Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #136
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

There is no across-the-board magic SAT number (or GPA for that matter) for merit scholarships. At some schools, a 1300 is great and gets a student money, and at others it is barely enough for your application to be considered. Most selective schools look at the student as a whole and test scores are only part of that.

For the record, my son who is a freshman, scored higher than the figure y'all are tossing around and he did not get any merit scholarships.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #137
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

There have been some developments in the last few days. While viewing the CMU site, I found that they offer Early Decision for Tech majors. Additionally, the site says that CMU guarantees to meet "demonstrated need" for its Early Decision acceptees. This brings the dilemma of whether to apply ED or regular.

Since I have been doing FAFSA for a couple of years with my older daughter, I know my approximate EFC. I also know "demonstrated need" can be up to the college to decide. Early Decision is binding, though, we could potentially decline based on the aid given. I am very torn as to what to do!
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #138
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I am thrilled to report thatt DS finished one app today and wrote his personal statement!! He has it saved until we figure out the process for sending transcripts. His hiigh school is having a college info night for seniors on Wednesday night so we will find that info out then.

This is a big deal for us...getting him to this pooint has been like pulling teeth!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #139
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I am thrilled to report thatt DS finished one app today and wrote his personal statement!! He has it saved until we figure out the process for sending transcripts. His hiigh school is having a college info night for seniors on Wednesday night so we will find that info out then.

This is a big deal for us...getting him to this pooint has been like pulling teeth!
Congrats! Getting that first app done is a huge step.

Our weekend has not been what I had planned. Yesterday our three year old beagle broke her ankle in two places! Five hours at the emergency vet and $400 later, we were home with a flowery purple splint and instructions for a new one in two days. Needless to say, the apps were put on hold. Thankfully, today is a holiday, so we can get back to it in between caring for the patient.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #140
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I'm starting to wonder how my poor kid is going to get his apps done.

Between cross country and his part-time job, he hasn't had many free moments. He works at a dog "resort" and they have him doing an 8 hour shift each day this holiday weekend because they are so busy. The only free weekends he has coming up are in October and we've "booked" those with the ACT and SAT. I hate feeling pressured!!!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #141
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I'm starting to wonder how my poor kid is going to get his apps done.

Between cross country and his part-time job, he hasn't had many free moments. He works at a dog "resort" and they have him doing an 8 hour shift each day this holiday weekend because they are so busy. The only free weekends he has coming up are in October and we've "booked" those with the ACT and SAT. I hate feeling pressured!!!!
I know what you mean! Mine is in band, orchestra, chorus, select band, theatre, and does choir at church. No part time job, but no time! Between games and parades and everything else, sitting down to do apps and study for the darn SAT in October is almost impossible!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #142
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

Well DD received her first acceptance letter in the mail this weekend. YAY! My dumb/silly question - it mentioned nothing about the amount of merit scholarship she will receive. Do we just assume it is the amount on their web site based on her ACT/GPA?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #143
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart

I have one app to complete for Nov. 1 for SCEA. Then breaks and weekends after that for the rest of my apps. But now I have my EE to write, and I'm writing for a magazine. I don't have time for it all haha. Is it May yet?

Imagine it, Create it.
Ppufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #144
SydSim
Keep Dancin'
Now, if she could just get passionate about remembering to put a period at the end of a sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I know what you mean! Mine is in band, orchestra, chorus, select band, theatre, and does choir at church. No part time job, but no time! Between games and parades and everything else, sitting down to do apps and study for the darn SAT in October is almost impossible!
Wow, sounds a lot like my own DD. Does your child want to major in theatre or music? If so, what schools are on the radar?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #145
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

Ds is so obessed with cars and fixing them it's driving me crazy. He is taking auto tech at his high school and will graduate this june with some community college credits. But he really wants to go to automotive school. Has anyone seen any scholarships for auto mechanics or auto mechanic school?
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #146
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
Well DD received her first acceptance letter in the mail this weekend. YAY! My dumb/silly question - it mentioned nothing about the amount of merit scholarship she will receive. Do we just assume it is the amount on their web site based on her ACT/GPA?
My son got his merit award letter from his school separately. They didn't have anything posted online for it. Congratulations for acceptance number 1! That takes the pressure off.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #147
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
My son got his merit award letter from his school separately. They didn't have anything posted online for it. Congratulations for acceptance number 1! That takes the pressure off.
How long did it take between the acceptance letter and the scholarship?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #148
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
Just wanted to say congratulations! We have no experience with merit aid but I think you will get something separately. That is how I've seen it work with other kids.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #149
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
How long did it take between the acceptance letter and the scholarship?
It was pretty long if I remember correctly. Like a month later? But if you want to know you can call the school's financial aid department and they will tell you. I didn't know ours was coming- it was a surprise because of his SAT scores I didn't know you get money just for scoring high.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #150
ugadog99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydSim View Post
Wow, sounds a lot like my own DD. Does your child want to major in theatre or music? If so, what schools are on the radar?
I'm not the person you asked, but my DD will be a theatre major. She is technical, no performance. What about yours, music or theatre?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: