Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #151
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - 3)

It was getting late but we kept to the shore line…

Time to hang ten

(Continued in next post - 4)

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #152
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - 4)

Righteous waves dude!

Kowabunga…more surfing

Waiting for the final wave of the day

(Continued in next post - 5)

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #153
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - 5)

One last ride

And a nice way to end the trek with more beautiful scenery

That was it for the day. No speeding tickets on the return trip and it was late enough that the traffic wasnt bad. On the way back, as we neared Aulani, we turned north onto Olani Street. This is the last cross street on Aliinui Drive before you get to Aulani and if you turned south on Olani Street, you would be at the J W Marriott Resort. We just wanted to see what was down that road and it turned out that there were two small cafes (Ko Olina Hawaiian BBQ and a Taco place) and also a small grocery store, Island Country Market. The grocery store had adult beverages, souvenirs, staples and also had prepared foods as well as a grill for made to order take out. We bought a couple of soup & sandwich meals and a bowl of chili to take back to the room. It was less than $20 total, quite tasty and by far the least expensive meal thus far! We told DD and DSiL to make sure they visit here often when they go to Aulani for their delayed honeymoon on 12/14/12. Good food, easy walking distance from Aulani and very reasonable prices! Too bad we didnt discover this area at the first of the week instead of the end of our trip!

It was late. DW was tired and drained between the migraine, the rain, the walking and the riding. All-in-all, the day ended up much better than it started. I didnt get to swim with the sharks but I probably saved having to clean out my swimsuit as a result!!

Last edited by saintstickets; 12-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #154
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Wonderful trip report! So glad I happened upon it. We are going in May and a lot of the things that you did are on our list. So glad to hear about booking the ranch tour on your own. Did you call them or use the Internet? We did a sea trek excursion on a DCL cruise. It is similar to your underwater scooter excursion, but no scooter. Did you have to decompress as you went down. We did on the sea trek. I was nervous being that far down. Just wondered if you were that far down on the scooters.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #155
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Love the shots of the shoreline. The water is so breathtakingly blue.

So I guess you didn't try your hand at the surfing?

Thanks for the tip on the take-out joints/grocery store near Aulani! We tried to get in there for June and got waitlisted, but I'm taking note just in case the wait list comes through for us.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #156
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
Wonderful trip report! So glad I happened upon it. We are going in May and a lot of the things that you did are on our list. So glad to hear about booking the ranch tour on your own. Did you call them or use the Internet?
Thank you ma'am for the kind words. I called to book the ranch tour because I had a few questions. If you call, remember there is a 5 hour time difference from CST. I didn't the first time I called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
We did a sea trek excursion on a DCL cruise. It is similar to your underwater scooter excursion, but no scooter. Did you have to decompress as you went down. We did on the sea trek. I was nervous being that far down. Just wondered if you were that far down on the scooters.
The area that they took us to use the scooters was only about 25' deep and the scooters were about 15' below the surface so need for decompression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Love the shots of the shoreline. The water is so breathtakingly blue.

So I guess you didn't try your hand at the surfing?
It is really a beautiful place. I have more pictures coming later from our last day at the north shore. No, didn't try surfing. Where we went on the north shore you could tell it wasn't for beginners. Too many rocks that only the locals know where they are located. The waves were normally about 3-6' when we went in September. This time of year, December, they are 15-30'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Thanks for the tip on the take-out joints/grocery store near Aulani! We tried to get in there for June and got waitlisted, but I'm taking note just in case the wait list comes through for us.
It is simple food but good and inexpensive. Hope your waitlist comes through.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #157
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Saturday – September 8th

Today was a day to take it easy. Our plans are to go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet, a couples massage at Aulani’s Laniwai Spa and then dinner tonight at Aulani’s Ama Ama restaurant.

The swap meet at Aloha Stadium is just as it sounds. There are hundreds and hundreds of vendors that ring the OUTSIDE of the stadium to sell their wares. Depending on how many show up for that Saturday, the ring around the stadium may be 2 or 3 deep. On this Saturday, the number of vendors completely surrounded the stadium and a second ring was just inside the main ring and it went about half way around the stadium! If I had to guess, I’d guesstimate that there were over 500 vendors when we were there! We read about this event on the DISboards and was told that this was the place to get your souvenirs. The vendors range from gazillions of t-shirts, wind chimes, wood carvings, jewelry, books, CD/DVD’s, plants, food, musical instruments, plaques, yadda, yadda, yadda…. Some of the items are cheap; some are inexpensive; some are unique; some are bargains; some are more expensive/higher quality items than you would expect for this venue. If you are going to get souvenirs for the folks back home and will be on Oahu on a Saturday, a trip here is well worth your time. It must have been for us, we spent $231 there!

A couple of pics of the swap meet and SOME of the items we purchased from one vendor

The center necklace is mother-of-pearl on a piece of volcanic rock. The two outer necklaces are a tear drop of volcanic rock with a semi-precious stone on top that corresponded with the recipients’ birthstone.

We had an interesting conversation with the woman that we purchased the jewelry from shown above. DW and I live in a small bedroom community called Petal, MS. There are only about 15,000 people in our little hamlet and 90%+ of the residents live here due to the excellent school system. There is no major industry in our town and most everyone works in the larger city across the river, Hattiesburg. As we were talking to the woman selling the jewelry, I asked her where she was from since she had an obvious Germanic accent. She told us she was born in Germany, moved to the mainland US as a teenager and had lived in Hawaii for about 20 years. She asked where we were from and we told her Mississippi…who’s ever heard of Petal, right? She then told us that before she moved to Hawaii, she lived in a small town in Mississippi that we probably never heard of…Petal!! At first I thought she was trying to connect with us in order to sell stuff but I realized I never told her the name of our town. When we told her we lived in Petal, she was obviously shocked! We moved there in 1992 and she said she left about that time. She told us the street she lived on and named a few neighbors that were her friends and we knew the street and one of the neighbors! To quote Walt, “It’s a small world after all!” Can you imagine that? It’s over 4,100 miles from Petal to Honolulu and we run into someone that lived in our little hometown! Amazing.

(Continued in next post)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #158
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post)

We bought all kinds of things at the swap meet. The above mentioned necklaces, two bracelets, a wind chime, some of the sweetest pineapple you’ll ever put in your mouth, a wood carved plaque, a t-shirt and two gag gifts – a ukulele and a grass skirt! It was a pleasant couple of hours at Aloha Stadium. With our purchases all packed up, we headed back to the resort. Along the way, I noticed a vehicle with some writing in the rear window…

Something was odd about it and as we got closer, I realized what it was…

Poor Vinny. I’m glad it is only his first birthday so he won’t be embarrassed by his parents spelling!

On the way back to Aulani, we stopped for lunch at the Ko Olina Hawaiian BBQ place I mentioned earlier. DON’T expect any ambiance because there isn’t any. There are only 4 or 5 booths inside but they had a pretty decent menu. DW got a bacon, egg and rice breakfast platter. I got a garlic shrimp and rice platter. Rice is served on everything I think and they give you two big scoops. With drinks, it was less than $18 for the both of us. Again, nothing fancy but decent food at a reasonable price.

We were back in our room by 12:30 to get ready for our couples massage at 2:00. You can arrive up to one hour early to enjoy the facilities prior to the massage. We chose the Honi Honi “Sealed with a kiss” duet couples massage for 80 minutes. There is a shorter massage at 50 minutes. The Honi Honi is a Lomilomi massage followed by a tropical body butter kiss.

“The Lomilomi massage is a traditional Hawaiian massage that promotes healing. This hands-on massage uses gentle, rhythmic pressure to relieve tension and help you achieve ultimate relaxation.”

Okay, so that’s what the brochure says anyway. DW gets massages regularly but I have NEVER had one. I was a bit apprehensive having some stranger put their hands all over me but I thought this would be a good way to wrap up our trip and I’ll try most anything once so…. Besides, we got a DVC discount so let’s go for it!

(Continued in next post - part 2)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #159
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - part 2)

We arrived about 1:00 and a CM greeted us and showed us around the facilities. The entrance and lobby area

We are taken down a hall to a small pool. On a table there are stones with words of inspiration or healing on the underside. You close your eyes, chose a stone and then toss the stone into the pool.

We were told some kind of Hawaiian legend about the significance of what we just did but I can’t remember any of it. I was thinking too much about what was to come. Our CM guide showed us to the different gender specific preparation rooms and the doors to the outside spa. I can’t tell you what was in the ladies side but the men’s side resembled what I perceive would be an upscale men’s club spa. It was all marble, dark wood, mirrors and piles of warm towels. The changing room had lockers for your clothes. There were individual showers and an area to shave and dry your hair. A CM met me after I had put items in the locker and gave me a thick, warm robe. He showed me the wet sauna and the dry sauna. He then gave me various samples of aromatic salts to choose from. These salts would be infused into the body butter that would be used during the massage. I was then led to the outdoors area of the spa and shown the facilities there. I was told to use whatever I wanted, that my wife would be out shortly to join me and a CM would be out in about 45 minutes to take us to the massage room. Some pics from the outside spa…

A cleansing pool

The hot tub (105 degrees) and cold tub (50 degrees)

The foot massage path

A place to relax

Various outdoor showers

I guess you could get your massage outdoors

I started out in the hot tub and let me tell you…it is HOT!!! I was in just a few minutes when DW joined me. We weren’t there but a short time when a CM appeared and offered us something to drink. We picked correctly by choosing the pineapple water. It hit the spot. After a few minutes we walked around the outdoors area. I put my toe in the cold tub and no way Jose! It was too cold especially after the hot tub. We cooled off by trying the various different outdoor showers and then sat down on the chaise lounges to relax. There was a slight breeze, the temperature was just right and somehow the noises from the resort were not penetrating this area. I’m not sure how long we were out there but eventually a CM approached and told us it was time for our massage. We were told to rinse off, shed our clothes (my words, not hers!) and were shown the room we were to wait in for our massage. In the locker room there is a machine you can put your swim suit in and it acts like a washer spin cycle in that it removes most all moisture. Two spins in that, put it in the locker, put the robe back on and GULP, here we go!

Inside the pre-massage room were about 8 different chaise lounges, more pineapple water and some snack foods. DW joined me shortly and then another CM asked us to follow her to the massage room. Once inside the room, we were introduced to our two masseuses. We were shown the adjoining restroom and told to undress and get under the sheet that was on the massage table and they would return in a few minutes. We did as we were told. DW had a smirk on her face because she knew I was a bit uncomfortable. In a few minutes there was a knock on the door and so it began.

(Continued in next post - part 3)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #160
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - part 3)

For the next 80 minutes or so (I have no idea how long it really was), a woman not known to me until a few minutes before, proceeded to rub, knead, massage and apply oils to approximately 92.4% of my body. (Don’t ask how I arrived at that number!) I started out on my stomach and at some point she asked me to turn over, covered my eyes and then worked on that side. The body oil had the scent that I picked earlier.

I’m here to tell you that during those 80 minutes, with my wife of 30 years about 4 feet away, I was in love with another woman! It was all I could do to keep from asking her to come home with us. It was relaxing, it was tense, it was therapeutic, it was VERY sensuous! What have I been missing all these years?!?! Even DW, who has massages often, said that this one was much better than she usually gets. La madre di dio, molto ottimo!!

Now…before anyone asks…this was not cheap. We could have gone for the 50 minute massage. We could have chosen one of the less expensive therapies. We only get to celebrate our 30th anniversary once so we went with the premium package. There is a slight DVC discount and there is a 20% automatic service charge. The total for everything was $523.78. I know, that’s a lot for about 2 ½ hours of pampering but it was oh so grand. It’s not something I could afford to do all the time but we enjoyed it so much (DW doesn’t know this yet) I am going to set one up for us at the Grand Floridian when we visit WDW next October during F&W.

After that fantastic adventure, we made our way back to our room loose as a goose and ready for…….

(Continued in next post - part 4)

Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #161
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

(Continued from previous post - part 4)

...... loose as a goose and ready for…….

Our 8:15 reservations at Ama Ama. What did you think I was going to say? Get your mind out of the gutter. The DISboards is family oriented!

After getting cleaned up (and now that you hopefully have cleaned up your thoughts!), we made our way down to the restaurant. It was a very pleasant night. We were early so we walked along the beach path, watched a few minutes of the outdoors movie and eventually made our way to Ama Ama. Someone that obviously thought they were a VIP, showed up without reservations and was perturbed that they were not allowed in immediately. He asked to speak to the manager or the executive chef. I was so proud of the CM. She was very tactful and diplomatic but politely told this person that he would have to wait and the wait would be at least an hour since he did not have reservations. He stepped back in a huff to confer with his companions, so I walked right up and said in a voice loud enough for him to hear, “The name is Browning and we have reservations for two at 8:15”. I know, it’s a bit childish but the CM appreciated it, mouthed to me “thank you” and then said loud enough for him to hear this as well, “Right this way Mr. Browning, your table is waiting.” I purposefully avoided looking at Mr. Important as we passed by but I could feel the stare. Tough cookies mister. I made reservations months ago. It serves you right!

Unfortunately, that was the highlight of our meal. We were really anticipating this meal but it did not live up to our expectations. The waiter was great but the food was, well….average. Here were our choices…

We started off with a couple of adult beverages. We were in Hawaii so why not try something local. I had a Liliko'I Mojito (old lahaina light rum, liliko'I aka passion fruit, organic agave nectar, mint and fresh lime juice topped with soda water). DW had a tropical ginger lemonade (skyy infusions pineapple vodka, ginger, and housemade lemonade with a splash of grenadine). They were both VERY sweet…too sweet for us. I couldn’t even finish mine.

For appetizers, I had the Maui onion soup au gratin and DW had the heirloom tomato and mozzarella buratta cheese with a white corn vinaigrette and baby basil. My onion soup was over cooked and the cheese on top was burned. Not lightly singed like it should be but burned black. DW’s appetizer was good but not great.

For our entrées, DW had the catch of the day which was mahi mahi served with island vegetables and potato puree. She got it grilled with a lemon-caper brown butter. I had the Harris Ranch natural Angus beef grilled New York Striploin with potato puree and farmer’s market vegetables served with shallot-red wine sauce. Her fish was dry. My steak was as well. Both were overcooked.

We decided to not try a dessert at this point. It was an expensive “okay” meal. Maybe we had an off night because others have raved about Ama Ama. But based on our experience, if I had to choose one special meal, I would walk across the boulevard to Roy’s….hands down.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #162
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
And a nice way to end the trek with more beautiful scenery

Leave it to you.

Mark - did you put your eyeballs back in their sockets yet.

That's actually a great shot, as they all are. Your pictures look better than ever on my new computer. The colors are so incredibly vibrant and those waves are pretty amazing.

I was watching some show on the the Discovery channel or Weather Channel and they reported that there is a huge number of people who end up in the water going on rocks like that. They showed some pretty impressive rescues.

OK - back to read.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #163
MEK
DIS Veteran

The couples massage sounds great! What a great way to unwind after shopping. I love those necklaces. That place looks so cool. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Sorry that dinner did not live you to your expectations. That is a bummer and I hate when that happens. Your mojito sounds yummy. It was really that sweet? And where are the food pics? That's why I have started using my phone for food pics. Much less obtrusive.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #164
MEK
DIS Veteran

OH - and YEAH that we are going to have a DIS meet in October. Maybe some food & wine around the world? I can't wait to go back. That was SO fun!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #165
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Leave it to you.

Mark - did you put your eyeballs back in their sockets yet.
I admire God's beauty in all shapes and forms...just some shapes and forms more than others.

Quote:
The couples massage sounds great! What a great way to unwind after shopping. I love those necklaces. That place looks so cool. Now that's what I'm talking about.
Kinda guessed this would be DW's favorite day...shopping...massage...dinner

Quote:
Sorry that dinner did not live you to your expectations. That is a bummer and I hate when that happens. Your mojito sounds yummy. It was really that sweet? And where are the food pics? That's why I have started using my phone for food pics. Much less obtrusive.
I have not had any luck at all taking food pics. I don't use a flash so as to try and not disturb the other guests. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Quote:
OH - and YEAH that we are going to have a DIS meet in October. Maybe some food & wine around the world? I can't wait to go back. That was SO fun!
I'm looking forward to F&W next year and meeting you and Denny. I just wish it would hurry up and get here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: