Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

RAY BAN sunglasses ....good info

I have over my lifetime had many pairs of RAY BAN sunglasses. I love them. I can honestly say I have never paid full price. I usually stumble upon them in Marshalls of TJ MAXX for 60 or 70 a pair. Anyway, in the past when they broke I did not know there was any help for it and so I threw them away. Last year I got a Special Edition pair and paid 59.00.....They fell on the floor in my bathroom in their case unknown to me, and an ELEPHANT stepped on them (aka my son). I was heartbroken. It would have cost me 250 to repalce them and that was not happening ....I tend to break or lose my sunglasses. Anyway, my eye doctor told me to call Ray Ban. I did and for 20.00 they sent me new lenses and told me that Lens Crafters (who they own) would put them in for free! They are good as new! It kills me to think of all the times I threw out glasses with broken lenses because I did not know I could do this.

I thought I would let you all know in the event someone out there was as ignorant of this as I was.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
I have over my lifetime had many pairs of RAY BAN sunglasses. I love them. I can honestly say I have never paid full price. I usually stumble upon them in Marshalls of TJ MAXX for 60 or 70 a pair. Anyway, in the past when they broke I did not know there was any help for it and so I threw them away. Last year I got a Special Edition pair and paid 59.00.....They fell on the floor in my bathroom in their case unknown to me, and an ELEPHANT stepped on them (aka my son). I was heartbroken. It would have cost me 250 to repalce them and that was not happening ....I tend to break or lose my sunglasses. Anyway, my eye doctor told me to call Ray Ban. I did and for 20.00 they sent me new lenses and told me that Lens Crafters (who they own) would put them in for free! They are good as new! It kills me to think of all the times I threw out glasses with broken lenses because I did not know I could do this.

I thought I would let you all know in the event someone out there was as ignorant of this as I was.
I want to know where your TJ Maxx is that carries Raybans?! Lmao

If I were only that lucky.
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

That's good to know. I just bought my daughter a new pair.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Maui Jim will also replace scratched/damaged lens but for more than $20 IIRC. Still, less than a pair of new glasses!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Great price for Ray Ban's. I just bought a pair for $180 at Nordstroms. They were my Mother's Day gift from DH. Good to know I can fix them rather than toss them.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Bella the Ball 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I want to know where your TJ Maxx is that carries Raybans?! Lmao

If I were only that lucky.
Just so you know it is a little known secret. You need to check out your TJ's they bring them in around Mother's Day. If you really want to laugh about 10 years ago they had them for 25 per pair. THEN they marked them down to 5.00! They are wayfarers. I bought all they had for 5.oo, tortise, black with turquoise and red trim, wire rim. YOu name it. Between me and my sister (who needs to now wear glasses) I had at least 15 pair! Then I kept buying them at places like BJ's wholesale when they were 35 per pair for the plain wayfarer. Wayfarer went out of style for a while (that is when I pulled out the small wire rims). NOW ITS BACK AND I AM THRILLED!!! People stop me all the time to ask where I got the unique Ray Bans LOL! To be honest I still have one pair with the tag on them I have not used. I also got a few pair for my husband. Some are aviator(not wearing now) and a few are just modified wayfarers. HOW could I control myself at that price. They even came withthe case (tj's charges for the case now but I have so many I do not need them).
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
Just so you know it is a little known secret. You need to check out your TJ's they bring them in around Mother's Day. If you really want to laugh about 10 years ago they had them for 25 per pair. THEN they marked them down to 5.00! They are wayfarers. I bought all they had for 5.oo, tortise, black with turquoise and red trim, wire rim. YOu name it. Between me and my sister (who needs to now wear glasses) I had at least 15 pair! Then I kept buying them at places like BJ's wholesale when they were 35 per pair for the plain wayfarer. Wayfarer went out of style for a while (that is when I pulled out the small wire rims). NOW ITS BACK AND I AM THRILLED!!! People stop me all the time to ask where I got the unique Ray Bans LOL! To be honest I still have one pair with the tag on them I have not used. I also got a few pair for my husband. Some are aviator(not wearing now) and a few are just modified wayfarers. HOW could I control myself at that price. They even came withthe case (tj's charges for the case now but I have so many I do not need them).

Want to double your money? I'll give you $10 for them.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Bella the Ball 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Want to double your money? I'll give you $10 for them.
LOL no WAY! On Ebay I saw a pair that i had and they were called vintage. They were charging way over 200 for them! OMG! I LOVE my sunglasses. I am as obsessive with them as I am with make up....obviously Bob you don't read the Make Up Clique thread...LOL!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

All you Ray Bans fanatics--how do I know if Ray Bans are real? I found a pair in a field (this is a true story)--they are aviator and when I looked up the number on the inside of the wire frame, they sell for $195 on the Ray Bans site. How would I know if they are real or knock offs?

Btw--I look ridiculous in them so they sit in my car.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
shortbun
Peacenik

Thanks! My DH has several pair of RayBans, a few have broken pieces. We found some of the $5 years ago. I prefer my sunglasses more flashy so I don't wear mine. He likes the large lens Wayfarers. We are going to check with Ray Ban to see if parts are available.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

Ray Bans are also easy for your eye doctor to switch the regular lenses with prescription lenses. Love my Ray Bans!
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Bella the Ball 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkandaj View Post
All you Ray Bans fanatics--how do I know if Ray Bans are real? I found a pair in a field (this is a true story)--they are aviator and when I looked up the number on the inside of the wire frame, they sell for $195 on the Ray Bans site. How would I know if they are real or knock offs?

Btw--I look ridiculous in them so they sit in my car.
I think you could call them and ask them to tell you if there is a way to tell they are real. If you found them in a field then most likely someone lost them it is not like you bought them on Ebay. My son got a pair for his gf on ebay and really it is easy to tell when you put them side by side. For one thing the wayfarers are much more sturdy than the e bay ones.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Bella the Ball 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Thanks! My DH has several pair of RayBans, a few have broken pieces. We found some of the $5 years ago. I prefer my sunglasses more flashy so I don't wear mine. He likes the large lens Wayfarers. We are going to check with Ray Ban to see if parts are available.
I thought I bought them all! LOL! You must live in another state.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I stepped on my purse once with my Ray Bans inside. A cloth case doesn't work so well in this situation.

My eye doctor sells them, so I took them to get repaired. It was $90 for the lens replacement because they were a certain style and polarized lenses. My doc didn't charge labor to fix them.

I also found out that I can use my Flex Health account for normal Ray Ban Polarized lenses if my eye doctor suggests them to go with my regular contact lenses. YAY!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Maui Jim will also replace scratched/damaged lens but for more than $20 IIRC. Still, less than a pair of new glasses!
It was $10 a couple of years ago (my mom broke her Maui Jims) and if they can't fix it they give you a $100 gift certificate to use on their website.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: