Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #91
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post
Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore. It will be an adjustment but we can do it. My DD's response was "NOOOOOO!" and then when told that DH would be with her, "But he's too prickly!" So as long as he keeps up his shaving we should all be OK. Now I will just have to restrain myself from ordering my PE770 before I even earn the money!
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Oh, that pattern is TDF! I LOVE vintage designs! That makes me think of the girls in the Bobbsey Twins books. I don't have any great suggestions, but I'd probably lean towards a single color calico with a subtle print.

Those are really cute! That chenille looks so cozy after a swim!
Oh, I LOVED the Bobbsey Twins books! That pattern does remind me of them, too!

The robes are made from really cozy bath towels I found on sale at Kmart for about $4 each! Such a steal. They do remind me of chenille, I hadn't thought of that. They are very soft!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #92
Piper
DIS Veteran

Those are the kind of dresses I wore as a child. All girls wore dresses and the dresses had full skirts and most of the ones for girls under 10 had sashes on the back. I was so excited to get my first dress without a sash! You always wore petticoats and often 3 or 4 of them. I was a teenager before I got my first "straight" skirt. You did NOT wear jeans or slacks to school. You would get sent home if you did. It wasn't "ladylike." (I got sick of hearing that phrase--it seemed like anything I wanted to do wasn't "ladylike!"
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #93
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post

Oh my golly I ADORE this pattern! So cute! To me it screams polka dots. Either that or a small pastel floral pattern (thinking yellow with a yellow/white stripe for the bottom.....maybe even a border print)

I'm being such a wuss but this head cold has seriously knocked me out! Tomorrow is DH's bday but the family is celebrating today since he has plans with friends tomorrow. Which means I have to drag my behind into the kitchen and make his cake! better scoot!

Sunshine
I hadn't thought of polka dots before. That could be fun cuz then I could use a solid or striped on the bottom portion. I'll have to measure out the pieces so I know exactly what I am looking for when I'm shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
because I really don't feel like baking a cake right now (and drooling over fabric is more fun....)

what about something like this for a fall dress:

And then do the collar, cuffs, belt and even the chunky border in either a navy or even a solid chocolate color.

I also really like this yellow/white/gray print:

Sunshine
I like both of those. I didn't even see them tonight at Joann's. I need a few 50% coupons to buy the fabric for this... maybe I'll look through my stash and have something that will work but I know I'll only have 2 yards so I'll still have to shop. (I usually by my fabric in 2 yard increments since most of the newer/smaller patterns take that or less.)

Quote:
Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore. It will be an adjustment but we can do it. My DD's response was "NOOOOOO!" and then when told that DH would be with her, "But he's too prickly!" So as long as he keeps up his shaving we should all be OK. Now I will just have to restrain myself from ordering my PE770 before I even earn the money!
Awesome about the job ! A bookstore would be a great job for me but I would spend most of my paycheck there...

Quote:
Oh, that pattern is TDF! I LOVE vintage designs! That makes me think of the girls in the Bobbsey Twins books. I don't have any great suggestions, but I'd probably lean towards a single color calico with a subtle print.

Question - Has anyone run across directions for stitching narrow elastic onto a diaper cover leg rather than make a casing or applying bias tape? I want to alter a pattern to speed up construction.

Regards,
C.
I didn't think of the Bobbsey Twins until you said it. I don't know why, I loved reading all of those books growing up. Maybe that's why I like the dress so much.

Joann's sells an elastic for the leg that wraps over the edges and you just sew that on and doesn't look like you need to cover it at all.

http://www.joann.com/babyville-fold-...prd_11109139a/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Those are the kind of dresses I wore as a child. All girls wore dresses and the dresses had full skirts and most of the ones for girls under 10 had sashes on the back. I was so excited to get my first dress without a sash! You always wore petticoats and often 3 or 4 of them. I was a teenager before I got my first "straight" skirt. You did NOT wear jeans or slacks to school. You would get sent home if you did. It wasn't "ladylike." (I got sick of hearing that phrase--it seemed like anything I wanted to do wasn't "ladylike!"
There are pictures of me in babydoll dresses when I was little in the 70's and then the 80's was, well... the 80's for my ages 4-14.

Did your petticoats tie ? These dresses all call for tied petticoats. I really want to alter it for elastic so I'm going to try that. I'm also going to make multiple layers of petticoat all on one so it is really full.

I have one vintage dress/jumper to make before this one. I'm using vintage fabric for the jumper and new fabric for the top. The top is actually sewn onto the petticoat so it should be interesting. When I get it done, I'll post the pattern and then the finished project. I really have to catalog my patterns with photo's and info.

Thanks for all the suggestions on fabric. Keep it coming !

I love the swim cover ups/robes. Maybe someday I'll do that. I have a sweet bathing suit pattern that I want to do and it could use a matching cover up.

All the embroidery is so cute. A machine for myself is much further down the line.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #94
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The Bobbsey Twins were some of my all time favorite books as a kid and now I'm reading them aloud to my kids. I have always wondered how girls could play with such poofy skirts. Did girls just not climb trees or rollerskate? Or did they do all that in their dresses, Piper?

When I look at historical fashions, I often wish I'd had the chance to live in those eras and enjoy those clothes! I'd love the chance to go back to hoopskirts and corsets, just for a short time.

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #95
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell95 View Post

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!
Love the pool robes. My girls always loved to have pool cover ups when they were little. We had tons of them with different princesses on them that I bought at the Disney store. One year when they were about 2 and 3, I guess the summer stuff didn't sell very well. At the end of the summer the bathing suits, cover ups, flip flops and towels were all on sale for $2.99 each. I bought enough to last the girls until they were about 7 and 8! Which worked out perfectly because the very next year was the year they both said that they didn't want any more stuff with princesses on it.

Quote:
I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc.

Soo....I got the job! It is part time at a local independent bookstore.
I try not to check the Disney fabric on Etsy. I love everything that I see. I have some that I ordered last spring and I haven't used it yet. I keep saving it for something "important". I may never cut into it!

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you love it. I am sure you will have the money saved for the embroidery machine in no time.

Quote:

Question - Has anyone run across directions for stitching narrow elastic onto a diaper cover leg rather than make a casing or applying bias tape? I want to alter a pattern to speed up construction.

Regards,
C.
I love the Bobbsey twins books when I was little. I read a ton of them. My mother was always buying them for me at the used book store or at yard sales. That dress pattern definitely reminds of something they would wear.

I'd love to know if you are able to alter the diaper cover pattern successfully. I have a pattern for a ruffled diaper cover which is so sweet but it is a pain to make because you have to make a casing. I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to make them that way. I know on dresses the I purchase for my girls they had diaper covers made with the narrow elastic exposed and not inside a casing.

BTW- Hancock Fabrics has Simplicity and McCalls patterns on sale for the next couple of days for 99 cents each. I bought 3 McCalls and 3 Simplicity patterns today. I had a couple more that I thought about buying and decided not to and now I wish that I had gotten them. I also found some really cute fabrics on the clearance rack and they were marked 70% and 80% off the tickets price. It is mostly stuff for next spring so you'll have to wait a while to see what I make with it. LOL!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #96
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
I find myself doing a search for Disney Fabric on etsy just to "see what's new" and then you HAVE to buy stuff because you'll never find it again, etc. And THEN, if you're anything like me, you'll get it in fat quarters and then you're too scared to cut into it because it's so rare and amazing!

sshhh don't tell me THAT! I'm gonna keep them uncut for a bit simply because I haven't a clue how to sew! My mom is going to help me with that so at least until I figure out what to make, the fabric is certainly safe and will be collecting in numbers until then...maybe they will MULTIPLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I like both of those. I didn't even see them tonight at Joann's. I need a few 50% coupons to buy the fabric for this... maybe I'll look through my stash and have something that will work but I know I'll only have 2 yards so I'll still have to shop. (I usually by my fabric in 2 yard increments since most of the newer/smaller patterns take that or less.)
Do you have a smartphone....the Joann app has coupons on it that you can use OVER AND OVER (on separate purchases of course) until they expire!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #97
Sandi S
Sew Crazy for Disney!

Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!

Sandi S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #98
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Do you have a smartphone....the Joann app has coupons on it that you can use OVER AND OVER (on separate purchases of course) until they expire!
I do have it. a 40% and a 10% off of all. I'm doing good not buying anything more. I actually went in today and only bought interfacing for my DS and no other fabric. I left after spending only $5.

I do have a bunch of adult vintage patterns just sitting around. They won't fit anyone I know and I do want to make a few. if anyone wants to see them I have pictures online. I have not checked to make sure all the pieces are there yet though.

This is my favorite one, I really want to make this.

I think it is 24 waist and 32 bust.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 08-16-2012 at 09:00 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #99
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Let's see if this works - here's my album of WDW photos from our trip posted to FB (but the link should be good for anyone to view): Disney pics

Let me know if it works!
I can only look at your cover photos. There is another album with 103 pictures but when you click on it, it says there are no pictures in it. I'm thinking you didn't make it public.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #100
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell95 View Post
Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!

I followed an online tutorial. I hope it's ok to post the link here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/medi...dspoolrobe.pdf

I added the pockets by accident. My machine jumped on the first Mack I tried to stitch out, so I covered it with a pocket :good vibes It ended up so cute that I added it to my daughter's robe too.
LOVE the robes. I was looking for something like this for my sons.
Thanks for sharing the link

Quote:
So after someone busted out the idea of buying fabric from Japan on Etsy I of course HAD to check it out. Yeh thanks! I JUST bought a slew of fabric from 2 shops (though one was Taiwan!). Thanks enablers!
That's what we are here for

Quote:
:
Congrats on getting the job.

Quote:
I was never ladylike either but luckily I grew up in a generation were we could wear jeans too school.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #101
BorkBorkBork
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Awesome about the job ! A bookstore would be a great job for me but I would spend most of my paycheck there...
Thanks! I worked in bookstores (children's books are my other weakness, after fabric!) for years ending a few years ago, the discount is very nice but it's hard not spending all your check on books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

I try not to check the Disney fabric on Etsy. I love everything that I see. I have some that I ordered last spring and I haven't used it yet. I keep saving it for something "important". I may never cut into it!

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you love it. I am sure you will have the money saved for the embroidery machine in no time.
I have a project in progress for all these great Japanese prints, a 30 day Disney trip fabric countdown chain, so I "needed" 30 different characters, or at least 30 different fabrics. I have all the links made EXCEPT the ones that require the expensive, rare Japanese fabric--the fussy cutting makes me too nervous.

Quote:
sshhh don't tell me THAT! I'm gonna keep them uncut for a bit simply because I haven't a clue how to sew! My mom is going to help me with that so at least until I figure out what to make, the fabric is certainly safe and will be collecting in numbers until then...maybe they will MULTIPLY
Good luck with that fabric breeding program, let us know how it goes! You might be on to something!

Me (32) DH(30) DD(3)
March 1987 (offsite)**May 2009: ASMu (pregnant with DD)**Sept 2011--free dining at POR!**Planning for Halloween 2013 at AoA/POFQ
BorkBorkBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #102
Sally
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I can only look at your cover photos. There is another album with 103 pictures but when you click on it, it says there are no pictures in it. I'm thinking you didn't make it public.
I didn't even see that much, I don't have a facebook so maybe thats why I didn't see anything.
I can't wait to try and see all the clothes in action though.

'04 PO Riverside, '05 ASMu, '06 AKL, '08 Poly, '14 PoP
/MNWDWmaniac/icon_mickey_halloween.gif[/IMG] I was BOOed by I Believe
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #103
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post

Let me know if it works!
Super pictures! It looks like it was a great vacation!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #104
Piper
DIS Veteran

I wore a size 10 womens all through junior high and high school (and beyond.) I was 32-20-32. I lived in the hoop skirt (for formals) era, but fortunately not corsets. We did wear lots of petticoats and you always wore a slip with a dress...so petticoats went over the slip. A "lady" always wore a girdle, though. You can see by my measurements that I had no physical need for onebut my mother insisted. No "lady" went out without stockings, gloves and a hat. I was born in 1945.

My mother sewed all my clothes, so the petticoats had elastic since she knew my measurements so well. Clothes were starched and ironed--yuck. When I was a baby, my mother made all my underpants with ruffles--she even ironed the ruffles!

Clothes are so much easier to wear now and so much easier to care for. Imagine Houston without air conditioning in lots and lots of layers of clothes. For every day, I would wear a slip, 2 or 3 petticoats, underwear and dress or skirt and blouse (which must be tucked in.) Then I either wore socks or stockings depending on whether it was school or a dress up occasion. If it were dress up--add girdle, gloves and hat to the outfit! Going shopping, going to church, out to eat, etc-- was dress up. School and play were the only casual times.

Oh, and my father was a postman so we were not socialites--just ordinary folk.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #105
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S

Let me know if it works!
Adorable family! Looks like you had fun. Great pictures, what camera do you use? So many cute outfits! Love the brave, princess, mermaid, and Mickey dresses. Love the green goofy shirt, buzz outfit, p&f shirt. Loved your sassy princess and Hawaii dress, and all the emb shirts! Really loved them all! Sooooo cute!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: