Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #31
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I loved the review and knew it was all in good fun. I live in Oklahomer [per Bob] and the Podcast gang has definitely had some fun with our state. It's no big deal. They tease because they love.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Taking a page from Kevin's book I'm going to make one last post about this and leave it behind.

I found Kevin's story hilarious...I was laughing out loud listening to it, and they both said it was a bad idea to get into a random tour guide's car....oh please tell me he at least wasn't holding a cardboard sign?

What made me want to weep is that between the weather and the "tour guide", who I still would like to find and ring his neck, Kevin and John were robbed of what could have been an even more wonderful day in one of our most historic and beautiful cities. The story was just that, as I see it, a story and not really part of a review of Halifax. Which is why I'm glad to see some folks posting about what shore excursions were done.

I think some of the sensativity on the subject is something that was not unique to Kevin and John's experience, the lack of knowledge about where in the world they actually were ie. Nova Scotia versus New Brunswick, river versus harbour etc. It would be like someone being in New Jersey and refering to it as New York. I've traveled in the States quite a bit and it never fails to produce an interesting conversation at some point about where we are actually located (no, sir, Nova Scotia is not over by England). I've even seen a brand new gps that had maps that showed Quebec and Ontario but stopped at the Maine/ New Brunswick, as apparently the Eastern half of Canada had been swept off the earth. But like Kevin said he had no preconceived notion about where he was going.

Please, Kevin and John add Halifax,Nova Scotia to your future bucket list.....and call me!

Last edited by Applemomma; 08-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Applemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #33
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Woooo - haven't listened yet, can't wait!
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
disney4dan
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed the podcast and can relate to the description of the fog. It is almost impossible to describe how creepy it can be. We traveled by car along the west side of the Bay of Fundy years ago on our way to visit relatives in NB. We were really looking forward to the scenery but got nothing but fog all along the coast - difficult to drive in. another reason to go back and try it again.

Oh, Tim Horton's coffee is one of my preferred cups! Dunkin Donuts is better. By the way John, they have exported Tim Horton's to the Albany area and much of the Thruway corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Just passed a Tim Horton's in Amsterdam NY... will have to stop and try it...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #36
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

John is from NJ.

I'm the one who knows the NYS Thruway.

I even know where Amsterdam is.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #37
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Ex Jersey girl here...

so that means I can chat Upstate with you and Jersey with John and Pete!

& I'm part French Canadian...

Talk about being bilingual...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #38
cdotla
Trish

Oh goodness...I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I am glad I saw this first. My heart would have been crushed that someone I love and listen to every week didn't enjoy my city. Now at least I can be prepared and hopefully see the humor in the segment.

Just as if I was the manager of a restaurant you were reviewing, and wanting your experience and comments to be all (or mostly) positive, I have such pride in my city and want others to think it is as great as I do.
I hate knowing that Halifax wasn't a positive experience for you, for whatever reason.

There is no doubt you were short-changed on your visit, and it sounds like Mother Nature may have played a big part in that. Doesn't matter where you are...when it is pouring down rain and you want to get out and explore a city, that is going to negatively affect things.

Rest assured, it does not sound at all like you saw the real Halifax. But I am looking forward to a few chuckles about your crazy "tour guide" when I finally listen to the podcast!
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #39
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Canadians put ham on a pizza and call it bacon.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
MinnieMommy
DIS Veteran

Oh my!

Another Canadian here.

Laughed so hard I almost lost all of my coffee (not Tim Horton's) on to my computer!

I'll cast my vote for you to have a re-do visit to Nova Scotia too. I think you have enough of us here that we could each show up with vehicles to chauffeur you all around (we'll even make nice VIP signs).

I know you all travel enough to know that some less than stellar experiences are sometimes just random occurrences.

We really would love you to come back to show you more sights, sounds and tastes of Nova Scotia.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #41
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

Just got off my Canadian DCL cruise. Can't wait to hear your assessment. I'll comment once I hear the podcast.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
Canadians put ham on a pizza and call it bacon.
we do? I'm pretty sure last time I had ham on pizza it was called ham. But you can get bacon too. :-)

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #43
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
we do? I'm pretty sure last time I had ham on pizza it was called ham. But you can get bacon too. :-)

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

We have funny coloured money too and if you win it in the lottery it's tax free
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
appycat
appycat

That segment was hilarious! Have listened more than once and even looked up the Halifax explosion.
appycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: