Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #31
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Toga! Toga! Toga!

Looks like a fun day- I am jealous of the shorts and crepe myrtles- we are going to the Yankees game tonight, and it is miserable and cccccold here-
Wait, it's supposed to be 70 here today. I'll take it after miserable and cold the last couple days!

So, Bill I don't know how it happened, but I totally missed your Grease Fest update. Now I am at work and so bummed that I can't see my very first fried oreo. I am pretty sure they do fried twinkies at the Delaware State Fair but I have been afraid to even look at one. Because, seriously, can't you gain weight just by looking at one? That's what I heard.

Be back later tonight for a virtual view of your grease-tastic treats.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

What a fun festival. I would so love to try most of what you showed us.

Grumpy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Toga! Toga! Toga!

Looks like a fun day- I am jealous of the shorts and crepe myrtles- we are going to the Yankees game tonight, and it is miserable and cccccold here-

So....didn't I hear somewhere you went to Hawaii last month????
Speaking of togas...my frat in college had an annual Toga Party a few weeks prior to spring semester finals and normally everyone wore bedsheets (think the scene from the movie Animal House). I was telling my parents about the Toga Party, well parts of it, and my mother said I needed to wear something besides a bedsheet so she proceeded to make me a Roman soldier costume. It was similar to the one on the left...

It had the pleated bottom and the leather tunic of the man on the left complete with sword and the footwear of the man on the right but no head gear! I would have worn it to the festival but over the years it has shrunk considerably in my closet due to the high humidity we have down here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wait, it's supposed to be 70 here today. I'll take it after miserable and cold the last couple days!

So, Bill I don't know how it happened, but I totally missed your Grease Fest update. Now I am at work and so bummed that I can't see my very first fried oreo. I am pretty sure they do fried twinkies at the Delaware State Fair but I have been afraid to even look at one. Because, seriously, can't you gain weight just by looking at one? That's what I heard.

Be back later tonight for a virtual view of your grease-tastic treats.
Catch up MEK...the real TR is about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
What a fun festival. I would so love to try most of what you showed us.
It was a fun time had by one and all. Now...which things would you want to try?

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Okay enough about why the TR was delayed. You’re here for a TR and a TR ye shall receive!

Some of this will be repeating the original post so bear with me but since it has been a while, please indulge me.

DW and I were married in August, 1982. We had the chance to travel to Hawaii for our honeymoon and jumped at it since we figured (figured is for you Southerners, for others-guessed, surmised, thought) we would not return for a while. Little did we know how intuitive we would be because it took 30 years to return! Our honeymoon was spent on the island of Kauai.

Here are a few pics from that trip...

As you can see, the quality of pictures has changed considerably in 30 years. For MUCH better pics and a great TR about Kauai, see podsnel’s TR here... http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2986038

With Disney opening a new DVC resort on Oahu in August, 2011, it was a no-brainer for us to return to Hawaii for our 30th anniversary using our DVC membership and stay at Aulani Resort & Spa!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Monday – Sep 3rd

We left our house on Labor Day morning about 7 a.m. and we weren’t 10 minutes from the house when DW realized she had left her phone charger. Whew! I’m glad we weren’t further down the road so we turned around and made a beeline back to the house, got the charger and back on the road. Crisis averted, right? Au contraire mon ami…more on that later.

On our honeymoon to Hawaii 30 years ago, we almost missed our connecting flight from Jackson, MS to Dallas, TX. It’s a long story but DW was on the plane while I was dealing with an overzealous airport rent-a-cop. She had told Delta airlines what was happening as she boarded, that this was our honeymoon and they took pity on us and actually held the plane! When I finally finished with the Kojak-wanna-be, I did my best O J Simpson imitation (the airline commercial, not that other “glove don’t fit” thing) and took off running through the terminal to the Delta ticket counter. They took me behind the counter, through the baggage area, to the plane, shut the door to the plane and before I could sit down, we were moving towards the runway! Do you think that kind of thing would happen today? NOT!!

Fortunately, things went a lot smoother this time around. I kept looking over my shoulder for Boss Hogg to show up again but I guess he has since retired.

We arrived at the airport in Jackson, MS in plenty of time. It has been a while since we have flown and with the added security measures and with the horror stories we have heard about TSA, we were a bit apprehensive about going through security. DW has a titanium rod in her back and I could just see her setting off the metal detector and some TSA agent wanting to do a strip search, me getting in a fight because the TSA agent got too frisky and we have to scrap the whole trip because I was in some federal prison. With my luck, it could happen! We were also worried about the weight limits on our luggage. One ended up 42 lbs and the other was 48 lbs. Whew, but so much for any heavy souvenirs for the return trip! Okay, on to TSA.

I was waiting for the flashing red lights and the electrified net to fall on our heads but there were no problems at all, which in itself is kind of scary. A metal rod about the size of a rifle barrel did not set off the detectors in Jackson, MS, Dallas, TX or Honolulu, HI. Hmmmm. Anyway, we left the Jackson airport without any problems or delays and arrived in Dallas. We had just 1 hour & 10 minutes to catch our flight from Dallas to Honolulu and not having been to the Dallas airport in about 28 years, we were wondering how this would work. Again, no problems. Dallas airport has a tram that will take you from one terminal to the next in no time at all. We are sitting outside our boarding gate and have enough time to get a bite to eat. It is then that DW realized she had left her phone charger in the vehicle! You remember, the one we turned around to go back home and retrieve! Sighhh. Nothing to do but pay airport prices to buy one in Dallas. Sighhhh again.

Okay, we board our plane in Dallas and nothing. We can’t leave. It seems that a latch in the cockpit isn’t working properly so we have to wait for maintenance to go get one. This is American Airlines...you know the airline that recently had to cancel numerous flights because the passenger seats came loose in flight and were moving around the plane! Back to our trip - I think they had to run down to the local hardware store to get it because we sat there for 35 minutes! I’m not sure, but I think I saw a flight attendant pull a hairpin out of her beehive and give it to the pilot to fix the problem.

Sooooooo…we finally take off…ascend up to our cruising altitude of 36,000 ft with a ground speed of 549mph and an outside temp of 56 degrees below zero!! Now you know why it is so cold on those long flights! We were seated in the row just behind the emergency exit and somewhere over California, I noticed this

(Continued in next post...)

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

That is the Emergency Exit latch and it has come loose from the door!!!

I can just see it popping that door open and I get sucked out of the plane for a nice little side trip down nearly 7 miles! I point it out to the flight attendant and she pushes on it…it pops back out…she shrugs her shoulders and moves on! YIKES!! Just let me say, it’s an 8 hour flight from Dallas to Honolulu and there was no sleeping for me!! I watched that latch like a hawk….like there would be anything I could do if it released the door.

Other than that, the flight was smooth. There were two movies to watch – “What to expect when you’re expecting” & “Moneyball”. Both were okay but they definitely pushed their PG-13 rating. After both movies were over, we still had nearly 3 hours of flight time. DW has an iPad so we were playing games on it to pass the time. The rest of the trip was uneventful and we started to make our descent to Honolulu. Not a bad view...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

We arrived okay and had no problems collecting our luggage. There are only a few car rental places that have an actual desk inside Honolulu airport. Most of them are located away from the terminal and you have to get a shuttle bus to their location. We chose Dollar Rental because they had a desk in the airport but lo and behold, no one was at the desk when we arrived! They close at 5:00pm and remember that flight delay in Dallas? We were supposed to arrive at 4:15pm and it was now 5:05! My luck has not changed! There was a courtesy phone at the closed counter so I called them and they said to board the shuttle bus outside the terminal to their lot offsite. WHAT?!?! Geez Louise. We could have saved a few dollars by selecting another rental agency but didn’t because their desk was offsite. So we schlep our luggage onto the shuttle bus and take a ride to the Dollar Car rental lot….offsite!

We got to their location and had to wait for the slowest agent in the world to take care of the person in front of us that could not decide on what to rent. C’mon people, don’t most folks have this decided beforehand? Sighhh.

Finally, it was our turn and the agent tried to get us to rent a convertible. Nope, you see this gray in my hair? It does not say convertible. It says give me the SUV I had reserved. I make fun of those old, fat, gray haired men trying to recapture their youthful glory days in a convertible. After successfully convincing him I was not the convertible type, he proceeded to get me to sign the 6 page, Philadelphia-lawyer inspired documents that I’m not sure, but I think included a lien on my future net earnings should I get the car dirty! And BTW, when you reserve a vehicle online and get your price, it does not include a GPS rental in the total so be prepared for that extra charge. Once all that entertaining stuff was complete, I was given my GPS that I had reserved – a Garmin! For those of you that have read my previous TR’s, you will know that I have a love/hate relationship with Garmin GPS. Garmin loves to get me lost and I hate him/her with a passion!

Oh well. We’re done now so I have to take our luggage about 100 yards to where the mid-size SUV is located. For a 6’3” person, a Ford Escape is not mid-sized! I loaded all of our HEAVY luggage, got squared away, backed out and started to pull off and….and….we have a flat! C’mon Disney, where’s this pixie dust I keep hearing others talk about? Does it only work onsite at a Disney resort or theme park? So I trudge back over to the office, go through all that paperwork again, get the keys to another mid-size (auto vernacular for anyone under 5’ 5”!), trudge back to the new vehicle, check the tires 1st, unload the HEAVY luggage from one vehicle, load the HEAVY luggage into the other vehicle and away we go to Aulani!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #38
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

The latch photo was laugh-out-loud funny.....but only as long as it stayed latched, right? WTH??!!?? This TR is staring out great by the way.

Love the "Grease Fest"...I would like a fried zinger.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
The latch photo was laugh-out-loud funny.....but only as long as it stayed latched, right? WTH??!!?? This TR is staring out great by the way.

Love the "Grease Fest"...I would like a fried zinger.
Thanks Lu. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following! Hope to see a TR from you upcoming trip real soon...(hint, hint, hint).

Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #40
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Some would say driving on the island of Oahu is an adventure. Driving with Garmin on Oahu is an exercise in futility, especially since the GPS was giving directions in kilometers instead of miles! Because of my past experiences with Garmin and because I am a CMDVP (Certified Master Disney Vacation Planner-sounds good, doesn’t it?), I print out driving directions using MapQuest and directions from the destination’s website to take with me just in case. Getting to Aulani, Garmin had me taking one route, MapQuest another and Disney’s Aulani website directions another. Also, on Hawaii, they have an Interstate highway system. I have yet to figure out what other State you can drive to on these Interstate highways. There are H1, H2 & H3 Interstate highways. The traffic during morning commute (which starts sometime before 6:00am) is bumper to bumper for 2 hours. The Interstate highways will suddenly end and become a two lane road. The signage will have you cutting across 4 lanes of traffic to exit. Without giving you all the bad directions various instructions suggested, here is the correct one….leave Honolulu airport on H1 Interstate Highway heading west. H1 West turns into Hwy 93 or Farrington Hwy. Take the Ko Olina exit. You will see the Aulani towers on your left between the time H1 West ends and the Ko Olina exit. The exit ramp crosses over Hwy 93 heading South. This is Ali’inui Drive. Go past the guard/information shack, cross the railroad track. The road curves to the left. Paradise Cove is right here. You pass J W Marriott, go thru an intersection and Aulani is immediately on your right. Now how hard is that? I would have given you the exact mileage traveled from point A to point B but since Garmin was reading out kilometers…..

Okay, we are FINALLY at Aulani. Just like all deluxe Disney resorts, the CM’s are top notch and welcome you with a smile. The entrance is very similar to that at Wilderness Lodge. There is a large porte-cochere (fancy word for a covered driveway entrance) and the CM directs you where to stop. He asked if we had used online check-in. We had and gave him our name. You are then given a cup of pineapple-infused water and leis...

Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

For all the times we have used online check-in, Aulani does it right. We never went to the check-in desk. A CM gave us a brief tour of the lobby area and within 5-10 minutes, another CM approaches us with the keys to our room and our welcome packet. I don’t know; maybe you do have to be onsite to get any pixie dust but that was by far the easiest and fastest check-in we have ever experienced. Here are some pics of the lobby area…

(Just for you Joni)

Last edited by saintstickets; 10-14-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #42
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

We have a Studio-Pool view room for the first half of this trip and then we will switch to a 1br-Standard View. We wanted the 1br for the second half of the trip in order to wash clothes. By doing this, we did not have to pack additional clothing and pay for the additional bag or for one that was over the allowed weight. We are given room 504 in the Wai’anae Tower (Where the red circle is on this map)

The room was very nice. Here are a few pics of the room…

Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #43
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Each room has a very nice robe to wear (These robes are available for purchase – no compensation from Disney for this promo spot)

Neither DW nor I drink coffee but this is for those that do

After we get settled in the room, we go back to Hwy 93 and head West for about 6 miles to the small town of Nanakuli. There is a Sak-n-Save grocery store there that we bought a few things to keep in the room. We found out later in the trip that there is one MUCH closer. As you leave Aulani on Ali’inui Drive, there is a condo complex across the road. If you turn off Ali’inui Drive into this complex, there is a small grocery store that you cannot see from the main road. It has the basics plus a deli. You can get pre-prepared sandwiches, soups and other food items or they can prepare something for you while you wait. The prices were very reasonable and the food was excellent. There is also a BBQ restaurant and a Mexican restaurant in the same area. It is within walking distance from Aulani and is a great alternative to eating at the resort for every meal.

We have been up for over 20 hours at this time. The Starlit Hui show is only on Monday and Thursday. We had thought we might do this tonight but no way. We are beat so it’s time to hit the hay. It was a very nice bed, not too hard, not too soft, and within minutes – snorrrrre

Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

SO much to comment on!

I am always amazed what TSA picks up...and what they don't. But I'm glad the rod didn't set anything off. I have seen that latch popped out like that before, I don't actually think it's a big deal but I can see where it might freak one out.

The car situation sounds horrible. Huge time suck which is always frustrating. I've had my share of car drama in Hawaii so I really felt your pain. Interstate highways...I never thought about it to be honest but that's a riot!

Check in and the room looks lovely, I can't wait to see what your view looked like. I am assuming you ate? Either groceries or at one of the locations before you hit the hay. Long day but you are THERE and it looks gorgeous so far!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
DrChuck23
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Living in Dallas I've known several guys who work maintenance for AA at DFW and obviously as the company has struggled, they've pared down the maintenance personnel to where each person is now having to be responsible for a ridiculous amount of items on each plane- there's no way they can get it all done in the 20minutes between deboarding and boarding. No wonder seats are coming loose and evidently emergency latches too.

DVC members since 1/07 (SSR & Aulani)
Married at Disney's Wedding Pavilion, 4/00; Y&B 4/05; BCV & DCL Bahamas 1/07; BWV 9/07; SSR Christmas '07; AKV 6/08; OKW 7/09; ABD Backstage Magic 3/10; Vero Beach & DCL Bahamas 3/11; DCL Alaska 6/12; SSR 10/12; VGF Thanksgiving '13; BCV 3/14; BLT & Vero 6/14
DrChuck23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: