Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
What? How did I not know you had a PTR going with a weekend trip to AKL?? Well, anyways, I'm glad I found it, because I loved your May TR.

Your one night stay at AKL sounds like it was fun and relaxing. Not really stressful or so busy you couldn't enjoy yourselves. AKL is on my list of resorts I'm considering for 2013, so I liked reading about how the lobby and savanah viewing areas are on odd levels and that the rooms are kind of small.

I think WL is a great choice for the holiday season. I've heard it looks really nixe with the Christmas decorations up, and it's so close to the other deluxes. Taking the monorail to see all the decorations is really fun, I did that on my first trip, and you'd be surprised at how much time it kills.

Can't wait to read about it and see how your plans for your 2013/2014 trip go!
Hi, Alicia! Welcome!

AKL was never at the top of my list of must-try deluxes, but it is absolutely beautiful!

I'm glad you approve of our WL choice. I'm really, really looking forward to that, and I'm hoping we have some cooler weather so it actually feels like December.

Thanks for joining in!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Trip to New York, Part I

This isn't a Disney World update, but planning for our trip has kind of stalled (more on that later) and we did visit a huge Disney Store on our trip. Plus, it's my pre-trip report!

Last month, we went to New York for a few days. Nick has family in Brooklyn, so we stayed at his grandmother's house and took the train into the city every day. It had been awhile since I'd visited, and it's definitely different playing tourist with an almost-2-year-old! We all had a blast, and I feel blessed that we're able to do so much traveling with Andrew. (Of course if it were up to me, all of our vacations would be to Disney World ... but I guess every other year isn't so bad. Gotta keep the Husband happy, too!)

Anyway, we flew into JFK on a Wednesday afternoon. Nick's uncle picked us up, and we stopped by Citi Field on our way to Nick's grandmother's house. The Mets weren't playing at home but Nick is a huge Mets fan, so he did some damage in the gift shop. We also spent time taking pictures with the home-run apple from Shea Stadium.

That night several relatives came over, and we had a huge Italian family dinner. Many of them had come to our wedding, but they'd never met Andrew. Of course everyone fell in love with him.

We were beat from traveling, so we went to bed pretty early so we'd be ready for our first day in the city. (Andrew and I slept on the queen-size air mattress, while Nick took the twin bed. That first night, sleeping with a wriggling DS was miserable, but every other night we were exhausted from walking all day and I pretty much slept through his kicks to my side!)

Thursday, Oct. 4:

Our morning routine was the same every day we were in New York. After waking up, we would go downstairs and have coffee with Nick's grandmother and uncle. Nick and Andrew would eat breakfast (I can't eat for a couple of hours after I wake up; my stomach just doesn't like food that early ... but it has no problem with food the rest of the day ), then we would go back upstairs and get ready, pack up our backpack (a purchase-with-purchase from our last trip to WDW!), grab the stroller and walk a block to the train station. Nick's uncle was our "tour guide," and he came into the city with us every day.

This morning we headed to Lower Manhattan because I wanted to see the 9/11 Memorial. I had read here on the DIS that it is a timed-entry thing, but we didn't reserve passes in advance because we didn't know what sort of schedule we would be on; we just wanted to play our vacation by ear. I really just wanted to walk by and see One World Trade Center and what the rest of the site looks like, but they were handing out tickets for right then so we went in.

There is still lots of construction going on, but what we saw of the memorial was very nice. One of the reflecting pools is open, and it is really beautiful. It's moving to see the names carved into the panels around it, and it's awe-inspiring to see how massive just one of the towers' footprints is. It's reverent without being somber, which may change once the museum is open, but for now the reflecting pool is powerful on its own.

After leaving the memorial, we walked by the New York Stock Exchange and headed toward Fraunces Tavern. Nick really wanted to see it since it's supposedly the oldest surviving building in Manhattan, and where Washington gave a farewell speech during the American Revolution. It was lunchtime, so we decided to eat there. Soooo, what nice things can I say about Fraunces Tavern? It was neat to sit there and think about its history (I love that stuff), and we were in a corner so Andrew couldn't disturb too many people. But the food was not great, and Andrew really didn't want to sit still for lunch. Luckily we had my Kindle Fire with us and I'd downloaded some episodes of his favorite shows, so he watched a bit of Dora the Explorer while the rest of us ate. (He's more of a grazer, so he'd done some snacking throughout the morning and also ate some of my fries -- his favorite.)

When we were done eating, we retrieved our stroller from the coat check, and Nick and his uncle took Andrew through the museum upstairs while I got caught up on Twitter. We headed outside and put Andrew in the stroller, then started walking. It was drizzling, so we popped into Century 21. Nick and I had both heard/read that Century 21 is THE place to go bargain-shopping in New York, but we were not impressed. I'm sorry, but I don't care how deeply something is discounted -- if I have to fight my way through crowds to get to it, I'm not buying it. Claustrophobia and I are not friends.

Nick and I got over Century 21 in about three minutes and walked right back out to find it had stopped raining. Andrew had fallen asleep in his stroller, so we started walking, figuring we'd catch the subway when he woke up. Sure enough, he only napped for about a half-hour, so we went down to the train and took it uptown to the American Museum of Natural History. We took a restroom break on our way in, then we took the elevator to the fourth floor to visit the dinosaur halls. The first one we came to (the one with T.rex) was closed for a private events, so we walked down to the room with Stegosaurus and Triceratops. Andrew is going through a huge "dinosaur phase" right now (do all boys do this? I remember my brother being into dinosaurs for a while), and for weeks afterward all he talked about was the "dinosaur bones."

We spent about an hour in there, admiring all of the dinosaur bones and taking pictures every time Andrew's face lit up. Our next stop was the first floor, where we went to see sea creatures (say that five times fast), a family favorite. The room with the giant whale hanging from the ceiling was closed, too (what the heck?!), so we did a quick walk-through down there before hitting the gift shop. I found a cute shirt with several dinosaurs on it (that Andrew now asks to wear every day) and we bought our book-loving boy a couple of books, then we went down to the cafe for a short rest.

It was late afternoon and something chocolate was calling my name, so I went and found the biggest, most decadent cupcake and paid for that and a couple bottles of water while the boys found a table. We devoured it in no time -- even though the cake itself was ridiculously dry, the icing was ridiculously delicious. We spent a few more minutes relaxing and people-watching before calling it a day. We were all exhausted and had another big family dinner to get back to, so we caught the train back to Brooklyn. After dinner, Andrew and I got ready for bed and were out pretty early while Nick stayed up and visited with his family.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by Elleshoodat; 04-02-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: