Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

What's a good/reasonably priced point and shoot?

What's a good/reasonably priced point and shoot? I'm looking to buy one for my brother's bday in September
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Define: "reasonably priced" Reasonably priced means different things to different people.
What are you looking to spend?
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
Define: "reasonably priced" Reasonably priced means different things to different people.
What are you looking to spend?
This is true. Probably no more than $300
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Then you need to decide what class of cameras. Travel zoom cameras are relatively compact, and have highly versatile ~20x zooms: Sony-HX20, Canon SX-260, Panasonic TZ30/ZS20.. They are somewhat the Swiss army knife of cameras, highly versatile, good performance and some have great video, but not necessarily perfect..
There are enthusiast cameras. I think you are close to a Canon s95 price if you keep watching for sales. With a bigger sensor and faster lens it will do much better in low light and may be an ideal choice for a budding photographer.

There are also many tough/waterproof cameras. They lose a bit in zoom and image quality, but they would be the best option for difficult environments.

There are also some bridge /super zoom cameras. These look like mini DSLr's and have even more zoom than travel zooms (24-35x) but do not have interchangeable lenses.

There are also many normal compact cameras but they often do not offer enough zoom or performance to merit using if you already have a smartphone camera.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

You have the budget, figure out the features that you want. There are way too many cameras on the market these days to just toss out recommendations. dpreview.com has some good buying guides that can help you figure out which the top performers are in your price range as well.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Oh wow. So much to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Then you need to decide what class of cameras. Travel zoom cameras are relatively compact, and have highly versatile ~20x zooms: Sony-HX20, Canon SX-260, Panasonic TZ30/ZS20.. They are somewhat the Swiss army knife of cameras, highly versatile, good performance and some have great video, but not necessarily perfect..
There are enthusiast cameras. I think you are close to a Canon s95 price if you keep watching for sales. With a bigger sensor and faster lens it will do much better in low light and may be an ideal choice for a budding photographer.

There are also many tough/waterproof cameras. They lose a bit in zoom and image quality, but they would be the best option for difficult environments.

There are also some bridge /super zoom cameras. These look like mini DSLr's and have even more zoom than travel zooms (24-35x) but do not have interchangeable lenses.

There are also many normal compact cameras but they often do not offer enough zoom or performance to merit using if you already have a smartphone camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
You have the budget, figure out the features that you want. There are way too many cameras on the market these days to just toss out recommendations. dpreview.com has some good buying guides that can help you figure out which the top performers are in your price range as well.
My brother isn't that much of a photographer so something super user friendly is key.
And something compact. able to fit in a pants pocket. That's all I can really think of for now.

Thanks for the help. This is a really good starting point
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the canuck View Post
Oh wow. So much to consider.

My brother isn't that much of a photographer so something super user friendly is key.
And something compact. able to fit in a pants pocket. That's all I can really think of for now.

Thanks for the help. This is a really good starting point
Most of my research has been in the travel zoom category, and as a disclosure, I have the Sony HX-30 (which is a HX-20 with wifi)
For ease of use, I would suggest the HX-20. Many reviews suggest that Sony's Auto modes (there is auto and auto+) and autofocus may be the most accurate. This was important to me because DW just wants a camera she can turn on, zoom and shoot.

But you want pocketable, and the Sony HX-20 may be the most bulky in its category. I like the bulk, it's easier to keep steady in my hands than an iPhone, but it would only fit in some pockets. If pocket ability is important, than Canon may be a better choice. Sony does make a slim 10x zoom camera, the WX150 but it does not have as many manual features as the HX20.

The waterproof/tough cameras are still highly pocketable and may be a great choice if your brother does a lot of outdoor sports.

The Canon s95 is very pocketable and would be the most capable camera, but I get the impression you need to try to maximize its potential..and people that just leave it in auto are more likely to be disapointed.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Also, look at reviews at dpreview.com. Unfortunately most category comparisons show up later in the year.
Cnet.com and Steves-digicams.com spend a little more time talking about non-premium cameras.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Camera shopping - anyone have any of these? Would love your input

whoops - meant to start a post, sorry!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
havoc315
DIS Veteran

What is a higher priority, zoom or low light?

My DW uses the Canon SX (she has the SX210, but you may want the more up to date SX260). It's packed with features, takes good overall shots, its very compact, with a 20X zoom. And it's $289 on Amazon. It is a very versatile camera, that will suit the needs of most people.

Alternatively, if you are looking for higher quality portraits, a better ability to shoot indoors without flash, better low light performance... You can look at the Canon S95 or S100. You don't get the zoom, but you do get a superior lens, which will offer better overall performance. Both cameras will run more in the $300-$350 range.

Another good option around $300 is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V, with a 10X zoom, and tons of features packed in. The lens isn't as good as the Canon S100, and the zoom not as good as the SX, but it is does make up with a lot of useful features. And I believe the Sony shoots a bit faster, and allows for a slower shutter speed.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Most of my research has been in the travel zoom category, and as a disclosure, I have the Sony HX-30 (which is a HX-20 with wifi)
For ease of use, I would suggest the HX-20. Many reviews suggest that Sony's Auto modes (there is auto and auto+) and autofocus may be the most accurate. This was important to me because DW just wants a camera she can turn on, zoom and shoot.

But you want pocketable, and the Sony HX-20 may be the most bulky in its category. I like the bulk, it's easier to keep steady in my hands than an iPhone, but it would only fit in some pockets. If pocket ability is important, than Canon may be a better choice. Sony does make a slim 10x zoom camera, the WX150 but it does not have as many manual features as the HX20.

The waterproof/tough cameras are still highly pocketable and may be a great choice if your brother does a lot of outdoor sports.

The Canon s95 is very pocketable and would be the most capable camera, but I get the impression you need to try to maximize its potential..and people that just leave it in auto are more likely to be disapointed.
Thanks. Ill look into these

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
What is a higher priority, zoom or low light?

My DW uses the Canon SX (she has the SX210, but you may want the more up to date SX260). It's packed with features, takes good overall shots, its very compact, with a 20X zoom. And it's $289 on Amazon. It is a very versatile camera, that will suit the needs of most people.

Alternatively, if you are looking for higher quality portraits, a better ability to shoot indoors without flash, better low light performance... You can look at the Canon S95 or S100. You don't get the zoom, but you do get a superior lens, which will offer better overall performance. Both cameras will run more in the $300-$350 range.

Another good option around $300 is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V, with a 10X zoom, and tons of features packed in. The lens isn't as good as the Canon S100, and the zoom not as good as the SX, but it is does make up with a lot of useful features. And I believe the Sony shoots a bit faster, and allows for a slower shutter speed.
This is very helpful. Ill look at these too

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: