Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #61
Piper
DIS Veteran

When I make the dress, I just use 2 layers of fabric. Muslin will work fine. I have used one Disney fabric and one "regular" so that it can be turned inside out and worn on non-Disney occasions. (naturally, you have to line the skirt, too!)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #62
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
When I make the dress, I just use 2 layers of fabric. Muslin will work fine. I have used one Disney fabric and one "regular" so that it can be turned inside out and worn on non-Disney occasions. (naturally, you have to line the skirt, too!)
Thanks! I'm doing 2 layers because I'm NOT buying more fabric! I am not worried about wearability outside of Disney occasions, the girls are turning 3 and I think at that age a Minnie mouse dress is appropriate at *every* occasion.

I have boys so this dress thing is uncharted territory for me.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #63
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I'm sorry I can't help with the embroidery machine questions, but I just had to say that I kind of like the sketchy look of the finished project. It would be great for a teen or an adult Stitch fan.

Probably not what you were looking for, but maybe a little bit brighter side to the whole frustrating experience.

Good luck with your future embroideries.
Thank you, I decided that I kinda like it too!

And thank you everyone for your help - I finally did it!!!

And now to share how simple the fix was - I was using the wrong presser foot.

Yes, I can laugh at myself now!!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #64
BorkBorkBork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post

Looks great! That must be a huge relief--at least you know you won't be making that mistake again, and it wasn't a bigger problem with your machine.

I always use all 3 layers with my Simply Sweet and just put scrap fabric between them. I never thought of making it with just the bodice & lining fabrics and skipping the underlining but of course it would make it lighter. Are there any other advantages other than saving time, fabric and making a cooler dress (those are a lot of advantages lol) and how does the finished bodice feel compared to one made with all 3 layers?

Me (32) DH(30) DD(3)
March 1987 (offsite)**May 2009: ASMu (pregnant with DD)**Sept 2011--free dining at POR!**Planning for Halloween 2013 at AoA/POFQ
BorkBorkBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #65
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskayla View Post
I decided had better check in on what my sewing friends have been up to lately and I land on page two (hopefully - if the internet here in Alaska agrees)! Yeah, I have never been this close before. But now I gotta go to the last thread to catch up a little. I will post the first picture before I leave.

For my cruise in May and October:

For 24 hours/leap day at Magic Kingdom - it says 4 parks 24 hours. I also made my shirt.

I am not sure why the first one is so small the second one is so big. Eeks!
Glad you popped in. We hadn't heard from you in a while. Love the bag and outfit. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskayla View Post
I am loving the lauches on facebook. I really need to start putting disnames to real names on facebook. I loved selling my creations but I stopped because I didn't like recreating the same outfit over and over again. The launches would be great because you sell stuff you have already made. Who thought of that that? You are a genius!! What launches are the Diser's members of? I have Magical Dreams and Friends. Is there anymore?
The one that some of us are in is called Main Street Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Recently I completed another set of pillowcases for Give Kids the World. I made only 37 pillowcases this time because the flannel keeps getting smaller and it's harder to get four pillowcases from a yard. I think next go around I may just plan to make three per yard.

Back in the day the flannel was 44-45" wide, last week at Joann I checked and it's down to 41"!!! (The website still lists 43", but when I checked a bolt at the store it's 41".) Surprisingly the price has not gone down to reflect the smaller size!

Those look awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I have a pattern that I want to make but I just can't find the right patter/fabric that I want to use to make it. I would love suggestions ......

Here are the details, it is a 1957 children's pattern in size 6. I may or not make the hat but I will be doing everything else for the dress. I want it to be fun but not over the top, something that can be worn on any day. Something that can be worn to school. Here is the pattern and requirements.....

Thanks for helping !
Cool pattern... no ideas for you except it would look cool as the white Mary Poppins dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts
I've bought alot of fabric from THIS AND THAT FROM JAPAN. She is wonderful to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?
I've only made the dress twice and only used 2 layers.

Quote:

Glad you figured it out.
Lesson 1: when embroidering only use your Embroidery Foot
Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #66
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Quote:
QUESTION: For those who have made the simply sweet dress, I am starting to cut out two to make Minnie dresses for a friend's twins 3rd birthday Minnie party, and it says for the bodice to use 3 fabrics. I have whit muslin I use for my bowling shirts lining, but it says to use gingham or something else I am not familiar with for the underlying. I have green gingham on hand, though not much, should I use 2 layers of white muslin? Or risk the green showing thru pink polka dots, or I have iron-on interfacing, if I do that on both the fashion and lining fabric will that work?
I have made several and have used two different things for the underlining..on lighter fabrics I have some pink striped fabric that I dont like but someone gave me a ton of it...I have used that the most. On one dark purple dress I used a scrap of a print that did not show through. I think any scrap fabric would be fine as long as it did not show through the outside layer.

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #67
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Glad you figured it out.
Lesson 1: when embroidering only use your Embroidery Foot
Who knew that funny looking thing was an embroidery foot?!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #68
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site or place to buy Japanese disney fabric. Also has anyone seen any Jake and neverland pirate themed fabric? Thanks for all your help!! I thought I should direct this question to the experts
I buy on Etsy. I haven't seen Jake fabric yet.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #69
BorkBorkBork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I also have bought from This and That from Japan on Etsy, as well as sellers EmiCraftinJapan and HanamiBoutique there. I've never had a problem and in my experience, Japanese sellers add little "bonuses" in with the package. I've gotten a tiny origami paper crane and an extra scrap of random fabric before and it just adds a little bit of extra special-ness for my daughter and I when I open up those packages. Plus, the stamps are cool!

Me (32) DH(30) DD(3)
March 1987 (offsite)**May 2009: ASMu (pregnant with DD)**Sept 2011--free dining at POR!**Planning for Halloween 2013 at AoA/POFQ
BorkBorkBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #70
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:

YEAH!!! good to know something as simple as the foot makes a difference...it's JUST a foot! WHY?????

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #71
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've never used 3 layers of fabric and I've never had a problem with anything being too thin. I generally use my fashion fabric for the dress and then do the lining with muslin. Most of CarlaC's patterns seem to prefer lots of layers of linings. I also never lined any of my bowling shirts and I've never had a problem with them either.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #72
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I did that on my first design, too! I thought I was the only one. I was in tears and ready to throw the whole thing away. I must have repressed that memory.

campbell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #73
DisneyTeacher01
Mouseketeer

Soooo La dee da I'm sitting over on Thread 28 waiting on people to post. I finally scroll down and see that we moved....

So I finally made it! I guess I needed to get a clue!

~Jennifer

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post51079465

2014~All Star Sports (I'm finally going back!!!)
2010~One Day only
2005~All Star Movies
2004~All Star Movies
2001~WDW College Program
1996~Off Site
DisneyTeacher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #74
campbell95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I've never used 3 layers of fabric and I've never had a problem with anything being too thin. I generally use my fashion fabric for the dress and then do the lining with muslin. Most of CarlaC's patterns seem to prefer lots of layers of linings. I also never lined any of my bowling shirts and I've never had a problem with them either.
Ditto to all of this. I used 3 layers on my first simply sweet, but have not since then. I usually use the skirt fabric to line the top. And I also do not line the bowling shirts. My little guy is a heavy sweater and I think the double layer would be too hot for him. But that's just personal preference. I like the look of the lined shirts, I just think my boy would melt into a puddle

This is a repost of an earlier set - but the dress top is lined with the blue watery-looking fabric.

Edited to add a quick picture of the pool robes I made for the kids. They love them, and they came in so handy walking through the lobby to get to and from the pool!

Last edited by campbell95; 08-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.
campbell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #75
princesskayla
***This space reserved for a tag***

Quote:
Ok, I need help - embroidery with Brother SE400.

After a few hours of nothing working right, I figured out how to get the fabric tight in the hoop, keep the thread from breaking, and actually managed to get a whole design stitched out without breaking a needle.

So what's wrong? Is this just a crappy pattern? I sized it down - did it maybe not size correctly?

Please tell me I can fix this and learn how to use this thing right before I throw it in the pool!!!
I like it like that too - kind of cool! I am glad you figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post
Joann Fabrics is having a sewing machine sale. My hubby is willing to let me spend $400 on a machine. This also includes free shipping.

What do you think of this machine??? Yay or nay???
Please do not get a Singer Futura. I have one and I do not recommend it to anyone. It has given me too many problems. It is very hard to do appliques related to the screw down hoop. Plus I have alot of threading issues and I have been using it for 3 years now. I am going to get rid of it as soon as I get the funds for a good machine. (However, I gotta stop going on cruises for that to happen.)
I got mine from HSN and it came with the software. That would be the only reason to get one - if it comes with the software. It is a little more ex*****ve that way but the font program is worth it! I have used that more than anything.
Check out HSN. They can be a little more expensive but they usually have flex play and free shipping. Plus they have a few brother machines. I had the 4x4 Brother for my first machine and it worked great. The perfect beginning machine, but I grew out of it very fast with that small field. I sold it, but I wished I still had it for smaller projects.

First 1/2 Marathon-Disneyland-Sept 2013*Pixar 7 day cruise - Oct 2012*Dream Double Dip - May 2012*24 Hours,4 Parks - Leap Year 2012 -WDW*DL -HoJo: Dec 2011*First Disney Cruise and First Family trip to Disney Land: Nov 2011*Solo trip to DL: Oct 2011*Last trip before the Wild Fontier, Bonnet Creek: May 2011 * Bonnet Creek - Nov 2010 * AKL/WL CL - Sept 2010 * Christmas Present for the family at Bonnet Creek - Dec 14-18, 2009 * Last Minute trip to Bonnet Creek - May 2009 * Suprise trip for Mom's 50th B-Day - Oct 2008 KOTS * WL with Free Dining - Sept 2008 * AWHONN convention + DISNEYLAND - June 2008 * ASMo and WL with Free Dining - Sept 2007 - The beginning of the obsession
princesskayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: