Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
vacationclub
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I think because we were already at the gate, they weren't really losing any money. Rather they were trying to keep the carry-on bag space fights to a minimum. Maybe it is less hassle for them than gate checking them?
Their losing money in the long run because they are broadcasting to everyone that you can get away with bringing a bag that's too big and getting it checked as actual checked luggage.....for free....with no penalty. People seeing this may simply forgo paying money next time and just walk to the gate and wait for the "free" bag check.

Gate checking isn't uncommon, in fact on smaller planes nearly every single passenger MUST do this since the overheads are so small. But they simply have you put a colored tag on it and leave it at the end of the jetway instead of printing tags (after looking up your records in a computer) for every single carry on bag. I can't imagine how that method would be easier than just telling you to leave it at the door.
vacationclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationclub View Post
Their losing money in the long run because they are broadcasting to everyone that you can get away with bringing a bag that's too big and getting it checked as actual checked luggage.....for free....with no penalty. People seeing this may simply forgo paying money next time and just walk to the gate and wait for the "free" bag check.
Seems kind of risky to me. But yeah, I can see people trying it. I would be too chicken too. It is the only direct flight on Air Tran to Orlando out of my home airport each day, so maybe they aren't too worried about the word getting out.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

This is my first time flying Airtran and my first time ever booking everything straight through Disney. Do you guys know what I need to check in to my flight? Do I use a kiosk and the card I used to book the whole package or do I go to the desk and give them the confirmation number? Some combination of the two? Do I need to dress in drag and to the hula? I'm just kind of boggled because I've always booked my flights separately.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
vacationclub
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
This is my first time flying Airtran and my first time ever booking everything straight through Disney. Do you guys know what I need to check in to my flight? Do I use a kiosk and the card I used to book the whole package or do I go to the desk and give them the confirmation number? Some combination of the two? Do I need to dress in drag and to the hula? I'm just kind of boggled because I've always booked my flights separately.
It's easy. Booking your flight through Disney is no different than if you fly for business and someone else booked your flight. They booked it but you still check in as if you booked it. Checking in can be done various ways....it's the same with just about all airlines including Airtran. You can check in on-line 24 hours or less. You can print your boarding pass at this time or wait until you get to the airport. As far as kiosks, that's dependent on the airport you are at. You could use one or just talk to a person. You could check in at this time as well but if you wait this long to do it you increase the chances that if the flight is overbooked that you are at risk. Check in and get that boarding pass as soon as you can.

If using a kiosk you just insert any credit card, doesn't matter which one, just so the computer knows who you are, then it pulls your reservation and asks if you want to use the same card for luggage fees (if you're checking bags). If at the desk you just just say hi and tell them who you are, they will ask for ID and method of payment for checking any luggage. Bags get tagged and you are on your way to get the best treatment the TSA can give you!
vacationclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
LockShockBarrel

Lol can't say I've ever traveled for business or on a flight someone else has booked for me so that still would have left me boggled! But the rest of your explanation was great. Thank you for it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #21
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the responses. The last eight times I flew I was flying with a lap child and seating assignments were of no concern to me. Plus I generally flew Southwest and they didn't have seat assignments (no idea if this has changed). The seat fee ticks me off to no end, I think it's utterly absurd to not just charge the $6 in the fare . I wouldn't have noticed my flight being $6 more, but going back in and paying it later (I didnt realize it was that important when I first booked) really annoyed the crap out of me!

I've heard of some airlines charging a fee for printing a boarding pass for you or something like that. I just wanted to be prepared if I don't have time or (my luck) my printer runs out of ink that day.

I'm planning to check just one bag on the way On the way home, I plan to check two (if I find a Disney suitcase to buy! I bought one last trip and would like another). With four people, two of us can each check a bag as our first bag right? So $40 instead of $45. I know it's only $5 but number crunching is in my blood and I like to be as exact as possible in my budget.

Ugh, I really loathe flying. It's way too much work. I'd rather a 1200 mile road trip any day. But I was outvoted this time!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
No, they offered to actually check bags, as in we would have to go to the luggage carousel to get them. They made that very very clear! As we usually have extra yellow tags, from now on I'm taking one with me to the airport, just in case.

We had Delta do the same thing with one of our bags a couple of years ago. Plane was full and the overheads were full because they don't enforce the rules too strictly about the number of bags. She went back to the front of the plane and the gate agent did everything at the door.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

I have flown Airtran about 15 times in about 5 years, and NEVER have they checked our carry-ons to make sure they were the right size. Never have had to gate check the either.
lylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
I have flown Airtran about 15 times in about 5 years, and NEVER have they checked our carry-ons to make sure they were the right size. Never have had to gate check the either.
Maybe that is because of your home airport. Flying out of GRR, if I have a connecting flight, it is almost always a small commuter jet. Having to gate check my undersized carry-on bag is almost a given.

And the Air Tran agents are very strict! The first time it happened it made me laugh because the pre-boarding announcement was "Each passenger must hand their own ticket to the gate agent. Yes, even the children! Once you board the plane you need to quickly make your way to your seat, place your bag in the overhead bin, and step out of the aisle!" It was as if they were the drill sergeants of the airlines!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
LockShockBarrel

I wouldn't mind the drill sergeant thing. I hate getting on planes and running into things like "Honey....can you climb back out and get my book out of the bag?? I'm sure these people won't mind!' or "OK so Susie gets raisins and Mikey needs headphones..Johnny STOP hitting Mary, Mary stop not touching your brother otherwise I'm going to stand here and not let this plane take off!" and of course the guy that needs to let you know he's got better things to do as he loudly speaks into his cell phone "Yeah no one these days knows how to fly!!! Everyone with kids and whatnot, it's just ridiculous!!" while not realizing he's so distracted by his conversation that he's holding everyone else up.

Yes....I'd like the drill sergeant thing.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationclub View Post

Are you referring to "gate checking" or actual checking? They will gate check for free if the overheads are full, and that means you put a valet tag on it, they put it on the plane directly from the jetway, and you pick it up at the jetway when you get to the other end. They would need to have an actual gate checking computer and printer at the gate to print bag tags there. If the bag isn't bag-tagged with a bar code and destination symbol, it won't go onto the carts destined for the luggage carousel (or for DME luggage grabbers) it will just go back to the people coming directly off the aircraft. The yellow tag wouldn't work other than being a nice decoration.
This isn't quite how gate checking works. If you check your bag at the gate because the overheads are full or the gate agents ask for volunteers to do so because the plane is full, they do print baggage tags right at the gate and attach to your bag. Then you leave your bag near the door of the plane. At your destination, you pick up your bag at baggage claim, not planeside.

You only pick up bags planeside on planes where regular carry-on bags won't fit in the overheads because they are so small.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Not that I can think of. Though whenever I have flown Air Tran they have insisted that every person hand their own ticket to the gate agent, even the children. And they are pretty insistent that your carry-on be the proper size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
I did a search for AirTran and luggage on this forum, and I am glad I found you all! I was actually thinking about all of this today and wondering if I should start a thread about luggage. I am glad you are already talking about it so I don't have to. How do they take the measurements for the luggage? Do they count the wheels and pegs that make the bags stand up straight? Or do they just take the measurements of the actual bag? We usually fly Continental, so I just don't know how wierd they are about it. Also, has anyone ever used a backpack as their one personal item with AirTran? I have done that with Continental, but wasn't sure if it was ok with AT.

On a side note, we paid the fee of $6.00 for our 12 people going to be able to pick our seats. One time when Disney booked our flights they had us seated all spread out on the plane. My four year old was in the very last seat of the plane sitting with strangers. We had to shift people around in order to be close to everyone and to make sure our little one was right next to one of us. We like knowing our seats are picked.

Thanks for the help with my questions guys!
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: