Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #136
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post

Love it!

Anyway, let's go back, way back in some time....here is the park map as Disney MGM studios opened. Notice how much isn't there. Also, I can't remember if the New York/Streets of America was actually walkable back then, or if it was just part of the Backlot tour.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-studios/mgmmap.gif
LOL, I was pretty sure that it was always walkable. That map seems to indicate that it was part of the tram ride though and it is blocked off to foot traffic.
I wonder if this might have been a prelaunch plan then they maybe changed their minds before opening?
I agree that is an awesome huge tram ride and it was sad to lose it. But to be fair, much has been added really since that map. ToT, RR and the Muppets…
The building for Star Tours is there but it is blocked off. Same for Toy Story, I just can't think what was in that building if it wasn't open to foot traffic?
Too bad they couldn't keep a cool tram ride and add everything else. It's really the stunt show that circumcised it though.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #137
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Well take this for what it's worth, but we are at Disney now. There was very clearly a group of VIP execs walking around the gift shop/exit area of Backlot Tour as we were milling about the other day. It was Tuesday morning. I only noticed them because my son wanted to see if they would trade Pins but I told him it looked like some kind of business meeting and we should leave them alone (Don't worry.. he managed to find about 30 other cast members to trade with this week). There had to be about 10 or so well dressed people discussing something.

It would seem that would be the execs they are referring to wandering around in the article. Maybe I am off base but we'll see soon I'm sure.
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #138
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Well take this for what it's worth, but we are at Disney now. There was very clearly a group of VIP execs walking around the gift shop/exit area of Backlot Tour as we were milling about the other day. It was Tuesday morning. I only noticed them because my son wanted to see if they would trade Pins but I told him it looked like some kind of business meeting and we should leave them alone (Don't worry.. he managed to find about 30 other cast members to trade with this week). There had to be about 10 or so well dressed people discussing something.

It would seem that would be the execs they are referring to wandering around in the article. Maybe I am off base but we'll see soon I'm sure.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #139
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Execs walking around don't necessarily have to be Disney executives. Disney still runs countless conferences and training programs and bring high level execs not the parks for those sessions. My uncle was one of them in may. Not saying they weren't Disney execs but not all business people walking around the parks are. in fact the park they took my uncles group to was dhs specifically and I know his company was sending managers in waves all year.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #140
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

So they are postponing Avatarland indefinately and I read Disney is announcing a expansion in HS tonight... Expanding Fantasmic seating and a POTC were all that were mentioned. Hopefully this is true but we will find out tonight!!!!!!!!

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #141
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
So they are postponing Avatarland indefinately and I read Disney is announcing a expansion in HS tonight... Expanding Fantasmic seating and a POTC were all that were mentioned. Hopefully this is true but we will find out tonight!!!!!!!!
The Jack Sparrow walk-through was already announced but how can we not get excited about more Fantasmic seating!!!

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #142
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
Where did you read the announcement of a DHS expansion tonight?
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #143
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

On FB on one of the many sites I follow and it was mention on more than one that there would be an announcement tonight from Disney themselves... now again this is a rumor board and I don't know if it will actually happen but I thought others would like to know.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #144
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Where did you read the announcement of a DHS expansion tonight?
One of the Orlando news stations claims Disney will announce new "entertainment" offerings today. Only specific mentions are additional Fantasmic seating and a replacement for the MK castle projection show.

Don't expect any Cars Land reveal. *IF* something major is afoot at DHS, it may take months to finalize and make public. They could easily wait until the next D23 Expo in about 11 months.

BTW I'm taking wagers on what Disney is going to charge for this new Fantasmic seating. I'm sensing a lot of uses of the word "premium" in the press release.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #145
MattM
DIS Veteran

+1 on the "premium" comment above.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #146
DisDadMatt
Earning My Ears

FYI... It is true that beauty and the beast is going away. Will happen after holidays!
DisDadMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #147
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
LOL, I was pretty sure that it was always walkable. That map seems to indicate that it was part of the tram ride though and it is blocked off to foot traffic.
I wonder if this might have been a prelaunch plan then they maybe changed their minds before opening?
I agree that is an awesome huge tram ride and it was sad to lose it. But to be fair, much has been added really since that map. ToT, RR and the Muppets…
The building for Star Tours is there but it is blocked off. Same for Toy Story, I just can't think what was in that building if it wasn't open to foot traffic?
Too bad they couldn't keep a cool tram ride and add everything else. It's really the stunt show that circumcised it though.
I was watching video from when I was younger and we were walking through the Osborne Lights, did the Osborne lights used to be in the Backlot tour with the houses?? I could have sworn that was where it was but I am not sure.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #148
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I was watching video from when I was younger and we were walking through the Osborne Lights, did the Osborne lights used to be in the Backlot tour with the houses?? I could have sworn that was where it was but I am not sure.
Yes! That is where it was. You could actually walk through streets with houses, not just the streets of america. It was quite wonderful although I do appreciate the current show and location also.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #149
nemofans
DIS Veteran

So what was fully in the announcement?

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 76 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #150
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
So what was fully in the announcement?
Benches......

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: