Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

I think these are fantastic, not just for the cruise but for everyday life. Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps.

CRUISE RULES
None of these are optional

You are not to enter any cabin without me. Ever.

No one is to enter our cabin except you.

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Do not hang out, horse around or run in the stairwells, hallways or elevators.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

No going to the outside areas of the upper deck at night.

Do not leave the stateroom a mess. The room steward has enough to do!
Keep all of your valuables in the cabin safe.

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
You pretty much covered it. I would add:

Use hand sanitizer AND wash your hands often.

A few cruises back (on the Magic) our DS contracted norovirus from something he touched in Ocean Quest - NOT a pleasant cruise.
Your list is great the fact that you have rules means your kids are going to be that much better behaved and protected
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
DL1957
DIS Veteran

You parents are all awesome! DH and I were not blessed with children but have wonderful nieces and nephews. In our almost 10 DCL crusies 90% of the parents are just like you folks. We just need to get the other 10% be as respectful to their children and others as your folks are. Well done parents!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

I intend to treat the cruise ship no differently than I would a disney hotel. I would not let my 10 year old wander a disney hotel alone, why would I let her do this on a cruise ship?

So while my 10/12/14 year old CAN check themselves out of the clubs, they will know to call me , and I will come get them, simple. Call me over protective.... Im okay with that! lol!

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
tubtruck
Tubtastic

Wow at what point are they allowed to behave like kids, glad my parents had a far more laid back approach, gave me fond memories.

tubtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubtruck
Wow at what point are they allowed to behave like kids, glad my parents had a far more laid back approach, gave me fond memories.
Seriously?! They are allowed to be kids the entire time they are on the cruise........respectful, thoughtful, SAFE kids...!
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubtruck View Post
What does it mean to "behave like kids"?

I'm not seeing "don't giggle", "don't have fun", or anything else on those lists. Just "how to be a decent human being who doesn't ruin the good time of others and doesn't get killed or assaulted".

Basically the same stuff my mom taught us when we were little back in the 70s (and what her mom taught her and her sibs in the 40s). Sure, we were a little more free-range, IMO that was a bit overboard back then. Not sure how the parents were so disconnected from us back then! On the other hand, I was (and still sort of am) convinced that my mom was psychic, as she always knew if we'd been up to something while she wasn't home!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

These rules are fantastic! My parents raised me with manners and no matter how much fun you are having you should never forget those manners. It doesn't matter if you are on a cruise, at the mall with your friends, or at your great aunt's fancy dinner party you should always be a polite, pleasant person. There is no reason why you can't cut loose and have a good time on vacation but there is also no reason why all etiquette should go out the door.
There IS such a thing as having fun, and that does NOT have to include misbehaving. Are kids going to mess up? Of course. But that's the parent's job, to issue consequences so that they learn from the experience and become better people for it.

I don't have children but this is the way I was raised, as well as most of my close friends. This is how I intend to raise my children and how I am helping to assist in raising my younger brothers (10/8/4). I'm so happy to know that DCL has parents that have standards for their children. My DH and I were a little worried the place would be a evil spawn free for all

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2013 with Sam's DF, DSM, and DB's 11, 8, and 5
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubtruck View Post

I just shared this response with my DS and he had a good laugh over it. It's amazing how well children/tweens/teens respond to rules and structure. The greatest gift any of us can give our children in the long run is independence, and with that comes self-reliance. Someplace like a cruise is a great place to give them a bit more freedom than they might have in an open city or something, and while bad things can absolutely happen anywhere, there are fewer opportunities on a cruise ship and the rules posted by everyone will pretty much avoid all of those "opportunities."

And my son says he has more fond memories than all of his friends. A framework of guidelines and trust that is held sacred = more freedom to have fun!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

Wow, thanks for the great reponses. There was so much I didn't think of.

But, I have to say, Gina, . Wonderful list.

I'm going to assimilate all this information, and come up the list we will go over with the kids.

Thanks especially for the emergency information (we haven't sailed in 3 years). Also wanted to note that I don't know if I would be as comfortable giving the kids such freedom on a larger boat. I love the Magic because it is managable and feels cozy.

The kids will have a wonderful time, even if their Dad and I insist they wash their hands!

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
Drew770
Earning My Ears

Quote:
This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps.

CRUISE RULES

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.
I swear I was reading these rules and my mother's voice was what I heard! Some things are timeless.

The last one in particular hit a note! Mom and Dad always knew what I had done before I even got through the door!
Drew770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #27
Clotho
Doting on Disney

AH! You guys are nearly making me tear up with "GO, GREAT PARENTS, GO!"

These are great rules, and address common courtesy and common safety issues. Nothing in here makes me cringe with hover-parenting--the opposite in fact, it inspires the children to be independent with a compass!

These are all things my parents taught us, and I am constantly appalled at how rare it seems to be these days. Thanks for doing your part to support common courtesy and self-awareness in the next generation!

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
McNabrat
First Timer!

Quote:

CRUISE RULES

I want to cruise with you and your family!! Way to go & well stated!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #29
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Gina, you are my new best friend and I want to make sure that you (and your son) are always on my cruises! This is how my parents raised us, with an expectation that we would have fun while being decent people aware of the world around us and our place in it. Good job!

And yes, back in the good old days, our moms always had eyes in the backs of their heads.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

This thread is one of the greats.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: