Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I don't think your article is truly a fair comparison. In your blog, you are choosing the least expensive item at the Table Service restaurant and the most expensive at the Quick Service restaurant.

If you're going to compare the Yak and Yeti restaurants, compare prices of the same dish:
Quote:
TS: Lo Mein - Lo mein noodles, carrots, cabbage, green onions and bean sprouts. Served with chicken $15.99 or with Shrimp $17.99

QS: Beef lo Mein - . - $10.99

+++

TS: Crispy Honey Chicken (Picture) - Tempura chicken, broccoli, carrots and honey sauce. - $16.99

QS: Honey Chicken - Honey Chicken - $9.99
You are definitely paying more at a sit down restaurant. Can it be done? YES. Is it worth it? That's up to each person.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I don't think your article is truly a fair comparison. In your blog, you are choosing the least expensive item at the Table Service restaurant and the most expensive at the Quick Service restaurant.

If you're going to compare the Yak and Yeti restaurants, compare prices of the same dish:

You are definitely paying more at a sit down restaurant. Can it be done? YES. Is it worth it? That's up to each person.
Point well taken...however..

In all reality, the purpose of including some dishes and their prices was not to equate what the same meal would cost at a QS vs TS. The point was to raise the question...are QS meals increasing to the point of becoming closer to the cost of a TS meal? For some (and seemingly more and more), this is the case.

The Cobb salad which was mentioned, for example, is actually an appetizer for two people that was used as an entree. I was much more stuffed from that than the burger I had at a QS that same week. One could then say that you are getting more food and of a better quality at TS as opposed to QS which would justify a few extra dollars.

Similarly, it's obvious that most would see that I never picked out lobster or steak to compare; we all know those dishes cost more.

Another factor that many have brought up here, on the blog comments page, and on FB is the fact that the TiW card brings TS meal costs down quite a bit. When weighing that against the QS scale, it definitely raises a question of which option is best to spend one's money on.

How one dines is obviously going to be different from person to person. With that being said, I think looking at some of the costs of items in both types of eateries is worth a look. There is a large population of folks who believe the only "reasonable" and "affordable" option is QS; after really thinking about how much the average QS meal costs, TS might be a better option for some.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: