Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
wink13
Just a bit Goofy
 
wink13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 732

Vibe/Edge and a friend

Our son is bringing a friend on our next Diseny Cruise (Disney Dream in Feb 2013). He's very excited but I was wondering with the new policies on the kids club what they will do with them since one will be 14 and one 13 at the time of sailing. Will they allow them to choose either club or only the Edge?

Also, is there anything we need to do to travel with someone elses child?

Thanks
__________________
wink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
squirrel
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Posts: 10,470

I would have a noterized letter stating that you have permission to take him and can seek medical attention for him while he's with you.

I believe that they are both in the age group for the Edge programming. I think the cut off for the club/lab is 12 yrs old.
__________________
All Star Movies September 1999
PO + DCL November+December 2000
DLR (BWPPI) September 2007
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
I would have a noterized letter stating that you have permission to take him and can seek medical attention for him while he's with you.

I believe that they are both in the age group for the Edge programming. I think the cut off for the club/lab is 12 yrs old.
Yes, I think they are too old for the club/lab. At 14 I believe you can choose between edge & vibe. But with one being 13 to stay together they will probably have to stay in edge.

They will be able to come & go as they please, no signing out.
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
DopeyLvr
Earning My Ears
 
DopeyLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink13
Our son is bringing a friend on our next Diseny Cruise (Disney Dream in Feb 2013). He's very excited but I was wondering with the new policies on the kids club what they will do with them since one will be 14 and one 13 at the time of sailing. Will they allow them to choose either club or only the Edge?

Also, is there anything we need to do to travel with someone elses child?

Thanks
Depending on how many months your sons friend is from 14. I got into the Vibe with being 4 months from 14. I also knew someone in the vibe so that also helped me get in at a younger age.
All though they did make me go the the Edge the first night but because I was one of the older ones in the Edge I felt very weird in there (just my opinion some of the other kids at the age of 13 liked the Edge)
__________________




DopeyLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
wink13
Just a bit Goofy
 
wink13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyLvr View Post
Depending on how many months your sons friend is from 14. I got into the Vibe with being 4 months from 14. I also knew someone in the vibe so that also helped me get in at a younger age.
All though they did make me go the the Edge the first night but because I was one of the older ones in the Edge I felt very weird in there (just my opinion some of the other kids at the age of 13 liked the Edge)
Thanks for your response.

How long ago did you sail?

The 13yr old will be 3 months from 14th b-day and I know they are hoping to be able to go to the Vibe. He was at the Edge last year on our cruise and thought it was ok but would rather be at the Vibe.
__________________
wink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
DopeyLvr
Earning My Ears
 
DopeyLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink13

Thanks for your response.

How long ago did you sail?

The 13yr old will be 3 months from 14th b-day and I know they are hoping to be able to go to the Vibe. He was at the Edge last year on our cruise and thought it was ok but would rather be at the Vibe.
I sailed last year to Alaska and then I sailed this past summer and they were letting kids come up to the Vibe
__________________




DopeyLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Be really careful about letting younger kids move up to Vibe. Consider maturity level, etc. No matter how DCL sets up the age groups, the parents pushing the envelope consistently results in a "dumbing down" of each program and creates the cycle of more kids wanting to move up. However, some of what my DD experienced in the teen area is inappropriate for any teen based on our family values. She responded by leaving the area with some of the other kids.

As to cruising with a child who is not YOUR child--DCL has a form on their web site that must be signed by the parent. Anything you do beyond that is up to you. Do be sure that you address such issues as medical insurance, authorization to sign for medical treatment, etc. before you travel.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
wink13
Just a bit Goofy
 
wink13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Be really careful about letting younger kids move up to Vibe. Consider maturity level, etc. No matter how DCL sets up the age groups, the parents pushing the envelope consistently results in a "dumbing down" of each program and creates the cycle of more kids wanting to move up. However, some of what my DD experienced in the teen area is inappropriate for any teen based on our family values. She responded by leaving the area with some of the other kids.

As to cruising with a child who is not YOUR child--DCL has a form on their web site that must be signed by the parent. Anything you do beyond that is up to you. Do be sure that you address such issues as medical insurance, authorization to sign for medical treatment, etc. before you travel.
Thanks for the information.
__________________
wink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
brianall
DC Vet
 
brianall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 40

We just got off the Dream last week, traveling with another family. Both family kids are 13 and 10. The 13 yr olds were allowed into Vibe...and the 10 year olds were allowed into Edge...no problem. Just had to sign a quick waiver at the begining of the cruise. My biggest concern was having the older kids in there that might be less than friendly. But....there was never an issue, and the kids all had great times.
brianall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
wink13
Just a bit Goofy
 
wink13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianall View Post
We just got off the Dream last week, traveling with another family. Both family kids are 13 and 10. The 13 yr olds were allowed into Vibe...and the 10 year olds were allowed into Edge...no problem. Just had to sign a quick waiver at the begining of the cruise. My biggest concern was having the older kids in there that might be less than friendly. But....there was never an issue, and the kids all had great times.
My son who is the 13 year old will be happy to hear that. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise and while his brother has been able to go to A loft and Vibe he's been waiting his turn.

If he can't go to the Vibe then we'll just have to go again after he turns 14.
__________________
wink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
princessah0305
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2

Can people just turning 14 as in a day or to go to Vibe without one of those sheets or is that not allowed I would be turn 14 two days after we go?
princessah0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
linmarie12
Earning My Ears
 
linmarie12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 45

You never know because sometimes the rules are really strict and sometimes their really loose about the rules.
__________________
WDW Twice
Disney Dream 4/3/11
NYC MAGIC 6/2/12
linmarie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,266
DISboards Moderator

Apparently the only age rule they are very strict about all the time is that no one age 18 or older is permitted in Vibe. Going the other direction, they may let a 13 year old move up. The thing to do is visit both clubs with the kids and have the kids decide which one they would both rather be in. You can find out if it will be allowed on your cruise at the same time. Sometimes they may crack down on it, especially if the clubs are going to be crowded.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
bzzelady
DIS Veteran
 
bzzelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Danville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessah0305
Can people just turning 14 as in a day or to go to Vibe without one of those sheets or is that not allowed I would be turn 14 two days after we go?
Welcome to the Disboards princessah0305!!!

I would suggest that you speak with the counselors in the Edge on embarkation day since you will only be 13 for two days into your cruise. They may let you move up at the beginning of the cruise, but then again...they may also make you wait until the day you turn 14. My DD is in the same situation for our August cruise.
__________________
Missing Dad...6/6/45-6/3/12

Me DH DD14 DM
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

The normal rule has been that if you are within 30 days of the birthday, they will let you move up...but they can always make exceptions. Turning 14 on the third day of the cruise--they will let you start in the Vibe. They know kids make friends from the beginning. You'll just have to talk to the CM on the first day.

As to moving up a 13--depends on the cruise and the CMs involved as well as number of kids in each age group. My personal opinion--I wish they would stick to the established guidelines and quit making exceptions. That was supposedly the point of the overlap ages. When they allow 10s into an 11-14 program, all the 13s and 14s want to bail and move up....so they move the 13s to the 14-17 and the 17s just leave. We've seen it way too often. When The Stack was 13-17, they allowed 12s...and the teens reported that it was "full of babies." Then they made it 14-17 but still allow younger kids. Not good.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.