston U., and LaSalle. I know in the next few weeks, LaSalle is coming to the area and she'll interview, and she's also going to see BU School of Education (next weekend, maybe?).
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #217
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
No SATs for us this weekend. DD felt it would be better to wait until cross coutnry ended to take them again. She's already taken them twice, though, and is only looking to boost her scores by 20-30 points.

MerMom60-94--My DD also got stuff for Salve Regina. It's not on her list, but she's looked at a number of Catholic colleges, so I think she popped on their radar. She showed me pictures of their gorgeous campus--she's tempted by that, but it's really not what she's looking for in a school generally. I think I mentioned up-thread that she wants to be a teacher, and her top 3 choices (right now) are Loyola, Boston U., and LaSalle. I know in the next few weeks, LaSalle is coming to the area and she'll interview, and she's also going to see BU School of Education (next weekend, maybe?).
Did your daughter, by chance, look at Emmanuel? If so, what did she think? DD had been talking about Emmanuel and we are trying to figure out when to fit in a visit. DD works weekends and has been having to take time off from her job for college visits so we are trying to be as efficient as we can be. She also plays volleyball so her afternoons are taken up with games and practice. Otherwise, it would be easy enough for DH to pick her up from school and head in to some of the nearby schools. I have in my head that I would like to wrap up our visits by the end of the month but I may have to rethink that. Volleyball ends early November so maybe a couple of the Boston schools will wait until then.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #218
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Sorry, my DD didn't look at Emmanuel at all.

FTR, since we knew her fall was going to be really busy, we tried to at least hit the far away colleges over the summer. In addition to cross country, she takes several dance classes a week, babysits, and has honors and AP classes, so I didn't want to add additional pressure. She's pushing to do Early Acceptance, not me--I figure, she can always go regular, but she wants to get applications out of the way. I know a lot of parents want the decision earlier rather than later, but I figure, this is such a big deal, and I'm not going, so the last thing she needs is me pushing. Of course, this depends a great deal on the child's personality, too.

My thought on the visit is, at least now she'll have visited 4 campuses (5, if you count Keene State, which is 2 miles away and she dances there). So, she at least has a good idea of what's important to her in a campus. We will definitely visit any other strong contenders before she decides. Also, if she gets into Loyola, we might make a second trip down there to actually attend classes and see what it's like when the students are there. That's really her dream school.

P.S. Can you work in campus visits on some of the odd days off, like Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, school workshop days? I don't remember which ones MA gets, beyond Patriot's Day...
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #219
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

DS will take the SAT's for the second time this Saturday. Don't remember his scores but he didn't feel they were high enough. He did raise his ACT by two points bringing his score from a 32 to a 34. That will really help him get into the types of physics programs he is wanting to get into.

Looking forward to this whole process to be finished.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #220
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

So, I emailed my daughter's assistant principal in charge of Special Ed/504, etc and explained our situation. Within 30 minutes he had called me and said he would do anything he could to help. Then, he said that he just didn't know about theatre schools at all. His suggestion was for me to draft the letter saying what I needed it to say and send it to him. He would then print, sign, and mail! I am only sending it to the 7 schools who have actually seen her test scores and holding on the others. Hopefully, we will get some accommodations for ACT and SAT and her December scores will improve a bit. I can then send the letter to the other seven schools, if needed. I'm working on that letter this iweekend. I think for Carnegie Mellon we will have to add him under the School Official link, right? Everything they accept is through Common App.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #221
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BuzznBelle'smom;46335708]Sorry, my DD didn't look at Emmanuel at all.

FTR, since we knew her fall was going to be really busy, we tried to at least hit the far away colleges over the summer. In addition to cross country, she takes several dance classes a week, babysits, and has honors and AP classes, so I didn't want to add additional pressure. She's pushing to do Early Acceptance, not me--I figure, she can always go regular, but she wants to get applications out of the way. I know a lot of parents want the decision earlier rather than later, but I figure, this is such a big deal, and I'm not going, so the last thing she needs is me pushing. Of course, this depends a great deal on the child's personality, too.

My thought on the visit is, at least now she'll have visited 4 campuses (5, if you count Keene State, which is 2 miles away and she dances there). So, she at least has a good idea of what's important to her in a campus. We will definitely visit any other strong contenders before she decides. Also, if she gets into Loyola, we might make a second trip down there to actually attend classes and see what it's like when the students are there. That's really her dream school.

P.S. Can you work in campus visits on some of the odd days off, like Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, school workshop days? I don't remember which ones MA gets, beyond Patriot's Day...[QUOTE]

This is what we will have to do. Volleyball will end early in November so she and my husband could probably hit up a couple of the Boston area schools after she gets out of school in the afternoons, especially if she has an early release. Turns out DH was confused and thought she had to have all her apps in by the end of this month. I know that isn't the case, but I also know the earlier she submits her applications and paperwork, the earlier she gets looked at and by waiting too long funding at the schools that offer monetary assistance may dry up. It is kind of my personality to set goals and make a plan and move forward. I think I probably just have to chill a little bit. She is looking and she is working on it. Today my DH is working and apparently her BF has plans this afternoon so I am hoping I can calmly get her to do some work on her essay and looking at some scholarships.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #222
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

DH and DS are going to Eastern University in St. David's, PA on Monday. I am SO bummed that I can't go. This is the one I wanted to see the most. I am a teacher and have an inservice that day that I can't get out of.

I am anticipating that DS will love it, as everyone he knows who has visited there or who goes there loves it. If he loves it, he will have to fill out that app and write the essay this week, as well as finish the essay for Messiah College. He has been dragging his feet on the writing part. They both have free apps until Nov. 15- so I am trying to get him to understand that it is important to get them in soon (at least to save us some $$).
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #223
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
DH and DS are going to Eastern University in St. David's, PA on Monday. I am SO bummed that I can't go. This is the one I wanted to see the most. I am a teacher and have an inservice that day that I can't get out of.

I am anticipating that DS will love it, as everyone he knows who has visited there or who goes there loves it. If he loves it, he will have to fill out that app and write the essay this week, as well as finish the essay for Messiah College. He has been dragging his feet on the writing part. They both have free apps until Nov. 15- so I am trying to get him to understand that it is important to get them in soon (at least to save us some $$).
Let's hope he gets accepted and then you will be able to go there often. I am going to have to give up on the notion of being there for all DD's visits. I just started a new job in May and already have had to take time off for surgery and doctors visits. I don't really have the flexibility right now to join in on week day visits and since it looks like the last couple of schools will be visited while I am at work I will be in the same boat.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #224
ugadog99

OH MY GOODNESS!!! My DD received her first acceptance today!! It's to Coastal Carolina University! The ironic part about that is CCU was the college who sent the "you look great but try the test again" letter on Monday! On Sunday afternoon, I actually went in to ACT and sent the scores that were from the June testing that had been a teeny tiny bit higher than the September testing. She didn't do writing in June, so that's why we didn't send those scores. Whatever...I guess that tiny little difference was enough.

She still has to go through the interview/portfolio reveiw process with the theatre department. However, just knowing there is one acceptance feels really good. I will continue with the plan of having the AP send the letter to the admission counselors regarding her test scores to all the other colleges.

She's volunteering at her "new" theatre company today, has a B in math (first time ever in HS), got a college acceptance today, and has Monday and Tuesday out of school. Pretty great weekend here!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #225
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
OH MY GOODNESS!!! My DD received her first acceptance today!! It's to Coastal Carolina University! The ironic part about that is CCU was the college who sent the "you look great but try the test again" letter on Monday! On Sunday afternoon, I actually went in to ACT and sent the scores that were from the June testing that had been a teeny tiny bit higher than the September testing. She didn't do writing in June, so that's why we didn't send those scores. Whatever...I guess that tiny little difference was enough.

She still has to go through the interview/portfolio reveiw process with the theatre department. However, just knowing there is one acceptance feels really good. I will continue with the plan of having the AP send the letter to the admission counselors regarding her test scores to all the other colleges.

She's volunteering at her "new" theatre company today, has a B in math (first time ever in HS), got a college acceptance today, and has Monday and Tuesday out of school. Pretty great weekend here!
Congratulations! Nice campus. Close enough to Myrtle Beach to get to work on the many theatre productions there.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: