Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Pentax k-x

I am now the proud ower of a new (used) Pentax k-r. Got a great deal on Ebay, included 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses for under $400. After scouring the book sites I realise that the k-r doesn't have any aftermarket books about it like many other cameras have. I did find an e-book, anyone here familiar with it? I would also be interested in any suggestions for must have or even nice to have accesories.
Its been over 25 years since I did much in the way of photography so I am really starting over and would like any suggestions for general DSLR how-to books that are beneficial.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
beachclub
Mouseketeer

congrats on the purchase, go here for more information as noone here likes pentax....its all the usual here, canon and nikon ..theres all pentax here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
I am now the proud ower of a new (used) Pentax k-r. Got a great deal on Ebay, included 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses for under $400. After scouring the book sites I realise that the k-r doesn't have any aftermarket books about it like many other cameras have. I did find an e-book, anyone here familiar with it? I would also be interested in any suggestions for must have or even nice to have accesories.
Its been over 25 years since I did much in the way of photography so I am really starting over and would like any suggestions for general DSLR how-to books that are beneficial.

Thanks in advance!
beachclub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclub View Post
congrats on the purchase, go here for more information as noone here likes pentax....its all the usual here, canon and nikon ..theres all pentax here:

Say what?!?!?! I have been with this board since practically day one and I use Pentax. Check the history of this board and there are a lot of us Pentaxians. Unfortunately, this board is nothing of the quality that it used to be and many regulars hardly stop by anymore. It is actually very sad for me. Ever heard the saying, "a couple bad apples..."

Anyway, I have never been a big fan of the camera specific books. All DSLRs operate on the same principles. A better thing to do is get a good general book like Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and keep the camera and manual handy while you read it. I think you will learn a lot more that way. Those specific books teach you how to operate a camera while the other way teaches you how to really take pictures with your camera.
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcatfan View Post
Anyway, I have never been a big fan of the camera specific books. All DSLRs operate on the same principles. A better thing to do is get a good general book like Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and keep the camera and manual handy while you read it. I think you will learn a lot more that way. Those specific books teach you how to operate a camera while the other way teaches you how to really take pictures with your camera.
Thanks. I have seen that book mentioned in several place, so I will definately get that one.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would definitely take issue with this statement. I have been a Pentax shooter for many years. I briefly saw this post, but hadn't had the time to respond. Like in the real world, Nikon and Canon do dominate the DSLR market as the big two. I think I can speak for others, when I say that this website is friendly to all who partake no matter what they use. I have never been denigrated for being a Pentax shooter. I highly resent your comment. This website focuses primarily on helping all who ask for help from P & S to pro-level DSLR's of all brands. I will admit that I like my system as do the others who shoot Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, etc., but noone has been nasty or had bad things to say about Pentax. This is a very non-specific brand website!

Now back to the OP's question, but I have one first. Do you have the Kx or Kr? I realize the Kr is an updated version of the Kx, but I was just wondering. I don't know of any camera specific books on the Kx/Kr camera. I would follow ukcatfan's recommendation. I believe he shoots with a Kx. I have three DSLR's that I use, two-K10D's and a K5. I have never shot with the Kx/Kr, but the reputation is that they are excellent lowlight cameras (much better than my K10's) with menu driven options in lieu of the second wheel. Maybe ukcatfan could further elaborate if he wishes. I believe the Kr included things like the viewfinder focus points that were not in the Kx package. The Kr was recently replaced with the K30 in Pentax' lineup. Pentax recently discontinued manufacturing the K5 and is ready to announce its replacement in the next 4-6 weeks around the time of the Photokina show in Germany. Welcome to the Disboards Photography thread.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
Now back to the OP's question, but I have one first. Do you have the Kx or Kr? I realize the Kr is an updated version of the Kx, but I was just wondering. I don't know of any camera specific books on the Kx/Kr camera. I would follow ukcatfan's recommendation. I believe he shoots with a Kx. I have three DSLR's that I use, two-K10D's and a K5. I have never shot with the Kx/Kr, but the reputation is that they are excellent lowlight cameras (much better than my K10's) with menu driven options in lieu of the second wheel. Maybe ukcatfan could further elaborate if he wishes. I believe the Kr included things like the viewfinder focus points that were not in the Kx package. The Kr was recently replaced with the K30 in Pentax' lineup. Pentax recently discontinued manufacturing the K5 and is ready to announce its replacement in the next 4-6 weeks around the time of the Photokina show in Germany. Welcome to the Disboards Photography thread.
I have the Kx. I realise its an older model, but it got great reviews and for the price I paid I decided it would be a good camera to learn with and then upgrade to something more down the road.

I have ordered the book ukcatfan suggested, as well as Understanding Shutterspeed by the same author and Better Photo Basics by Jim Miotke.

Thanks for the responces and I am always open for any suggestions or ideas you all have.

BTW, Gianna'sPapa, your car racing pics are great, I am a fan myself.

Last edited by VikingInMouseEars; 08-16-2012 at 02:18 AM.
VikingInMouseEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
nigelp
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I am also surprised by this statement.

I find that most posters on this board are open to other brands than Canon and Nikon. I have seen posts from Canikon users suggest new users to consider Pentax and Sony cameras.

They usual stock comment on this board when a newbie asks which camera should I buy is "All manufacturers make good cameras - choose the one that fits best in your hand"

The K-x is a very good entry level camera, my wife has one - she never needed to read a book. All information you need can be found on the Internet.
It has great low-light performance and often nails shots that I cannot get on my Pentax K20
nigelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
I have the Kx. I realise its an older model, but it got great reviews and for the price I paid I decided it would be a good camera to learn with and then upgrade to something more down the road.

I have ordered the book ukcatfan suggested, as well as Understanding Shutterspeed by the same author and Better Photo Basics by Jim Miotke.

Thanks for the responces and I am always open for any suggestions or ideas you all have.

BTW, Gianna'sPapa, your car racing pics are great, I am a fan myself.
Thanks for the compliment. That's what I have been doing all week. I photographed the NHRA Junior Drag Challenge this past weekend and I have been looking through the images. Also we are in the middle of assisting in the planning of media center operations for the upcoming first race of the Chase. That's why I didn't have a chance to answer your post. The Kx is a very good entry level camera. In fact, in many reviews they were rated near mid-level. Just because its an older model doesn't mean it stopped making good images. It was the lowlight capabilities of the Kx/Kr sensor that made me jealous and helped push me to upgrade to the K5. The one great thing about the Pentax system is the compatibilty of legacy lenses. With its purchase by Ricoh, there is a great optimism in the future of the brand. Other strong points of the system are the in-camera stabilization and weather-sealing of the camera and the newer lenses. The Kx/Kr are not weathersealed but if you stay with the system your upgrades will be. The K30, the K5 and whatever the K5's replacement will be weathersealed. When I have a weathersealed lens on the K5, I really don't worry about the wet! There were a couple of shots that I wanted to take on our last visit that I didn't get to shoot. One being, sitting in the front seat of a Splash Mountain boat and photographing the water splash over the front. I wouldn't even attempt this with another system. Where the system is weak, is in newer, faster telephoto zoom lenses. I use Sigma for my 2.8's. Their strong point is their prime lenses. If full frame is in your future, then you may want to look to another manufacturer. As much as Pentaxians wish for FF, Pentax has given no indication they are ready to make the commitment. I enjoy shooting Pentax.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
littlekidagain
Mouseketeer

I don't post as much as some here but I am also a Pentaxian.
Another good book is Scott Kelby The Digital Photography Book Vol 1.There a 4 volume but 1 is a great start.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
beachclub
Mouseketeer

but thats my point too...He/she is looking for Pentax information, of which really cant be found here cause all thats here is canon and nikon.
so i was just trying to direct he/she to a greener pasture where its all pentax.

Quote:
Say what?!?!?! I have been with this board since practically day one and I use Pentax. Check the history of this board and there are a lot of us Pentaxians. Unfortunately, this board is nothing of the quality that it used to be and many regulars hardly stop by anymore. It is actually very sad for me. Ever heard the saying, "a couple bad apples..."

beachclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
ukcatfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
but thats my point too...He/she is looking for Pentax information, of which really cant be found here cause all thats here is canon and nikon.
so i was just trying to direct he/she to a greener pasture where its all pentax.
You might have been posting on this particular board some lately, but clearly by the response the Pentaxians are not gone. I review this board at least every other day. I just don't post hardly anymore because there has not been anything worthwhile. I have almost posted in a few of the little bickering threads, but decided against it since some of the "new" regulars seem very bullheaded and stubborn. I would rather say nothing than try to get my point across to someone that is not willing to accept that they might just be wrong. This used to be a great place that was open to logical discussion and open conversation
ukcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You might have been posting on this particular board some lately, but clearly by the response the Pentaxians are not gone. I review this board at least every other day. I just don't post hardly anymore because there has not been anything worthwhile. I have almost posted in a few of the little bickering threads, but decided against it since some of the "new" regulars seem very bullheaded and stubborn. I would rather say nothing than try to get my point across to someone that is not willing to accept that they might just be wrong. This used to be a great place that was open to logical discussion and open conversation
I havent logged in more than twice in the last 3 months. It always seemed to be the same conversations, but if there is some drama now I may log in more often lol!

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
I havent logged in more than twice in the last 3 months. It always seemed to be the same conversations, but if there is some drama now I may log in more often lol!
I've missed your photos around here. It would be nice to see you more often. I don't shoot Canon or Nikon. I shoot Sony, but have seriously been looking at the K30. I use a mirrorless now but if I was to buy a DSLR i would buy the K30. Pentax has the best bang for the buck cameras. I don't worry about what anybody else shoots, i just admire their photos. The camera is just a tool.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

I'll be back for a bit I suppose, now that I dont have any Disney trips planned for the next 6 months I'll need to get my fix somewhere!

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
Glad I could help initiate the drama for you! LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: