Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran
 
Woodmnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,131

Soy Milk & Juice

I have read that soy milk is available onboard, however, does anyone know where and is it easy to get? DS (2yo) is allergic to milk and asks for milk before we are even out of bed in the morning.

Also, what types of juice are available for free? Where and when can these be found?

Thanks
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I have read that soy milk is available onboard, however, does anyone know where and is it easy to get? DS (2yo) is allergic to milk and asks for milk before we are even out of bed in the morning.

Also, what types of juice are available for free? Where and when can these be found?

Thanks
Cabana's has orange and apple juice, but it's only available during breakfast and possibly lunch. I went to get some apple juice late in the evening and the drink dispensers weren't working.
__________________
Sandy

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Room service can supply juice when the restaurants are closed. They have apple, orange, grapefruit, tomato, V-8, cranberry, and probably some that I'm forgetting.

You can get soy milk at the restaurants. Your server will be happy to fix a "to go" cup for you which you can store in your stateroom refrigerator so your child can have it first thing in the morning or after nap time. It is available in all of the restaurants including Cabanas during the hours they are open. If you don't see it at Cabanas, ask for it. It will be helpful if you have your TA note on your reservation that your child needs this product. It is stocked on the ship for each cruise, but if they know of needs, they will increase the quantity stocked.

If you are on the Magic or Wonder, you'll have a cooling box in your room rather than a real refrigerator. Place a cup of ice in there along with whatever other items you want to chill (like the milk) and it will stay wonderfully cold.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran
 
Woodmnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Room service can supply juice when the restaurants are closed. They have apple, orange, grapefruit, tomato, V-8, cranberry, and probably some that I'm forgetting.

You can get soy milk at the restaurants. Your server will be happy to fix a "to go" cup for you which you can store in your stateroom refrigerator so your child can have it first thing in the morning or after nap time. It is available in all of the restaurants including Cabanas during the hours they are open. If you don't see it at Cabanas, ask for it. It will be helpful if you have your TA note on your reservation that your child needs this product. It is stocked on the ship for each cruise, but if they know of needs, they will increase the quantity stocked.

If you are on the Magic or Wonder, you'll have a cooling box in your room rather than a real refrigerator. Place a cup of ice in there along with whatever other items you want to chill (like the milk) and it will stay wonderfully cold.
Thanks so much for the info. I did have my TA note that my son has a dairy allergy. I also appreciate the clarification on the cooling boxes/fridge issue. We will be sailing Fantasy, but I was confused about the conflicting reports of cooling boxes/fridges and didn't realize that it varied from the old ships to the new.
I also plan to bring some of the Silk single serve boxes that don't require refrigeration, but I am hoping that it will be easy enough to get soy milk we won't need to rely on these full time.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
cherylp3
Florida Resident
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Davenport, FL (Orlando Area)
Posts: 4,738

Also DCL uses rice milk too. Room service should also be able to cater for allergies.

Also the coffee bars should have soymilk as well. They did on the dream when I was there.
__________________
Dreams DO come true!!
Booked on 2008 Member cruise!!

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
kventventx
Mouseketeer
 
kventventx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 114

If you have noted the allergy as part of your reservation and then check in with Food Services when you board, Disney will assign a Head Server to you to accommodate the allergy. They will go above and beyond anything you can imagine. I'm allergic to dairy, nuts, and a whole host of other items and on our last cruise I even got desserts which is impossible at home. They will provide whatever you want or need.
__________________
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qcloex17fun07xbe.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>
kventventx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran
 
Woodmnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by kventventx View Post
If you have noted the allergy as part of your reservation and then check in with Food Services when you board, Disney will assign a Head Server to you to accommodate the allergy. They will go above and beyond anything you can imagine. I'm allergic to dairy, nuts, and a whole host of other items and on our last cruise I even got desserts which is impossible at home. They will provide whatever you want or need.
Thank you. I have heard nothing but good things about Disney and food allergies. We also had a very good experience with Princess when we sailed for DS's 1st birthday. Fortunately since that time DS has been able to integrate breads that contain a small amount of dairy, but he still can't do anything creamy or cheesy. This does make it fairly easy for me to pick and choose what he can and can't have without too much additional help, but desserts can always be a problem. I was planning on taking some fruit snacks as well as mini Oreos for times when a suitable dessert can't be easily obtained.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
momto2redheadgirls
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28

Disney is EXCELLENT with food allergies, both myself and ODD have them and each night, we were given the menu for the next night for us to choose our menu and then they made sure that they had that specially prepared, or slightly altered from the original recipe so that we got as close to the actual item as we could. One night they had decorate your own cupcakes and ODD can't have Red #40, so they did hers with chocolate sauce instead of strawberry sauce and gave her sprinkles that were safe for her. She was thrilled! You will have a blast and hopefully be able to relax (as much as a food allergy mom can) while dining!
momto2redheadgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
M2DD's
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
Thank you. I have heard nothing but good things about Disney and food allergies. We also had a very good experience with Princess when we sailed for DS's 1st birthday. Fortunately since that time DS has been able to integrate breads that contain a small amount of dairy, but he still can't do anything creamy or cheesy. This does make it fairly easy for me to pick and choose what he can and can't have without too much additional help, but desserts can always be a problem. I was planning on taking some fruit snacks as well as mini Oreos for times when a suitable dessert can't be easily obtained.
My DD is also the same way as your little boy. As she has gotten older(almost 9) she is able to eat more dairy

She was able to get "rice cream" every night in the main dining room for dessert. They also brought her topping that she can have like fruit and sprinkles
They also made her chocolate soy milk to drink with her meal and a cup to go
__________________
M2DD's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
hpsalb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 88

DS drinks lactose-free milk and they marked it on our reservation and asked us to fill out a form. DCL contacted us to clarify and indicated that room service would have milk for him and we could keep it in our room. They brought us Silk (soy milk, which is lactose-free). He doesn't do as well with soy but he ultimately did ok with a little of both during the day. It was easier to get Silk than "lactose-free dairy milk" (Lactaid) - so you should be fine!

They had him marked as having a dairy allergy (which he doesn't) and our asst. waiter checked with us on ok foods several times.

One of our tablemate families had recently found out their DS had peanut allergies and the waitstaff seemed great about accommodating that too. Just make sure DCL is aware ahead of time.
__________________
Heather
hpsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
aaklang
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by kventventx View Post
If you have noted the allergy as part of your reservation and then check in with Food Services when you board, Disney will assign a Head Server to you to accommodate the allergy. They will go above and beyond anything you can imagine. I'm allergic to dairy, nuts, and a whole host of other items and on our last cruise I even got desserts which is impossible at home. They will provide whatever you want or need.
This is such a relief for me! My son is also allergic to dairy and nuts, as well as eggs. Desserts are the hardest when everyone else gets a special treat and he can't. Did you get a variety of stuff for dessert? He will be so excited to have yummy treats like everyone else. what ship were you on? We are sailing Fantasy (western carib)

How hard was it to accommodate your allergies in the ports? Hoping we can find good lunches in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Also, can someone tell me where to find the form? Is there one specifically for food allergies? I found the special needs request form, but it doesn't have anywhere to mark about food. Am I missing something?
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.