Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #76
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
... There are house phones all over the ship that they can call you from and I didn't feel like giving them a $250 phone to lose. Have a great time!
On our last cruise (on the Wonder), we didn't pay attention to the location of the house phones. Are they located in central spots on each deck (i.e. the elevator banks)? Or are they just randomly placed about the ship?

thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #77
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiel View Post
This is perfect. I copied it to go over with me 15 yo DS tonight.
I love this list. But my kids would never be able to remember the whole thing. So I keep mine a bit shorter, with the same basic elements included. Go parents that actually care about their kids and don't let them run through the ship with no boundries! I think we are all on the same page.

My only additional rule is for them to watch out for other kids that may put themselves in a dangerous situation and to immediately report it to a CM or the nearest adult. Back in February there was a boy about 11 that was holding up his younger brother over the protective side of the ship. Literally hanging over the water. My son not only snatched the child from the brother's arms but alerted an adult immediately.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #78
mcroadman
Mouseketeer

Red face great support

[We are delighted to be doing our first cruise and our daughter now has a great list of rules that she will be aware of from "the get-go!" Thanks to the moms and dads for sharing. We want everyone on board to have a good time.. fewer missteps, means more fun and less tears because we will have fewer misunderstands!

Mean Momma

Magic out of Galveston! Oct. 6, 2012
WHAT AN EXCELLENT TRIP!
::
mcroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #79
LoriS
Why is the rum always gone????

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. We cruise next Saturday and this is my daughters first time in the Edge.

LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #80
ceight
Earning My Ears

I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?

[/url]
ceight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #81
SteamboatWillie1021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps.

CRUISE RULES
None of these are optional

You are not to enter any cabin without me. Ever.

No one is to enter our cabin except you.

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Do not hang out, horse around or run in the stairwells, hallways or elevators.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

No going to the outside areas of the upper deck at night.

Do not leave the stateroom a mess. The room steward has enough to do!
Keep all of your valuables in the cabin safe.

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.
Wow! My kids are 2 and 4 but this I need to save for the future! Behavior and manners are SO important and I don't think enough parents teach these things. I'm sure just by reading this you have nothing to worry about. By this point you have taught him how to be a gentleman and I'm sure it is second nature. GOOD JOB MAMA BEAR!!!
SteamboatWillie1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #82
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.
Put the phone in airplane mode and shut off the data services. You can do these under Settings. Then she can use it as a camera and for music or whatever - but no making or receiving calls or texts or data. You would have to trust her not to turn that stuff back on though.

All kids should be instructed to stay out of other staterooms (that do not belong to their party) and against inviting anyone into their stateroom.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 09-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #83
BAT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceight View Post
I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?
No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #84
TracyJAE
Mouseketeer

what ages

What ages do the kids have to wear the wrist bands?

2013 August 28-September 2 WDW & Caribbean Beach Resort
2012 December 9-13 1st Disney Cruise on Dream
TracyJAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #85
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyJAE
What ages do the kids have to wear the wrist bands?
Any child who is in the oceaneer club or lab. So thre and potty trained and up.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #86
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT

No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.
And kids do not have to wear them the entire cruise. They only have to wear them when they are in the clubs on the ship.

My kids asked us to take them off at night. They also don't need them in the kids club on Castaway Cay. They don't have scanners there, so they will just issue a band without attaching the tracker. That reduces the risk of losing it while swimming!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #87
mama2ellie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspwrhr View Post
Funny you mention this. This was one of the FIRST things we discussed with our 14yo once our cruise was booked. I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

We are traveling with one of her best friends, who I am 99% positive will have her iPhone with her the whole time. Alone, I'm fairly certain that my daughter would respect the rules and her worst infraction would be responding to a text with 'can't talk on cruise see you in a week". With peer influence (her friend is a phoneaholic) I'm pretty sure we'd both be coming home with crazy bills. We're not leaving the phone at home because we're going to Disney the week before and the girls will be allowed some freedom in the parks and need the phone to get in touch with us.

Then the debate is on about the wave phone. lol

Our boys turn their iPhones to airplane mode once we step onboard the ship. It will not work for anything that requires an internet or wireless signal. Music and standalone apps only.
mama2ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #88
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

Hi,
iPhone's in airplane mode can still use wireless. You just have to re-enable wireless after you put the phone into airplane mode.

One money saving solution is to call your carrier, give them the dates you will be on the ship, and have them disable long distance calls, data roaming etc. for those dates. I do this when I go overseas and it works very well. The phone is always on again on the date I specify.

Be sure to go into Network settings and turn off data roaming and cellular data and also turn off things like push notifications and location services.

Cheers

Karen
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #89
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #90
moebear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!
My daughters will be 11 and 12 on our next cruise and they are never allowed on the balconies without an adult unless they are sitting down and we can see them at all times. I am paranoid that way and I get many an eye roll. But tough!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: