Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #1051
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran
 
VBAndrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,500

Thank you all for the compliments on my macaw. This costume was soooo much easier to do than the Sgt Pepper ones I did last year. And ds wants to be a cowboy so that will be easy, though he was a cowboy at age 4 and hated it so I'm trying to get him to do something else. I really want him to be a snake and it would fit with the Amazon theme, but sadly he's not buying it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
My DGD wants to be Jewel and I saw the link you posted earlier, so thought I'd give it a shot. I like yours WAAAAY better than the other one. Would you mind telling me how you did it? I think you said you didn't attach it to the sweatshirt, right? Did you fashion the shape and size of the feathers yourself? I don't have my DGD here to help gauge size etc., but I will be traveling there on Monday, so I guess I will just wait until I get there. I wanted to surprise her with it, but I need to use her for sizing. She's 5. You did an awesome job!!!
I did not attach dd's to her shirt, though I think it would have been easier to. I just didn't want to permanently use the shirt for the costume b/c $ is so tight right now. I basically followed this tutorial because I wanted the feathers on both sides of the wings:


http://www.maidendshade.com/2011/05/...-tutorial.html

Be sure to scroll down on the link b/c the pic at the top is not the one this tutorial depicts -- it's the one she got her idea from. I made hollow sleeve tubes out of red cotton though and wrapped the feathers over them and hand stitched them on. You can do the wings without the feathers wrapped over the arms, but I liked the look I did.

I winged it in drawing my own feathers -- I needed mine more elongated like a real macaw. I also overlapped my feathers off the edge of my base fabric because I liked that look too -- but in hindsight I should have made my base fabric a little smaller as my wings ended up then being a bit too big. I also had to add elastic straps to help hold them because they are heavy. You could use cotton which would be lighter in weight and it would naturally fray like bird feather edges, but I liked the more polished look so I ended up using the felt (and it was on sale!).

For the feet I used plastic canvas and covered them in felt. I sewed them on old sock cuffs b/c I did them while dd was sleeping and wanted to make sure they were OK -- I am going to attach them to her leggings though for Halloween. And the leggings are a pair of red that I cut (they were a 4T so way too short but dd is thin so still fits in them fine) and I attached black bottoms from another pair that she got holes in.

I think I am also going to add more feathers to the headband on streamers down the back of her hair -- I think that will look prettier than coloring her hair.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post
Love, love, love how this turned out Andrea. You are so talented. Got me thinking that may I could try a Rio costume, but that would just be crazy for a novice like me! Nice job!
A novice can pull off a cute bird -- it really wasn't overly difficult at all and you can simplify the wings a bit -- see the tut I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
I finally have something sewing to post! Items have been received so here are a few things I made for a big give.

I made a Buzz bowling shirt for the 4 year old brother.


And a Tink tote bag and matching wallet for mom.
What nice give items! I think the bowling shirts are great and I love the tote and the colors in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Yes they're twins but they're not even 3 yet and they have a fascinating way of including each other in everything. They probably have no idea what Halloween even is since its 4 days before their birthday so effectively they were exactly 1 and 2 the previous years. But when i asked, they always mentioned things that go together. They also speak in plural almost all the time. I rarely hear me, mine, my but we, our, us constantly. "We are hungry." Or we want a snack" or "we are pirates."
It's interesting because we have lots of twin play mates around the same age and they all use mine and my a lot more.
I'll try to get the other kid to model the smee outfit when he feels better. It's incredibly cute.

Here's a link to last years costumes: Mario and luigi. http://goteamwood.com/2011/10/23/boo-at-the-zoo/
Mario and Luigi are adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
WOW Andrea this costume is BEYOND AMAZING!!! you did such a fantastic job with it! Hope she got a good grade on her report!

As for me: still cleaning. BUT I've also added a bit of last minute sewing to my list. My 2nd DD's bday is tomorrow and I decided to make her a birthday outfit. I'm just going to do a simple skirt and then applique the top. Her favorite princess is Mulan, so I think I'm going to add that to the top. Shouldn't take too long (famous last words, right?) but I want her to be able to wear it to church tomorrow. I am a wee bit nervous because this will be my first "face" that I try to do and I'm worried about it looking goofy.

Sunshine
They don't do grades at our school. The only things that get marked are spelling quizzes and they just get the number correct -- no letter grades.

Good luck getting the birthday outfit finished. Faces are definitely harder to hand applique but you do really well with all your appliques that I think you'll do fine. And Happy Birthday to your dd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
That's hilarious. I don't think mine understand about twins yet. It's just so normal for them since nearly all their playmates are twins they just sort of think all kids come in pairs... so far they haven't tried to un-twin themselves, but I am sure that's not too far off!

Mr. Smee is feeling better today, amazing what 24 hours of antibiotics and some advil can do for the mood... So I got them to pose, together even!





Mr. Smee's shirt I made with some super cheap knit fabric I got from fabric.com and it is really rough, but hey, he's a pirate. The shorts and sandals we had, the hat, also cheap knit sewn in a cone and attached a pompom from the craft box. The glasses are from the $1 store, they were those 3x reading magnifier glasses, I popped out the lenses as not to blind my poor child. His outfit total cost was about $7. If it is cool the eve of MNSSHP I will put a long sleeve shirt and navy pants on him, so he's not shivering while Hook is cozy.
OMG!!!! They are soooo cute! I'm sure Hook was way more work, but I think the Smee is my favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
So my new Hobby Lobby opened today. It is a huge store but I thought there would be more fabric. But they did have some pretty fabric though. I hope they run more smoothly though. The poor girl at the table was young and new and having a hard time cutting the fabric. Plus they have to write everything done. I love how Joanne's just scans everything. But overall I am glad they are so close
Our Joann's always writes down the fabric because their scanners NEVER work. I have still never been to a Hobby Lobby
__________________
Andrea

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #1052
princesskayla
***This space reserved for a tag***
 
princesskayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,212

Hello, I have been lurking but not posting. I love everything posted so far. Everytime I look at this board it inspires me.

Anyway - I am looking for a Remy embroidery design. I have looked at my regular haunts and I haven't found one. I thought I had bought one but I can't find it in my files. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. I am going on the Pixar cruise in a week and I know that Remy will be there for pictures. I have a great idea for a custom. Thanks!!!
__________________
Next up: : Disney Wonder - Oct 19, 2013 On Deck: Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon - Disneyland, 2014 *Coast to Coast* Glass Slipper Challenge- Disney World, 2014

First 1/2 Marathon-Disneyland-Sept 2013*Pixar 7 day cruise - Oct 2012*Dream Double Dip - May 2012*24 Hours,4 Parks - Leap Year 2012 -WDW*DL -HoJo: Dec 2011*First Disney Cruise and First Family trip to Disney Land: Nov 2011*Solo trip to DL: Oct 2011*Last trip before the Wild Fontier, Bonnet Creek: May 2011 * Bonnet Creek - Nov 2010 * AKL/WL CL - Sept 2010 * Christmas Present for the family at Bonnet Creek - Dec 14-18, 2009 * Last Minute trip to Bonnet Creek - May 2009 * Suprise trip for Mom's 50th B-Day - Oct 2008 KOTS * WL with Free Dining - Sept 2008 * AWHONN convention + DISNEYLAND - June 2008 * ASMo and WL with Free Dining - Sept 2007 - The beginning of the obsession
princesskayla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #1053
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo
 
miprender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: RI (Home of the Big Blue Bug)
Posts: 4,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Yeah hobby lobby operates in the stick ages. And you really have to watch when stuff is on sale because they manually calculate it. So if they didn't pass 8th grade math you can totally get charged too much. Happens at mine all the time. It by far the closest to my house and the one I least like to visit because it seems so archaic. They do have some Disney fabrics I haven't seen elsewhere though. I got cute Mickey, cars and pooh there.
They did recently release an app for the iPhone though which is essentially the 40% off coupon they ordinarily have on the web anyway. I prefer Joann.

Thanks, I think they're pretty cute too. And they are SO excited to go to disneyworld. They ask every day. And since they can't count past 12 it doesn't mean much that we are 28 days out.
That's funny because the girl was very nervous and kept checking her math and then asking her supervisor. I felt kind of bad for her she looked so nervous. I even mentioned the scanner thing and the lady looked at me funny and said "No we do everything old school here" I know my local quilting shop writes everything down but for some reason it doesn't bother me at that store

Too cute about you boys... we do a count down calendar starting at 100 days but my youngest has a hard time understanding how long that is too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post
I love Halloween! I've made a pact with myself to try really hard to make DD's costume every year as long as it's feasible. This year she wants to be a pink cat and I have the faux fur already. I think I'll try to just find a vest pattern/make one up and add a hood with ears. No zippered jumpsuits over here (I wouldn't want to attempt it)!
I love to sew but I hate making Halloween costumes And I love Halloween too

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
T
I have still never been to a Hobby Lobby
Well now you have a reason to come back to RI And Marianne is looking for someone to drive up with over the Columbus Day weekend
__________________
--- DD10 , DS8 , DS5 , DH, me(Michelle)
FBStore: Mi Creations Trip Years: 1996,1997,2001,2006,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
miprender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #1054
cogero
DIS Veteran
 
cogero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 4,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskayla View Post
Hello, I have been lurking but not posting. I love everything posted so far. Everytime I look at this board it inspires me.

Anyway - I am looking for a Remy embroidery design. I have looked at my regular haunts and I haven't found one. I thought I had bought one but I can't find it in my files. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. I am going on the Pixar cruise in a week and I know that Remy will be there for pictures. I have a great idea for a custom. Thanks!!!
Sweet Peas Place has Remy.
__________________
Chiara
DVC Member since 7/08 Cast Chiara , Gerard , Chiara Michelle (12), Jimmy (6) Sami (6/5/13)

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1055
disneychic2
DIS Veteran
 
disneychic2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,042

First of all, I just sort of started commenting on this thread without really introducing myself. I've been lurking for some time thanks to D. I read her pre-trip report and when she mentioned this thread, I came over and got hooked! I have been sewing since I was a child, but it has been sporadic since my kids are grown. Now I have grandchildren to sew for and I'm back to it and loving it.

What I really love about your thread is how helpful everyone is and how much encouragement and advice is given, whether it's sewing or personal. This thread exudes friendliness, thoughtfulness and just enough orneriness to be simply wonderful. Thanks for letting me hang out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Thank you all for the compliments on my macaw. This costume was soooo much easier to do than the Sgt Pepper ones I did last year. And ds wants to be a cowboy so that will be easy, though he was a cowboy at age 4 and hated it so I'm trying to get him to do something else. I really want him to be a snake and it would fit with the Amazon theme, but sadly he's not buying it.

I did not attach dd's to her shirt, though I think it would have been easier to. I just didn't want to permanently use the shirt for the costume b/c $ is so tight right now. I basically followed this tutorial because I wanted the feathers on both sides of the wings:

http://www.maidendshade.com/2011/05/...-tutorial.html

Be sure to scroll down on the link b/c the pic at the top is not the one this tutorial depicts -- it's the one she got her idea from. I made hollow sleeve tubes out of red cotton though and wrapped the feathers over them and hand stitched them on. You can do the wings without the feathers wrapped over the arms, but I liked the look I did.

I winged it in drawing my own feathers -- I needed mine more elongated like a real macaw. I also overlapped my feathers off the edge of my base fabric because I liked that look too -- but in hindsight I should have made my base fabric a little smaller as my wings ended up then being a bit too big. I also had to add elastic straps to help hold them because they are heavy. You could use cotton which would be lighter in weight and it would naturally fray like bird feather edges, but I liked the more polished look so I ended up using the felt (and it was on sale!).

For the feet I used plastic canvas and covered them in felt. I sewed them on old sock cuffs b/c I did them while dd was sleeping and wanted to make sure they were OK -- I am going to attach them to her leggings though for Halloween. And the leggings are a pair of red that I cut (they were a 4T so way too short but dd is thin so still fits in them fine) and I attached black bottoms from another pair that she got holes in.

I think I am also going to add more feathers to the headband on streamers down the back of her hair -- I think that will look prettier than coloring her hair.

Okay, so that comment bolded had me lol!!

Thanks so much for the explanation on how you achieved such fabulous results. I've got all my materials and am so looking forward to making it. I've never posted a picture, but I'll try to do that when I get it made.

Sorry I don't have the quotes, but:

I love, love love the Captain Hook and Mr. Smee costumes! Great job and smart savings. You gave me the idea to get the hoodie I need at the Good Will.

The Buzz bowling shirt and the bag was fabulous! I love the lining choice on the bag. I know they will be much appreciated.
__________________
disneychic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #1056
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender

That's funny because the girl was very nervous and kept checking her math and then asking her supervisor. I felt kind of bad for her she looked so nervous. I even mentioned the scanner thing and the lady looked at me funny and said "No we do everything old school here" I know my local quilting shop writes everything down but for some reason it doesn't bother me at that store

Too cute about you boys... we do a count down calendar starting at 100 days but my youngest has a hard time understanding how long that is too.

I love to sew but I hate making Halloween costumes And I love Halloween too

Well now you have a reason to come back to RI And Marianne is looking for someone to drive up with over the Columbus Day weekend
My local quilt shop writes it down too. But the ladies who work there are all long-time quilters who retired from other careers and work there for fun (and let's be honest, free fabrics to make "sample" projects) so I feel like they have an idea what they're selling. At hobby lobby who knows. I don't even feel like I could ask a question about what such-n-such I need.

I printed a countdown chain for the boys. Maybe I'll actually assemble it before we go. It's on my epic to-do list. And somehow I totally spaced on the fact we are taking another mini vacation before Disney, going away all weekend to in-laws place in Wisconsin. Tempted to just send my husband with the kids and have myself a real vacation at home in the quiet!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1057
peachygreen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,303

I never understood why Hobby Lobby does everything by hand. I am constantly checking their math and it is never right and frequently in my favor. I don't even know how they manage inventory control that way. There is no way in stores that large they know how much to order and when.


I finished up the littlest one's Minnie Dress last night. She will wear it for CM and maybe another day at the park. It is also the littlest ones halloween costume (I am making one for the 6 year old too but I haven't finished it yet and she won't be wearing it for Halloween). I am in love with this dress. I think it is my favorite of everything I've made so far. I can see me using this pattern a lot in the future.


Untitled by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
__________________
Family - Me Kristie-37, DH James-37, DD1 Megan-7, DD2 Alice-3

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #1058
disneychic2
DIS Veteran
 
disneychic2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I never understood why Hobby Lobby does everything by hand. I am constantly checking their math and it is never right and frequently in my favor. I don't even know how they manage inventory control that way. There is no way in stores that large they know how much to order and when.


I finished up the littlest one's Minnie Dress last night. She will wear it for CM and maybe another day at the park. It is also the littlest ones halloween costume (I am making one for the 6 year old too but I haven't finished it yet and she won't be wearing it for Halloween). I am in love with this dress. I think it is my favorite of everything I've made so far. I can see me using this pattern a lot in the future.


Untitled by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
I love this one too!! Be sure to post it over on our November thread. I know they'll go nuts for it too!
__________________
disneychic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #1059
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer
 
uscgmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 413

I have been wanting to make a bag out of my dh's stained uniform shirt for a while. Last night I finally did it!


I ran out of navy thread so I haven't been able to top stitch it yet. Hopefully I will get that done this week.
__________________
uscgmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #1060
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer
 
uscgmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I finished up the littlest one's Minnie Dress last night. She will wear it for CM and maybe another day at the park. It is also the littlest ones halloween costume (I am making one for the 6 year old too but I haven't finished it yet and she won't be wearing it for Halloween). I am in love with this dress. I think it is my favorite of everything I've made so far. I can see me using this pattern a lot in the future.


Untitled by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
I would wear that dress!!! Love it!
__________________
uscgmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #1061
peachygreen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,303

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I have been wanting to make a bag out of my dh's stained uniform shirt for a while. Last night I finally did it!
That is awesome! I love that you were able to make that out of an old uniform shirt. The pockets and names are perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I love this one too!! Be sure to post it over on our November thread. I know they'll go nuts for it too!
Thanks. I'll post it there after I finsh Megan's. I'll get the girls to model it sometime this week.
__________________
Family - Me Kristie-37, DH James-37, DD1 Megan-7, DD2 Alice-3

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #1062
peachygreen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,303

Alice my 2 year old actually let me take her picture modeling her new dress after I sewed the buttons on it. I almost thought I destroyed the dress as I ripped through the button hole when I opened it up. I was able to fix it (as long as you don't look too close at the button hole).



Alice Models her Minnie Dress by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
__________________
Family - Me Kristie-37, DH James-37, DD1 Megan-7, DD2 Alice-3

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #1063
dianemom2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post


I finished up the littlest one's Minnie Dress last night.


Untitled by peachygreen2010, on Flickr
That's so cute and I love how you centered the polka dots on the waistband. It looks so polished like that! What pattern did you use? It is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I have been wanting to make a bag out of my dh's stained uniform shirt for a while. Last night I finally did it!


I ran out of navy thread so I haven't been able to top stitch it yet. Hopefully I will get that done this week.
Wow, what a great bag! How smart to re-purpose the old shirt into something so useful.

Here is what I worked on this week. It is a dress made out of various scraps that I've wanted to use up. I am quite happy with how it turned out. I used two different methods to make the pointed hem. The top skirt I cut the rectangles, brought the edges together and sewed them to make the points. On the underskirt, I used the rolled hem on the serger because I wanted the little pop of red color on the bottom.




Then I used the halter style Simply Sweet but I shirred the back. I made the straps, which are supposed to tie at the neck, extra long. I put buttonholes in the back after I did the shirring. Then I crisscrossed the straps and put them through the buttonholes. I love how the back turned out!


I was so happy that I used up a whole bunch of fabric pieces I had left from other projects!
__________________
DivineDesignsbyDiane on Etsy.





dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #1064
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!
 
smile5sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
That's hilarious. I don't think mine understand about twins yet. It's just so normal for them since nearly all their playmates are twins they just sort of think all kids come in pairs... so far they haven't tried to un-twin themselves, but I am sure that's not too far off!

Mr. Smee is feeling better today, amazing what 24 hours of antibiotics and some advil can do for the mood... So I got them to pose, together even!



Mr. Smee's shirt I made with some super cheap knit fabric I got from fabric.com and it is really rough, but hey, he's a pirate. The shorts and sandals we had, the hat, also cheap knit sewn in a cone and attached a pompom from the craft box. The glasses are from the $1 store, they were those 3x reading magnifier glasses, I popped out the lenses as not to blind my poor child. His outfit total cost was about $7. If it is cool the eve of MNSSHP I will put a long sleeve shirt and navy pants on him, so he's not shivering while Hook is cozy.
Oh gosh! They are so darn cute together! I LOVE the style of Smee's shirt! In fact, I think it looks even more authentic being a little "off", especially with the collar! GREAT GREAT GREAT JOB!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
So my new Hobby Lobby opened today. It is a huge store but I thought there would be more fabric. But they did have some pretty fabric though. I hope they run more smoothly though. The poor girl at the table was young and new and having a hard time cutting the fabric. Plus they have to write everything done. I love how Joanne's just scans everything. But overall I am glad they are so close
I agree with everyone else that it's so backwards that they still write everything up. And it's worse than Joann's about being hit-or-miss on whether or not they'll even know anything about sewing.

BUT they do have some really pretty/unique fabrics so I can never swear them off entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post
I love Halloween! I've made a pact with myself to try really hard to make DD's costume every year as long as it's feasible. This year she wants to be a pink cat and I have the faux fur already. I think I'll try to just find a vest pattern/make one up and add a hood with ears. No zippered jumpsuits over here (I wouldn't want to attempt it)!
What a great thing to commit to! I can't wait to see the kitty cat you come up with this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Thank you all for the compliments on my macaw. This costume was soooo much easier to do than the Sgt Pepper ones I did last year. And ds wants to be a cowboy so that will be easy, though he was a cowboy at age 4 and hated it so I'm trying to get him to do something else. I really want him to be a snake and it would fit with the Amazon theme, but sadly he's not buying it.


I winged it in drawing my own feathers -- I needed mine more elongated like a real macaw. I also overlapped my feathers off the edge of my base fabric because I liked that look too -- but in hindsight I should have made my base fabric a little smaller as my wings ended up then being a bit too big. I also had to add elastic straps to help hold them because they are heavy. You could use cotton which would be lighter in weight and it would naturally fray like bird feather edges, but I liked the more polished look so I ended up using the felt (and it was on sale!).

For the feet I used plastic canvas and covered them in felt. I sewed them on old sock cuffs b/c I did them while dd was sleeping and wanted to make sure they were OK -- I am going to attach them to her leggings though for Halloween. And the leggings are a pair of red that I cut (they were a 4T so way too short but dd is thin so still fits in them fine) and I attached black bottoms from another pair that she got holes in.

I think I am also going to add more feathers to the headband on streamers down the back of her hair -- I think that will look prettier than coloring her hair.





They don't do grades at our school. The only things that get marked are spelling quizzes and they just get the number correct -- no letter grades.

Good luck getting the birthday outfit finished. Faces are definitely harder to hand applique but you do really well with all your appliques that I think you'll do fine. And Happy Birthday to your dd!
I am still in super AWE of the Macaw costume. I know you keep claiming it "wasn't that hard" but it's just so impressive looking.

I chickened out on Mulan, at least for today. Well, that and I totally just ran out of time. I sewed the skirt up this morning before we left for church and just let her wear the shirt plain. I still want to add Mulan (DD was so happy when she heard that's who's supposed to be on the shirt), but after thinking about it more, I think I'm going to try appliqueing it on felt, that way if I ruin the applique, I don't ruin the shirt totally. And thank you for the birthday wishes. She had a GREAT day!


Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
First of all, I just sort of started commenting on this thread without really introducing myself. I've been lurking for some time thanks to D. I read her pre-trip report and when she mentioned this thread, I came over and got hooked! I have been sewing since I was a child, but it has been sporadic since my kids are grown. Now I have grandchildren to sew for and I'm back to it and loving it.

What I really love about your thread is how helpful everyone is and how much encouragement and advice is given, whether it's sewing or personal. This thread exudes friendliness, thoughtfulness and just enough orneriness to be simply wonderful. Thanks for letting me hang out!

Welcome! Hope you stick around and post any goodies you make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
My local quilt shop writes it down too. But the ladies who work there are all long-time quilters who retired from other careers and work there for fun (and let's be honest, free fabrics to make "sample" projects) so I feel like they have an idea what they're selling. At hobby lobby who knows. I don't even feel like I could ask a question about what such-n-such I need.

I printed a countdown chain for the boys. Maybe I'll actually assemble it before we go. It's on my epic to-do list. And somehow I totally spaced on the fact we are taking another mini vacation before Disney, going away all weekend to in-laws place in Wisconsin. Tempted to just send my husband with the kids and have myself a real vacation at home in the quiet!
HA HA HA about sending your DH with the boys and taking a "real vacation"! I always tease my DH that I don't get vacation. I just work at a different location! HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I never understood why Hobby Lobby does everything by hand. I am constantly checking their math and it is never right and frequently in my favor. I don't even know how they manage inventory control that way. There is no way in stores that large they know how much to order and when.


I finished up the littlest one's Minnie Dress last night. She will wear it for CM and maybe another day at the park. It is also the littlest ones halloween costume (I am making one for the 6 year old too but I haven't finished it yet and she won't be wearing it for Halloween). I am in love with this dress. I think it is my favorite of everything I've made so far. I can see me using this pattern a lot in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Alice my 2 year old actually let me take her picture modeling her new dress after I sewed the buttons on it. I almost thought I destroyed the dress as I ripped through the button hole when I opened it up. I was able to fix it (as long as you don't look too close at the button hole).


I LOVE this dress! It is so cute! You must share the name of the pattern (pretty please!). I think she looks positively adorable in it! WONDERFUL JOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I have been wanting to make a bag out of my dh's stained uniform shirt for a while. Last night I finally did it!


I ran out of navy thread so I haven't been able to top stitch it yet. Hopefully I will get that done this week.
This is great! What about doing the top stitching in RED so it matches the red lining? would add a nice contrasting pop to the rest of the bag and tie it all in together.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

Here is what I worked on this week. It is a dress made out of various scraps that I've wanted to use up. I am quite happy with how it turned out. I used two different methods to make the pointed hem. The top skirt I cut the rectangles, brought the edges together and sewed them to make the points. On the underskirt, I used the rolled hem on the serger because I wanted the little pop of red color on the bottom.



Then I used the halter style Simply Sweet but I shirred the back. I made the straps, which are supposed to tie at the neck, extra long. I put buttonholes in the back after I did the shirring. Then I crisscrossed the straps and put them through the buttonholes. I love how the back turned out!


I was so happy that I used up a whole bunch of fabric pieces I had left from other projects!
Oh Diane, this turned out LOVELY. The halter neckstraps through buttonholes in a shirred back has quickly become one of my favorite styles too. I love that it allows the dress to really grow with the child. I think all the fabrics you used pair wonderfully together and GO YOU for using up all those scraps in your stash!


See my above post to Andrea for why Mulan isn't on the shirt (yet)

DD's birthday outfit. Fabrics and shirt from Walmart (top is in the little girls section and has a really cute bow on it).



Close up so you can see the fabrics better. It was love at first sight when I saw these and as luck would have it, DD's favorite color is purple!



Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #1065
sewmess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1221 View Post

Here is one of the Halloween costumes she made Lilly:

[IMG]



She also made a matching bib for her and it will be what she wear on Halloween.

I am a huge Batman Fan and I absolutely adore this baby costume. I'll bet your mom is having so much fun with this.
__________________

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: