Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #3061
Courtney829
Earning My Ears
 
Courtney829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
I think what Cheer25mom suggested would be a good idea - that material they make signs out of would be light and it would probably be waterproof. I know we have made them make signs for a golf tournament with it - they might be able to cut it in circles for you. It would be light weight.

I know that the spoke guards my husband has had for his chair in the past were made of a light weight plastic with velcro to secure them. He has also used lightweight aluminum ones. You could probably order a set from TI to go with his wheels - but that might be expensive.


You could cut out characters on vinyl to stick on there - mickey heads would be easy. I know there is printable vinyl out there that you could maybe print other characters on but I dont know if it would stand up to the rain. Maybe thouse decals you can buy at target to decorate walls.

Just some thoughts
Kelly
You could cut characters out of vinyl to put on there like Kelly suggested. You'd want to use Oracel 651 as that's designed to be used outdoors and will last through rain. You can also layer the vinyl so that you can make actual Mickey faces for instance. I haven't had much luck with printable vinyls standing up to wear but other people may have had a better experience with it. If you check etsy, you may be able to find someone selling vinyl cutouts that you could use.
__________________
Courtney829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #3062
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
AHHHHHH I'm so stupid! I forgot the Joanns sale ended today I had over a hundred dollars of savings in my online shopping cart and I didn't order yet. I literally realized at 12:01.

So upset Grrrrr. I hope there is another sale really soon!
I do stuff like that ALL. THE. TIME. So frustrating. Joann does have sales all the time in the store, I am not sure as much online. But I know I have a hard time using coupons there often since you can only use them on non-sale stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Looking for some advice! I am making a dress for Disney for a friends daughter fr her first trip to disney. I'm going to do a Simply Sweet with black and red polka dot alternating panels with white and I'll do appliquees on the white panels. My problem is I haven't got a clue which appliquees to do! There are so many out there. Anyone have any suggestions of ones you would do for a first disney trip dress? I think on the bodice I'll be doing a minnie head with her name on it.

Thanks TIA
Erin
I was going to suggest doing the basic disney ensemble: Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, Daisy. Maybe rather than Minnie on the bodice do something more Disney world-ish, to tie them all together? Castle/Fireworks or the 4-parks one from Heather Sue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
My weekly catch up. . Seems like Sunday evenings are really the only time I have to sit down with the Dis anymore.

So, all of the sudden, I'm super busy with orders for those charm towels! They are a hit apparently. I also decided to try one more craft show in May with the nursing covers and diapers covers I made last year plus any embroidered things I can get made between now and then. I'm planning a bunch of small, quick things like superhero masks and small key chains and zip wallets.

The other exciting thing is that the lady who told me about the craft show is a wonderful photographer who's done photos of my kids a couple times now. She found out I had ruffled diaper covers and all of the sudden, I'm trading her several pairs of them for a photo shoot tomorrow! She's also going to recommend me to her clients to get custom shirts, and pass out my business cards! Yay! (I hope this is ok to talk about!)

So I spent yesterday embellishing some diaper covers for her, both my handmade ones, and some pre made ones, too. Here's what I made:



The first three are for the photographer (plus some un-embellished ones) and the last one is for a new baby cousin born this week. I also sent the cousin a girl version of the 12 month charms. (I'd have to go down two flights of stairs and fire up dh's computer to move a pic of that to photobucket, and I'm too tired tonight. Maybe tomorrow. )

I really liked embroidering on the ruffles of my covers! It was super easy and I like the effect. I may have to try it out on a dress sometime. The pre made covers, not as much fun. They pucker super easily because they are two layers of fabric. I need to experiment on those a bit more, I think!

I hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.
Glad to hear you are getting orders. Those charm towels are really cute.
I never used diaper covers, I have boys and we used cloth diapers which were ridiculously cute on their own, so it is not something that would have ever occurred to me. But I can see how a photographer would love them. Seeing adorable babies in paper diapers in photos is always weird to me, maybe because I think paper diapers are weird, or maybe because they seem so temporary looking in a photo that lasts forever. All this to say I think they are adorable and I will probably steal your idea to share with my photographer friend.

I took a little break from my own orders this weekend and did a couple of Easter gifts for my kids, I got these blank hoodies last fall and kept meaning to do something with them. When they put on some older hoodies this week they looked like doll clothes since they were getting so small, so I made them new Disney ones.





And the beach towel I made for Angel's Big give. I used Lynnie Pinnie's Walt embroidery font and re-hooped for each letter and for Mickey. I love it and it looks like she did to from her PTR.



Jen
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #3063
dianemom2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I am totally self taught. Some day I will tackle hand appliqué most likely not until after this baby is born though.
Hooray for being self taught. Learning hand applique is on my bucket list too. I am hoping that while the kids are at camp this summer I can get a chance to try it out. But I'm not adding on anything extra before the bat mitzvah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
AHHHHHH I'm so stupid! I forgot the Joanns sale ended today I had over a hundred dollars of savings in my online shopping cart and I didn't order yet. I literally realized at 12:01.

So upset Grrrrr. I hope there is another sale really soon!
So sorry Luckily, Joanns has sales so frequently that I'm sure you will get another chance. They will probably have a big sale around Easter time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post

Mickey Safari shirt and Easy Fit shorts with patch pockets for the 7 year old:



Mickey/Minnie Safari shirts for Mom, Dad and Grandfather - The grandfather's and grandson's match because my dad always loved to matching shirts/hats with my boys:



Tea Party skirts for the 4 year old twin sisters:






Judy
Everything turned out just great! I love the shorts with the pockets and the safari shirts are terrific! The tea party skirts for the twin girls are just too cute! I saw a picture of them wearing them and they are just adorable! The mom says that the kids are beyond thrilled with all the clothes they are getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Looking for some advice! I am making a dress for Disney for a friends daughter fr her first trip to disney. I'm going to do a Simply Sweet with black and red polka dot alternating panels with white and I'll do appliquees on the white panels. My problem is I haven't got a clue which appliquees to do! There are so many out there. Anyone have any suggestions of ones you would do for a first disney trip dress? I think on the bodice I'll be doing a minnie head with her name on it.

Thanks TIA
Erin
I agree with everybody else that something classically Disney would be perfect for the colors you've chosen. I also loved the idea of doing the castle or something different on the bodice and then some characters on the skirt would look terrific. One little hint though, if you are using white for the skirt, check to see how see through it is. You might need to line the white panels with some muslin to keep it from being very see through. I can tell you this from experience. I made my niece a dress with some panels that were white and you could see her Dora the Explorer underwear under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post
Okay, my son is going on his Wish Trip - he's 2 1/2 and in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is bright green. I want to decorate his chair (saw a post about it in the DISabilities forum).

One of the ways I thought I might be able to do it would be to fashion like a spoke guard (think of it like a hubcap) that would go on the wheels and I could maybe put a large Disney Character or something like that.


Your little guy is a real cutie! I hope you have a great time on your wish trip. I think that if you took cardboard and covered it with duct tape, that might make a great base for your "hubcaps". Then you could order a large character from Etsy to put on top and then lastly top it off with some clear vinyl.

Also, I think that there is a "Disigners" group. You might want to ask them this question since they might have some suggestions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I bought that pattern recently, too! No time to try it yet. I saw a neat variation with the skirt turned backwards so the ruffles were in the back that I want to try one of these days.

So, all of the sudden, I'm super busy with orders for those charm towels! They are a hit apparently. I also decided to try one more craft show in May with the nursing covers and diapers covers I made last year plus any embroidered things I can get made between now and then. I'm planning a bunch of small, quick things like superhero masks and small key chains and zip wallets.



Regards,
C.
Carrie it is so funny that so many of us have bought that ruffled dress pattern recently. I like the idea of the skirt turned backwards so that the ruffles are in the rear.

And talking about the rear... I love your embroidered diaper covers. What a great way to personalize them. Maybe you could take a couple of embroidered examples to the craft show to show off. That might make them sell better. But if you take orders for them, make sure that you have people pay you up front! Maybe you can try a couple of superhero capes to go with the masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I took a little break from my own orders this weekend and did a couple of Easter gifts for my kids, I got these blank hoodies last fall and kept meaning to do something with them. When they put on some older hoodies this week they looked like doll clothes since they were getting so small, so I made them new Disney ones.





And the beach towel I made for Angel's Big give. I used Lynnie Pinnie's Walt embroidery font and re-hooped for each letter and for Mickey. I love it and it looks like she did to from her PTR.



Jen
The towel for Angel is just awesome! I love how it turned out. Great job! I did a towel last week for a bar mitzvah gift but I like your huge appliques letters more than the embroidered name that I did.

And your sweatshirts turned out terrific. It is fun to see how much the kids have grown when they put something on that has gotten too small. It is kind of a happy/sad thing when that happens. I'm happy that they are growing (especially since my older dd had lots of growth issues) but sad that is also means that they are growing up. I love that Disney word embroidery. I'd love to make my in-laws shirts with that design but I don't think they would end up wearing them. The appliques on the back are adorable. Where did you find those?
__________________
DivineDesignsbyDiane on Etsy.





dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #3064
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
The towel for Angel is just awesome! I love how it turned out. Great job! I did a towel last week for a bar mitzvah gift but I like your huge appliques letters more than the embroidered name that I did.

And your sweatshirts turned out terrific. It is fun to see how much the kids have grown when they put something on that has gotten too small. It is kind of a happy/sad thing when that happens. I'm happy that they are growing (especially since my older dd had lots of growth issues) but sad that is also means that they are growing up. I love that Disney word embroidery. I'd love to make my in-laws shirts with that design but I don't think they would end up wearing them. The appliques on the back are adorable. Where did you find those?
Thanks, I love how the towel came out, I haven't done towels before, and I wasn't sure I could get the letters lined up re-hooping for every single one, but the stripes on the towel helped considerably! The goofy on the sweatshirt is from Sweet Peas and the Donald is from HeatherSue, I just added the little shapes behind them to make them a little more full for the back and used the red mickey-head fabric (though donald covers most of it up.)
My kids had growth issues as infants, the biggest they ever were before 18 months was 3rd percentile. Most of the time they weren't even on the charts. Then between 18 months and 1 year, one grew like crazy (4 shoe sizes over one summer.) and the other has sort of stayed the same. He has been wearing the same shoes for more than a year and a half and gets his one-minute-younger brother's hand-me-ups if he ever grows out of the current shoes. He is a good 3-4 inches shorter and 5-6 lbs lighter than his brother, despite being born 1 oz different, and being wiithin a couple of oz. Birth to 18 months. His doc doesn't seem worried by it, since he's growing, just not quickly. But I guess as long as the growth keeps going up at a steady pace it doesn't matter how fast... but no one believes they are twins anymore.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #3065
babynala
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke789 View Post
I want to make something (easy) for my 2 year old b/g twins. The extent of my abilities is pretty much the iron on sticky stuff for fabric. So, with that in mind anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking the standard Mickey / Minnie silhouette with fabric cut to their heads (maybe a bow of another fabric on minnie?)

I'd also like to do a Donald / Daisy set but not sure how to do that. Not sure a silhouette would be recognizable!

Maybe one more set. Any ideas? I have a sewing machine but I'm not very experienced!
You can make a simple dress or shorts in the right "colors" then add a hand appliqued picture (see the first post for a great tutorial). You could do a simple Mickey head on both and then add a bow made of ribbon. Buzz and Jessie are a great idea too. Peter Pan and Tink are a good combo also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I am totally self taught. Some day I will tackle hand appliqué most likely not until after this baby is born though.
Can't wait to see what you create with hand applique....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
AHHHHHH I'm so stupid! I forgot the Joanns sale ended today I had over a hundred dollars of savings in my online shopping cart and I didn't order yet. I literally realized at 12:01.

So upset Grrrrr. I hope there is another sale really soon!
Oh no, I'm sure there will be a new sale soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I can post these now since the Big Give recipients have received them:

Mickey Safari shirt and Easy Fit shorts with patch pockets for the 7 year old:



Mickey/Minnie Safari shirts for Mom, Dad and Grandfather - The grandfather's and grandson's match because my dad always loved to matching shirts/hats with my boys:



Tea Party skirts for the 4 year old twin sisters:






Judy
The shorts and Mickey shirts are so cute. Love the skirts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Looking for some advice! I am making a dress for Disney for a friends daughter fr her first trip to disney. I'm going to do a Simply Sweet with black and red polka dot alternating panels with white and I'll do appliquees on the white panels. My problem is I haven't got a clue which appliquees to do! There are so many out there. Anyone have any suggestions of ones you would do for a first disney trip dress? I think on the bodice I'll be doing a minnie head with her name on it.

Thanks TIA
Erin
I was thinking the Mickey body parts like Diane's recent dresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm not exactly sure if I'm asking this in the right place BUT here's the craft project I need help with (please note, I'm NOT crafty but I'm giving it a go).

Okay, my son is going on his Wish Trip - he's 2 1/2 and in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is bright green. I want to decorate his chair (saw a post about it in the DISabilities forum).

One of the ways I thought I might be able to do it would be to fashion like a spoke guard (think of it like a hubcap) that would go on the wheels and I could maybe put a large Disney Character or something like that.

I don't know if this is making sense - I can see it in my head...lol.

Any ideas on how I could do this - what material to use and how to put the character on there? I'm thinking Buzz Lightyear thanks to a lovely lady that gave me some character suggestions. I'm open to all ideas. Here's the best picture I have of his chair (and of course my cutie too). Thanks for any help :-). I've spent a long time looking through this thread and some of these things make me want to run to walmart and grab a sewing machine :-)

First off, your DS is so cute. I was thinking that you could print something on the printer, cut it out in a circle shape and then have it laminated at an office supply store. You could attach it with zip ties. I would head over to the Designs board to see if someone might be able to make you something custom. It would be cute to have a Wish Trip sign for the back of his wheelchair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
My weekly catch up. . Seems like Sunday evenings are really the only time I have to sit down with the Dis anymore.

So, all of the sudden, I'm super busy with orders for those charm towels! They are a hit apparently. I also decided to try one more craft show in May with the nursing covers and diapers covers I made last year plus any embroidered things I can get made between now and then. I'm planning a bunch of small, quick things like superhero masks and small key chains and zip wallets.

The other exciting thing is that the lady who told me about the craft show is a wonderful photographer who's done photos of my kids a couple times now. She found out I had ruffled diaper covers and all of the sudden, I'm trading her several pairs of them for a photo shoot tomorrow! She's also going to recommend me to her clients to get custom shirts, and pass out my business cards! Yay! (I hope this is ok to talk about!)

So I spent yesterday embellishing some diaper covers for her, both my handmade ones, and some pre made ones, too. Here's what I made:


The first three are for the photographer (plus some un-embellished ones) and the last one is for a new baby cousin born this week. I also sent the cousin a girl version of the 12 month charms. (I'd have to go down two flights of stairs and fire up dh's computer to move a pic of that to photobucket, and I'm too tired tonight. Maybe tomorrow. )

I really liked embroidering on the ruffles of my covers! It was super easy and I like the effect. I may have to try it out on a dress sometime. The pre made covers, not as much fun. They pucker super easily because they are two layers of fabric. I need to experiment on those a bit more, I think!

I hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.
Oh, I love the diaper covers. Wish I had those for my DD when she was little. I'm sure that those would be perfect for a photo shoot. Maybe even having the months on the diaper covers would be a good tie in with a photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillily View Post
I am a long time lurker and recently jumped on the brother pe770 bandwagon. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with. I have figured out the basics of my machine and have started buying fonts and appliques. What I really want to do is applique a design and add writing like my DD's name or a saying. Do I need to get a computer program to create the layout? I've figured out how to add the fonts to my machine but I can only stitch out 1 letter at a time before adding the next letter. I would like to be able to do it all at once. Is there way to do this?

Thanks in advanced!
Jill
I don't have a 770 but I think you need to have some kind of software to combine the letters to create an entire word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I
I took a little break from my own orders this weekend and did a couple of Easter gifts for my kids, I got these blank hoodies last fall and kept meaning to do something with them. When they put on some older hoodies this week they looked like doll clothes since they were getting so small, so I made them new Disney ones.

And the beach towel I made for Angel's Big give. I used Lynnie Pinnie's Walt embroidery font and re-hooped for each letter and for Mickey. I love it and it looks like she did to from her PTR.
Jen
LOVE the sweatshirts and how you combined the designs to with the circle, that really added a nice touch. You did a nice job on the towel too.
__________________
Me (Liz) DH DD (12) DS (9)


babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #3066
SixUnderSix
Earning My Ears
 
SixUnderSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 72

Thank you guys for all the great suggestions. Went to Hobby Lobby and somehow dropped a lot of money and I'm not even sure I got anything that would work but I will have fun trying.

I will post pics if I get anything remotely close to acceptable ;-)
__________________
Melissa - stay at home mom to 6 amazing kiddos:

Nikki (age 9)
Mikey (age 8)
Christopher (age 6)
Previous Wish kid, Jake (age 3 1/2)
Samuel (age 3 1/2):
"Charming" - foster son (13 months)
SixUnderSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #3067
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since they posted that they received them, I thought I would share the Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts I made for Jacobs WDW MAW trip big give. Things 1 and 2 are near and dear to me since I feel like I live with them every day in my twin boys. (I truly believe those characters must have been modeled after twin toddlers, no other creatures are quite as destructive!)



I loved how they turned out, and I have added them to my ever-growing list of two-dos for my boys. (To-dos x2.)

On a different and exciting note, we get to have a very smallish WDW fix in a couple weeks! Driving from Chicago to Florida to visit my father-in-law for the week, he lives near Ft. Meyers. Mostly it is just a visit-Grandpa trip, we do have one small outing planned on a pirate ship cruise out of Ft. Meyers I think my boys will love. BUT... I have a friend from College who lives in the Orlando area, so we are going to visit her on Friday and have breakfast at 'Ohana before we hit the road. It's not in the budget money- or time-wise to go to WDW parks, and it's spring break so it will be super busy, but we figured a little splurge on a character meal that the kids will love, maybe a RT on the monorail before we hit the road and then plan for our next trip back. (Breakfast at 'Ohana was one of our favorites when we were there before. OMG the potatoes were amazing!)
Great job on the T-shirts! Hooray for a small WDW fix. Did you know that there is a Disney recipe group on the forum? I think the breakfast potatoes may be on the list of posted recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Oh Flora, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope you are not working too hard keeping everyone fed and well rested.
Well most people left this morning so hopefully I can get back to the sewing room later this week. I need some major sleep before I can safely handle a pair of scissors though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Where do you order your polkadots from? I need red with white polkadots and black with white polka dots. My local store unfortuntely does not have matching sizes. They have Teeny ones and HUGE ones. The little ones are maybe 1/8th-1/4 of an inch and the huge ones are around 1.5 inches maybe? I need inbetween for panels for a simply sweet size 6. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to order from somewhere someone else has so I know for sure I am getting the right size of dots. I am thinking the size I want is around 3/4 inch?
Thanks
Erin
I get them from Joann's (they are always on my Christmas list so my family buys them for me). I have seen some polka dots in the right size at Fabricland from time to time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Well, I do hope that things settle down for you after everybody goes home. I always feel like I'm running a bed and breakfast at my house! I get my vacation when the kids go to summer camp.
For now, most of the people have gone home so I plan to rest for a bit. I was baking/cooking for most of the afternoon yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Whoa. All of a sudden I feel inspired. Seriously, girls... I am totally self-taught. I really didn't know the difference between "embroidered" and "appliqued" before I looked at this thread. I thought I was going to have to purchase an $800 embroidery machine to get those wonderful character images on an outfit.
I am self-taught as well. I did hand applique for quite some time before I got my first embroidery machine. It is easier than one thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I can post these now since the Big Give recipients have received them:

Mickey Safari shirt and Easy Fit shorts with patch pockets for the 7 year old:



Mickey/Minnie Safari shirts for Mom, Dad and Grandfather - The grandfather's and grandson's match because my dad always loved to matching shirts/hats with my boys:



Tea Party skirts for the 4 year old twin sisters:






Judy
Great job on everything. I am sure the family really appreciated them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Looking for some advice! I am making a dress for Disney for a friends daughter fr her first trip to disney. I'm going to do a Simply Sweet with black and red polka dot alternating panels with white and I'll do appliquees on the white panels. My problem is I haven't got a clue which appliquees to do! There are so many out there. Anyone have any suggestions of ones you would do for a first disney trip dress? I think on the bodice I'll be doing a minnie head with her name on it.

Thanks TIA
Erin
I would suggest something with the 4 parks - 1 park per panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm not exactly sure if I'm asking this in the right place BUT here's the craft project I need help with (please note, I'm NOT crafty but I'm giving it a go).

Okay, my son is going on his Wish Trip - he's 2 1/2 and in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is bright green. I want to decorate his chair (saw a post about it in the DISabilities forum).

One of the ways I thought I might be able to do it would be to fashion like a spoke guard (think of it like a hubcap) that would go on the wheels and I could maybe put a large Disney Character or something like that.

I don't know if this is making sense - I can see it in my head...lol.

Any ideas on how I could do this - what material to use and how to put the character on there? I'm thinking Buzz Lightyear thanks to a lovely lady that gave me some character suggestions. I'm open to all ideas. Here's the best picture I have of his chair (and of course my cutie too). Thanks for any help :-). I've spent a long time looking through this thread and some of these things make me want to run to walmart and grab a sewing machine :-)

Welcome! Your son is handsome! I am thinking a thick vinyl with holes punched around it so you can tie the vinyl to the spoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt, Flora! I hope you get a chance to rest and then back to enjoying Genie soon!


So, all of the sudden, I'm super busy with orders for those charm towels! They are a hit apparently. I also decided to try one more craft show in May with the nursing covers and diapers covers I made last year plus any embroidered things I can get made between now and then. I'm planning a bunch of small, quick things like superhero masks and small key chains and zip wallets.

The other exciting thing is that the lady who told me about the craft show is a wonderful photographer who's done photos of my kids a couple times now. She found out I had ruffled diaper covers and all of the sudden, I'm trading her several pairs of them for a photo shoot tomorrow! She's also going to recommend me to her clients to get custom shirts, and pass out my business cards! Yay! (I hope this is ok to talk about!)

So I spent yesterday embellishing some diaper covers for her, both my handmade ones, and some pre made ones, too. Here's what I made:









The first three are for the photographer (plus some un-embellished ones) and the last one is for a new baby cousin born this week. I also sent the cousin a girl version of the 12 month charms. (I'd have to go down two flights of stairs and fire up dh's computer to move a pic of that to photobucket, and I'm too tired tonight. Maybe tomorrow. )

I really liked embroidering on the ruffles of my covers! It was super easy and I like the effect. I may have to try it out on a dress sometime. The pre made covers, not as much fun. They pucker super easily because they are two layers of fabric. I need to experiment on those a bit more, I think!

I hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.
I am looking forward to spending some time with Genie after I get a chance to get some rest.

Congratulations on getting orders for the charms and the photoshoot! I hope your next craft show will be a success! Please let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillily View Post
I am a long time lurker and recently jumped on the brother pe770 bandwagon. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with. I have figured out the basics of my machine and have started buying fonts and appliques. What I really want to do is applique a design and add writing like my DD's name or a saying. Do I need to get a computer program to create the layout? I've figured out how to add the fonts to my machine but I can only stitch out 1 letter at a time before adding the next letter. I would like to be able to do it all at once. Is there way to do this?

Thanks in advanced!
Jill
I would suggest the free Stitch Era software for just combining letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I took a little break from my own orders this weekend and did a couple of Easter gifts for my kids, I got these blank hoodies last fall and kept meaning to do something with them. When they put on some older hoodies this week they looked like doll clothes since they were getting so small, so I made them new Disney ones.





And the beach towel I made for Angel's Big give. I used Lynnie Pinnie's Walt embroidery font and re-hooped for each letter and for Mickey. I love it and it looks like she did to from her PTR.



Jen
Great job on the sweatshirts and the towel!
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #3068
nannye
DIS Veteran
 
nannye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,598

VENT! Sometimes I really hate living in Canada. I can't find anything that is reasonable, any online canadian retailers do not have the polka dots I need and anything on Ebay or etsy is outrageous when you add in shipping. like really, $9 to ship 1 yard of fabric. Seriously? ARGH! ok done.
__________________
Me Erin (30) & nanny to V (6)
August 2013 PTR! 3rd Times A Charm August 2013 PTR

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP


Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #3069
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.
 
Mickey_for_President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IOWA - Go Hawkeyes!
Posts: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post





Jen
Those are AWESOME! I want one for me!
__________________
Mommy34 to DS12 ; DS10 ; DD2 ; wife to DH44
(1/11) June 1992: Offsite... (2/11) January 2000: Dixie Landing... (3/11) June 2008: A-S Spo... (4/11) August 2008: CB...
(5/11) October 2008: A-S Spo (MNSSHP 10/28)... (6/11) Dec '08 - Jan '09: PO:FQ (Adults Only!)... (7/11) March 2009: PO:FQ...
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #3070
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye
VENT! Sometimes I really hate living in Canada. I can't find anything that is reasonable, any online canadian retailers do not have the polka dots I need and anything on Ebay or etsy is outrageous when you add in shipping. like really, $9 to ship 1 yard of fabric. Seriously? ARGH! ok done.
It's crazy that no one has polka dots. It seems so basic. Sorry for your frustration. I don't think the sellers are marking up shipping too much though because I have shipped a couple shirt orders to Canada first-class, slow and cheap and it was more than $6 for a single onesie and $8 for two toddler sized t-shirts. I think shipping recently went up since both were higher than I had quoted based on the info I found online. It's crazy it costs so much more to ship the same thing that I would pay $2-4 to ship within the us.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #3071
nannye
DIS Veteran
 
nannye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,598

I haven't had much time for commenting on anything lately, but I have seen so many totally AWESOME things! good work ladies!
__________________
Me Erin (30) & nanny to V (6)
August 2013 PTR! 3rd Times A Charm August 2013 PTR

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP


Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #3072
hey_jude
Mouseketeer
 
hey_jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: close to London, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
VENT! Sometimes I really hate living in Canada. I can't find anything that is reasonable, any online canadian retailers do not have the polka dots I need and anything on Ebay or etsy is outrageous when you add in shipping. like really, $9 to ship 1 yard of fabric. Seriously? ARGH! ok done.
Have you tried any of the Len's Mill Stores close to you? The one here has a better selection of polka dots than the 2 Fabriclands closest to me.

Judy
__________________


Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #3073
tinkbell13
Mouseketeer
 
tinkbell13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
VENT! Sometimes I really hate living in Canada. I can't find anything that is reasonable, any online canadian retailers do not have the polka dots I need and anything on Ebay or etsy is outrageous when you add in shipping. like really, $9 to ship 1 yard of fabric. Seriously? ARGH! ok done.
I second what Judy said. I find way more 'Disney' inspired fabric at Lens Mill than Fabricland. I also discovered that the sparkly fabric I have been using is Fairy Frost from Lens Mill and didn't even realize it!

Loree
__________________
Me DH DS(13)

Off-site: 1977 - 1983, 1985 (family trips as a kid)
All Star Movies: 2008, 2012
tinkbell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #3074
disneychic2
DIS Veteran
 
disneychic2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since they posted that they received them, I thought I would share the Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts I made for Jacobs WDW MAW trip big give. Things 1 and 2 are near and dear to me since I feel like I live with them every day in my twin boys. (I truly believe those characters must have been modeled after twin toddlers, no other creatures are quite as destructive!)



I loved how they turned out, and I have added them to my ever-growing list of two-dos for my boys. (To-dos x2.)

On a different and exciting note, we get to have a very smallish WDW fix in a couple weeks! Driving from Chicago to Florida to visit my father-in-law for the week, he lives near Ft. Meyers. Mostly it is just a visit-Grandpa trip, we do have one small outing planned on a pirate ship cruise out of Ft. Meyers I think my boys will love. BUT... I have a friend from College who lives in the Orlando area, so we are going to visit her on Friday and have breakfast at 'Ohana before we hit the road. It's not in the budget money- or time-wise to go to WDW parks, and it's spring break so it will be super busy, but we figured a little splurge on a character meal that the kids will love, maybe a RT on the monorail before we hit the road and then plan for our next trip back. (Breakfast at 'Ohana was one of our favorites when we were there before. OMG the potatoes were amazing!)
Love those shirts!! I'm sure the recipients loved them too. Great job!

Yay for a side trip to Ohana! Our son has lived in Ft Myers since last May and when we planned a trip to see him, he said he'd rather meet at Disney World. So, we planned a DW trip and he joined us for four days. I don't know if I'll ever get to see his place since he always wants to meet at DW! I'm glad you get a chance to visit family and still squeeze in a bit of magic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Whoa. All of a sudden I feel inspired. Seriously, girls... I am totally self-taught. I really didn't know the difference between "embroidered" and "appliqued" before I looked at this thread. I thought I was going to have to purchase an $800 embroidery machine to get those wonderful character images on an outfit.

This is the best place to become inspired that I have ever found. I'm glad you're getting the fever and the confidence to jump in and try some things. "Self-taught" is pretty common around here too and we all start at the beginning. Good luck and have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I can post these now since the Big Give recipients have received them:

Mickey Safari shirt and Easy Fit shorts with patch pockets for the 7 year old:



Mickey/Minnie Safari shirts for Mom, Dad and Grandfather - The grandfather's and grandson's match because my dad always loved to matching shirts/hats with my boys:



Tea Party skirts for the 4 year old twin sisters:






Judy
I saw these over on Trevor's TR and they are just wonderful and look so cute on the kids! You can tell they really love them. What a great job you did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixUnderSix View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm not exactly sure if I'm asking this in the right place BUT here's the craft project I need help with (please note, I'm NOT crafty but I'm giving it a go).

Okay, my son is going on his Wish Trip - he's 2 1/2 and in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is bright green. I want to decorate his chair (saw a post about it in the DISabilities forum).

One of the ways I thought I might be able to do it would be to fashion like a spoke guard (think of it like a hubcap) that would go on the wheels and I could maybe put a large Disney Character or something like that.

I don't know if this is making sense - I can see it in my head...lol.

Any ideas on how I could do this - what material to use and how to put the character on there? I'm thinking Buzz Lightyear thanks to a lovely lady that gave me some character suggestions. I'm open to all ideas. Here's the best picture I have of his chair (and of course my cutie too). Thanks for any help :-). I've spent a long time looking through this thread and some of these things make me want to run to walmart and grab a sewing machine :-)

Looks as though you got quite a few really great suggestions. I just wanted to comment on how cute your little guy is. Thanks for sharing his photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
My weekly catch up. . Seems like Sunday evenings are really the only time I have to sit down with the Dis anymore.


It is not mine. I wish! It came from here: http://www.pickandstitch.com/.

So did the 12 month baby charms, btw, for anyone interested.


So, all of the sudden, I'm super busy with orders for those charm towels! They are a hit apparently. I also decided to try one more craft show in May with the nursing covers and diapers covers I made last year plus any embroidered things I can get made between now and then. I'm planning a bunch of small, quick things like superhero masks and small key chains and zip wallets.




C.
Thanks for the link for the charms. I'm not surprised you have lots of orders for the charms towels. They are unique and adorable! And I love the baby diaper cover ups. I'm a ruffles kind of gal anyway with 4 granddaughters. I do lots of ruffles!! So neat to strike up a barter-type deal with your photographer. Everyone wins!

I used to do craft shows, but haven't for many years. Are people still mostly looking for bargain items or are they more willing to pay for the quality of work in hand crafted items? My DH is encouraging me to make things to sell and I just don't know if I want to go there. I enjoy sewing for friends and family and gifts. But not sure I'm ready to do anything "on demand" so-to-speak. I know lots of people on here do, just don't know if it's right for me personally. Good luck at your show in May. I always enjoyed doing the shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillily View Post
I am a long time lurker and recently jumped on the brother pe770 bandwagon. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with. I have figured out the basics of my machine and have started buying fonts and appliques. What I really want to do is applique a design and add writing like my DD's name or a saying. Do I need to get a computer program to create the layout? I've figured out how to add the fonts to my machine but I can only stitch out 1 letter at a time before adding the next letter. I would like to be able to do it all at once. Is there way to do this?

Thanks in advanced!
Jill
Congrats on your new machine! I see others have already answered your question, which is good since I don't have the machine you have. I hope you have lots of fun using your new machine and will post pictures of what you make. We love to see pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I took a little break from my own orders this weekend and did a couple of Easter gifts for my kids, I got these blank hoodies last fall and kept meaning to do something with them. When they put on some older hoodies this week they looked like doll clothes since they were getting so small, so I made them new Disney ones.





And the beach towel I made for Angel's Big give. I used Lynnie Pinnie's Walt embroidery font and re-hooped for each letter and for Mickey. I love it and it looks like she did to from her PTR.



Jen
First, I saw the beach towel over on Angel's PTR and fell in love. Wow, re-hooping each letter...lot of work, but the result was fabulous! Great job!!

And those sweat shirts are adorable! Can I say that about boy things??? Did the front design also come from the same source? I just love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
VENT! Sometimes I really hate living in Canada. I can't find anything that is reasonable, any online canadian retailers do not have the polka dots I need and anything on Ebay or etsy is outrageous when you add in shipping. like really, $9 to ship 1 yard of fabric. Seriously? ARGH! ok done.
Hey, feel free to vent. That's what we're here for. It must be so frustrating to know what you need and not be able to find it at a reasonable price, or for reasonable shipping. Wish I was planning a trip up your way, I would be more than happy to bring something to you. Hope you resolve your problem.
__________________
disneychic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #3075
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2

Love those shirts!! I'm sure the recipients loved them too. Great job!

Yay for a side trip to Ohana! Our son has lived in Ft Myers since last May and when we planned a trip to see him, he said he'd rather meet at Disney World. So, we planned a DW trip and he joined us for four days. I don't know if I'll ever get to see his place since he always wants to meet at DW! I'm glad you get a chance to visit family and still squeeze in a bit of magic.


First, I saw the beach towel over on Angel's PTR and fell in love. Wow, re-hooping each letter...lot of work, but the result was fabulous! Great job!!

And those sweat shirts are adorable! Can I say that about boy things??? Did the front design also come from the same source? I just love them.
I think boy stuff gets a bad rap, my boys have lots of adorable stuff!

The front design is from glitzy stitches on etsy.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: