Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #2956
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I love everything, I just wish I could find a good place to buy knit fabric - I am dying to try something fun with it.

The dress will be adorable with the other layer of ribbon on it.

D~
I haven't had the confidence to do anything with knit myself, but I bookmarked this site a while ago because I think they have really cute knits: http://www.girlcharlee.com (I have no affiliation with them, in fact I am not even really a "customer" since I have never ordered, just ogled.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
I introduced myself a few pages back - I am Kelly and have almost 3 year old boy girl twins. Thanks for all the info and advice about the flannel and pajama pants.

You ladies have finally inspired me to sew.

I started with some bags to hold pixie dust for Trevors big give

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

I got brave and attempted an Easter bunny Simply Sweet (still needs to be hemmed) and it is hanging very crocked on the hanger in this picture.

And because my poor son was feeling left out (girl fabrics are so fun to play with) - some lightening McQueen Easy Fits (Still waiting for the elastic to be inserted.) I promptly realized as soon as I cut them out that I had cut the pattern upside down but I dont think my son will notice

Thank you ladies for all the inspiration - I never would have gotten started if it wasnt for all of your beautiful creations. I have had so much fun doing it and my kids are so excited to see what mommy made. I am afraid my hubby is going to start making requests too!

Kelly
Looks like you are off to a great start! I have twins too, two boys, so every project I do I end up doing two of them. For your son I suggest the bowling shirt from Carla C, which is super versatile and the instructions are very good. I hadn't made an article of clothing since Junior High and I was able to make two buzz lightyear bowling shirts last summer. Since then I think I have made that pattern at least 20+ more times. I love it. And then my husband did start making requests... I made adult bowling shirts for our Disney trip for my husband, me and our two friends who went with us, and I made a Batman one for my husband's birthday. I have pictures of most of them on my site (in the signature) I have posted them all here, so I won't bore everyone with all my two-of-a-kind shirts again

Jen

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #2957
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Question
I made the simply sweet based on my daughters measurements in a Size 2. It fits her great in the bodice but is really hard to get it over her head and arms in and out. I am afraid if I go up a size it will be too big in the bodice but would be a lot easier to get on and off. Is it common for this dress to be hard to get on and off since there is no zipper or elastic or do I need to go up a size nest time?

Thanks for your thoughts
Kelly

Kelly
YES! In a Simply Sweet, they have to step in. That is my only complaint about the Simply Sweet. It is the reason I hate to make it now...but when a customer requests it...I have to comply.

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #2958
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I love everything, I just wish I could find a good place to buy knit fabric - I am dying to try something fun with it.
Hi D! There are some good places on the internet to buy knits. I saw that Jen recommended Girl Charlee. I also like the Purple Seamstress on FB and there are a bunch of people on Etsy who sell cute knits. But a great place to start with knits for kids is Joanns. Their Doodles line of fabric includes a bunch of cute knits. And sewing with knits is very easy. I didn't start until about a year ago and I find that there are a few little tricks that you need to know but not a whole bunch. For example you have to stabilize the shoulders when you sew with knit fabrics so that they don't stretch out of shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I am glad that you are feeling better and you were able to visit your mom. I hope she will make lots of progress in rehab.
Well, they ended up sending my mom back to the hospital over the weekend but she is back at the rehab place again. Then my dad fell when he was leaving the hospital but luckily he didn't break anything. Having your parents get older is hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
I hope your mom is improving. She will probably rehab faster in a facility because she won't "have" to do anything. I'm sure if she was at home she would be doing too much.
Well, since she really isn't even getting up out of bed much yet I think it is good that she is at rehab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
First is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

Then, I made a towel with holiday charms for my MIL's birthday:

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.
Glad to hear that you liked the value resorts. Most people seem to be giving them positive reviews so that is good to hear. I'm also glad that your family is pretty much done with the colds. Mine is finally almost gone. I still have a lingering cough but it always takes me forever to get rid of the coughs once I get them.

Your charms onesies are so cute. They would be perfect for a monthly picture for a new baby. We've had friends that do a picture once a month for the first year and I think it is such a cute idea! The towel is cute too.

I love the picture of the kids in the their new shirts. I'm glad that the stains all came out! I love your little girl's curls!

Quote:

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

I got brave and attempted an Easter bunny Simply Sweet (still needs to be hemmed) and it is hanging very crocked on the hanger in this picture.

And because my poor son was feeling left out (girl fabrics are so fun to play with) - some lightening McQueen Easy Fits (Still waiting for the elastic to be inserted.) I promptly realized as soon as I cut them out that I had cut the pattern upside down but I dont think my son will notice

Kelly
Everything turned out just great! The bags were a big hit over on Trevor's PTR. I saw the pictures and the kids seemed to love your pixie dust bags!

The pre-shirred fabric is easy to use and makes some cute dresses. Your bunny dress turned out super. You are really catching on to sewing quickly! And we've all made the same mistake with directional fabrics. You can just tell him the Lightening McQueen is looking up at him!

Quote:
Question[COLOR="Black"]
I made the simply sweet based on my daughters measurements in a Size 2. It fits her great in the bodice but is really hard to get it over her head and arms in and out. I am afraid if I go up a size it will be too big in the bodice but would be a lot easier to get on and off. Is it common for this dress to be hard to get on and off since there is no zipper or elastic or do I need to go up a size nest time?
The simply sweet is a bit tricky to get on and off but is such a cute style. I sew a bunch of them. Once you get to be a more proficient seamstress there are a bunch of modifications that you can do to make it easier to get one and off. You can make the back bigger and shirr it yourself to give it some room. Or you can make the larger size but add a couple of rows of elastic under the arms. A couple of times I changed the bodice to make it corseted.

I will see if I have a couple of pictures to show you.

Here is one that I did last week with the shirred back:

This one has a corseted front:

Here is another one with the shirred back:

I can't find any pictures of the Simply Sweets that I have done with the elastic on the sides. But basically I just make the larger size of the simply sweet and insert a few rows of elastic between the fashion fabric and the lining in the bodice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Your son's easy fits look great. He'll just think you made it so he can look at Lightning McQueen right side up. We've all done that a time or two. At least they are going the SAME direction!!
LOL! I said the same things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
YES! In a Simply Sweet, they have to step in. That is my only complaint about the Simply Sweet. It is the reason I hate to make it now...but when a customer requests it...I have to comply.

Nini
But they are cute and easy to wear once they get them on.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #2959
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

I also wanted to share the outfits that I did for Trevor's Big Give. They received these outfits last week so I can post them now that they've gotten them:

Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #2960
teacher1717
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Catching up from the last two weeks...

IFirst is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

C.
I LOVE these charms. What a fantastic idea!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #2961
Courtney829
Earning My Ears

I stumbled across this thread last week and was inspired. I haven't sewn in about 15 years but just finished my first little project for my daughter! I'm hoping that one of you can help me find a fabric that I've just fallen in love with. I cannot find it for sale anywhere. It's the Thomas Kinkade Peter Pan characters and quotes on cream. I'd post a link but I'm too new to. Has anyone seen it for sale somewhere?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2962
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney829 View Post
I stumbled across this thread last week and was inspired. I haven't sewn in about 15 years but just finished my first little project for my daughter! I'm hoping that one of you can help me find a fabric that I've just fallen in love with. I cannot find it for sale anywhere. It's the Thomas Kinkade Peter Pan characters and quotes on cream. I'd post a link but I'm too new to. Has anyone seen it for sale somewhere?
I haven't seen in stores recently. I had seen it at Walmart a couple of summers ago and I think at Hobby Lobby also. I'd try Etsy or Ebay to see if you can find any at a reasonable price.

Purpleears- Did you get a new embroidery machine? I saw the dresses that you sent to Trevor's sisters and your appliques look much bigger than usual.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #2963
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

First is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

And, finally, I made some sibling shirts for my kiddos:

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
I LOVE everything - but I think those little charm shirts are TDF!!! What a brilliant idea!

Quote:

Thank you ladies for all the inspiration - I never would have gotten started if it wasnt for all of your beautiful creations. I have had so much fun doing it and my kids are so excited to see what mommy made. I am afraid my hubby is going to start making requests too!

Kelly
So cute! You did a great job for your first projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I haven't had the confidence to do anything with knit myself, but I bookmarked this site a while ago because I think they have really cute knits: http://www.girlcharlee.com (I have no affiliation with them, in fact I am not even really a "customer" since I have never ordered, just ogled.)

Looks like you are off to a great start! I have twins too, two boys, so every project I do I end up doing two of them. For your son I suggest the bowling shirt from Carla C, which is super versatile and the instructions are very good. I hadn't made an article of clothing since Junior High and I was able to make two buzz lightyear bowling shirts last summer. Since then I think I have made that pattern at least 20+ more times. I love it. And then my husband did start making requests... I made adult bowling shirts for our Disney trip for my husband, me and our two friends who went with us, and I made a Batman one for my husband's birthday. I have pictures of most of them on my site (in the signature) I have posted them all here, so I won't bore everyone with all my two-of-a-kind shirts again

Jen
Thanks for the link Jen - I've opened it in another tab - but I don't dare look at it until I am done replying here - or I may not finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Hi D! There are some good places on the internet to buy knits. I saw that Jen recommended Girl Charlee. I also like the Purple Seamstress on FB and there are a bunch of people on Etsy who sell cute knits. But a great place to start with knits for kids is Joanns. Their Doodles line of fabric includes a bunch of cute knits. And sewing with knits is very easy. I didn't start until about a year ago and I find that there are a few little tricks that you need to know but not a whole bunch. For example you have to stabilize the shoulders when you sew with knit fabrics so that they don't stretch out of shape.
Thanks Diane... You can bet - if I ever get the nerve up to order some knits, you will be the first person I contact - because it's mostly your stuff that's driven me there in the first place.

Quote:
Well, they ended up sending my mom back to the hospital over the weekend but she is back at the rehab place again. Then my dad fell when he was leaving the hospital but luckily he didn't break anything. Having your parents get older is hard!
I am so very sorry. I will continue to keep them in our prayers.

Quote:
This one has a corseted front:

OK - I love everything you post - but I think I missed this one somewhere along the way - it's too cute! I love the fabrics and everything!

Quote:
I also wanted to share the outfits that I did for Trevor's Big Give. They received these outfits last week so I can post them now that they've gotten them:

Another set that I just love - I am such a sucker for dots!

Quote:
I know exactly which fabric you are talking about... I am afraid that it's been discontinued for a while, I do see it pop up from time to time on Ebay - but it usually goes for a premium. I sure hope that Thomas Kinkade comes out with more fabric like that, because it truly was timeless and beautiful.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #2964
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've had some form of cold or another around here for the last three weeks. I finally had to admit defeat and go to the doctor since my colds always turn into sinus infections. But, I think we're all finally close to healthy. I didn't get as much sewing done as I'd have liked, but I finished three projects.

And, finally, I made some sibling shirts for my kiddos:

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
I am sorry to hear that you guys have been sick. The charms are a neat idea. The shirts for your kids look great. I am glad to hear that BBQ sauce washed out!

Quote:
I introduced myself a few pages back - I am Kelly and have almost 3 year old boy girl twins. Thanks for all the info and advice about the flannel and pajama pants.

You ladies have finally inspired me to sew.

Kelly
Your first projects are looking great. Just think - the shorts are cut that way so he can see the cars "the right way." My DH actually requests custom polo shirts with Lego Minifig or Mickey from time to time (he wears them to work).

Quote:

I know I commented on them on the Big Give board but those outfits look beautiful! They seem to like the outfits too!

Quote:
Welcome! I am sure your daughter is thrilled to get something made by mom. I know exactly which fabric you are talking about - I have the Pinocchio version of it. I got it a couple of weeks ago on clearance, but they didn't have the Peter Pan one.

Quote:
Purpleears- Did you get a new embroidery machine? I saw the dresses that you sent to Trevor's sisters and your appliques look much bigger than usual.
Excellent observation Diane. I will introduce Genie in a minute.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #2965
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

As Diane suspected, I got a new embroidery machine a couple of weeks ago. I decided to call him Genie. I had to wait to share the news as my first project on Genie was for a Big Give and I didn't want to spill the beans!

First, a picture of Genie:

He is the 10-needle Brother embroidery machine. I got the floor model at the local shop at a very good price, in addition, Brother had a promo on the 10-needle machine, so we are getting a $1500 rebate. The combination meant that we were able to get the 10-needle machine instead of the 6, and still saved some money! We also got the stand for free as it was broken. DH worked his magic and the stand is good as new!

The neat thing about Genie is that the stand for the thread lights up in different colours, so you know which colour is supposed to go on which spool. We thought it looked like World of Colours!

So like I said, the first project with Genie was a set of dresses for a Big Give:

I have since done a few shirts for one of my co-workers:

As many of you know, Genie is a "Mortgage free" celebration purchase. I feel very blessed to have Genie and I am super excited to be able to do more for the Gives!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #2966
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #2967
abqgreene
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the things I made for my nice and nephew's first trip to Disney world last month. Sorry for the huge pictures:

The dress I made for Kate to wear to our princess breakfast in Norway. This is very similar to one that post a few weeks ago. My niece loved twirling in this dress. She enjoyed showing all the princesses that they were on her dress and Aurora wished she had a dress with all of her friends on it too.
front:

back:

My nephew is a huge sports fan and is a major Minnesota Viking's fan which is kind of odd because he was born in Colorado, my brother is a Giant's fan and he currently lives in NC. For Christmas he got a jersey, PJ pants, football and a Viking helmet - like they sell in Epcot, not a football helmet. Purple is his favorite color so that might have something to do with it. I could not figure out what I was going to make him for our Epcot day and then I remembered I had this mickey head and found a purple t-shirt at Hobby Lobby. I think this was his favorite shirt of the week.

They wore these to Chef Mickey and our last day at MK. My nephew's t-shirt was actually a recycle. I made this for my son for one of our trips before I got my embroidery machine. I'm glad he was able to use it but boy I was not good at hand applique:

These were supposed to be for our second day at Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef but we ended up going to AK instead. They still worked for the Animal theme but I would have rather done a cute animal print theme.

I have a few more things to share but need to head out. Hope everyone has a great day.
Can you tell me where you got the wonderful princess appliqué patterns? If you created them they ate absolutely adorable!
abqgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #2968
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

That is just PRECIOUS!!! I love it!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #2969
OhStuffandFluff
Mouseketeer

We had a fantastic trip in January this year!! Already can't wait to go back!! Thought I would share some of the outfits I completed for my DD6 and shirts for DS8. Thanks for looking!
Perry Dress
Stitch and Pikachu shirt - for my little Pokemon fan!
Rapunzel wedding dress
ariel inspired skirt set
my little pirate in his perry shirt
Octonauts outfit
cinderella tutu dress

DH Myself DS DD
OhStuffandFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #2970
nannye
DIS Veteran

Can you guys give me some advice on the country classic cotton solids from Joannes? Is this "broadcloth"? Are the Kona cottons better? This is for standard dresses, skirts, some appliquees etc..

I am putting together an online order and I don't have a Joannes here so I'm not as familiar with their products and fabric quality.

Thanks
Erin

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: