Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #1381
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I can't decide - does the striped sleeve look okay or should I change it ot the red Mickey Material?

Untitled by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
I think I would prefer the red Mickey rather than the stripe. I like Diane's suggestion of just a bit of accent on the sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
My estimate for only about 2 or 3 hours left on my adult bowling shirts has landed me 12 hours later with one done and three still left to finish. Only collars and sleeves left, thankfully. No more adult clothes. Only appliqué tees and Polos from here on out! This has turned into such an insane project. Hopefully I'll wrap them up tomorrow and be able to post photos. Unless I'm admitted to a loony bin by then! Only 1 week left! For the rest of tonight my project is this rum drink.
It always takes me longer than I think it will to make anything! I think the rum sounds good! Wonder if it's medicinal for bronchitis???

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins_jazy View Post
Hey ladies.....it's been awhile. My trip is coming up quick so I've got to start sewing again. Igor, my machine, decided to cooperate with me today and let me get some sewing done. This is carla's portrait peasant and the easy fits. This is my youngest, size 6. I tried to make the peasant shirt in the 8 for my 8 year old but it's a bit snug. Guess I need to enlarge that pattern a bit for her. Dunno what I'm gonna do for the 13 y.o.!

Beautiful work and a real cutie for a model!:good vibes

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words for my Jewel costume. I'll probably end up doing another skirt (fuller and shorter) and sending it to her.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #1382
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

I'm doing T shirts for our upcoming trip I want to allign the image across the front chest of the shirt... There was a post once that had the right measurements for doing this doesn anyone know where or what it might be I'm trying to make sure these look just right.

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #1383
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

My 8 year old. I had to enlarge the portrait peasant pattern by an inch but I think it worked.

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #1384
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Thank you to all for your kind comments about Dorrrine and Ginger's Halloween outfits. It felt good to be sewing for them again.

But, the big news is that my son got his slipcover yesterday and he likes it!

I'm wondering how long it will last because it was made from those T-shirt/jersey sheets that are fairly lightweight and mucho stretchy.

Anywho, since a picture is worth 1,000 words (sadly not $1,000) here tis.

Did I mention that the love seat has a pull out bed that would comfortably fit one lumpy mother?
Great job on the slip cover! I can't even get a purchased one to look nice on my couch. I am impressed you made one without the couch there and it looks great!

Quote:
Only 10 days until our trip, I did the online checkin this morning, this is really happening! I did whip up some easy-fit pants (man, those are aptly named, they were super easy, even though I have never made pants before!) to go with my boys' birthday shirts for Chef Mickey birthday breakfast the day we leave Disney. My husband thinks they look like pajamas, which I suppose they sort of do, but I think they will be adorable at breakfast.

So that officially marks the end of the kids' clothing for the trip. Except we were just invited for breakfast at 'Ohana with a friend and got a reservation so I am compelled to find some Hawaiian style fabric and make them some shorts or a Stitch shirt or something. No meal should go un-customized!

I am still chugging away on the adult shirts, I will post when I have something to show. I asked my husband what he would like and he asked for an X-Men polo... sigh. His reasoning is that Disney owns Marvel so it's a Disney property now. This week has been crazy, I have gotten 7 orders for custom shirts in addition to my self-imposed workload. I finally put my shop on hiatus so I don't have a mental breakdown!

10 more days!
I love all your outfits that you have made for your trip. I am getting ready to try the easy fit pants for my son, but will be using them as jammies. I think your boys will have no trouble pulling them off as pants, they can get away with it at their age. The stitch outfit is great too! If you hadn't told us the leaf was put on in the wrong spot, I would have never known, it looks really cute! Good luck on the adult shirts, and have a great time on your trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Here are a few that I did this spring with pockets. Also, Marianne did a tutorial which I think was posted in our last thread.
There were for a big give:

A girls pair of Easy fits. I did pockets and I also did key hole opening and ties on the legs:

Another boy's pair with cargo style pockets:

Here are a bunch that I made my nephew with front pockets:

And one last style of pocket that I did on a pair of Toy Story shorts:

I've dressed up girls easy fits by adding ruffles too:

And contrasting bands:

I hope that wasn't too many pictures. I know that many of you have seen them before but I had lots of fun playing around with dressing up the Easy Fit pattern.
Love, love, love how you changed up the easy fit pattern! Super cute clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
This has been a crazy week. My mother's costume is done. I made fuzzy pom-poms and used velcro on the back as requested and made the neck ruffle separate with velcro closure too. It is a little long but can't fix that now. Plenty of room for thicker clothes underneath for our cold NE halloweens. We had snow last year. A few too many images but I am proud of how nice my rolled hems came out and it all looks so clean. The colors are correct in the 2nd pic. I also made a bag to go with the costume for handing out candy from. I cut everything out on Tuesday, and got it done last night except for the bottom of the bag which I did this morning while my kids were getting ready for the bus.

Now I have a dress to make for my friends daughter and hopefully I can get it all done done today between laundry and dishes. It doesn't have much to it so I think I can do it. I hope the headache I had yesterday doesn't come back.

I really do need something to keep me busy in my brain. My DH is in CA right now getting ready to fly home after a big interview he had yesterday. If he gets the job, then we are moving. We still don't know where the job will be. The two main places are Mountain View, CA or Dallas, TX. The two places couldn't be more different and I don't know anyone in either place. I am torn which place I want the job to be. We could live better in TX but DH's grandmother doesn't live far from Mountain View. He visited with her last night for the first time in 18 years and she wants us out there. CA is just so very expensive to live. Ugh... moving from a town of less than 2,000 in NH mountains to either place will be hard. My brain is on overload.....
Great clown outfit and bag. I love the colors! Clowns are pretty creepy (thanks poltergeist movies), but yours looks really cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
It's interesting that you thought the Easy Fits are too wide. I had the opposite problem in the adult version - DH complained they were too narrow. I had to scrap one pair of Easy Fits and go back to the Simplicity pattern that I had used for the last 10+ years (which is ok as long as he stays the same size). At least the material got repurposed into burpies for a baby shower gift.
Hmmm, I am getting ready to try this pattern as pj's, I am curious to see what DS thinks of the leg size, he likes them comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
So, here's my version of the Jewel costume. I wanted to do it like Andrea's, but it had a mind of it's own. I cut each feather individually and hand sewed everything in place. Then I clipped the sides of each feather to look more "feather-like" Took a while! These pictures are just before I sewed the hood in place. By the time I finished, you couldn't see any white. I can't believe I didn't get a final pic! But my DGD was so busy flying, it was hard to get her to stand still!
Adorable! you can tell by the smile on her face that she loves it. I think it turned out beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I can't decide - does the striped sleeve look okay or should I change it ot the red Mickey Material?
I may be the odd one out here, but I like the striped sleeve, especially if you have the striping somewhere else.

Quote:
Hey ladies.....it's been awhile. My trip is coming up quick so I've got to start sewing again. Igor, my machine, decided to cooperate with me today and let me get some sewing done. This is carla's portrait peasant and the easy fits. This is my youngest, size 6. I tried to make the peasant shirt in the 8 for my 8 year old but it's a bit snug. Guess I need to enlarge that pattern a bit for her. Dunno what I'm gonna do for the 13 y.o.!
I love the outfit. I want to try a peasant top for myself with halloween material, so that I will have a shirt to wear to work on halloween. I am not sure what pattern to use, but yours for your little one turned out really cute.

I have just finished making myself a skirt out of DS old jeans. I think it turned out ok, but I am always afraid to wear things I make out in public unless it is Hallween. On Halloween, I can pass them off as costumes if they look too funny.
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #1385
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
I love the outfit. I want to try a peasant top for myself with halloween material, so that I will have a shirt to wear to work on halloween. I am not sure what pattern to use, but yours for your little one turned out really cute.
I just bought the devon peasant for myself and my oldest. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Epcot shirts. Still have to make the skirts. Those will come later....much later. LOL. Had this fabric in my stash since the last time we went. Had 1/2 a yard for the sleeves....just barely squeaked them out! Definitely not enough for a ruffle so these are ruffle less. My 8 year old thought I was crazy for not putting ruffles on. LOL

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #1386
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

I love the peasant shirts and all the costumes you all have been working on! They look great

Question: How do you organize your scraps??? What do you put them in, how do you store them, etc?
I currently have a couple cloth shopping bags stuffed full but I need a better way!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #1387
Costumesaremylife
If someone's baking. I'm eating.
Jerry O'Connell once said "Hello" to me. I am still recovering from it
I saw Rodney Dangerfield in his underwear

I store my scraps in a clear plastic over the door shoe holder.
Costumesaremylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1388
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Whoo-Hooo!

With less than a week left, I am happy to report I finished all 4 adult bowling shirts. (And may I never make another one again, it was NOT FUN.) Here is a peek at the ones I made for myself and my husband, the top is his with Wall-E and the bottom mine with Eve.

It's hard to see but the dark blue fabric is this: called Mechanical Genius, it's blue with printed circuit boards. The Wall-E fabric was a 4-part panel I got from ebay, I used one for each front piece, and appliqued the other on the back.

I also made two more, one Monsters Inc and one Buzz Lightyear, which I will post later in the week. They are for a friend who subscribes to my Flickr so I don't want to upload them just yet.

There are still a couple things I would like to make for myself, like a couple more embroidered shirts, but if I don't get to them no biggie. Now we are going to spend tomorrow packing since it's my husband's last day off before departure day!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #1389
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's so cute! And the shirt is great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I have to admit I chuckled a little bit when you described your DD's costume, because that's exactly what I (and the rest of the city) wear for 10 days every year during Stampede. If I wore the cowgirl outfit on Halloween, people will just tease me for being a few months too late to the Stampede party. I think I am going to stick with my old standby this year - a Star Trek costume.
That's so funny about dressing like my DD's Halloween costume for Stampede. Living just outside DC we don't get too many cowgirls around town. Star Trek sounds just right for Halloween. My other DD is going as a Flash Dance/80's Girl with a big group of her friends. Her costume is making me feel about a million years old since I remember actually wearing clothes that look like her costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpettie View Post
I'm doing T shirts for our upcoming trip I want to allign the image across the front chest of the shirt... There was a post once that had the right measurements for doing this doesn anyone know where or what it might be I'm trying to make sure these look just right.
I generally make a line vertically down the center of the shirt and then another line horizontally across the shirt at the underarms. Then I use that to kind of guide me as to where to locate my design. Depending on the size of the shirt (baby, child, adult, plus, etc) I adjust my design location up or down from where the lines cross. Does that make sense? You don't want the design down on the belly on a bigger shirt but on a small shirt, the design may take up the entire front. KWIM???

Quote:

My 8 year old. I had to enlarge the portrait peasant pattern by an inch but I think it worked.
That turned out great! Good job enlarging the pattern.

Quote:

Epcot shirts. Still have to make the skirts. Those will come later....much later. LOL. Had this fabric in my stash since the last time we went. Had 1/2 a yard for the sleeves....just barely squeaked them out! Definitely not enough for a ruffle so these are ruffle less. My 8 year old thought I was crazy for not putting ruffles on. LOL
Wow, you've been super busy cranking out that tops today! Love the Nemo fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisNorth View Post
I
Question: How do you organize your scraps??? What do you put them in, how do you store them, etc?
I currently have a couple cloth shopping bags stuffed full but I need a better way!
I have a large plastic basket but a storage tote would work too. I fold the pieces so that they are the size of the fat quarters you can purchase and I stack them in the basket by color. I know some people use over the door shoe hanging bags for their scraps. They organize them in the shoe pockets by color. I use one of those hanging shoe bags for my serger thread cones so I had to use something else for my scraps. My method works great for me.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #1390
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpettie View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but I am quoting it just so others may see it.

Quote:

Great job on the top. I am glad that you can make the pattern work.

Quote:
Hmmm, I am getting ready to try this pattern as pj's, I am curious to see what DS thinks of the leg size, he likes them comfy.

I have just finished making myself a skirt out of DS old jeans. I think it turned out ok, but I am always afraid to wear things I make out in public unless it is Hallween. On Halloween, I can pass them off as costumes if they look too funny.
I found the Easy Fits perfect for me as PJ's, but the legs are quite a bit narrower than the Simplicity pattern I used for years. I think ultimately it may depend on what the wearer is used to having.

I would suggest looking at the Meghan peasant for your Halloween top. I am sure whatever you make looks great and no one will think that they are costumes.

Quote:

Great job on the tops. I hope you can add some ruffles to other clothes you are making to make your 8 year old happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisNorth View Post
I love the peasant shirts and all the costumes you all have been working on! They look great

I sort them into different bags - 1 bag for plain colours, 1 bag for Disney prints, 1 bag for other prints. I just dig through them when I do applique.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #1391
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is a peek at the ones I made for myself and my husband, the top is his with Wall-E and the bottom mine with Eve.

I love your Wall E and Eva shirts. Those turned out great. I love the blue fabric. It fits perfectly with the theme of the shirts. I can't wait to see the other two that you did. I'm so happy for you that you finally finished them.

I forgot to say in my previous post that I have a dress and pinafore almost finished. I am going to try to finish it tomorrow. It is a new pattern that I ordered during the Fairytale Frocks and Lollipops sale. I am very happy with the pattern.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1392
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

I missed the quote but I like the stripes with that fabric and I don't know about doing a whole sleeve like that but a band on the end of it would look amazing.

Quote:
I just bought the devon peasant for myself and my oldest. I'll let you know how it turns out.

cute shirts. I think they look fine without the ruffles. you could always pull a color from the sleeves for ruffles though.

I finished my friend's daughter's dress and It came out great and was super easy. I think I might make a few more and it should be easy to resize since I only have it in a 12. This is what I used for a pattern, it's from 1976... the year I was born.

And this is the dress I made. her mom went out and got fabric without me.

Front

Back

I think it's cute but lots of skin and getting cold to wear it now but maybe with a t-shirt and tights. I also think it will fit her amazing still next summer so it will get lots of wear then. I might make her a second one in a solid color too.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #1393
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Love this! You've really been busy! Fantastic job!

Quote:
Don't be afraid to wear your creations anywhere!! Be proud!

Quote:

Very cute! Great job! (even without the ruffle!)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1394
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I finished my friend's daughter's dress and It came out great and was super easy. I think I might make a few more and it should be easy to resize since I only have it in a 12. This is what I used for a pattern, it's from 1976... the year I was born.

And this is the dress I made. her mom went out and got fabric without me.

Front

Back
That's cute! It will be perfect for summer but you are right that it will probably be a little chilly to wear a backless dress right now. I love that pattern. You did a great job on the dress. I found out that my mom has a drawer of vintage patterns down on her basement. I am going to have to look through it next time I am at her house. I never really thought about sewing from vintage patterns but that looks so cute!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1395
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
With less than a week left, I am happy to report I finished all 4 adult bowling shirts. (And may I never make another one again, it was NOT FUN.) Here is a peek at the ones I made for myself and my husband, the top is his with Wall-E and the bottom mine with Eve.

It's hard to see but the dark blue fabric is this: called Mechanical Genius, it's blue with printed circuit boards. The Wall-E fabric was a 4-part panel I got from ebay, I used one for each front piece, and appliqued the other on the back.

I also made two more, one Monsters Inc and one Buzz Lightyear, which I will post later in the week. They are for a friend who subscribes to my Flickr so I don't want to upload them just yet.

There are still a couple things I would like to make for myself, like a couple more embroidered shirts, but if I don't get to them no biggie. Now we are going to spend tomorrow packing since it's my husband's last day off before departure day!
Opps! I lost your quote earlier, but wanted to say what a great job you did on those shirts!! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy making them, but maybe after a while you'll be up to trying them again. Maybe when you're not on such a time constraint. I know you'll get a lot of comments on them when you wear them. Way to go!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: