Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #76
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Pat! I keep telling myself I just can't read another TR, then they reach out and pull me in. Your title did that. I was thinking, "How bad can it be?" I don't know why all the little emergencies happen just before a trip - maybe just so we can let out a bigger sigh when we hit the seat in the plane

I just got the Razor, too! I wanted the Galaxy II but they were out of them - now I have phone envy cuz DS and DDIL got the SIII, but I do like the Razor and so far, no problems with freeze ups. I was having trouble with the battery life, but it was because I had too many things running - DS had me download an app killer and it helps alot!

Looking forward to more
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #77
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Pat! I keep telling myself I just can't read another TR, then they reach out and pull me in. Your title did that. I was thinking, "How bad can it be?" I don't know why all the little emergencies happen just before a trip - maybe just so we can let out a bigger sigh when we hit the seat in the plane

I just got the Razor, too! I wanted the Galaxy II but they were out of them - now I have phone envy cuz DS and DDIL got the SIII, but I do like the Razor and so far, no problems with freeze ups. I was having trouble with the battery life, but it was because I had too many things running - DS had me download an app killer and it helps alot!

Looking forward to more
p[arty: Hi Tammie.

That how I am too- Can't possible pick up another TR but yet I always
do.

This trip had all the signs and history- so many moving parts and at a busy time at work.

I really like the Razr an just did the ice cream sandwich update. Now I like it even more.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #78
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

What's in a name?

What’s in a name?

Welcome all and it is great to see so much love.
I am glad you are all sticking with me even though I said I had a horrible trip. Either that or you all just like to see a train wreck.

I have commented before on the title came from events leading up to the trip which some have already been disclosed. There were events during the trip that may or may not have happened, but certainly had the potential to make a trip horrible and finally events that resulted in me uttering those very words.

“Oh what a horrible trip… “

Let us start with an answer to the question...

How can it be horrible??

1) The phone fiasco had lots of potential. If I ignored it then I may have lost communication during the trip. Not cool when you have kids. They are considered adults and certainly can take care of themselves but still the thought of not at least being in touch is scary.

2) Work. I am issued an iphone for work. I never really use it because I am much more comfortable with my droid but it is the number that is used for emergencies. The real emergency phone is my droid. Only certain people have that one and if it is work calling, I really need to answer. Work 2.0 – the whole brochure thing. I could have had it done early if the swim lesson thing was worked out but a cancelled meeting delayed things. When it was rescheduled, I must have mentioned a billion times I was going on vacation and would not be able to get my stuff set up because the framework was not there.

3) The House and Kids- What if something went wrong at home? Sure their dad was in town and available but still as a mom I would hope all goes well with them and the house.

4) Road trip- I was driving so lots of potential there for disaster. Driving around Disney Property also has some risk. Considering I have never done it- How lost do I get? Do I just park the car and use Disney transportation or keep going in circles?

5) Weather- Going in July. Am I nuts? Oh and there is a heat wave making it extra hot. Oh and it rains in Fl. Most every day during the summer. How wet would I get?

6) School – School ? Well Chris was going to college and tuition is due the first week in July. Of course I can’t pay it early but I can do it online. I forget and all his classes get cancelled.

7) Allergies- I have many food and environmental allergies. My last trip report When in doubt feed the bear... But not that! shows what happens when I come in contact with some of those things.

8) General Disney disasters- Like but not limited to – showing up for a buffet 2 minutes after they close and get denied food, trying to get a sword through airport security, running into a concrete planter because you are starving after being denied food or the worst one my tumble monkey not performing on the day I go see it. Yeah, those disasters.

9) Packing disasters. With being split between 2 destinations did I forget something? Either leave it at the beach or forget to pack it all together?

10) Finally – the snit- every trip has one…. Or do they? What would cause the meltdown this time and how long would it last.

I may make you wait a bit before I tell you how this trip got that name. I am not being mean, but the time is just not right now.

Where did I really leave off? I had the car packed that morning

I had ¾ of a day of work and almost stressed myself out in the process but finally escaped and I was careening down the road on the way to the beach.

Seabrook Island to be exact. Total of about 4 hours. Friends were already at the condo having left earlier. I stopped by the friend’s house earlier whose condo it was, to take some things that she could not fit in her car.

The drive itself was rather uneventful, mostly hwy and nothing horrible to speak of.

My job was to stop and get the pizza on the way to the island. That and Swimming Olympic trials was our only activities that evening.

The next day was a beautiful day and for lack of a better word I just bummed around. Went to the beach, swam, went to the pool etc.

My friend had her dogs at the beach so an early morning walk was in order. We were not directly on the beach so a car ride was in order.

The ears flapping in the wind was priceless.

On the way we saw a hungry gator.

Playing catch was a must

I tried another picture with Jacks ears out like the flying nun.

Ahhh the open sea.

I instantly relax when I hear the ocean.

We showered and changed and headed to a place nearby for breakfast.
Some decorations out front.

Some general hanging out but I will say I did NOT build a sandcastle or get sunburnt but did hike chairs and coolers down the longest walkway to the beach and swam and relaxed.
More friends were due in that day and we had a nice dinner. No pics of dinner but some lovely sunset pictures.

The daytime view from where we ate.

It was hotter than all getout but being by the ocean certainly helped. By Friday night it was time to repack some things and get ready to hit the road again.

DISNEY HERE I COME!!!!!
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 08-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #79
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Off to a great start and not horrible yet! Jack looks like my Bailey's brother.

Jill in CO
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #80
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Love your "What's in a name", "Nyah-Nyah- I'm not going to tell you" teaser!

I especially love your General Disney disasters examples. Well, I don't love that they happened to you, but those are some interesting situations.

Great pictures from the beach!!! Looks beautiful, fun and relaxing!

Cute gator, too!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #81
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ok so far...doesn't sound horrible at all.

Phone is fixed, you are at the beach and with friends and cute dogs! Looks pretty heavenly and unhorrible at the moment.

That tuition payment being due while gone would have stressed me out to no end though! Especially now that I've experienced how wonderful (not) the wifi is at the resorts. I think I'd selectively forgotten as we didn't bring a computer in 2010 or 11 so it was back in 2009 and I was using an ethernet cable at the cabins! Which was also slow....

Nothing you forget that you can't buy.

Which doesn't make it any less inconvenient or expensive. Nothing worse than eating away at souvenir money for supplies of some sort.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #82
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Off to a great start and not horrible yet! Jack looks like my Bailey's brother.

Jill in CO

So far so good . I really enjoyed the beach time. Nice to really have almost nothing to do before the parks start calling.

My friend has 2 dogs and Jack is the crazy one. Monty is the neurotic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Love your "What's in a name", "Nyah-Nyah- I'm not going to tell you" teaser!

I especially love your General Disney disasters examples. Well, I don't love that they happened to you, but those are some interesting situations.

Great pictures from the beach!!! Looks beautiful, fun and relaxing!

Cute gator, too!
I really was going to spoil the name earlier but as I was writing it make more sense to wait.

I have had many Disney Disasters, some big some small.

The beach was fun. The turtles were nesting and I forgot to mention that but no real good pictures that I can find. I guess add that to the horrible list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Ok so far...doesn't sound horrible at all.

Phone is fixed, you are at the beach and with friends and cute dogs! Looks pretty heavenly and unhorrible at the moment.

That tuition payment being due while gone would have stressed me out to no end though! Especially now that I've experienced how wonderful (not) the wifi is at the resorts. I think I'd selectively forgotten as we didn't bring a computer in 2010 or 11 so it was back in 2009 and I was using an ethernet cable at the cabins! Which was also slow....

Nothing you forget that you can't buy.

Which doesn't make it any less inconvenient or expensive. Nothing worse than eating away at souvenir money for supplies of some sort.
Not horrible. Beach was wonderful, just the break I needed.

The tuition payment was on my radar and you are right on all accounts. Also you have to assume that when the bill became available, everything would be correct.

We have discussed the anything you forget you can buy and with the car that becomes so easy to do.

Also buying things I could not previously transport home is a plus.
Can't wait to go back
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #83
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Joining in, like others the title drew me in. Hope your trip wasn't too horrible

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #84
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Looks like your trip is starting out great! You're packed, you're with friends and dogs at the beach, and the sun is shining! Love it!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #85
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh Pat - the whole tuition thing would have really stressed me out. I feel like it takes me so long to figure out how to do anything in Brian's Salisbury University account. Heck, it took me two days to figure out how to pay for the parking permit. YIKES! That's bad. And then they keep upgrading the software and the appearance of the account keeps changing, so nothing makes sense.

So, your beach trip sounds pretty nice. I really wish I could see your pics. I'll have to come back and do that later.

The whole phone thing also freaks me out. I leave my phone on 24/7 because, well, I have kids and even when they are IN the house, I leave it on in case they sneak out.

I hope there are no more allergy attacks on this trip and I hope its not scorching hot.

Looking forward to Disney!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #86
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

It doesn't sound too horrible yet so I am anxious to see what happens!

Oh, I love the ocean. So relaxing. The dogs look like they were enjoying it too.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #87
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

EEEEEEEEKKKKK I'm excited the fun part started you left woohooo that means the adventure begins

Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #88
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

way to get yourself more relaxed before you go to disney, nice beach stay

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #89
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

So far the beach part of your trip sounds perfect. Loved the picture of the dogs in car.

Here's hoping the Disney part of your trip was great too.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #90
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Well, if you keep worrying about what could go wrong... All right, I'll wait and see what happens.

That one dog, the non-Jack one, looks like he's having the time of his life on that car ride!

So, can a poolrat really relax at a pool on vacation? Or is it an occupational hazard that you're watching swimmers and itching to yell at some kids for running?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: