Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #3031
babynala
DIS Veteran

Chiara - I think your upcoming trip will be a good test to see what stroller will work best for J. I always suggest a double stroller but I think in your case two singles would be best, as you have already decided. I'm not familiar with lots of the different strollers now. Maybe have C test out the strollers since I know she is a big helper.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #3032
nannye
DIS Veteran

Where do you order your polkadots from? I need red with white polkadots and black with white polka dots. My local store unfortuntely does not have matching sizes. They have Teeny ones and HUGE ones. The little ones are maybe 1/8th-1/4 of an inch and the huge ones are around 1.5 inches maybe? I need inbetween for panels for a simply sweet size 6. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to order from somewhere someone else has so I know for sure I am getting the right size of dots. I am thinking the size I want is around 3/4 inch?
Thanks
Erin

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #3033
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Where do you order your polkadots from? I need red with white polkadots and black with white polka dots. My local store unfortuntely does not have matching sizes. They have Teeny ones and HUGE ones. The little ones are maybe 1/8th-1/4 of an inch and the huge ones are around 1.5 inches maybe? I need inbetween for panels for a simply sweet size 6. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to order from somewhere someone else has so I know for sure I am getting the right size of dots. I am thinking the size I want is around 3/4 inch?
Thanks
Erin
I have gotten mine from Joann's in the past but they don't always have it. I know one of the designers makes some and it is referred to as "Quarter Dot" because the dots are the size of an American quarter.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #3034
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks
Erin
I belong to a buy group on FB and we just closed a buy of Riley Blake dots. I also love Michael Miller dots. I honestly am not a huge fan of joanns fabric

You can check out etsy or fabric.com.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #3035
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since they posted that they received them, I thought I would share the Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts I made for Jacobs WDW MAW trip big give. Things 1 and 2 are near and dear to me since I feel like I live with them every day in my twin boys. (I truly believe those characters must have been modeled after twin toddlers, no other creatures are quite as destructive!)

I loved how they turned out, and I have added them to my ever-growing list of two-dos for my boys. (To-dos x2.)

On a different and exciting note, we get to have a very smallish WDW fix in a couple weeks! Driving from Chicago to Florida to visit my father-in-law for the week, he lives near Ft. Meyers. Mostly it is just a visit-Grandpa trip, we do have one small outing planned on a pirate ship cruise out of Ft. Meyers I think my boys will love. BUT... I have a friend from College who lives in the Orlando area, so we are going to visit her on Friday and have breakfast at 'Ohana before we hit the road. It's not in the budget money- or time-wise to go to WDW parks, and it's spring break so it will be super busy, but we figured a little splurge on a character meal that the kids will love, maybe a RT on the monorail before we hit the road and then plan for our next trip back. (Breakfast at 'Ohana was one of our favorites when we were there before. OMG the potatoes were amazing!)
Love those shirts! We just had Dr. Suess week at school, if I had seen these earlier I probably would have copied the idea for my boss and I, maybe next year. So cute!
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #3036
billwendy
DIS Veteran

They were thrilled with the Thing shirts!!!! Thanks so much for making them for that family - mom was especially happy!!!

I was wondering if anyone else would like to join us on the Big Gives - you dont have to sign up for every give. Just when you can. Right now we could still use a few more things. Angel would LOVE to have a tie die mickey shirt!!!!!!

THanks for considering!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #3037
OhStuffandFluff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President
Here is an apron skirt I made that goes over a pink petticoat dress. I actually copied it off of something I saw on Etsy (sorry)... but I was like... "I can make it cheaper." It is not finished in these pics.

After these photos were taken, I made two large pink rosettes and attached them in such a way to keep the top layer of tulle from riding up. I am going to make a matching hair piece. Not on the top of my list of things to do at the moment though...

I DID just buy a very well made dress off of Etsy recently. It had such a beautifully embroidered/appliqued Cinderella on it, I could not resist.
Love this dress! It is beautiful! Great job!

DH Myself DS DD
OhStuffandFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #3038
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I loved how they turned out, and I have added them to my ever-growing list of two-dos for my boys. (To-dos x2.)

On a different and exciting note, we get to have a very smallish WDW fix in a couple weeks! Driving from Chicago to Florida to visit my father-in-law for the week, he lives near Ft. Meyers. Mostly it is just a visit-Grandpa trip, we do have one small outing planned on a pirate ship cruise out of Ft. Meyers I think my boys will love. BUT... I have a friend from College who lives in the Orlando area, so we are going to visit her on Friday and have breakfast at 'Ohana before we hit the road. It's not in the budget money- or time-wise to go to WDW parks, and it's spring break so it will be super busy, but we figured a little splurge on a character meal that the kids will love, maybe a RT on the monorail before we hit the road and then plan for our next trip back. (Breakfast at 'Ohana was one of our favorites when we were there before. OMG the potatoes were amazing!)
Thing 1 and Thing 2 would be great Halloween costumes for your boys next fall. And so easy!

Have you signed up for groupons down in Ft. Myers? We signed up for the ones in Tampa so that we could find fun stuff to do when we visit the grandparents in Sarasota. We have found lots and lots of fun stuff at good prices. Breakfast at O'hana will be a lot of fun. We are there once also and we really liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Thank you Diane. I feel like I am running a bed, breakfast, and dinner these days (though I would consider opening a bed and breakfast in my retirement, but that will be many, many years from now).
Well, I do hope that things settle down for you after everybody goes home. I always feel like I'm running a bed and breakfast at my house! I get my vacation when the kids go to summer camp.

Quote:
I have this machine: http://www.joann.com/singer-curvytm-...prd_02458347a/

When I got this new machine, a year ago this past Christmas, I did some research and asked friends what they used. One friend had this and raved about it. The reviews were mixed. Overall, I like it, but I do think it is likely I will replace it sometime this year. There are a couple of things that just aren't great. It doesn't have an option to leave the needle in the down position, which is pretty essential in quilting. And the stitch adjustments are wacky. They seem to reset no matter where the slider is, and are finicky to get the same setting twice, I wish I could just leave it where I like it and not have to futz with it as much as I do. And another thing that makes me crazy, and I don't know if this is just this machine or the sewing machine world in general, the faster I sew, like the more I press down the presser foot, the closer the stitches get together. So if I start out slower and speed up the stitches are different lengths, which I don't like. I think that isn't normal. They say Singer isn't what it used to be. I will probably replace it with a Janome or Brother.
I'm glad that you mostly like your machine. I've heard from numerous places that Singers just aren't what they used to be. And the embroidery machines are supposed to be terrible! I have a Brother 270d that I mostly like. The only thing that I dislike about it is that it has a thread cartridge which is a pain and it means that I can't use larger spools of thread easily. My mom has a vintage machine that I hope to get some day.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #3039
brooke789
Mouseketeer

I want to make something (easy) for my 2 year old b/g twins. The extent of my abilities is pretty much the iron on sticky stuff for fabric. So, with that in mind anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking the standard Mickey / Minnie silhouette with fabric cut to their heads (maybe a bow of another fabric on minnie?)

I'd also like to do a Donald / Daisy set but not sure how to do that. Not sure a silhouette would be recognizable!

Maybe one more set. Any ideas? I have a sewing machine but I'm not very experienced!
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #3040
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke789
I want to make something (easy) for my 2 year old b/g twins. The extent of my abilities is pretty much the iron on sticky stuff for fabric. So, with that in mind anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking the standard Mickey / Minnie silhouette with fabric cut to their heads (maybe a bow of another fabric on minnie?)

I'd also like to do a Donald / Daisy set but not sure how to do that. Not sure a silhouette would be recognizable!

Maybe one more set. Any ideas? I have a sewing machine but I'm not very experienced!
Woody and Jessie would be cute for b/g twins. I have twin boys so we are a buzz/woody family. You could do a pillowcase dress in yellow/white and cow print and a matching yellow t-shirt w/ cow print "vest"

I think you could find iron-on appliqué patches. Before I had an embroidery machine I did add some pre-made patches. Also there are tons of possibilities on etsy.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #3041
brooke789
Mouseketeer

I usually buy whatever fabric iron on the iron-on sticky stuff and then cut whatever shape (for example hearts for DDs valentine shirt and a neck tie for DSs) then iron that on. No sewing at all for my 'standard' DIY shirts
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #3042
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Try Heather's most awesome applique tutorial found on the first page - it's how I learned and the same basic way I do it. You will be appliqueing before you know it.

D~
Whoa. All of a sudden I feel inspired. Seriously, girls... I am totally self-taught. I really didn't know the difference between "embroidered" and "appliqued" before I looked at this thread. I thought I was going to have to purchase an $800 embroidery machine to get those wonderful character images on an outfit.

(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3043
Mickey_for_President

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Beautiful dress and a cute model! Great job!
Too bad she was CRABBY that day.
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #3044
Mickey_for_President

Quote:

I'd love to get a vintage machine, I'm so jealous of those that have them, but I know that fixing and learning, really just is not in the cards for me.
Yeah to an upgrade!! I don't really have a recommendation either.
Just wanted to say... Don't be afraid of vintage. I've only had to oil mine and change the bobbin-winder-rubber-wheel-thingy (lol... technical term). No real repairs necessary yet.

Although, I'm sure it would be nice to have some expanded capabilities with a newer machine.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #3045
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Whoa. All of a sudden I feel inspired. Seriously, girls... I am totally self-taught. I really didn't know the difference between "embroidered" and "appliqued" before I looked at this thread. I thought I was going to have to purchase an $800 embroidery machine to get those wonderful character images on an outfit.

I am totally self taught. Some day I will tackle hand appliqué most likely not until after this baby is born though.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: