Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #3436
nannye
DIS Veteran

I'm looking for an I'm going to Disney world design anyone know where I can find one? I thought heathe sue had one buti can't find any
Thanks

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #3437
nannye
DIS Veteran

I know some people do their appliquees on felt and was wondering why and how. I'd also love to do some dangly appliquees from a dress and I'm thinking this is how?

Thanks

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #3438
cogero
DIS Veteran

Felt is a touchy topic in the custom world. When I use felt I use it to test a design I have never done or for my boy with sensory issues. Also if it is going to make an appliqué pop. The secret to felt is to make sure it is trimmed properly.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #3439
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Thanks! (Even for the enabler, Lois)
LOL, Any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Felt is a touchy topic in the custom world. When I use felt I use it to test a design I have never done or for my boy with sensory issues. Also if it is going to make an appliqué pop. The secret to felt is to make sure it is trimmed properly.
How are you feeling these days???
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #3440
cogero
DIS Veteran

Pretty good, I have between 8-10 weeks left if not less. I am doing my 3 hour glucose test right now. Yesterday I was having a rough day but today is much better.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #3441
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I know some people do their appliquees on felt and was wondering why and how. I'd also love to do some dangly appliquees from a dress and I'm thinking this is how?
Quote:

I agree with cogero - it is definitely a touchy topic...it seems to be one of those looks that people either really like or really dislike.

I did these 2 shirts last week partially because I've never done one that way and wanted to experiment. I really liked the idea that the wrong side of the sewing wouldn't be directly against their skin when the shirts were worn.

I did like the way they turned out but it was white felt on a white shirt so there wasn't the 'pop' affect that cogero mentioned.

As for your thought of dangly appliques, I would do them in the hoop like clippies (with felt) and insert add ribbon in the appropriate spot (presumably between the fabric front side and the felt back side).

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #3442
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post

I agree with cogero - it is definitely a touchy topic...it seems to be one of those looks that people either really like or really dislike.

I did these 2 shirts last week partially because I've never done one that way and wanted to experiment. I really liked the idea that the wrong side of the sewing wouldn't be directly against their skin when the shirts were worn.

I did like the way they turned out but it was white felt on a white shirt so there wasn't the 'pop' affect that cogero mentioned.

As for your thought of dangly appliques, I would do them in the hoop like clippies (with felt) and insert add ribbon in the appropriate spot (presumably between the fabric front side and the felt back side).

Judy
I have seen some of the launches where the appliqués are on felt and I wondered about that too. I sort of understand after trying to put an appliqué on a skirt panel of a grace dress this week and it wasnt as taut as it needed to be and by the time it was satin stitching it was all misaligned.
I did out Minnie safari on felt to cover up a botched one of the same when I made my own safari shirt last year. I ruined 2 shirts making it and I was able to salvage the one. It's super thick though with two appliqués and the felt so I would never sell it like that!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3443
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Subbing

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14 and SSR'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #3444
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Subbing

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14 and SSR'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #3445
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
I see that you got some answers about your felt question. I am one of those people who is not crazy about doing appliques on felt. I don't feel like i ever get them trimmed nicely enough.

Quote:
Pretty good, I have between 8-10 weeks left if not less. I am doing my 3 hour glucose test right now. Yesterday I was having a rough day but today is much better.
Sorry that you had a rough day yesterday. I hope that you are feeling better now. I didn't realize that you were due in just a couple of months. That's so exciting! Have you sewn anything for the baby yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBell08 View Post
Subbing
Welcome!

Well, I have not done too much sewing in the past few weeks. DH wasn't feeling good for about a week and then we had company for a week so things were a little bit crazy. Add in spring break and that completely took away my sewing time.

I did make some of those cooling neck wraps for our trip to Disney in June. Thanks to Jen for suggesting them!
Here are the ones I made for my in-laws. I know they wouldn't wear Disney ones. I made them with snowmen on them just to be funny.

Then here are the ones I made for my family:

The kids are fighting over who gets the 7 Dwarfs one. If I had know that they would both want those, I would have made 2 of them. I might still go back and make another one since they were a cinch to make. I think these would be a perfect addition to our list of things we regularly make for Big Gives. Plus even a new seamstress could make them as they are really just a long tube that has been divided and filled with the beads.

Then our FB group had another launch on Tuesday night. Here are pictures of the things I had in the launch:

I was thrilled that 2 out of my 3 items sold. The princess dress, which I thought would do well, was the one that didn't get sold. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. LOL!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #3446
nannye
DIS Veteran

I am doing a safari Minnie shirt, I wanted to do a ribbon bow for it. I was wondering what to do for te edges of the ribbon, I have heard I née to heat seal them, how should I do that?

Also bac to te question of te felt what about te "dangles"as I called them I am thinking of the Ollie girls dresses tha I've seen recently with appliquees that dangle from ribbon from the waistband. If I did a regular one sided appliquee what would I do to e back so it has a clean finish? I could glue felt to he back or plain material and then cut around it for a cleaner r finish or if it is a symmetrical design, do 2 and glue them together. If it isn't a symmetrical design can. Invert the design?

Thanks
Erin

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #3447
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

Then our FB group had another launch on Tuesday night. Here are pictures of the things I had in the launch:

I was thrilled that 2 out of my 3 items sold. The princess dress, which I thought would do well, was the one that didn't get sold. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. LOL!
I glanced through the launch, but I didn't see the princess one, so maybe not enough people saw it. The Bugs Life one is super cute!!

Quote:
I am doing a safari Minnie shirt, I wanted to do a ribbon bow for it. I was wondering what to do for te edges of the ribbon, I have heard I née to heat seal them, how should I do that?

Also bac to te question of te felt what about te "dangles"as I called them I am thinking of the Ollie girls dresses tha I've seen recently with appliquees that dangle from ribbon from the waistband. If I did a regular one sided appliquee what would I do to e back so it has a clean finish? I could glue felt to he back or plain material and then cut around it for a cleaner r finish or if it is a symmetrical design, do 2 and glue them together. If it isn't a symmetrical design can. Invert the design?

Thanks
Erin
I haven't done any embroidery on felt, but I do make a lot of 3-D things so I might have an idea on how to cover the back stitching. stitch your design, and then sew another piece of fabric to the front, "good side" to "good side", sewing along the perimeter of the design, leaving an inch opening. Trim a scant 1/4 inch (1 cm?) from your sewing line and turn it right side out through the opening and slip stitch the opening. I'm just throwing this out there, and now I've presented it, I'm going to have to try it to see how badly it would warp the stitching, but it might work.

Really, I'd probably investigate how HeatherSue's clippies construction works and do that. I'm notorious for making things harder than they need to be.

My PE500 was at the house when I got home and after walking the dog I got to open it up and start playing. I have a mug rug for a swap at another sight that I'm working on so it was the test. I need to actually work on sizing, but I wrote a whole phrase and it looks great!! I need to do more!!!

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #3448
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
Erin
I think that some people leave the back blank but i like it better when the design is inverted and sewn onto the back.

I missed the part about sealing the ends of the ribbon. I do what other people do and just hold the end near a lit lighter. You don't have to even put the ribbon into the flame. It will immediately melt a bit and seal the ends. Just pull it away from the flame the second it starts to melt. Always works great for me.

Last edited by dianemom2; 04-11-2013 at 04:48 PM.
dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #3449
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks
Erin
I have used fray check on ribbon to seal the ends, and it works well. I make little ribbon hair clippies and korkers for DD and use it all the time. Much less scary than heat sealing too - I would be afraid of burning too much off the ribbon or burning myself or something else, lol.

TBD ~ August 2015
CSR October 2013, POR October 2013

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #3450
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks
Erin
It is very easy to heat seal ribbon. You just need a lighter or a candle. After you cut the ribbon to the length you want it, place the cut edge near the flame and wave the end of the ribbon close to the edge of the flame of either the lighter or the candle. You will see the end actually melt. You don't want to let it stay in one place near the flame- you will burn the ribbon so make sure it is moving while near the flame.

PRACTICE a few times with the ribbon you will be using so you can get the "feel" of how close you need to get to the flame and how long you need to keep it by the flame.

Good Luck!
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: