Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Jotash
Mouseketeer

OT: A Lurker Wants to Share...I'm Healing!!

Hello to all,

I have been a member of the DIS Boards since 2005, I read the boards every day, and listen to the podcast every week, but I still haven't reached 200 posts, so I guess I'm a lurker. I wanted to share some news with my virtual friends.

Last December 5th, I was involved in a very bad car accident. I was on my way to work. I was making a left turn with an arrow, a very large truck going about 60 ran the red light and smashed into my Chevy Aveo (RIP). The next thing I knew I was across the front seat of my car, my head bleeding, and the person who hit me was standing in the intersection screaming, "Is she dead?" My first question to myself was, "Am I?"

My car was a complete loss. The whole front end was GONE! If I had been just a little further into the intersection, I would have been gone too, so I thank God for that each day.

After a trip to the emergency room, I was left with a concussion, a fractured orbital bone, and a broken arm (all were caused by the airbag!). I was released from the hospital in a splint and told to follow up with an orthopedic doctor for my arm in two days.

The doctor I was referred to didn't, in my opinion, do what he was supposed to do (but that is a discussion for another time.) He didn't put a cast on my arm opting for a different "methods" and my bone came out of alignment, so it never healed. Six months later, my arm was in worse shape than it was right after the accident. This was blamed on me, although I was following his instructions to the letter (once again - another time). I was in pain all during this time, ranging from annoying to excruciating.

My life got even more depressing. I had to cancel a trip to Disney in December due to my injury, my dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and died in February, and my beloved cat who was 22 that I adopted at six weeks old (Joey, the JO in my username) died in April. I switched doctors and had surgery on my arm on June 11.

Sorry to ramble on, the bottom line today is after an appointment with my new doctor yesterday (2 months post-op), my arm is finally healing. I am pain free except for some annoying soreness due to not using the arm for almost eight months. I also reached a (very nice) settlement with the person who hit me.

I am ready to celebrate!!! I've never been on a Disney cruise, so how does a little Land and Sea Vacay sound?

I don't know if anyone will be able to get through all of this, but if you did, thanks for reading. I really wanted to share my happiness and I'm hoping all of this is the start of a new, brighter period in my life.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

CONGRATULATIONS . Nice you are out of pain and your arm is getting back to as normal as possible. I have to say I hate when Dr's blame something they "tried" not working on the patient not following directions. Have a fun time at Disney. Sounds like you serserve a good long vacation. Let me also say that I am sorry obout your father's passing. Your cat was with you so long his passing was a shock also. I hope life gets easier for you now.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Glad to hear that things are improving!!! Please keep us posted and keep up your good spirits. Sending
Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

When it rains, it pours!

I am glad you are on the mend now. I went on my very first cruise this summer and had an amazing time so a Disney cruise sounds like a great way to continue the healing process!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
TIGGERmetoo
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear things are turning upward. You'll have a great time on a cruise.

Terri

TIGGERmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Hopefully this is a start of a new, wonderful time in your life. A time of healing and enjoying life!

Doctors blaming patients really bug me! I was had my optomitrist tell me (when my glasses weren't working ) that I should have had my eyes pushed closer to the 'machine' when he was testing my eyes. Really!!!! so it's my fault. Needless to say, he is no longer my optomitrist.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

Life has so many twists and turns. I am glad that your road at this moment is a little easier. So enjoy and book your Disney Cruise and celebrate.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Great to hear that things are moving in the right direction! Land & Sea sounds like fun! You deserve it.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Wow, thank you for posting. I'm so glad you are getting well.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Kimberle
WL Vet

Glad you are finally healing. Sounds like time for some R&R! Enjoy your cruise!
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Jotash
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the well-wishes! I am trying to post more often these days. I would love to do one of the DIS trips, but money and/or schedule have never permitted it.

I know the post sounds very gloomy, but I feel great. After so many months of bad news to have my doctor say it looks good made me cry. I actually hugged him! He was a bit taken aback by that, but laughed. I think he was worried I was going to muss his hair - he's very Dr. McDreamy!

My husband and I are waiting to hear what the final settlement is after my lawyer gets his cut and medical co-pays are paid. It should still be enough to set up a nice trust fund for my son, pay off some bills, do some home repairs, put a bit in the bank, and take a vacation. It was a terrible way to get the money, but I want to be smart about it when I do get it.

Last edited by Jotash; 08-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Jotash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Welcome! Glad you have come out of "lurker-dom"!!

It sounds like you have made it through a very rough year and are ready to celebrate.
I can neve think of a better way to celebrate anything than with a Disney trip. WDW, Disneyland, Disney Cruise... They all work for me.

The December Podcast Cruise is actually fairly reasonable when you consider you have a full week of hotel, food and fun for one flat price. Plus, you are surrounded by DIS friends!

I suggest contacting Dreams Unlimited and they can help you put together a land/sea package that works for you and your family.

We'll see you on the boards.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hope you enjoy your fabulous vacation!

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Sounds like if anyone deserves a cruise it's you! Glad you are feeling better!

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
DisLUV
DIS Veteran

So happy things seem to be on the right track.
DIS Dad's Club Member
DisLUV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: