Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #121
kellgirl
Earning My Ears

I will CRY if they get rid of Beauty and the Beast! It's my FAVORITE thing in WDW!
kellgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #122
MHunt
Earning My Ears

HS is needing an expansion or update. Look forward to seeing what they do.
MHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #123
Disco
Hail Eris!

LOL, DHS needs a bulldozer. No matter how they try to expand/renovate the park layout is just horrible.
It's not an operational studio any more right? So I'm guessing a lot of those backstage buildings aren't necesary anymore. Just level and start new (yeah I know it won't happen) and they will have a ton more room.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #124
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I love the basic premise of Hollywood studios but that is it, it seriously needs something like cars land. Cant believe we dont have a Star Wars land and I am not some star wars geek either just saying that. Id love to see the indian jones ride come to Hollywood studios too, the one in Tokyo is my favorite ride in the park.
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #125
Dani C
DIS Veteran

I just wish they would return the backstage tour to its former version. I miss the bee and Dick Tracy.

Dani C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #126
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
LOL, DHS needs a bulldozer. No matter how they try to expand/renovate the park layout is just horrible.It's not an operational studio any more right? So I'm guessing a lot of those backstage buildings aren't necesary anymore. Just level and start new (yeah I know it won't happen) and they will have a ton more room.
this is the main thing..there should be a cut through from art of animations and disney Jr. playhouse to sunse blvd.

Mk has the best layout,.. besdies the hub,, there are all the cut throughs, short suts,e tc.!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #127
kbowfamluvswdw
Earning My Ears

Why do people hate the hat

The very first thing I saw on my first visit 7 years ago was the hat. The hat to me is a welcome sight and brings back memories of that first experience.
kbowfamluvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #128
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Wow! Great article! All the changes sound exciting to me with the exception of the hat demolition. To me, the hat is to HS as the sphere is to Epcot. My biggest beef with HS is a small one - the entrance. I hate the entrance. It just looks so dated, but not in a cool retro way.

I've read elsewhere in this section of the forum that some members insist that Disney won't sink money into this park b/c any of these sorts of upgrades are basically just robbing Peter to pay Paul (moving attendance from one park to another but no change in overall attendance). I'm a virtual Disney newbie even though I was just there in Feb and am planning our next trip inside of a year from that one, but I think part of the equation for the non-Disney diehards is keeping it fresh. If Disney doesn't invest in its parks and bring new attractions, then why keep coming back? (that's rhetorical for the die-hards as I'm sure the list could get long) For me, that's the draw. I can't wait to see the new Fantasyland even though I was virtually just at MK. That's what's bringing me back so quickly. As for switching out Beauty and the Beast for Tangled - makes sense to me! I far prefer Tangled, it's fresher, and it's probably more popular with a larger demographic (i.e. girls AND boys). I really hope they do reinvigorate HS b/c I think it needs it and it's my least favorite park with the exception of .... yep, the NEW(ish) Toy Story Mania. Oh and the Monsters Inc ride - I've always thought the doors would make an awesome and obvious roller coaster ride. I would, however, like it to be more of a classic coaster than one full of nausea-inducing "firsts," but I know that's not likely.
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #129
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbowfamluvswdw View Post
The very first thing I saw on my first visit 7 years ago was the hat. The hat to me is a welcome sight and brings back memories of that first experience.
It was plopped down in the middle of an accurate re-creation of a period of Hollywood, with the Chinese Theater as the centerpiece. The Hat has no place there besides being a glorified pin-trading kiosk and a new "icon" of the park, despite the fact they already had an icon, the Earful Tower (water towers like that one have been synonomous with movie studios since the beginning)

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #130
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbowfamluvswdw View Post
Maybe so for you, but the hat was just plopped there for the 100 years of Magic promo and has been an eyesore to many of us since. The visual of the theater is so beautiful without the hat obstructing it. They took the awful wand off of the geodesic dome in Epcot, thank goodness, now it is time to move the hat ...it would make a great place for security to go through the bags outside the gates, lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #131
glvsav37
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
It was plopped down in the middle of an accurate re-creation of a period of Hollywood, with the Chinese Theater as the centerpiece. The Hat has no place there besides being a glorified pin-trading kiosk and a new "icon" of the park, despite the fact they already had an icon, the Earful Tower (water towers like that one have been synonomous with movie studios since the beginning)
agreed, I think the hat was a gimmick to 'add' an icon where Earful was perfect. problem was, it was't 'IN' the park. Frankly the hat blocks the view of the theater as you walk down hollywood blvd.

I was really hoping when they put it up that it would be temporary like the hand and wand on Spaceship Earth was in 2000 (i think)
glvsav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #132
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Exactly, kind of ruins the effect of being in the early 1900s Hollywoodland. What was the point of putting all the effort into recreating a classic time period? The hat has to go...
The real issue of why it is there though comes down to park layout again. It was decided that every park would have a center/frontpiece that guests could see from anywhere and could use to orientate themselves.
Every park was designed for this concept except DHS. The ear tower wasn't at the center or front so they decided to leave the hat in for this purpose. The problem was the park was not designed for this concept and it really only works with more of a hub and spoke layout. That is something HS can never be so no reason to have a centerpiece.
Whoever came up with the flow design of HS needs to be fired. If they don't work for Disney they need to be rehired so they can be fired again.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #133
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Whoever came up with the flow design of HS needs to be fired. If they don't work for Disney they need to be rehired so they can be fired again.

Love it!

Anyway, let's go back, way back in some time....here is the park map as Disney MGM studios opened. Notice how much isn't there. Also, I can't remember if the New York/Streets of America was actually walkable back then, or if it was just part of the Backlot tour.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-studios/mgmmap.gif

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #134
BMWTeamLeader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDetective View Post
I agree, it has become such a focal point now although I do feel sorry for the Great Movie Ride theatre as you can't see it at all.
As long as we're all putting on out Imagineer hats on, why not istead of copying the CA facade, incorporate the socerer's hat into the Grat Movie Ride Facade....just a thought...great icon, just out of place where it is now...

August 2015: AoA Lion King Suite Me DW DD12
April 2007: ASMo (Fantasia), WDW Swan, FW Campground Me DD5
March 2000: AsMo (101 Dalmations) Me DGf
BMWTeamLeader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #135
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Love it!

Anyway, let's go back, way back in some time....here is the park map as Disney MGM studios opened. Notice how much isn't there. Also, I can't remember if the New York/Streets of America was actually walkable back then, or if it was just part of the Backlot tour.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-studios/mgmmap.gif
Thank you for this map. Brings back SO many memories. I have to go dig out our old stuff maps!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: