Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #751
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorkBorkBork View Post

Well, I lost my job today but gained my PE770. The bookstore that I just got hired at a month ago closed very suddenly this morning so now I am out of a job again. I won't be looking for another one, just will go back to being a SAHM. It'll be nice, but the loss of the bookstore will be felt throughout the community and we especially loved storytime there. My daughter took her 1st steps there!

But, my machine got here today! I think I have it about halfway figured out and have embroidered a name and appliqued Heather's Jack Skellington. I am loving it!
Sorry about your job, but you'll be so busy with your new machine that you'll be glad for the free time.

Quote:
Jealous of all you guys on your trip or getting ready to leave! We went Sept 18-25 last year and I am fondly remembering and planning for next October!

I am loving my machine and stitched out about 7 things last night. I was able to finish this dress for DD for the Nemo 3D movie and HOPEFULLY she will still fit into it next year for our trip. In my experience, the tied straps are better for that than elastic.

It puckered a bit around the applique--does anyone know what I did wrong? I used heavyweight cutaway stabilizer.
Adorable! My dd could wear the dresses with the tie straps for three years, so wise choice.

For cottons I hoop one piece of tear away. I attach the cotton with pins -- I used to hoop it but found I was pulling the cotton too tight doing that and that is what would cause puckers. So I hoop one piece of tear away, spray that with the Dritz spray and neatly lay my cotton on it and pin it. Then I float one pieces of tear away under the hoop (above the throat plate just like you described). I only use cut away for knits. I do find that very thin cottons still pucker. You may have to experiment a little but for me that is the best way to do it and I have the PE 770. I just mailed a surprise gift that I appliqued on cotton so I should be able to post pics of it early next week -- there are no puckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_mommy View Post

s.

Not the best pictures, but just a little of what I have been sewing lately.
Someone's been busy making her little girl happy! Everything looks super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post
and the outfits were a hit!!

Thanks for sharing the photos So glad the outfits went over well.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #752
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's so cute! I don't think I've seen that Nemo fabric before. I hope that the dress still fits for your next trip.
Quote:

Snow White Apron Dress Front

Not finished Sally dress

Front of Belle Apron Dress

Not yet appliqued princess dresses.
The dresses all look great! I love the Snow White dress the best though. It must have been hard to work with all that satin and tulle. Those are difficult fabrics! What are you going to put on the front of the princess dresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkabella627 View Post
Another question- what other patterns on YCMT are simple enough for a beginner?
I agree that the Simple Sweet dress is perfect for a beginner. I've made it about a million times and I don't get tired of it. Plus there is a lot of room on it to do appliques. Don't buy the stripwork jumper pattern too though. They are extremely similar and the Simply Sweet is more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Ugh trying to decide if I wait and buy the PE770 new (but without warranty) (about $850 US with tax and duty) or see if I can talk a seller down in her price for a Janome 350E that is 4 years old and no warranty either since it is used.
She is asking $850 CDN which is probably reasonable for what she paid new.
What to do.... what to do.... I just don't know. I shouldn't do either right now, but I worry if the Janome is the right choice, if I don't try to offer her less and see if she'll go down in price then I'll loose out on it.
Which machine has more features? The biggest feature that seems to be missing on the Brother is the ability to combine and edit some designs on the machine? Does the Janome do that? If it does, that means you can add your own wording to things without using other software.

Quote:

Glad that the outfits were such a hit! I hope you had a great trip! It so much fun to see the kids in the outfits.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #753
tigger_mommy
Bunny slippers should be mandatory in life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
The dresses all look great! I love the Snow White dress the best though. It must have been hard to work with all that satin and tulle. Those are difficult fabrics! What are you going to put on the front of the princess dresses?

I will be putting a large Sleeping Beauty crown on them. My brilliant idea to make outfits for all 4 of my kids before our surprise trip is seeming a little so not brilliant right now.

tigger_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #754
Adi12982
DIS Veteran

Page 51?! What happened to my moving buddy. . . .maybe she's not on -here much anymore either -

Adi12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #755
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Quote:
J

It puckered a bit around the applique--does anyone know what I did wrong? I used heavyweight cutaway stabilizer.
lovely! I love the nemo fabric.is that a new one? It is perfect for a skirt!

Quote:

Snow White Apron Dress Front

Back of Snow White

Not finished Sally dress
All of the dresses were great but this one is my favorite I think! I need to get brave and try sewing with satins....

Quote:

SO cute!!!

Quote:
I love this!! What pattern is this?

i will 3rd the simply sweet...it took me a long time after I bought it to make it and it was so easy! I made DD several versions for our trip..the directions are SUPER clear and the dress is so versatile! I also love Carla Cs Portrait peasant top and dress...it was actually the one i did before the simply sweet...its also pretty easy and lots and lots of options. I was also able to "princessify " both of those patterns really easily !

48 ours and i will be in FL...

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #756
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

The simply sweet is one of my favorite dresses. I have made several variations of it. Its also great because it can be worn as just the jumper when its hot or I can add a short sleeved or long sleeved tee under it if it cools down. It makes it a year round dress that way. You can change up the skirt on it. I like to make gored circle skirts on it, but you can do patchwork skirts, simple rectangle tube skirts, ruffled skirts, stripwork skirts etc. You can change up the straps and use elastic, ties or buttons. You can also have jumper or halter style bodices with it.

Its a toss up with my girls between a simply sweet and a tee-shirt dress as their favorites to wear for every day wear because they are comfy. And they are easy for me to make so that is a plus.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #757
sewmess
DIS Veteran

tigger_mommy: Love the outfits. I think the apron idea is fabulous for long times at the park. I also agree that satin is a pain to work with.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #758
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. I had not heard anything about floating another piece of stabilizer under the hoop--does that mean you just stick it under the hoop without hooping it? Just lay it in there on top of the throat plate (if that's what it's called on embroidery machines)?
Yup, you don't need to hoop it, just lay it down between the hoop and the throat plate (I guess it is called that). This piece doesn't have to be as big as the one you hoop, just a little bigger then design. Just be careful that this piece doesn't get folded over onto itself if you have to take the hoop out and put it back in. I usually add the "floating" piece of stabilizer after all my appliques have been tacked down and cut out, before the satin stitches start.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #759
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Was sewing myself a dress and heard a noise. I broke the tip off the needle and when I took it apart to get it out, realized that I broke my overlock foot too. don't know how that happened but I don't want to wash the dress until I get that done to it. Dang !! I guess I'm too hard on my machine.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #760
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be putting a large Sleeping Beauty crown on them. My brilliant idea to make outfits for all 4 of my kids before our surprise trip is seeming a little so not brilliant right now.
That sounds very cute!

Enabler Alert
I noticed that there is a Brother PE770 that is up for auction on ebay. It is going to close in like an hour. Up for auction for only $400 with no bids on it. Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:B:WNA:US:1123

Seems like a deal to me so I thought I'd post it.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #761
micksmoma
Mouseketeer

Is there a free embroidery software that I can download just to put font together? Thanks in advance.
micksmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #762
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Was sewing myself a dress and heard a noise. I broke the tip off the needle and when I took it apart to get it out, realized that I broke my overlock foot too. don't know how that happened but I don't want to wash the dress until I get that done to it. Dang !! I guess I'm too hard on my machine.
maybe its a NH thing cause I broke my overlock foot on the last dress I made for our trip about 2 weeks ago! I broke the little piece in the center right off I haven't done much sewing since, I guess i was using that foot A LOT. I plan to get a new one when we get home..because I will have winter stuff and holiday gifts to start sewing.

QUESTION: anyone buy their needles in bulk? And where may one do that so they are a bit cheaper than buying packs of 3 or 4 at a time?

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #763
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkNH View Post
maybe its a NH thing cause I broke my overlock foot on the last dress I made for our trip about 2 weeks ago! I broke the little piece in the center right off I haven't done much sewing since, I guess i was using that foot A LOT. I plan to get a new one when we get home..because I will have winter stuff and holiday gifts to start sewing.

QUESTION: anyone buy their needles in bulk? And where may one do that so they are a bit cheaper than buying packs of 3 or 4 at a time?
Can't help with the needles question since I'm new to this, sorry. I broke the same part off. Glad I don't need that foot for my other projects that I'm doing right now. Even so, I am heading to the quilt shop in Claremont tomorrow since he has one to sell me. I better check my bank account because I'm told it has some nice stuff in there.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #764
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never made a Simply Sweet but lots of people here said it is good for beginners. The Stripwork Jumper is my go-to pattern for girls. I would say the patchwork twirl (no pattern needed) is also very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Ugh trying to decide if I wait and buy the PE770 new (but without warranty) (about $850 US with tax and duty) or see if I can talk a seller down in her price for a Janome 350E that is 4 years old and no warranty either since it is used.
She is asking $850 CDN which is probably reasonable for what she paid new.
What to do.... what to do.... I just don't know. I shouldn't do either right now, but I worry if the Janome is the right choice, if I don't try to offer her less and see if she'll go down in price then I'll loose out on it.
What what it's worth - if I were in your shoes I would go for the PE770 unless the seller for the Janome can show you a good maintenance record. I would stay away from a used machine if you can't find out what the seller has done to the machine and/or why she is selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Oh no! I hope you can get a replacement foot without too much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksmoma View Post
Is there a free embroidery software that I can download just to put font together? Thanks in advance.
Stitch Era is available for free. It is not the most intutive software but you could combine fonts with it.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #765
BorkBorkBork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Sorry about your job, but you'll be so busy with your new machine that you'll be glad for the free time.

Adorable! My dd could wear the dresses with the tie straps for three years, so wise choice.

For cottons I hoop one piece of tear away. I attach the cotton with pins -- I used to hoop it but found I was pulling the cotton too tight doing that and that is what would cause puckers. So I hoop one piece of tear away, spray that with the Dritz spray and neatly lay my cotton on it and pin it. Then I float one pieces of tear away under the hoop (above the throat plate just like you described). I only use cut away for knits. I do find that very thin cottons still pucker. You may have to experiment a little but for me that is the best way to do it and I have the PE 770. I just mailed a surprise gift that I appliqued on cotton so I should be able to post pics of it early next week -- there are no puckers.
You're right about the job, the new free time will be great. Thanks about the dress, it's good to hear you've had success with the SS lasting so long! Thank you for all your advice, I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkNH View Post
lovely! I love the nemo fabric.is that a new one? It is perfect for a skirt! 48 ours and i will be in FL...
The Nemo fabric is a sheet or maybe curtains I bought off Ebay. I have a ton of it. You can't really tell but it says "Fish are friends, not food" and also has some Tank Gang guys on it that I didn't use. I found a vintage Little Mermaid sheet at Goodwill today so hopefully I can make a dress for next year with that!

HAVE FUN on your trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Yup, you don't need to hoop it, just lay it down between the hoop and the throat plate (I guess it is called that). This piece doesn't have to be as big as the one you hoop, just a little bigger then design. Just be careful that this piece doesn't get folded over onto itself if you have to take the hoop out and put it back in. I usually add the "floating" piece of stabilizer after all my appliques have been tacked down and cut out, before the satin stitches start.
Thank you!! Adding it to my notes.

Me (32) DH(30) DD(3)
March 1987 (offsite)**May 2009: ASMu (pregnant with DD)**Sept 2011--free dining at POR!**Planning for Halloween 2013 at AoA/POFQ
BorkBorkBork is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: