Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

new blog: A Brief Analysis of Walt Disney World Quick Service: Is It Really a Steal?

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...eally-a-steal/

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Great article, and loved the price comparison.

It's not necessarily time or even money with table service vs quick service but the fact you have to make reservations and plan around those meals about 6 months in advance that seems to be the bigger problem for me.

Although I think I might try more table service next time I go, I didn't realize the Quick service prices went up that much!

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Interesting. Very interesting. I hadn't realized the CS prices had gone up so much. The problem that I see is ........ desserts. What to do about the desserts? I can easily pass on any desserts that might be served at CS or even at the carts and things in the parks, I'm honestly not a big dessert person, but eat at the Brown Derby and not have grapefruit cake? ($7.00) Dine at Chefs De France and not indulge in the Creme Brulee? ($7.25) Enjoy a meal at Olivia's and leave without having Key Lime Tart? ($7.00) ... no my bill would not be dessert free and so there still is a money saving aspect of CS even if the entrees can be more expensive.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
goofeyken
Mouseketeer

I agree 100%. We've been doing this for a while now. Instead of eating CS at the MK for lunch, we jump on the monorail and head to Kona for lunch. We can get a good quality burger and fries for a couple dollars more than any CS in the MK. The atmosphere is much more relaxed and the food quality is so much nicer. We've even done this a few times at Epcot, we just walk over to the Captains Grille at the Yacht Club.

We'll do CS if we have to but its hard not to just leave the park for a while for better food and a relaxing meal.

goofeyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

very interesting article!!!!

we did the dining plan for the first time last year, so it was the first time that we had a sit down meal every single day and we discovered how enjoyable it was to do that....

most of our TS meals were late lunch (at about 2)....by that time we were really really really in need of a long, cold, relaxing break...which is exactly what we got....we could have taken less time, but we didn't want to....eating a slow relaxing meal, with our drinks continuously refilled for us was just what the doctor ordered....
the most pleasant time we've ever had in hellish august!!!

i didn't pay attention to the prices, but based on the findings in the article i see that it makes sense even if you're not on the dining plan...

by the way, we used our CS credits back at the resort food court in the evening...it worked out perfectly that way...
(and for anyone who keeps kosher, the kosher selection in the Pop Century food court is far superior to the counter service locations in the parks...in our group of 6, we had 3 who were eating kosher....the better selection at the pop was something we discovered on the first night...so it really didn't make sense for them to eat counter service anywhere else)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Without having any Dining Plan, I find that the use of the Tables in Wonderland Dining Discount Card (Cost $75 for AP holders or $100 for DVC Members or Florida Residents) save $21.30 (including tax) per $100 of menu pricing. So it significantly lowers the cost of Table Service.

And I find that I can usually get a reservation at any restaurant I want withing five days and very often the day before.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Interesting. Very interesting. I hadn't realized the CS prices had gone up so much. The problem that I see is ........ desserts. What to do about the desserts? I can easily pass on any desserts that might be served at CS or even at the carts and things in the parks, I'm honestly not a big dessert person, but eat at the Brown Derby and not have grapefruit cake? ($7.00) Dine at Chefs De France and not indulge in the Creme Brulee? ($7.25) Enjoy a meal at Olivia's and leave without having Key Lime Tart? ($7.00) ... no my bill would not be dessert free and so there still is a money saving aspect of CS even if the entrees can be more expensive.
I guess I forgot to consider the "dessert-aholics" when writing my article. I'm not a huge dessert person so it isn't customary at every meal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Without having any Dining Plan, I find that the use of the Tables in Wonderland Dining Discount Card (Cost $75 for AP holders or $100 for DVC Members or Florida Residents) save $21.30 (including tax) per $100 of menu pricing. So it significantly lowers the cost of Table Service.

And I find that I can usually get a reservation at any restaurant I want withing five days and very often the day before.
Good point about TiW cards!

I'd be interested in hearing what time of year you vacation. Personally, I only go during peak season and this is never the case unless I want to eat dinner at 9 or 10 at night.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

Good point about TiW cards!

I'd be interested in hearing what time of year you vacation. Personally, I only go during peak season and this is never the case unless I want to eat dinner at 9 or 10 at night.
in august last year, i was able to get some walk ups when our plans changed..
and also to change reservations the day before..

DD is there now and she was able to book chef mickeys for last night on thursday (in other words, after she got to WDW)...
Old 08-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Good article (generally a great blog).

Now maybe I can coax my wife into doing a few more TS meals next time.

mmmmm cream brulee....
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
in august last year, i was able to get some walk ups when our plans changed..
and also to change reservations the day before..

DD is there now and she was able to book chef mickeys for last night on thursday (in other words, after she got to WDW)...
I have never had trouble walking up during anytime of year.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
I have never had trouble walking up during anytime of year.
i was surprised last year, as we were a group of 6...but we were still able to get walk ups when we tried....i wouldn't have expected a group of 6 to be able to do that!!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Is August technically considered peak season though? I thought the summer peak season was June-July.

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

Well, that's a real eye opener.

I thought maybe we'd do just QS on our next trip, but this has me rethinking that plan.

Actually, the best value for us has been buying groceries at Publix and Whole Foods (for pre-prepared meals) and cooking all our meals at the BWV! I love pulling the table over to the window and "dining" in the privacy of our room.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklabs View Post
Actually, the best value for us has been buying groceries at Publix and Whole Foods (for pre-prepared meals) and cooking all our meals at the BWV! I love pulling the table over to the window and "dining" in the privacy of our room.
I can see that too. I love going out to eat though, so it's more fun for me to pick a restaurant at a resort or in the parks. I do know friends who order a few appetizers for their meal and that cuts cost too.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
capecodprincess
There must be more than this provincial life!

Loved this article, thank you! I actually usually end up with the DxDP. I love being able to sit for an hour at each meal and enjoy really great food. It breaks up my day because I don't ever go back to the resort mid-day. And, off the top of my head, there are only two CS restaurants that I enjoy and plan into my trip....the rest, all TS.

me, 24- 5 trips (06-off property, 08-POFQ, 09-CSR, 10-FW, 10-POP)
dh, 26- 0 trips
capecodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: