Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

One has to wonder though, if the kitchen shuts down at 9:00, why an 8:45 reservation was available.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 2007, 2013, planned 7/2015

DCL:
- Fantasy, Eastern Carribean planned 8/2015

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneenm View Post
One has to wonder though, if the kitchen shuts down at 9:00, why an 8:45 reservation was available.
I have to agree with you on this one!!! If that restaurant knows what time they close, then why be available on the app and when they checked in, have them down for a 8:45 ressie??? Something in the communication was seriously lacking.

But to the OP, how was the food at Ohana's?? I've been dying to go there and want to know what you think of it!!
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We have only had good experiences at the Plaza. I am sorry to hear this serious of misfortunate events caused your dinner to be delayed.
Kona is an excellent consolation prize though- so I hope you enjoyed your dinner.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin
I guess I'm not sure what was expected of Disney, other than an apology.

Attractions sometimes stop working, restaurants have posted closing times and other options can be limited.

Other than alleged curtness, I'm not sure what the issue was.

Was the waitstaff and kitchen staff supposed to remain at work to accommodate this family? This would have proven very expensive.
Well, I think if the status quo satisfies you then fine. Sure, we close at 9 not at 9:10 -have a good evening. Disney doesn't owe them anything so they're certainly not in the wrong. However, the OP may have been satisfied with a "we've officially closed, but I'll go speak with the manager to see if we can make an exception." Sometimes just the effort and not the result is enough to make someone happy. Just my opinion on a possible scenario. Besides, I wouldn't want Disney to spend any money unnecessarily since I have reason to believe they are saving it to fix the Yeti.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
LSUDentist
Earning My Ears

Let me clarify a few things. First the first post came while still venting. Second the manager at the Beach club agreed with me on the following points. Not sure if I wa clear originally on these: 1) I was using Disney Mobile Magic App, Disney's official app on Verizon. So for a cast member to acuse us of lying did not sit well. 2) The cast member said if we had showed up at 9, instead of 9:02 we would have been seated and served. For 2 minutes and to say that two minutes made a difference seems unreasonable. 3) The first three times we asked to see a manager we were told no we did not need a manager. The hotel manager at the Beach club was appalled by that part of the story especially. 4) The Cade member in charge at city hall did not seem to take an interest in our story. To Kevins point I am not sure what I expected other than concern from the CM at city hall. I felt the people at the Plaza had been rude and accusatory. Thanks to Mark (podium CM) and Jason (waiter) at Ohana we did feel good again about Disney, but that should not excuse the bad show by the CM's at tne Plaza. Also, when we asked at the Plaza why take an 8:46 reservation, the answer was we didn't the computer system did. Once again a rude remark that nothing had been their fault. Disney is about team play and u help everyone. The CM' s at the Plaza seemed very me oriented. Thanks to Bill (Beach Club), Mark and Jason at Ohana Disney magic was restored. Can not say enough great things about these CM's. For myself, we did move quickly to get the kids fed and got to the Poly about 9:30. Also, I have posted before ad toothdoc, I changed phones and could not remember my password I used. So I got a new board name. Finally, for those who ate attacking, you don't know me, we were not looking for anything and gladly paid for an excellent meal at Ohana. I am also running the Goofy, my first ever half and full marathons simply to raise money for Make A Wish kids to come to Disney. I only agreed to this insanity if my friends would help raise money. So that's me.
LSUDentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

OP, I think you have a tiny bit of the blame. If your ADR was for 8:45 you should have been at the Plaza by 8:30. Disney does tell you to arrive at your ADRs 15 minutes ahead of time. Your family shouldn't have been trying to squeeze in one last ride so close to your ADR time.

However, that doesn't excuse not seating you because you were 2 minutes late. That is just crazy! But I don't think offering up other places for you to eat at was horrible guest recovery either. I'm not sure what else they could have done at that point, besides walk to Tony's and give the staff a smack-down.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUDentist View Post
Let me clarify a few things. First the first post came while still venting. Second the manager at the Beach club agreed with me on the following points. Not sure if I wa clear originally on these: 1) I was using Disney Mobile Magic App, Disney's official app on Verizon. So for a cast member to acuse us of lying did not sit well. 2) The cast member said if we had showed up at 9, instead of 9:02 we would have been seated and served. For 2 minutes and to say that two minutes made a difference seems unreasonable. 3) The first three times we asked to see a manager we were told no we did not need a manager. The hotel manager at the Beach club was appalled by that part of the story especially. 4) The Cade member in charge at city hall did not seem to take an interest in our story. To Kevins point I am not sure what I expected other than concern from the CM at city hall. I felt the people at the Plaza had been rude and accusatory. Thanks to Mark (podium CM) and Jason (waiter) at Ohana we did feel good again about Disney, but that should not excuse the bad show by the CM's at tne Plaza. Also, when we asked at the Plaza why take an 8:46 reservation, the answer was we didn't the computer system did. Once again a rude remark that nothing had been their fault. Disney is about team play and u help everyone. The CM' s at the Plaza seemed very me oriented. Thanks to Bill (Beach Club), Mark and Jason at Ohana Disney magic was restored. Can not say enough great things about these CM's. For myself, we did move quickly to get the kids fed and got to the Poly about 9:30. Also, I have posted before ad toothdoc, I changed phones and could not remember my password I used. So I got a new board name. Finally, for those who ate attacking, you don't know me, we were not looking for anything and gladly paid for an excellent meal at Ohana. I am also running the Goofy, my first ever half and full marathons simply to raise money for Make A Wish kids to come to Disney. I only agreed to this insanity if my friends would help raise money. So that's me.
I dont want you to think I was attacking you and regardless of your motives for being at the parks...I believe you deserve courteousness, the same as every other guest.

My point was that I'm not sure what else could have been offered. Having worked in food service and retail when I was younger, allowing a guest in after the official closing time leads to the next guest arriving at 9:05pm and asking why you were able to be seated and they aren't. Then there could be a guest at 9:08 asking the same questions.

At some point the decision has to be made that the establishment is closed.

Other than an apology and a list of available options....I'm not sure what else could have been done.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I highlighted the concerns I would definitely have if I was in your shoes here. Since Disney cut back on their staff training (and subsequently focused on hiring more part-time staff than full-time), I have seen a significant decrease in WDW staff's attention to detail, knowledge, and service. It's truly sad if the staff was not briefed on the new app; I'm not sure if this CM just did not pay attention if there was a briefing or if it actually did not happen. Either way, I feel that CMs should know of the various systems being used.

I agree that two minutes seems unreasonable, and I'd be frustrated by that too. On the flipside though, the kitchen could literally have been shutdown exactly at 9. Staff could then be transitioning, cleaning, etc. I can't entirely fault them here.

The CM who refused to get you a manager should be written up. Anytime a customer (or in Disney speak "guest") asks for a supervisor/manager, that request is to be granted. That's basic customer service. I am appalled that you were denied this option.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy your night and trip despite these issues. Thank you for sharing it with us here.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
goofeyken
Mouseketeer

As a restaurant employee I can tell you it is very difficult to get a kitchen going again after the fryers, grills, and oven have been turned off for the night. Usually they start getting cleaned very fast - cooks like to get home as fast as possible.

Sorry about your luck but I'd rather eat at Kona anyday, especially right now.

The cast members could have handled this much better.

goofeyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
LSUDentist
Earning My Ears

To maxiesmom, if u read my first post my kids were stuck on space mountain or we would have been early. Kevin, did not take it as an attack. I agree I also am not sure what I wanted or expected either, however care and concern would have been much better than rudeness. Nikkibelle understands the rudeness combined with refusal to get a manager is what set me off. Kevin, I understand your.concerns with food service, but on a restaurant review if the cast member said they would not get the manager what would have been your response. I have an idea what Pete's would have been.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
maxiesmom

Quote:
To maxiesmom, if u read my first post my kids were stuck on space mountain or we would have been early.
That is not what you said. You said you went off to enjoy the park and come back at 8:45, which was your ADR time.

Again, I think it stinks that they wouldn't seat you. However you should have been to the Plaza by 8:30.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
LSUDentist
Earning My Ears

Let me give u a hint. Do not ride any attraction within 2hours of your ADR or you may be late. My kids went on Space Mountain at 7:45 using Fast Pass. They got off the attraction at 8:57. We then hustled to our reservation. Normally you would be off Space no later than 15-20 minutes and make your ADR with plenty of time. I guess some people just have nothing go wrong during their day in the parks. I am happy for you.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
maxiesmom

Quote:
Let me give u a hint. Do not ride any attraction within 2hours of your ADR or you may be late. My kids went on Space Mountain at 7:45 using Fast Pass. They got off the attraction at 8:57. We then hustled to our reservation. Normally you would be off Space no later than 15-20 minutes and make your ADR with plenty of time. I guess some people just have nothing go wrong during their day in the parks. I am happy for you.
Agreed. You should have had plenty of time. And if you had mentioned any of that to begin with, I wouldn't have made the comments I did. Don't be mad at me for not knowing the details when you didn't bother to share them.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Agreed. You should have had plenty of time. And if you had mentioned any of that to begin with, I wouldn't have made the comments I did. Don't be mad at me for not knowing the details when you didn't bother to share them.
Actually, the OP did mention the ride broke down in his original post and how it caused a delay:

Quote:
So we went to enjoy the park and come back at 8:45. Unfortunately my kids got stuck in Space Mountain when it broke down. So after getting out and running to the Plaza we arrived at 9:02. We were then told the kithen closed promptly at 9 and had been closed for two minutes and we could not be served. The cast member was very kurt when talking to us.

These sorts of things happen unfortunately. Let's all get back to the original conversation at hand.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #30
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Actually, the OP did mention the ride broke down in his original post and how it caused a delay:
They mentioned they tried to make an earlier ADR, and planned to come back at 8:45 for their meal. Nowhere in the first post did they state that they got on Space Mountain at 7:45, the time wasn't mentioned until later on. I wouldn't have made the comments I made about showing up early if they had. They would have been early if Space was to be their last ride before their meal. And unfortunately the OP was offended by those comments.

As I later stated, I agree that if they boarded the ride at 7:45 they should have had plenty of time to make their ADR. And even showing up 2 minutes late they should have been able to seat the OP and their family. There was no offence intended, and I'm sorry it was taken.

I'll go unsubscribe from this thread, to avoid further upset.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 08-18-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: