Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #2671
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Has anyone used sheets for making clothes?

I started buying some at the second hand store when I found a flat twin Toy Story sheet. Last week I found a striped one that had some nice colors in it. They are much cheaper than fabric at the store.

I'm going to make some dresses with the Toy Story sheet for my nieces to wear on Toy Story night on the cruise.

I kind of feel like I'm the governess (Maria) from the Sound of Music making clothes out of sheets and pillowcases!
i do, but sometimes the print is too big or the sheet too thin.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #2672
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Again I am behind! I adore that Ariel dress! Is it a Grace? I just purchased the pattern.

Someone asked about the four parks dress I made, it is a Stripwork Jumper but I modified the panels. I just finished this one which DD loves! I modified the straps and panels again:
Front

Back:

I am phone posting and am sorry if these are large!
WOW!! I'm not usually one for the cutesy look, but this is Amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I usually put together commercial patterns with ease. It's the only kind I've done so far. It's coming along with a few issues but I think it looks great so far.

I wasn't sure this would look right when I saw the pattern - meaning the princess seams. But it's fabulous!

Quote:

I started buying some at the second hand store when I found a flat twin Toy Story sheet. Last week I found a striped one that had some nice colors in it. They are much cheaper than fabric at the store.

I'm going to make some dresses with the Toy Story sheet for my nieces to wear on Toy Story night on the cruise.

I kind of feel like I'm the governess (Maria) from the Sound of Music making clothes out of sheets and pillowcases!
I do a lot of re-conning: T-shirts, sheets, etc. (especially t-shirts. I think I may have a bit of a problem there. ) The big thing, which has been mentioned here, is the sheets do tend to be a bit thinner than quilting or even apparel cottons. But they can make some cute stuff.

PurpleEars: I love that whole set of outfits you did for yourself and personally, I think that Disney should look into making something like your EPCOT set for their personal tour guides. Not that I'm saying you look like a tour guide...well, maybe I am. But in a good way!

I actually have finished my pattern weights, but my photohosting site and myself are having a bit of a "I'm not talking to you moment." If I ever get it to behave, I'll post pictures of them.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #2673
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
My son is nonverbal and autistic so I generally dress him in what I want. I make his pants because he is very sensory and lots of storebought things set him off.

I don't generally use Disney prints because I find their quality lacking. I am searching for some different plaids and such right now.
I only have boys and I made them custom clothing for our trip in Oct/Nov. I made several of the Carla C bowling shirts, some with licensed fabric, but a few without. I posted photos of all of them. I did a Cars one which did have licensed Cars fabric, but I only had a single Fat Quarter and made two shirts from it. I used mainly Racing Check and solid black. I also did a pirate one which was red/white striped and a "vest" from black pirate fabric, those were my favorites. And a Mickey one that was just solids, red, yellow and black with appliqués, I used cotton quilting solids. It was cheaper and the fabric was good quality. I also made them some easy fit pants and a few embroidered t-shirts, but the bowling shirts were definitely the bulk of the sewing I did. I think I made 12 total (two each of 6 patterns) and they all look pretty different.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2674
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I don't generally use Disney prints because I find their quality lacking. I am searching for some different plaids and such right now.
I got tons of cute madras plaids at Joanns on one of their clearance sales. They are just starting to get some springtime stuff in so I'm sure you will find something great. I did see that somebody said that Fabric.com was having a good sale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Hi Everyone!! A new big give was just posted!! Trevor, a star wars lover and his 4yo twin sisters!!!! Please come and help to bless this family with some pixie dust! They surely deserve it!!! Thanks so much!!! Please join in if you haven't ever before!!!!

Wendy

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi
I've signed up and can't wait to start sewing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
Hello you talented ladies. I just wanted to let you know I have been so inspired by reading the last few threads and have finally worked up the courage to do some sewing for my almost 3 year old twins for our trip this summer.

I just wanted to say I am so impressed and inspired with all of your creations.

Kelly
Welcome to the group Kelly! Do you have boys or girls or both? We have another twin mom in our group with two boys who are also preschool aged. We can't wait to see what you've started sewing.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #2675
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Here are a couple of things that I finished up on Friday. The weekend was busy so I am just getting around to taking pictures now.

I have almost used up that ruffle fabric. I am happy with how the outfits turned out but I doubt I will buy that fabric again. Also, I swear that I had hooped that sandcastle dress straight but it looks so crooked in the pictures! I don't know what happened.

Also, there is a special e-pattern sale this week. You can get 18 patterns for $25. I like most of the patterns so it is probably worth it for me to purchase the package but other patterns I will probably not use. Anyhow here is a link:
http://gotosew.com/2013/02/sew-fab-p...sale-giveaway/
Cute as always! I wish I was your niece and had such a fun summer wardrobe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
Here's an example of the Snow White outfit she likes.
This is adorable! Totally perfect for a tween or teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Well, this is the dress I made for Christmas for my Niece who is 5. She just got back from her first trip to wdw. I never got to see her in this to see if it even fit her. I still wasn't sure if it fit her until my MIL just told me she did wear it. I can't wait to see pictures soon. She did say that my niece loves the dress (Ariel is her favorite). And while at wdw, a few people asked where she bought it, so that is an awesome compliment. This was my first ever Grace dress.

And thank you to smile5sunshine for the pep talk that this pattern was doable. I read it over and over and then it finally made sense while I was putting it together.

Adorable! I hope you'll share a modeled pic when you get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Again I am behind! I adore that Ariel dress! Is it a Grace? I just purchased the pattern.

Someone asked about the four parks dress I made, it is a Stripwork Jumper but I modified the panels. I just finished this one which DD loves! I modified the straps and panels again:
Front

Back:

I am phone posting and am sorry if these are large!
LOVE that dress! Just beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
On other exciting news: DH and I may be planning a September trip! DH just said to me the other day, would you like to go to Night of Joy? I am just super excited as music is a big part of worship for us (he sings in our church's selected voices choir). Now hopefully we can get free dining and airfare that doesn't cost a fortune. I guess we should have booked that bounceback when we were there last year, but we honestly didn't think we would go during the times they specified. I guess there may be new Disney outfits for me afterall!
Yay for a possible trip! I hope you get to go! My husband would love to attend the Night of Joy, too. If only it were not in September. I doubt we will go back at that time of year. Too humid for our taste. We're wimps on humidity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
I made my DD's BFF a rag quilt. The poor kid has a real pip for a Mom. I wanted the kid to know someone thinks she's worth making something special for.

And here are a few of the tissue holders I made. I think I did 48 and have learned that even though my day job is stressful I shouldnt give it up and try to earn a living making things.

I'm working on another rag quilt. Almost done with the sewing. If the snow forecasts are accurate this weekend should be a good time to do the cutting on the seams.
That quilt is very pretty! What a sweet gift! What are all those tissue holders for? 48! Yikes! Production line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Hi! I finally uploaded photos of the baby quilt I did.

Not Disney, but surely fit for a princess.

Very pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I usually put together commercial patterns with ease. It's the only kind I've done so far. It's coming along with a few issues but I think it looks great so far.

Wow! That turned out beautifully! Can't wait to see it modeled!

Quote:

I used a sheet for a baby carrier and plan to use the rest for an apron. I LOVE using unusual items for sewing! Good luck with yours!

Well, after a marathon of sewing last week, I finished the beach robes for my kiddos. I'm very happy with the results and they worked great, BUT I'm not in a hurry to use towels/terry cloth anytime soon. What a messy project! Nothing difficult, but little bits of towel were EVERYWHERE! I was happy to vacuum my sewing area tonight! (Also, the towels I got from Walmart snagged something furious. I don't know if all towels would behave that way or not.)

OH, and I ended up back at Walmart for the fabric I mentioned last week that is the hood lining, appliqes and belts. JoAnn's just didn't have anything in the colors I wanted, while the Wally one was exactly right. I asked about coupons and they looked at me like I had two heads. So, no, Walmart does not accept competitor coupons.

All three robes:

Applique closeup:

Heading to the pool:

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #2676
cogero
DIS Veteran

I love the beach robes.

I think I need to take a trip to one of the other Joann's besides the closes one because I think I am sick of looking at their stock LOL.

So much cuteness posted. Love the princess dress.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #2677
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

Welcome to the group Kelly! Do you have boys or girls or both? We have another twin mom in our group with two boys who are also preschool aged. We can't wait to see what you've started sewing.[/QUOTE]

I have a boy and a girl so I get to try all kinds of fun stuff!!! I am starting out with a pair of easy fit pants for both of them. They keep asking me if I made their jammie pants yet

There may also be a Brother 770 coming to our house soon thanks to all of you wonderful ladies.

Kelly
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #2678
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Wow! That turned out beautifully! Can't wait to see it modeled!

Well, after a marathon of sewing last week, I finished the beach robes for my kiddos. I'm very happy with the results and they worked great, BUT I'm not in a hurry to use towels/terry cloth anytime soon. What a messy project! Nothing difficult, but little bits of towel were EVERYWHERE! I was happy to vacuum my sewing area tonight! (Also, the towels I got from Walmart snagged something furious. I don't know if all towels would behave that way or not.)

OH, and I ended up back at Walmart for the fabric I mentioned last week that is the hood lining, appliqes and belts. JoAnn's just didn't have anything in the colors I wanted, while the Wally one was exactly right. I asked about coupons and they looked at me like I had two heads. So, no, Walmart does not accept competitor coupons.

All three robes:

Applique closeup:

Heading to the pool:

Regards,
C.
I hope I get a picture of it modeled too...

Those robes look awesome ! I really like the colors and stripes in the sand pail and the initial make it more special. I like initials better than names because it makes it a little easier to pass down.

Towels are a pain. I sewed some monkey tails out of a brown towel for the school play and now I have little brown spots everywhere, looks like ants all over my chair and carpet.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #2679
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:

All three robes:

Applique closeup:

Heading to the pool:

Regards,
C.
Those turned out perfect in every way! I love how all three have a different color towel and how the stripe fabric for the ties and appliques pulls all the colors together so nicely. Hopefully they will each get a couple of years' wear out of them with all the work you put into them. I'm assuming you went to Great Wolf -- did you have fun? We have been to the one in Williamsburg a couple of times and the kids just love it.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #2680
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:

All three robes:

Applique closeup:

Heading to the pool:

Regards,
C.
What pattern is this? I LOVE IT!!!!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #2681
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea
Those turned out perfect in every way! I love how all three have a different color towel and how the stripe fabric for the ties and appliques pulls all the colors together so nicely. Hopefully they will each get a couple of years' wear out of them with all the work you put into them. I'm assuming you went to Great Wolf -- did you have fun? We have been to the one in Williamsburg a couple of times and the kids just love it.
Thank you all for the kind comments on the robes! If anyone is interested in sizing on the pattern, I made the largest size offered, a 3T/4T, for dd (yellow robe) with no alterations to the pattern. She wears a 3T shirt size and the robe is huge on her. I used the same size for both boys who wear 5-6 in shirts. For theirs I added 5 inches length to the robe, 3 inches to the sleeves and moved the belt down an inch at the waist. As long as they don't suddenly get too broad across the shoulders, we should be set for a few years of wear!

We went to a small local waterpark that's attached to a Holiday Inn. It's about a third of the size of Great Wolf. This is our second year going there with two other families. The oldest kids are currently 5, so this park is the perfect size for all of the littles we've got - 7 kids total from 5 down to 1. Eventually we will be 'moving up' to bigger places like GWL as the kids get older and become better swimmers.

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2682
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele

What pattern is this? I LOVE IT!!!!
Here's the pattern:
http://www.danamadeit.com/2011/06/th...e-pattern.html

See my previous comment regarding sizing.

Regards,
C.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #2683
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well, after a marathon of sewing last week, I finished the beach robes for my kiddos. I'm very happy with the results and they worked great, BUT I'm not in a hurry to use towels/terry cloth anytime soon. What a messy project! Nothing difficult, but little bits of towel were EVERYWHERE! I was happy to vacuum my sewing area tonight!

All three robes:

Heading to the pool:

Regards,
C.
If you think sewing in the towels was hard, try putting buttonholes in them! My machine definitely wasn't happy about that. I finally figured out that I could put some solvy on the top and bottom of the towel and it helped a lot. Your pool robes turned out great. The fabric from Walmart was perfect and I can see why you went back to get it. Your kids must have had a great time at the water park. What amazes me most about the picture though is how big your daughter has gotten. She has turned from a baby into a little girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post

I have a boy and a girl so I get to try all kinds of fun stuff!!! I am starting out with a pair of easy fit pants for both of them. They keep asking me if I made their jammie pants yet

There may also be a Brother 770 coming to our house soon thanks to all of you wonderful ladies.

Kelly
How fun to have one of each to sew for. You will be able to make lots of coordinating outfits that would have cost you a bundle at a boutique.

Quote:

We went to a small local waterpark that's attached to a Holiday Inn. It's about a third of the size of Great Wolf. This is our second year going there with two other families. The oldest kids are currently 5, so this park is the perfect size for all of the littles we've got - 7 kids total from 5 down to 1. Eventually we will be 'moving up' to bigger places like GWL as the kids get older and become better swimmers.

Regards,
C.
Sounds like the perfect place for your little ones. We've never gone to GWL and I'd really like to go. It is just so expensive!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #2684
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I posted this on the Community forum but it was suggested that I post it here. So here it is:

Seriously considering purchasing an embroidery machine. I enjoy sewing and am thinking of starting to make DD's clothing. It is getting harder and harder to find things that fit they way they should on her. Anyway, I don't want everything she wears to be plain. I want a machine that I can make a picture on my computer and then send it to the machine and it makes it.

I am looking at the Singer Futura XL 400. It is currently on sale for $699 at JoAnn's. And from what I am reading I can get a pretty good area to embroider if I purchase larger hoops.

Can I use a downloaded font like Disney font with a machine?

Can I just grab clipart and use that for a pattern?

The other machine I was looking at was a Brother but it is not getting the best of reviews.

Any advice is helpful! I will add that it has been close to 10 years since I have sewn so everything is kind of brand new all over again.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #2685
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
I posted this on the Community forum but it was suggested that I post it here. So here it is:

Seriously considering purchasing an embroidery machine. I enjoy sewing and am thinking of starting to make DD's clothing. It is getting harder and harder to find things that fit they way they should on her. Anyway, I don't want everything she wears to be plain. I want a machine that I can make a picture on my computer and then send it to the machine and it makes it.

I am looking at the Singer Futura XL 400. It is currently on sale for $699 at JoAnn's. And from what I am reading I can get a pretty good area to embroider if I purchase larger hoops.

Can I use a downloaded font like Disney font with a machine?

Can I just grab clipart and use that for a pattern?

The other machine I was looking at was a Brother but it is not getting the best of reviews.

Any advice is helpful! I will add that it has been close to 10 years since I have sewn so everything is kind of brand new all over again.
First, welcome! You'll find lots of inspiration and ideas here!

No, you cannot just send a picture to the machine. A file has to be specially digitized to create a design. However, there are 10s of thousands of designs available through many different digitizers online, so almost anything you might want to add is probably available. If you really love embroidery and applique, you can learn to digitize yourself, but very few people start out doing that. There is a steep learning curve, and using already produced designs from many different digitizers can help in understanding how digitizing works.

Fonts can be purchased and used as individual files OR text can be added through some embroidery software (ex: Stitch Era Universal) with varying results. Purchased fonts are generally more reliable than using text in a program.

I can't remember if anyone on here has the Singer you're speaking of. Most of us have some type of Brother machine, with many of us starting with the Brother PE-770 as our entry level machine. The larger field of the Singer is tempting, but the machine doesn't get consistant reviews. It's totally an individual decision, though. If you can personally 'test drive' several machines, you'll get a feel for what you're most comfortable with.

Hope that helps a little bit! Good luck making the decision!
Regards,
C.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: