Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
SheaBear
Mouseketeer

Splash Mountain Being Changed?

First, I want to say sorry if this has been brought up already. Haven't been on the boards in a couple of days.

I recieved a text last week from a friend who is a CM at Magic Kingdom. She told me that Splash Mountain is going to change from the Br'er Rabbit theme to The Princess and the Frog. No date was given, but said it will change sometime soon.

I for one, don't know how I feel about that kind of change. I feel as though Splash Mountain is one of those staples of Magic Kingdom.

How does everyone else feel if it were to be changed?

Follow along with my PTR for the planning of a back to back trip to Miami, 4 Night Dream Cruise, and WDW
What Aren't We Celebrating: Katrina's 5th Birthday and So Much More. A June 2013 PTR!

FE List for June 2, 2013..... FE LIST

SheaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Jacie
Disney Obsessed!

That's depressing. I like PATF, but Splash Mountain is perfect the way it is.
2011- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy! First WDW trip for Mommy!
2011- November- All Star Movies- First WDW trip for the kids, first resort stay!
2012- October- Flying back to the West Coast to go to Disneyland! Can't wait to be back to my home park!
2013- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy again!
2013- September- Family trip back to WDW for MNSSHP! Staying in the LM area at AoA!

Jacie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
mking624
DIS Veteran

I don't really see that happening. When it came to the domestic figures, it didn't even make the budget. Only because of the foreign box office did it push it past the budget. That makes it unsuccessful in America (even though I think it's a cute movie). Now I don't often come across people who know Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South, but it seems unlikely they'd change a rather popular attraction to cater to a movie that didn't have much success in the States. Maybe I'm wrong... but that's just my speculation on it.
; 9/07 - PC, free dining, & MNSSHP;
11/08 - PC & MVMCP
; 6/09 - AKV; 9/10 - POFQ & free dining
9/11 - POFQ, free dining & NOJ/MNSSHP; 10/11 - ASMu & Halloween 5K; 4/12 - Disneyland;
11/12 - ASMu, free dining, and Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon; 5/13 - Disneyland/GC; 5/14 - AKV/PC
mking624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

I hope not. I like SM just the way it is
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

I loved the Princess and the Frog. But not enough to give up Br'er Rabbit! I think they should get their own attraction! Why
Not the Liberty Steam Boat? I loved it when they did the show. The music was awesome. They could have character meets on the boat, and jazz playing over the speakers. Maybe a scheduled show.

Or how about something new! That would be even better.
LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
moonpie85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaBear View Post
First, I want to say sorry if this has been brought up already. Haven't been on the boards in a couple of days.

I recieved a text last week from a friend who is a CM at Magic Kingdom. She told me that Splash Mountain is going to change from the Br'er Rabbit theme to The Princess and the Frog. No date was given, but said it will change sometime soon.

I for one, don't know how I feel about that kind of change. I feel as though Splash Mountain is one of those staples of Magic Kingdom.

How does everyone else feel if it were to be changed?
I hate the thought of them changing a classic yet PATF really is a perfect fit
October 2011- Pop Adoption Celebration Trip
December 2013- Pop Holiday Palooza

Me DH DD3 Pommie Weenie

moonpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
notfrostyjosh
DIS Veteran

Right after they change Spaceship Earth to Mars Needs Moms and Pirates of the Caribbean to Treasure Planet.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
I hope not. I like SM just the way it is
I agree. But I hate to say it, but it does sound slightly possible. I am 23 and I don't think I have ever heard of Br'er Rabbit and the gang outside of Splash Mountain. I know they were a movie/story but that is all.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
moonpie85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikezh638 View Post
I agree. But I hate to say it, but it does sound slightly possible. I am 23 and I don't think I have ever heard of Br'er Rabbit and the gang outside of Splash Mountain. I know they were a movie/story but that is all.
I'm 26 and agree, I know nothing of the story and grew up on Disney movies. I'd say this rumor has a chance. However, changing such a park icon will be tough and cause such an uproar I also wouldn't be surprised if it never happened.

If it does happen, I predict it will be after Fantasyland expansion. Not soon.
October 2011- Pop Adoption Celebration Trip
December 2013- Pop Holiday Palooza

Me DH DD3 Pommie Weenie

moonpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
Right after they change Spaceship Earth to Mars Needs Moms and Pirates of the Caribbean to Treasure Planet.
This.

Don't expect to see much Princess and the Frog anything beyond Tiana meet-and-greets and the usual array of generic princess merch. It simply never caught on the way the company had hoped (and even if it had, they wouldn't be changing Splash Mountain for it).
Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Gmouse
It's a small world after all!

I hope not. SM is a fave of ours-BECAUSE of Br'er rabbit and friends. It is SO CUTE! I wish they had a detour right before the big drop so our DS could ride it and see the characters! Disney needs to leave everything in MK just as it is and bring back some of the good OLD rides- 20,000 leagues under the sea (or was is 10,000-can't think right now!) Mr Toad's wild ride. I loved those ride. They were the wildest and craziest things there, but they were classics.
And "haven't heard of Br'er rabbit" movie....who's ever heard of a dancing dolls movie or jungle cruise movie or any other of the many rides that really have nothing to do with a movie??........they are just FUN!!!!
SM will be one of the FIRST rides we hit this trip. Last 2 times it was closed or my child was too short I felt guilty so I didn't ride because he couldn't and I wanted him too soooo bad!!!

Gina (me) Brent (DH) Landon (DS 14) Jaci (DD 4)
Many one day trips growing up ~ May 1996 PORS 1st trip w/hubby & his 1st trip ~ May 2002 WL Landon's 1st trip ~ Febuary 2005 CBR just the 3 of us ~ January 2009 BWV/AKV just 3 of us again ~ Nov/Dec 2011 AKV Kadani/Jambo ALL 4 of us! Jaci's 1st trip & 2nd bday! ALL of ours 1st time @ Christmas!~January 2012 AKV~
Gmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Always Dream
Mouseketeer

That's awful!!! I really hope it's not true.

Splash Mountain is perfect just the way it is. The Frog and the Princess was, in my opinion, and OK movie, but not nearly good enough to change Splash!

Why mess with a good thing?
Always Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Gmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
That's depressing. I like PATF, but Splash Mountain is perfect the way it is.
My daughter's name is JACI and we arrive a day b4 you

Many one day trips growing up ~ May 1996 PORS 1st trip w/hubby & his 1st trip ~ May 2002 WL Landon's 1st trip ~ Febuary 2005 CBR just the 3 of us ~ January 2009 BWV/AKV just 3 of us again ~ Nov/Dec 2011 AKV Kadani/Jambo ALL 4 of us! Jaci's 1st trip & 2nd bday! ALL of ours 1st time @ Christmas!~January 2012 AKV~
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

I really don't see them doing this. But if they did, I think that would be the end of our Disney trips. It's one of the main attractions for our family. If they re-theme this ride, they might as well bull doze the castle and put up a skyscraper.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Gmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
I really don't see them doing this. But if they did, I think that would be the end of our Disney trips. It's one of the main attractions for our family. If they re-theme this ride, they might as well bull doze the castle and put up a skyscraper.
I seriously laughed outloud at the thought of that!! That would be the end of Disney for us too. I think some of the imagineers are trying to make things a little too "modern". They need to keep the mindset of the man that created all of this, and create/change things the way HE would!!! On another thread I found out they have met with James Cameron for an addition to Animal Kingdom- called Avatar Land.....how weird is that? Has nothing to do with AK and I can see the multitudes of families with little ones RUNNING away from the 9 ft blue alien things that look like this There's no way in the world I could get (or even would THINK about) taking my little one into an Avatar Land. I could care less about going in myself. That's one of the worst movies, but made how much money?? James made one big hit and that calls for an attraction at DISNEY!? I would rather see the Titanic sitting by the tree of Life than blue aliens climbing out of it!!!
They need more t do with animals and the earth....... If they MUST-put alien land in DHS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: