Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Disney Mobile Magic vs. My Disney Experience

This is weird. Two Disney-produced apps with wildly conflicting information...

At 1:30 (Eastern Time) today, My Disney Experience app said:
Tower of Terror -- 110 minutes, Fast Passes: Not Available
Rock n Roller Coaster -- 30 minutes, Fast Passes: 7:20-8:30 pm
Great Movie Ride -- 10 minutes
Toy Story Mania -- 90 minutes, Fast Passes: Not Available

At exactly the same time, Disney Mobile Magic (only the generic info since I'm not in Hollywood Studios):
Tower of Terror -- See Now, Fast Passes: Available
Rock n Roller Coaster -- See Now, Fast Passes: Available
Great Movie Ride -- Moderate
Story Mania -- High Demand, Fast Passes: Limited Availability

I can understand that other apps not produced directly by Disney might have conflicting information, but it seems very strange to see these contradictions between the two apps which supposedly give the same info as what is posted at the attractions.

Anybody have any ideas on this? Which of the two apps would you trust?

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
JQuatt21
Mouseketeer

g-dadd, I dont use either app.. However, I know this dosent answer your question but in the itunes app store, i downloaded an app called disney world magical guide. Not only does it have park maps, hours of operations etc... but the ride wait times are pretty accurate. And it has the ability to have a user update the wait times if it hasnt been updated or changed. I know this dosent really answer your question, but you shoud check it out!

Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012
JQuatt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
ThinkTink!
All it takes is faith and trust. Oh! And something I forgot. Dust!

That is odd. I downloaded My Disney Experience last night because from what I have read this app is to replace Mobile Magic. Not sure if users having the ability to update wait times is a positive thing.......

ThinkTink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTink! View Post
That is odd. I downloaded My Disney Experience last night because from what I have read this app is to replace Mobile Magic. Not sure if users having the ability to update wait times is a positive thing.......
JQuatt21 is referring to another non Disney app.

If everything is working, the My Disney Experience app does't need updating since it should already know the times since it gets them directly from the Disney servers.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
JQuatt21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
JQuatt21 is referring to another non Disney app.

If everything is working, the My Disney Experience app does't need updating since it should already know the times since it gets them directly from the Disney servers.
Chartle,
I must be a little behind. The My Disney Experience app.... That is different than the VErizon.My Disney Mobile App???

Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012
JQuatt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuatt21 View Post
Chartle,
I must be a little behind. The My Disney Experience app.... That is different than the VErizon.My Disney Mobile App???
The first official wait times app was Disney Mobile Magic thats been around for a few years and now works on any carrier with a large number of phones.

The My Disney Experience app appears to replace this official app and currently only works on iPhones.

The new version seems like its part of the next gen or what ever you call it fast past touring system.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

OK, is anyone else having issues logging into the app? Is it because I am at home? I get to log in with my username and password, then it has me choose answers to 2 security questions and then it says "loading" forever and never does anything beyond that.

Do I need to log in to do anything with this app?

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
cobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
dnsmills
Disney Obsessed

The Mobile Magic app will only give you FP times when you're in the park. MDE app tells you the time no matter where you're at. The maps on MDE are MUCH better than on the DMM app. I plan on checking them against each other during my upcoming trip but I have a feeling the MDE app will be the more accurate one.
Art of Animation - Dec 2012
Disneyland - October 2014
Art of Animation - Dec 2015

dnsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Mandak22
Earning My Ears

I've been at the park this week, and have logged onto both apps. I think the My Disney Experience app is much better, especially with dining, and is pretty consistent with wait times and fast pass times. The only downside I've found is it sometime takes awhile to refresh when you ask to refresh, thought that could be the signal strength.
Mandak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandak22 View Post
The only downside I've found is it sometime takes awhile to refresh when you ask to refresh, thought that could be the signal strength.
My totally stupid question - how do you refresh the MDE app? On the Undercoer tourist app, it tells me when it was last updated on pretty much every screen. And a quick drag down of the screen refreshes. I can't seem to find how to actually do this on MDE. I can't be this stupid. Can anybody help?
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

The weirdest thing with the app is when I choose Canada when updating my profile it switches postal code to zip code. Then of course it will not fix my zip code. Why doesn't it carry over your website info if you are using the same email and password?

This kept me from creating an account at first but it is now showing me wait times. Still have my UT app as a back up.
Mom2HandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
ScarletFire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmat1

My totally stupid question - how do you refresh the MDE app? On the Undercoer tourist app, it tells me when it was last updated on pretty much every screen. And a quick drag down of the screen refreshes. I can't seem to find how to actually do this on MDE. I can't be this stupid. Can anybody help?
Refresh by by touching the screen and dragging your finger down; at the top it says release to update.

I wish MDE linked to your ADR's, or does it?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

So MDE is telling me that at 11:30am, Monsters Inc has a 50 minute wait, but Peter Pan only has a 15 minute wait. It's also saying that all FP are unavailable.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsmills View Post
The Mobile Magic app will only give you FP times when you're in the park. MDE app tells you the time no matter where you're at. The maps on MDE are MUCH better than on the DMM app. I plan on checking them against each other during my upcoming trip but I have a feeling the MDE app will be the more accurate one.
I am thinking this is likely the reason for the differences mentioned in the OP. Could also just be that since it is new they are working through the bugs.
I'd compare them too, if they release an android version.......
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
got2sammies
DIS Veteran

I used them both last week and Epcot would not load on the MDE.. The other parks worked fine and yes the MDE app was slow to load at times but it was pretty accurate once it did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: