Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #196
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My son has been working on various admissions packages and, with the exception of one school, there always seems to be an area in the application that basically says: Tell us something about yourself or you academic record that you feel we she know when considering your application. I think that this would be a perfect place to do this if you have it on your applications. If not, I do believe it would be more appropriate for the high school guidance counselor to send a letter of recommendation when they said the college transcripts that explains the 504 issue, learning disability, etc., while also demonstrating your daughter's ability to overcome this in the school environment.
I agree with this. It's going to sound better coming from the prospective student or guidance counselor, in the form of "this is what I'm striving to overcome". If Mom wirtes something, it just comes across as amking excuses. I know that's not what you're doing, but that's how it might be perceived by the school.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #197
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Thanks, all. The letter would definitely be coming from her and not from me. I will oversee said letter, but it will be submitted by her. Her GC is useless. He has way too many students to know any of them. He doesn't know anything about her 504 or anything related to it. He wouldn't know her from any other student at the school. The AP who is in charge of the Special Ed/504 kids is a wonderful man, and she wouldn't be where she is without him. However, no one wants him to write anything for them. Really, it's just bad. You will have to trust me on this one. Great man....not so great with the writing.

All of her applications are done and submitted, so there is not an opportunity to work this into her essays or short answers. I wish I had thought of this earlier, but we had hoped that the scores would be marginal, at the least. Her essay does discuss, briefly, how she was always in her sister's academic shadow and would never be the academic student. It also states that until theatre she just had no real direction, but since then, she has found her passion.

I guess the best we can do is have her formulate a letter to send to the admission counselors. I can't think of anything else at this point.
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #198
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Giving us a little bump and need some advice, please.

As you know, my D is a technical theatre kid, so I know the colleges are a little more slack on the grades/test scores for these kids. The interview/portfolio review is a huge component of the admission process. Additonally, she's tech and not performance, so there is a greater need for the colleges with these kids. Her grades aren't terrible. She hits the 3.3 unweighted and higher weighted. She has done no AP classes but lots of advanced/honors classes.

She also has the 504 for a math disability, ADD, visual issues, and anxiety. All of those equate to HORRENDOUS standardized test scores. Now, I'm talking AWFUL! While I know that, with her major, the schools don't look too much at the scores, I'm concerned they may hurt her. Her standardized scores are not a reflection, at all, of the kind of student she is. Rather, they are a reflection of her disabilities. I know the scores have to be reported, but do we need to send a letter to her admisssions counselors in regards to the situation, or do we ignore it and say nothing? She will be taking the ACT and SAT again in December, but there are no hopes that the score will increase, at least not signficantly. What should we do?
Your dd's college counselor should include this information in the school's recommendation letter. Talk to her counselor.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #199
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

That's too bad that her guidance counselor knows her that little. Here, I joke with my kids' counselor, that the poor woman can't get away from our family! DD17 used to volunteer in the guidance office, I talk to the GC regularly due to DS15's issues, her DD6 sits next to my DS6 in first grade, and her DS4 goes to preschool at the HS--and my DD17 works in the preschool! So, she's definitely high on DD's list for recommendations, since the GC can even talk directly to how well my DD "student teaches", in addition to addressing her academics.

One bit of advice DD got from her GC was, definitely interview if at all possible. As you can see, the GC knows my DD's offbeat personality, and told her that interviewing makes you stand out, and that DD, in particular, would be memorable. I'm hoping she means this in a good way... But, my point is, if your DD were to interview, it might be a good time to address the test scores issue, and generally talk about her learning issues, and how she's worked hard to handle them and so forth.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #200
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Thanks, all. The letter would definitely be coming from her and not from me. I will oversee said letter, but it will be submitted by her. Her GC is useless. He has way too many students to know any of them. He doesn't know anything about her 504 or anything related to it. He wouldn't know her from any other student at the school. The AP who is in charge of the Special Ed/504 kids is a wonderful man, and she wouldn't be where she is without him. However, no one wants him to write anything for them. Really, it's just bad. You will have to trust me on this one. Great man....not so great with the writing.

All of her applications are done and submitted, so there is not an opportunity to work this into her essays or short answers. I wish I had thought of this earlier, but we had hoped that the scores would be marginal, at the least. Her essay does discuss, briefly, how she was always in her sister's academic shadow and would never be the academic student. It also states that until theatre she just had no real direction, but since then, she has found her passion.

I guess the best we can do is have her formulate a letter to send to the admission counselors. I can't think of anything else at this point.
Even though the gc doesn't know her well, I'd still give him a call. It is the gc's job to help with these sort of issues. If he's going to help anyone, it might as well be your dd.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #201
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

ugadog,

My son goes to a small school and, even with that, his GC doesn't *know* him at all. My son just finished filling out a questionnaire put out by guidance that asked about 15 questions. The students had to pick three of the questions and provide answers. These questions would help the counselor (who wouldn't know my son if he bumped into him) formulate a letter to go with the transcript package. A letter will be done on each student. This would be the area that the GC would address this. The couselor doesn't have to "know" your daughter to have her academic record in front of him/her when the letter is formulated.

That said, I understand that that there are some BAD teachers/counselors out there and if you feel that you cannot count on them to prepare this letter then so be it.

However, I think it would be excellent if someone in that school could send the letter on your DD's behalf. I know the person that is most intimate with her issues apparently doesn't write well. Do you think you could approach this person with the problem and ask if you could draft the letter for him that he could sign? I think this is going to be what the application committees are going to notice. I think they've all had enough of parents meddling (in their view) and students making excuses. While your daughter is not making excuses, without the support of the staff to vouch for her, it may very well be taken that way. The only way to really get around that would be if you could get her an interview.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #202
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

The good thing is that with her major, the students HAVE to interview and go through a portfolio review. So, all the theatre people will have an opportunity to meet her and find out about her dedication and talent. I was just thinking outside the theatre school to the admission counselors.

The GC are overwhelmed. The school is large and no one has a chance to make any real connections. If you are one of those stand out academic kids, like my older DD, then everyone knows you. If you are in constant trouble or in dire danger of failing, everyone knows you. Just a plain old average kid, no one knows you. It's frustrating.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #203
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
The good thing is that with her major, the students HAVE to interview and go through a portfolio review. So, all the theatre people will have an opportunity to meet her and find out about her dedication and talent. I was just thinking outside the theatre school to the admission counselors.

The GC are overwhelmed. The school is large and no one has a chance to make any real connections. If you are one of those stand out academic kids, like my older DD, then everyone knows you. If you are in constant trouble or in dire danger of failing, everyone knows you. Just a plain old average kid, no one knows you. It's frustrating.
I feel your pain. Both of my kids fall into the "middle ground" area. I guess I've been lucky in that both different schools my kids went to, the GC submitted something on every student that applied to college. They did this with every transcript they sent. We were always provided a form to jot down what we thought we'd like mentioned in those letters. The GC letters weren't the "true" recommendations letters that students sought out from favorite teachers or other people. But they were almost like introduction letters that quickly summarized the students strengths and any issues.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Last edited by Christine; 09-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #204
ugadog99

Hmmm...perhaps I could get the AP to draft a very short letter just saying that her test scores are not an indication of her in class grades. It makes me nervous, but I guess we could go with that. I just don't want his horrible writing skills to have an even more adverse effect than the test scores do.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #205
ugadog99

I think this is the decision: we will ask the AP in charge of Spec. Ed. to write a letter for my D. We will send it to the 7 schools who have already received her first two rounds of ACT scores. My D will also draft her own letter echoing the AP's letter. I will probably have her attach a copy of her 504 with the letter. We will also make sure to let them know she is retaking ACT and taking SAT in December.

For the remaining 7 schools, they have not seen her test scores since we could only choose a certain number to send. We will not say anything to them until after the December round of testing. If her scores improve, even a little, it will be high enough to not say anything.

I will contact the AP today. He's a wonderful man, really, and I appreciate everything he has done for us.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #206
CrazyCakeLady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think this is the decision: we will ask the AP in charge of Spec. Ed. to write a letter for my D. We will send it to the 7 schools who have already received her first two rounds of ACT scores. My D will also draft her own letter echoing the AP's letter. I will probably have her attach a copy of her 504 with the letter. We will also make sure to let them know she is retaking ACT and taking SAT in December.

For the remaining 7 schools, they have not seen her test scores since we could only choose a certain number to send. We will not say anything to them until after the December round of testing. If her scores improve, even a little, it will be high enough to not say anything.

I will contact the AP today. He's a wonderful man, really, and I appreciate everything he has done for us.
Is she eligible for any testing accomodations? Are they even available for the SAT/ACT? My DD12 (only 7th grade, so we haven't reached the SAT/ACT hurdle yet) has an LD and she has received testing accomodations for any standardized test she has taken (CRCT and ITBS at this point). She does extremely well provided she has the extra time. Without extra time, I'm pretty sure her scores would be dismal. Is this a possibility for your DD?
CrazyCakeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #207
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCakeLady View Post
Is she eligible for any testing accomodations? Are they even available for the SAT/ACT? My DD12 (only 7th grade, so we haven't reached the SAT/ACT hurdle yet) has an LD and she has received testing accomodations for any standardized test she has taken (CRCT and ITBS at this point). She does extremely well provided she has the extra time. Without extra time, I'm pretty sure her scores would be dismal. Is this a possibility for your DD?
There are accommodations it seems:
http://www.actstudent.org/regist/disab/policy.html

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #208
ugadog99

Yes, there are test accommodations. The materials for approval have been submitted. However, ACT/SAT can decide to accept or deny any or all of the accommodations. We just have to wait and see on that.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #209
Christine

Quote:
Yes, there are test accommodations. The materials for approval have been submitted. However, ACT/SAT can decide to accept or deny any or all of the accommodations. We just have to wait and see on that.
Oh, I just figured since she had taken in a couple of times that you had already tried for the accommodations. I was just mainly answering the other poster when they were wondering if there were accommodations.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #210
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Who's taking SAT's this Saturday?

(My DS is- this is his second time around...)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: