Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #631
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone!!

We could still use some help with Noah's Big give. We could use things like Family Wish shirts, Jedi Robes for the little boys, a Darth Vader cape for little Emily Elizabeth, a family scrap book etc....come on over and see if there is something you could help with if you'd like!!! The ship date isnt till mid October, so there is plenty of time!!

If you havent joined before, please come on over - you'd be very welcome!!! There is never any pressure, just join in when you can!!!

Thanks Everyone!!! It takes all of us to make this work!!

Wendy

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #632
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy
Hi Everyone!!

We could still use some help with Noah's Big give. We could use things like Family Wish shirts, Jedi Robes for the little boys, a Darth Vader cape for little Emily Elizabeth, a family scrap book etc....come on over and see if there is something you could help with if you'd like!!! The ship date isnt till mid October, so there is plenty of time!!

If you havent joined before, please come on over - you'd be very welcome!!! There is never any pressure, just join in when you can!!!

Thanks Everyone!!! It takes all of us to make this work!!

Wendy
I signed up to do a hoodie for Noah. But I'm not clear on what family wish shirts are. I'm new.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #633
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I signed up to do a hoodie for Noah. But I'm not clear on what family wish shirts are. I'm new.
Thanks so much for doing the hoodie for Noah!!!

The family Wish shirts are just matching shirts for the family - iron on's or embroidered - that say something like Noah's Wish Trip - and have some characters on it - there are some designs on the thread that you could use, or the creative disigns thread is super about making designs!!!

Thanks for asking and joining us!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #634
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6 View Post
I made this one for my daughter three years ago for Halloween. Here she's wearing it for Pirate Day at Kindergarten. I found the patterns on ycmt.com. The top is the corset top with shirred back and the skirt is the layered tulle twirl skirt. The top did actually stay up better than this, she kept pulling it down. It would have been really cute with a peasant top but I was too lazy to make one and just had her wear a long-sleeved t-shirt.

This is a very cute pirate outfit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?
I would suggest serging the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan10310 View Post
New here. Love seeing all of the creations, I am very new to sewing, but gaining inspiration after reading your thread.

Right now I am working on autograph quilts for my three kids (ds6, dd3, dd1) from our February trip. Coming together nicely considering I had never made anything with a sewing machine! My mom has been giving advice and encouragement. Will post pics when I have a finished product.
Welcome! I can't wait to see pictures of your quilts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I finally got a chance to take my PE770 into the local Brother service place today, (which hasn't been easy since I didn't care to take my twin toddlers with me for that particular errand.)
The crotchety old guy who owns the shop for longer than I have been alive was able to show me how to clear out what was errant thread in the path of the thread, which explains the intermittent issue with it stopping. Basically there was a little bit of thread that was sometimes causing the sensors to think there was a tension issue. So...
While I was there he pretty much all but said how crappy the PE770 was a terrible machine and tried about a half-dozen ways to convince me I should just return it and buy one from him... Also tried to convince me that for ONLY $1000 he would sell me a used/refurb older machine that only uses floppy disks (of which I don't have a computer that can read/write and haven't since 1998.) Which, BTW, I am sure is an awesome machine, and it DID have a bigger hoop, but I was a little put off by the suggestion that my machine sucks (I don't think it does, I am pretty happy.) and the hard sell. Unfortunately it is the closest Brother dealer/service place, so I am hoping I don't need to visit often, but it is not implausible. Thankfully he didn't charge me for the service, but he did manage to drop the screw into the bottom of the machine, so I am gonna want to fish that out before I start anything, since he says it shouldn't bother anything, but somehow the idea of a random screw floating around under my bobbin makes me sort of nervous. sigh.
fingers crossed that the removal of that thread will make it all better.
I hope your machine will work better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Well, after fixing my machine, or getting to work again, I proceeded to pin the sleeves into the dress and sew each of them in. I wanted to check how it looked so far before I overlocked the seams and so I turned the top half right side out. I had sewed them both on inside out ! UGH !!

So I took took my seam ripper and carefully ripped out both of them. I took a 30 minute breathe and tried again on one sleeve. Turned it right side and it looked okay so I took another 30 minute breathe.

I finished it except for some taking in around the collar. I need a friend that sews to help me with that since the biggest gap is at the back. Here is a picture of it so far with the wig I got.

I made it shorter so I wouldn't have problems getting on and off rides and wouldn't step on it. I'll post pictures of the arrow bag once I have all the sewing done.
The dress looks great (even though it caused you quite a bit of troubles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
So, as I mentioned above, after spending most of this year sewing things to sell, I'm finally going to launch my little business next Saturday at a sale. I'm a nervous wreck that nothing will sell, that I'll freeze up making change, that xyz will go wrong - mostly silly fears. I've been saving my pennies for an embroidery machine, so this is my big push to put my fund over the top. I hope! Please say a prayer for me this week!

Regards,
C.
I am sure you will do great at the sale!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #635
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Well, after fixing my machine, or getting to work again, I proceeded to pin the sleeves into the dress and sew each of them in. I wanted to check how it looked so far before I overlocked the seams and so I turned the top half right side out. I had sewed them both on inside out ! UGH !!

The dress looks great! I hate when I do something like sewing on the sleeves inside out. I despise picking out stitches but we all end up having to do it.

Quote:
I am drooling on that machine, but for that price I would buy a used multi-needle before I'd spend $5000 on a single needle machine! Actually, that is my long-term plan.

(Oops, I goofed up the photo link.) How pretty! Is is for your niece or a Big

That was here, for me. Shirring does sound like a good idea. I kind of shortened the process with the pattern we were talking about.

So, as I mentioned above, after spending most of this year sewing things to sell, I'm finally going to launch my little business next Saturday at a sale. I'm a nervous wreck that nothing will sell, that I'll freeze up making change, that xyz will go wrong - mostly silly fears. I've been saving my pennies for an embroidery machine, so this is my big push to put my fund over the top. I hope! Please say a prayer for me this week!

Regards,
C.
I agree that the machine seems to carry a very high price. That's why I am hoping to see it in person and figure out why they are getting so much $$$ for an embroidery only machine. You can definitely find some good deals on used 6 needle machines but I've never really seen one up close. They seem quite complicated.

The Rapunzel dress is for my niece. She told me that her favorite princess is Rapunzel so I made it as one of her holiday gifts. I have the material for a Belle dress too but we'll see if I get to that.

I really liked the idea of using the shirring on the diaper covers. It seems like it would work pretty well. The pattern that they had posted was Butterick 3405 which seems very cute. I might pick it up the next time they have Butterick patterns on sale for 99 cents. I can't wait to see how you modified the diaper cover pattern.

I hope that you sell a ton of stuff next weekend. You've been busy preparing for so long. I am sure you won't forget to make change and that most everything will go very smoothly. Good luck!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #636
OhStuffandFluff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6 View Post

I love this outfit and considered purchasing this pattern as well!! My daughter wants to be a pirate princess for Halloween so this would be perfect! Did you make the pirate hat as well? If you did how did you do it? Thanks for your help!!

DH Myself DS DD
OhStuffandFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #637
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Thanks so much for doing the hoodie for Noah!!!

The family Wish shirts are just matching shirts for the family - iron on's or embroidered - that say something like Noah's Wish Trip - and have some characters on it - there are some designs on the thread that you could use, or the creative disigns thread is super about making designs!!!

Thanks for asking and joining us!!!
Thanks for clarifying. I will just stick to the hoodie this time around, since we have our own Disney adventure in October and I still have LOTS of stuff I need/want to make for my family and our guests. Maybe next time after our trip is a fond memory I can have a little more time to do more. I think it is a great thing to do for these families.

I was thinking though about the jedi robes, not that I am volunterring or anything, but maybe a brown hooded towel with a "sash" would work? That way they can use them again at home? I made hooded towels a few years ago for my kids they were super easy. I used THIS TUTORIAL which is very basic sewing.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #638
OhStuffandFluff
Mouseketeer

My kiddos are HUGE fans of Phineas and Ferb so of course there has to be a custom outfit designated to this awesome show!! Here is my DD's Perry dress! When looking for the perry fabric, all I could find was the flannel kind. So I decided to make the dress from flannels and it turned out better than I thought! DD loves how soft it is inside and out
close up of hand applique

DH Myself DS DD
OhStuffandFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #639
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff
My kiddos are HUGE fans of Phineas and Ferb so of course there has to be a custom outfit designated to this awesome show!! Here is my DD's Perry dress! When looking for the perry fabric, all I could find was the flannel kind. So I decided to make the dress from flannels and it turned out better than I thought! DD loves how soft it is inside and out
Love. My boys are big on p&f too. I found perry cotton fabric at Joann. I bought 2 yards without any real plan for it. Maybe bowling shirts someday. I wouldn't think of using flannel as anything but pjs. Maybe I should reconsider? Well done, very cute.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #640
WyomingMomof6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff View Post
I love this outfit and considered purchasing this pattern as well!! My daughter wants to be a pirate princess for Halloween so this would be perfect! Did you make the pirate hat as well? If you did how did you do it? Thanks for your help!!
No, she made the hook and the pirate hat at school. It was just made out of construction paper. It didn't last too long, lol. I don't know of any patterns for a pirate hat but maybe someone else has!

Thanks everyone for the comments about my little pirate girl!

Etsy Store- AlexaBrookeFashions
WyomingMomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #641
kgleine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?
http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques...a-circle-skirt such a good easy tutorial for it!!!!!

Quote:
J

Everything is simply amazing! I've been to some cons over the years and your work is on par with the master seamstresses I've run across! Take a bow! And, please continue to join us here!

Regards,
C.
thank you!!! i have worked very hard teaching myself to do this that comment just blows me away! i have been to one con ever this past june and the master seamstress stuff seemed so elite!
kgleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #642
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6

No, she made the hook and the pirate hat at school. It was just made out of construction paper. It didn't last too long, lol. I don't know of any patterns for a pirate hat but maybe someone else has!

Thanks everyone for the comments about my little pirate girl!
I don't know about making one, though I did find a couple tutorials in pinterest using felt. I bought (gasp!) two for my boys for the pirates and pals fireworks cruise from amazon. They were $10-11 each but seem well-made, not felt, so I'm hoping they can have life beyond that one event. I'm pretty sure they were called "captain hook hat" even though they don't look at all like hooks hat. Much easier than making them I think.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #643
billwendy
DIS Veteran

I just noticed we could really use some ID tags for Noah's big give to hang on the kids strollers. Piper volunteered to do one for big brother Alex's wheelchair already that is going to be COOL!!! But, it'd be nice for a tag for the strollers (a pink one and a green one) too!!!

Thanks for thinking about it!!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #644
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff View Post
Your daughter and her dress are very cute.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #645
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I finally have something Disney to post!!

I made these for a little girl who's going to the world for the very first time. They are leaving tomorrow night (she's a little under the weather today, so we're hoping she's feeling better tomorrow)

Basic applique Tshirt and the winging it skort. (I used Simplicity 2684, shortened the capris, added a waistband with drawstring)

I upcycled the bag from a thrift store tshirt. I've done this a few times, but this is the first time using ribbon as binding.

The pocket (which is a little lopsided) is made from a sleeve.
Okay - I think I've got this picture thing right this time...I hit something I shouldn't have at flickr - Sorry.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: