Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #31
mom-of-twins-2002
Mouseketeer

I'm going to use a modified version of this with my 9yo DD's for our sept trip. Great ideas!!
mom-of-twins-2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #32
vickxo
DIS Veteran

While I think actually giving a typed out list to a tween or teen is a bit silly, i do not think it is silly at all to make sure your kids know those rules. If my mom were to hand me a list when I was 15 and go here follow these rules - I would have probably laughed at her, but if she just talked to me instead I'd listen and follow them.
I just wish more parents took the time to teach their kids manners like you all are doing! If I had a dollar for every time I said "WHERE ARE THAT KIDS PARENTS?!?" on my last cruise lets just say I'd be going on A LOT more cruises!

A little boy on pirate night before all the activities started was running up and down on the stage - was opening the pirate chest & playing with the canons and was asked to stop MULTIPLE times by cruise staff members and told not to be on the stage - the mother goes to the kid - "go back up there so I can take a picture" - so the kid does - the mother than says sit on the chest - the kid doesn't want to because he just got in trouble for touching it not 2 minutes earlier, and tells his mom "i'm not supposed to touch it" the mom than says the most horrifying thing I ever heard - "IT'S DISNEY - YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT."
93': WDW Dixie Landing; 95': WDW Dixie Landing; 97': WDW Corando Springs; 99': WDW Boardwalk Villas; 01': WDW Boardwalk Villas; 01':Disney Wonder Cruise - FL/Bahama; 03': WDW Boardwalk Villas; 05': WDW Yacht Club; 07': WDW Boardwalk Villas; 10': WDW Boardwalk Villas; 12': Disney Magic Cruise - NYC/Bahama; 12': Disney Magic Cruise - NYC/Canada; 13': WDW Boardwalk Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge
vickxo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer

That is excellent advice. I plan to use that too. I'm always amazed at people who are completely unaware of their immediate surroundings. I've thought often about how to help my daughter develop that valuable instinct.
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

You guys are all awesome... Thanks for the kind words, and THANKS to the OP for starting this thread and giving us an avenue to share ideas in regards to our kids.

Honestly, I think a lot of what I have put into practice over the years has come from necessity. I've been divorced since DS was not even 2, and it has been just he & I since then. We've been going to WDW since he was 4, and cruising since he was 5, and since it's just me I can't be there with him ALL the time. But I've never been a hover-parent anyway -- I'm raising my son the same way my brother and I were raised, as Clotho so perfectly put it, "independent with a compass." We had freedom, but we were reminded often how quickly that freedom would go away if we took advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickxo View Post
While I think actually giving a typed out list to a tween or teen is a bit silly, i do not think it is silly at all to make sure your kids know those rules. If my mom were to hand me a list when I was 15 and go here follow these rules - I would have probably laughed at her, but if she just talked to me instead I'd listen and follow them.

Then you'll really laugh when I tell you that not only is the list printed, but my son and I both sign a revised copy before every trip. It's a contract -- and I believe strongly that the act of him signing off on it fosters accountability. But we all parent differently, and we all know our own kids best.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great lists everyone, filing them away for future reference.

DH and I expect the same behavior of our children when we are on vacation as when we are home. We expect them to be polite, decent little human beings. But the safety and checking in stuff is good to have.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #36
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Great lists!!!

So far, my DD's have been too young to check themselves out or be anywhere by themselves, but some of these rules would work for them, too.

And printing it out so it's right there? Priceless! I don't know how many times I've heard my 10-year-old say "You didn't tell me that." or "I didn't know." With it in writing? Guess what? Now you know.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
UCFALUM
Mouseketeer

Great thread!
I just read all the rules to my 10 & 12 year old DS and will modify them for our trip. Love, love the idea of them signing the rules.
TFS!

stayed at Cont, Poly, CS, CB, FW Cabins, 2003 Magic Eastern Caribbean, 2005 POP Century
Lived in Orlando 89-99
Parent's 50th Anniversary Grand Gathering POR Oct 08:
Sickfest 5-11 Embassy Suites LBV
Make up trip 3-12
Magic, Galveston 11-12
DL Hong Kong 10-13

Licensed Florida Realtor, Emerald Coast
UCFALUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #38
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Great advice...DS is 2, so of course he's not on his own (ever, much to his chagrin), but good ideas as he grows. Especially some of the safety things (not going into anyone's stateroom, etc.), which are good advice anywhere. I'm embarrassed to say I've never put much thought into how risky it is to open a hotel room to try and get inside if someone is nearby. I probably would, thinking I'd be safer inside. But now I won't!

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #39
jmpooh
Mouseketeer

Today while my DD and I got our hair done I went over the rules that Gina posted as well as the others on here. A lot of them she already knew but some of the made her think. I don't think giving them guidelines and structure is a bad thing! In fact many of my friends now tell me they wish there parents had given them a few more rules and guidance when they were growing up!
jmpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #40
stulaurie
Mouseketeer

My DD is never allowed to use the elevator when coming back to the Cabin after her Club, or anytime at night. Too many people who have been drinking, and alot can happen behind closed doors. She is also not allowed to go outside at night for any reason by herself or with friends.
stulaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
DLW8
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great ideas....I had been thinking about this, but hadn't sat down to make a list to review with the kids (and I love the contract idea, Gina!)

This will be their first time in the Edge with more freedom, so I definitely want to make sure we are all on the same page with the rules.

I also like the post about the parents had the wave phones, and the kids can use the house phones. We had been considering getting an extra phone so each kid would have one, but perhaps I will use that now. They can use the house phone or a friend's wave phone to contact us.

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #42
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I'm excited about the wave phones! We used walkie talkies for years, and then he just got too old for that and we went to the find-a-house-phone plan, but this will be so much easier.

I also wanted to thank a pp for the rule about noticing if anyone alone is around you before you go in your room -- I honestly had not thought of that at ALL. That's why I love threads like this... We all learn new stuff every day. My own list has been cobbled together over the years from different suggestions here and there, plus my own observations on cruises. That tip I just learned is going on my list now!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #43
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
This thread is one of the greats.
I agree! I haven't read the entire thread yet, and it might seem like common sense, but I see it happen all the time:

Please be kind to the environment and DO NOT throw ANYTHING overboard! It may be safe for human consumption, but could possibly harm an animal or the ocean!

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #44
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Red face

Putting on my fire suit Before I post our rules please remember that each family/parent/child is different. And hopefully each parent KNOWS their own child's limitations. With that being said.....

Our teenage girls MUST not bring their cell phones. One of our last Disney Cruises they were texting the whole time "but we have unlimited text" and our bill was over $700 when we got home.

We do not like using the wave phones so the fastest way is to either call the cabin from a house phone and leave a message where you will be, or if you in the cabin you can also leave a message from your cabin phone.

Our girls curfew is 1 hour past the time that the teen club closes. After that you must be back in the cabin. That way it gives them time to go up and grab some pizza/soda/hot chocolate make plans with their friends for the next day.

Our boys are not forced to eat any meal with us, but they can not just live on ice cream/soda/chicken strips They have to have something healthy at least once a day after all it is their vacation as well. They don't get to eat junk food at home.

None of our kids are allowed to walk through the Adult's only areas.

They don't have to attend any of the shows, but they usually end up seeing most of the movies....since it is EXTREMELY expensive to take 6 people to the movies at home it is a very rare treat.

Our kids have all been taught from a very early age to open doors for ladies, elderly, or someone with an arm full. They all say please and thank you 95% of the time, And that doesn't stop just because we are on vacation. In fact a little brag moment here. On our last cruise the lady who answers the room service phone sent me and our kids a hand written letter each saying how proud she was of the kids, they were always polite, always tipped, and were very respectful. and how she wished many other kids would be.

Our boys do have check in and out privileges and they do not have to attend any activity that the clubs are having.

And lastly..which I'm sure I'm forgetting alot...is do not make it harder for any CM/Cabin Steward/Waiter their job is SUPER hard as it is.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
uscgrl93
Beach Girl

Gina, I love the "leave a message on the whiteboard" idea. I never thought about that! Bringing a small whiteboard to leave in the room is a great idea...for every member of the family! I am so adding that to my list of things to bring!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: