Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

The surprises need to be surprises. And how do you put the Genie back in the bottle? If I knew what was going to happen, the pure "shock and awe" of the experience would have been lost. I appreciate the crew and fellow adventurers keeping the genie bottled, Pandora's box closed, and Santa in the North Pole!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin

I think you missed my point.

People who are able / willing to pay have a right to be surprised, whether it's $10 or $10,000 and I don't think we should spoil it.

As for whether it was over hyped or not.....let's assume it was...that way not knowing is not a big deal.
I think we definitely have to agree to disagree. If I'm paying that much, I have the right to know everything and not be surprised. (I absolutely hate being surprised; I was once thrown a surprise party and walked out because of the surprise).

If you're not going to mention the details, the "nicest" thing to do in my opinion, is not to talk about the trips. Until then, it remains "it was too awesome to share with the commoners."

This is a person with multiple skill sets
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I think we definitely have to agree to disagree. If I'm paying that much, I have the right to know everything and not be surprised. (I absolutely hate being surprised; I was once thrown a surprise party and walked out because of the surprise).

If you're not going to mention the details, the "nicest" thing to do in my opinion, is not to talk about the trips. Until then, it remains "it was too awesome to share with the commoners."
I'm truly sorry that you feel this way, but, if this is the case, it's my advice that you never, ever consider an ABD trip.

Whether it's affordable or not, you would be very unhappy, as ABD loves to surprise their guests with wonderful things not listed as part of the tour

We have repeat guests that have booked this trip for next year. It is my hope that they too can be thrilled by the opportunity to still be surprised

And it seems that as you now know that these trips are not for you, because there are always surprises, then the details shouldn't matter.

I would also suggest that, because we probably won't ever give away all of the surprises, that you skip over the ABD segments. This way you don't feel like a "commoner".
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I am the type of person that enjoys spoilers for tv, movies, etc. I didn't seek out the surprises for the Backstage Magic to see if it lived up to the hype.

For the Backstage Magic I am glad I didn't know the surprises. The trip without any surprises was pretty awesome!!! With the Disney "surprises" it put me over the top. I felt like I was pixie dusted as only Disney can do. I am sure if you look on the internet someone has spoiled the secrets but you won't see me telling anyone.

Trust me you get your money's worth on this tour!!! No need to be concerned about that.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #35
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
. . . .

Just in case there is any doubt, I could not disagree more.

I also find your use of the word "commoners" quite misplaced. It implies a class divide when the DIS actually brings a disparate group of folks together. We are all commoners.

The cost of an ABD trip is, admittedly, beyond the reach of many folks. But to imply that the podcast team should not talk about them because of this isn't very fair. Going to WDW is beyond the financial reach of many folks. So should we just not have any more DIS Unplugged podcasts?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
TinkerChelle
Happy Mommy of 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
Let me be clear, I'm dying to share these surprises. Disney deserves accolades for the great surprises we had. It just simply isn't fair to people who may take the trip in the future.

How about this.... Someone invent a Mission: Impossible style self destructing podcast that can only be listened to inside of a Get Smart style Cone of Silence, and then I'll convince the whole trip to spill the beans on a recording. Deal?
I miss you Andy!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
TinkerChelle
Happy Mommy of 2

Quote:

Speaking as a commoner, this discussion is beginning to frustrate me. I made several sacrifices this past year to be able to take this wonderful adventure. I also had the love and support of a wonderful wife who made sacrifices to afford me the chance to do this adventure because she knew how much it meant to me. As a Disney Geek/Freak, which I lovingly refer to myself, it was definitely worth the sacrifices.

I also understand where you are coming from. Having listened to previous discussions on the podcast about this particular trip, I was often intrigued by the "special things" that were kept out of the discussion. At that point, I didn't believe this trip was within my "grasp" either; however, I never felt entitled to the secrets because it wasn't just about me.

I hope you are able to be in a position to experience a trip like this or a trip similar to this. I truly do.

"If you can dream it, you can do it!"......Walt Disney

Last edited by TinkerChelle; 08-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #38
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I'm truly sorry that you feel this way, but, if this is the case, it's my advice that you never, ever consider an ABD trip.

Whether it's affordable or not, you would be very unhappy, as ABD loves to surprise their guests with wonderful things not listed as part of the tour
I'm glad to know this. Although I probably could never afford an ABD trip, few things upset me more than deviating from published details. Ironically, giving me less makes me less upset than giving me more (such as when things are closed due to maintenance).

[Don't know how to quote from multiple messages, so...]

"I also find your use of the word "commoners" quite misplaced. It implies a class divide when the DIS actually brings a disparate group of folks together. We are all commoners."

You are proving my point for me. Before this recent trip, I cannot recall the team announcing there was something wonderful that they weren't going to tell us about. There could have been, but they didn't announce it.

I realize my words are coming across too strong, because I respect the people who were on the trip for respecting ABD's wishes to keep the secret. However, if I were in that situation, I wouldn't have even mentioned that there was information I was keeping secret.

While I know it wasn't the podcast team's intent, it is, to me, very similar to kids on the playground teasing others with the fact they know a secret that others don't.

And now, like Forrest Gump said, "that's all I've got to say about that."

This is a person with multiple skill sets
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
. . . "I also find your use of the word "commoners" quite misplaced. It implies a class divide when the DIS actually brings a disparate group of folks together. We are all commoners."

You are proving my point for me. Before this recent trip, I cannot recall the team announcing there was something wonderful that they weren't going to tell us about. There could have been, but they didn't announce it.

I realize my words are coming across too strong, because I respect the people who were on the trip for respecting ABD's wishes to keep the secret. However, if I were in that situation, I wouldn't have even mentioned that there was information I was keeping secret. I was always told growing up that to advertise you know a secret is rude.
Without agreeing on your point, I recall other ABD trip(s) where "secrets" were not given away on the podcast.

While I understanding the perspective of folks who would like a "special" podcast that "reveals all", I'm having a hard time understanding your perspective. You appear to me to be saying that you think it impolite to discuss it at all. I just can't see anything wrong with telling listeners that an ABD trip is more than is being described.

But my fundamental point was simply that I hope Pete and John continue to do what they think is appropriate.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I would also suggest that, because we probably won't ever give away all of the surprises, that you skip over the ABD segments.
I think this is a good tip. The podcast team will never disclose all of the surprises (else, it won't be a surprise, right?) that happen on the trips. If people are truly upset that they don't know every detail that happened, then it probably is a good idea not to listen to those segments. There are plenty of other segments that can be listened to for Disney information.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm glad to know this. Although I probably could never afford an ABD trip, few things upset me more than deviating from published details. Ironically, giving me less makes me less upset than giving me more (such as when things are closed due to maintenance).

[Don't know how to quote from multiple messages, so...]

"I also find your use of the word "commoners" quite misplaced. It implies a class divide when the DIS actually brings a disparate group of folks together. We are all commoners."

I realize my words are coming across too strong, because I respect the people who were on the trip for respecting ABD's wishes to keep the secret. However, if I were in that situation, I wouldn't have even mentioned that there was information I was keeping secret.

While I know it wasn't the podcast team's intent, it is, to me, very similar to kids on the playground teasing others with the fact they know a secret that others don't.

And now, like Forrest Gump said, "that's all I've got to say about that."
While we all enjoy recording the podcast and consider it an honor that y'all listen and enjoy what we have to say, you must remember that there is a business driving and paying for the show.

Consider this a business decision in that we wish to keep potential clients happy. As several past and present clients have pointed out, they were happy to not know the secrets.

I'm truly sorry that you see us as school yard bullies. I find that to be misguided at best and actually feel that your posting it is a better example of bullying that what you are accusing us of doing. Between that and the "commoners" comment, I'm starting to find the whole conversation a bit distasteful.

I have explained myself and given all of our reasons for not sharing the secrets and with this post intend to stop defending my/our position on the subject.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #42
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I think that this thread has seen its end; both sides' viewpoints have been expressed and repeated. Therefore, it is now closed.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: