Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Question Going in Sept, 1st WDW trip w/ A55, lens/setting/flash tips please

Okay, I started a thread back in March for lens tips etc. I got a lot of great tips and ideas so thanks to all. I have made more time and logged in a lot more photo time since then and picked up some addl toys since then. I had a recent vacation in Virginia and got some great vacation pic experience, but still nothing compares to taking pics at WDW.

Right now I take very little RAW pics and go mostly jpeg. Once I get around to getting a good post processing program (lightroom, photo shop etc), I will do more RAW. I work to get the best I can out of camera and try to do as little post processing as possible. I have been very pleased with my results. A55 has usable pics up to ISO3200, sometimes up to ISO6400. OKay at ISO12800.

I want to try taking more pics of the night parades (EP and MNSSHP) and ride pics. I will be taking tons of character pics. I have narrowed down what I want to bring to the following:

Lenses:
18-250mm (walk around lens)

35mm f1.8 (indoor ride lens, night parades)

16-50 f 2.8 (character pic lens, may use for indoor rides that aren't too dark, and may use for night parades)

70 -300mm (animal kingdom, safari) May not bring this one, should be able to cover everything I need w/ the other 3 lenses.) the 18-250mm should be enough for the safari.

Flash: Here I am not sure what to bring. Most likely will bring both. I have:

Sony-HVLF20AM-Digital-Flash: This one is very compact and I use this as a walk around external flash. It's folds down on the camera. I use it because I cannot use the onboard flash with a lens hood. The hood casts shadows.

Sony HVL-F58AM High-Power Digital: This is the best of the Sony flashes. I have not used this one too much yet, but I am thinking that this is the flash that I should be using for character pics.

I will be bringing a tripod.

So, based on everyone's WDW experiences, am I close to the right idea with what to use for certain situations? I am still questioning what modes etcs will yield the best results on certain situations.

Any additional tips, comments etc will be appreciated. Thanks!
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
NLD
DIS Veteran

The 18-250 and 70-300 would be too redundant for me to bring both, personally. Pick one and leave the other home.

Does the first flash you listed have the ability to swivel (so you can bounce it)? If not, I'd probably leave that one home too and just bring the other.

And yes, I think you are on the right track in terms of what you'll need for various situations.

There are a number of threads in this forum dealing with tips for specific situations (safari, dark rides, shows, character meets, fireworks). There are some links in the "Welcome to the Photography Board" sticky. Some of the links got messed up in some reorganization, but others are there... and you can try using the search function for the rest.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I'f I had your bag of toys I'd probably bring the 16-50 as my walk around and tuck the 35 in a bag or pocket to have just in case. I'd likely only bring something longer for Animal Kingdom. I'd likely keep that 16-50 on for brighter character meals/meets, no flash. And then pull out the 35 for darker character meals/meets, dark rides and night shots. But that's how I shoot, not how you shoot.

Do you have a comfy strap? That's my first consideration when I'm getting ready to go because if it's not comfortable I'm not going to keep the camera out and use it.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Sounds like you have it all planned ready to go. You have your bag packed ready to go lol? Like NLD said, id go with just one of those bigger lens. In your case id leave the 18-250mm home since you already have 16-50mm and 70-300mm. Ive shot the safari using a 200mm and it left me wanting more. I wanted to get in closer and for me the 200mm wasnt doing it.

Do you have any filters? They come in handy, especially if you want to try some firework shots, you may want to look into an ND filter for that.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Do you have a comfy strap? That's my first consideration when I'm getting ready to go because if it's not comfortable I'm not going to keep the camera out and use it.
I couldnt agree with this more I unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
njtree
Mouseketeer

leave the 18-250mm at home.

As for strap

rapid, carry speed, and custom slr. I have the custom slr and works great.

Flash bring the hvl-58am and leave the 20 at home. unless to want to trigger a off camera flash something I never seen in disney.

tripod is a must for some good photos at night or fire works.

ND filter something I dont have and really haven't looked into them.

Wireless remote or Cord Remote? That is really needed for night time shots.

-Dan
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Wdw

I have a regular neck strap for my Sony. Nothing fancy, but it's comfy. I have been wearing my camera the last few days for 6+ hours at a time, even at it's heaviest, I barely notice it.

The smaller flash can bounce and it has a diffuser on it. It's pretty good, recharges fast, and s pocket size. Comes in handy when I have to through a hood on my lens. Even if I brought both flashes, the small one takes up no room at all.

I was thinking of bringing my polarizing filters, but I barely use them. I mostly use them for when I do landscapes on bright days, but I know that I would forget that they are on when trying to take certain pics at WDW. I think I may leave them home.

I may or may not try FW's pics, all depends if I feel like lugging the tripod to the parks.

Yeah, I am on the fence on which to bring 18-250 or 70-300. Both will most likely serve the same purpose.

What modes to folkd like to use when doing character pics? Ap mode, shutter mode etc?

How about rides?
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: