Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Tink9295
Mouseketeer

UCF Rosen College ?'s

My DD is very interested in applying to University of Central Florida's Rosen College. She wants to major in Hospitality Management. The location is near Universal Studios. What could possible be a better place to study Hospitality Management, but near Disney. Not to mention the face that I get to visit DW more often.

This is totally going to be a budget buster if she goes there. We from out of state so the cost is a lot more than in state. I need information on the college. Is it in a safe area? How is the university? The program? There's not much online and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the cost to fly there and visit it. Any imput would be a great help. Thanks.
Tink9295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
LisaR

In case you didn't know, Rosen College is not actually on the UCF campus. The students are housed at the Rosen College and not on the main campus. They do have a UCF bus to transport to the main campus if wanted/needed.

I don't know enough about the Rosen College to tell you if it is worth it. Personally, I would never suggest anyone pay OOS tuition for the UCF main campus but Rosen may be different.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

It is very easy to investigate the credibility of a school. just google it and also look to see how US News and World Report rates it.

Don't forget to look at community college programs, as I believe some of the programs may transfer into the Rosen School. There was a recent poster whose daughter was considering the local community college in the county where Rosen is located. Out of state tuition at a CC would not be as much of a budget buster as UCF.

I am not from that area so I can't remember the name of the CC, but I'm sure someone knows.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
nroush313
Mouseketeer

I attended Rosen back in 2005-2007 and graduated with a degree in Hospitalty Management. It is a great school and has a lot of professors who know what they are talking about and have great reputations in the Hospitality industry. The area is safe and housing is on the Rosen Campus. The main UCF campus is about 30 min away but a free shuttle is offered. There is a cafeteria on the Rosen campus that is run by the students of the Restaurant and Food prep track as well as a Publix and shops/restaurants across the street. As far as hospitality goes I think you really need to want to do it. Many Rosen graduates have worked as managers at Disney and Darden in the area but have the schedule of working days, nights, weekends, and all holidays. If that is what you love the do it.
Any more questions you have I will try to answer. Oh and I did go to CC for 2 years, got my AA, and then transferred in. So it can be done that way.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
It is very easy to investigate the credibility of a school. just google it and also look to see how US News and World Report rates it.

Don't forget to look at community college programs, as I believe some of the programs may transfer into the Rosen School. There was a recent poster whose daughter was considering the local community college in the county where Rosen is located. Out of state tuition at a CC would not be as much of a budget buster as UCF.

I am not from that area so I can't remember the name of the CC, but I'm sure someone knows.
US News and World Report does not even begin to tell the whole story of the university. Also, just because they don't rank a school doesn't make it a bad place. Their ranking system is very controversial.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
US News and World Report does not even begin to tell the whole story of the university. Also, just because they don't rank a school doesn't make it a bad place. Their ranking system is very controversial.
I agree that you can not look at ranking alone, but the unlocked portions of the website gives additional information about the school, graduation rates, undergraduate degrees, price, gender ratios, instate vs out of state ratio ect. and it is a good starting point to find other websites with student reviews, ect.

My point is, you can do a lot of research on your own using the internet. Unfortunately, no school is perfect and you are bound to find just as many people who love the school as those who hate it.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I agree that you can not look at ranking alone, but the unlocked portions of the website gives additional information about the school, graduation rates, undergraduate degrees, price, gender ratios, instate vs out of state ratio ect. and it is a good starting point to find other websites with student reviews, ect.

My point is, you can do a lot of research on your own using the internet. Unfortunately, no school is perfect and you are bound to find just as many people who love the school as those who hate it.
I agree.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Take a look at East Carolina University. They have a Hospitality degree offered there. It may cost you a lot less too.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: