Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Marineland - I knew it

So sick to my stomach right now after reading some of the reports coming out of Marineland about animal cruelty and the death of the baby beluga. The last time we were there we vowed no more...you could just feel that something wasn't right there. They charged huge admission fees, and the poor animals there. Just sickened.

I hope it gets closed down.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
mommytodarlings
Mouseketeer

ITA!!
I haven`t liked that place for a long time. I was there when I was a kid and all I can remember is the bears that you could feed. They sold you a cone of marshmallows to feed them- awesome diet for bears imo. I never went back.

There are some terrible things coming out about that place Very sad

mommytodarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
jenkh
Mouseketeer

I had to stop reading the articles as they were just horrid.

I havnt been there since I was a kid but I have heard "tales" of how bad the place seemed.

It should just be closed down. People with no respect for livings things will never have respect.

All Star Music Oct 10-17 2005 / Coronado Springs Dec 1-8 2006 / DCL Trip January 26 2008 Western
All Star Movies Sept 26 - Oct 1 2008 /Boardwalk Villas January 17-24 2009 / Animal Kingdom Villas January 24-31 2009
First Trip to Disneyland! Oct 31-Nov 3 2010 / Animal Kingdom Villas Dec 3-10 2010 / Animal Kingdom Villas Nov 4-12 2011
DCL Fantasy Dec 8 - 15 2012
jenkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

the marshmallow thing bothered me too,we used to take a bag of apples for them instead,then ofcourse theres the fish in the nastyu river that they feed dog food to,and the cheap junk that isn't even good for dogs UGH disgusting!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I've always hated Marineland.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Wish they sell that place to Disney! should be enough land to build a park and a hotel!!

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian
-August: Vero Beach

-Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Sadly this is nothing new at all. I've lived in the area my whole life and remember vividly the protests and newspaper articles from the 90's. It was a big deal and basically nothing changed. Anyone I have ever known who worked there was disgusted with the place.
Sadly people keep going. Some are ignorant of the conditions, some simply don't care and think it's their right.
We've never taken our kids there, and refuse to allow relatives to take our kids there. Despite knowing these things I know of at least 3 sets of people with seasons passes because they are cheap entertainment.
I can think of much better ways to teach my children about animals

Sorry to get on my soapbox but when you see the same charges and accusations over and over and over and watch nothing change over decades it all feels a little hopeless.

LINK to the article in the Toronto Star from today. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...r-staffers-say

Last edited by pigletto; 08-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.
pigletto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Sadly this is nothing new at all. I've lived in the area my whole life and remember vividly the protests and newspaper articles from the 90's. It was a big deal and basically nothing changed. Anyone I have ever known who worked there was disgusted with the place.
Sadly people keep going. Some are ignorant of the conditions, some simply don't care and think it's their right.
We've never taken our kids there, and refuse to allow relatives to take our kids there. Despite knowing these things I know of at least 3 sets of people with seasons passes because they are cheap entertainment.
I can think of much better ways to teach my children about animals

Sorry to get on my soapbox but when you see the same charges and accusations over and over and over and watch nothing change over decades it all feels a little hopeless.

LINK to the article in the Toronto Star from today. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...r-staffers-say
You are right, after it being brought to light before why was nothing done?? What is wrong with this world, it is just so sad for those poor animals. I had to stop reading that article about the horrid death of that baby beluga, and how the mother was trying to help it. Please nobody go there!!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
newrygirl
DIS Veteran

I find this so disgusting and sad, I find animals in captivity so cruel, my kids have never been to a zoo or to seaworld or anywhere that holds their animals in small confined spaces, these poor animals need their space, makes me so sad
newrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Alderbrook
DIS Veteran

the last time we went there there were protestors outside. Still people go. The only way to stop it is for people to stop going. There were articles in the paper last year too I think. We refuse to go to Sea World in Orlando as well. These animals should be in the ocean.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderbrook View Post
the last time we went there there were protestors outside. Still people go. The only way to stop it is for people to stop going. There were articles in the paper last year too I think. We refuse to go to Sea World in Orlando as well. These animals should be in the ocean.
Agreed. The only way to speak to this situation in any way that will make an impact is with your wallet. Unfortunately nothing happens because there are zero regulations or a governing body to look into this type of thing in Ontario so there is no accountability. Something will have to change legally, and people need to kindly and patiently spread the word. Articles like this help, and many locals know what it is like, but so many tourists have no idea. I can't blame them, they just don't know.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Alderbrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. The only way to speak to this situation in any way that will make an impact is with your wallet. Unfortunately nothing happens because there are zero regulations or a governing body to look into this type of thing in Ontario so there is no accountability. Something will have to change legally, and people need to kindly and patiently spread the word. Articles like this help, and many locals know what it is like, but so many tourists have no idea. I can't blame them, they just don't know.
The only way I would feel comfortable going to see these types of animals would be at a sanctuary for ill or injured animals with the hopes they can be sent back to the ocean. I really don't need to see a walrus clap it's hands or a seal balance a ball on it's nose. I've seen dolphins jumping in the ocean, that's more entertaining than marineland.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I'm holding off my judgement until all sides of the story are heard and out there. I tend not to react to allegations made by 8 "former" employees. The first thing I ask myself is, if it were indeed true, why not say something when you were actually employed there. Add to the fact that the media are generally sh*t disturbers and will sell a whole lot more papers glorifying nasty details of allegations, then actually waiting for facts to print. I'm a bit skeptical that way though.

I've been to Marineland a few times and saw nothing there that screamed animal cruelty to me. That's not to say it's not there though, I'm not completely naive.

I'm also definitely not on the bandwagon to shut down all zoos and aquariums though since a lot of these places to a ton of work for the research and preservation of animals, often endangered, so a blanket statement like "they should be shut down" doesn't sit well with me.

If in fact these allegations prove to be true, then I obviously think something needs to be done to rectify it and people should be charged accordingly. But, until allegations turn to proof, I'm not joining in on a lynch mob.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure many of the people going are tourists from around the world visiting the Falls. They haven't seen the articles in the local paper. So it's not necessarily they are ignorant or don't care.

I'm in a quandary over this. We are vising NF soon and bought tickets online on Monday. This story broke on Tuesday. If we don't go we are out $175. It will not aid in a protest if we just don't use our tickets as they already have our money. We may as well go and let the kids ride I guess.

I have seen this posted on other message boards this week. Funny how everyone knew this yet the Humane Society has never received any complaints.
CdnCarrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The articles all say it has been accredited so there is some type of regulations. I think it's self regulated as it's done by a Zoo//Aquarium governing body and not an outside body.
CdnCarrie is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: