Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Palo vs. Remy (Fantasy)

We may have the opportunity to have dinner in both Palo and Remy on our upcoming cruise. But, if you could only choose one, which would it be and why? What are the main differences between the two?

Are kids allowed in either one (age 5 and 23 months)

Also, if kids are not allowed and the baby is crying in the nursery, will we have to leave dinner to go get her? What happens then?
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

There are no children allowed in either Palo or Remy, under the gae of 18. We usually hit both during a cruise, but with Remy taking anywhere for 2 1/2 to 3 hours it sounds like Palo maybe your best bet (dinner will be quicker). Honestly you can't go wrong with either choice.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

As PP mentioned, no kids in either. I WAY preferred Remy; it was the best meal I've ever had. The experience was one in a million. We were there for about four hours (I guess they liked us!), the chef came out and talked to us, the wait staff was so good that even though we were drinking one bottle of red and one of white (which I'm sure was annoying to them), they told us before each course which would be better with that dish. UNBELIEVABLE experience.

Palo was very good. Had I not dined at Remy the same cruise, I would probably be gushing about Palo as well; they just aren't the same experience. The food was very good, the service was very good, too, although they all seemed a bit rushed. The senior officers were eating at Palo the night we were there so that was kinda cool.

If there's a chance you're going to be interrupted and have to leave, DO NOT do Remy. It's as much about the experience as the food (although the food is superb) and leaving in the middle would ruin it for you. Plus, the upcharge difference is pretty significant. Palo is lovely and you can enjoy Remy when the little ones are a bit older.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
As PP mentioned, no kids in either. I WAY preferred Remy; it was the best meal I've ever had. The experience was one in a million. We were there for about four hours (I guess they liked us!), the chef came out and talked to us, the wait staff was so good that even though we were drinking one bottle of red and one of white (which I'm sure was annoying to them), they told us before each course which would be better with that dish. UNBELIEVABLE experience.

Palo was very good. Had I not dined at Remy the same cruise, I would probably be gushing about Palo as well; they just aren't the same experience. The food was very good, the service was very good, too, although they all seemed a bit rushed. The senior officers were eating at Palo the night we were there so that was kinda cool.

If there's a chance you're going to be interrupted and have to leave, DO NOT do Remy. It's as much about the experience as the food (although the food is superb) and leaving in the middle would ruin it for you. Plus, the upcharge difference is pretty significant. Palo is lovely and you can enjoy Remy when the little ones are a bit older.
I agree.
If you have to leave dinner for the kids they might be able to wrap up your Palo food to go-but not Remy.
You can also let the CMs know in the nursery and kids club where you are going and they will hold off calling you as long as possible...
Remy is amazing but I would rather not go at all than be interrupted
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The best thing about adult only dining is that it is adults only. That means no kids ever, and this is one place where DCL strictly enforces the policy.

The best comparison I can give is that Palo is similar to one of the signature restaurants at WDW. You know, the ones that cost 2 credits on the dining plan, like the California Grill, They are very nice, but not totally over the top. Palo is actually a better atmosphere than these (in party because it is adult only), but it is roughly on the same level. Dinner will take 90-120 minutes; you can opt to linger longer, but can be finished comfortably in this range.

Remy is very similar to Victoria and Albert at the Grand Floridian--way beyond "very nice." A dinner there will take 3 hours.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Sounds like Remy probably won't work for us, even though you all make it sound amazing. I just don't think the baby would stay in the nursery for 3 hours (we'll be crazy lucky if we get 90 minutes). Hopefully Palo will be an amazing experience since we won't have Remy to compare it to.

What makes Remy so incredible? What kind of experience is it?

I appreciate comparison to the WDW restaurants, but we have never been to WDW. :P We are Disneyland people since we live 15 minutes from there.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

I think we are going to try and do Remy this time since we have done Palo before and really want to try it. I think what we will do with our baby is do some test trials in the nursery ahead of time to hopefully get him comfortable there. In the past I have got the impression that if you tell them you will be at Palo/Remy the CMs will try at all costs not to buzz you. However I am nervous that he will cry the whole time because he normally doesnt go to daycare and isn't used to others taking care of him.
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: