Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #2657
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
So far so good. Sorry it's been a trial for you. Commercial patterns can be a bit problematic. Hope you can get it done on time. I'm sure it will be lovely once it's all done. Then you can breath a sigh of relief. Keep up the good work!
I usually put together commercial patterns with ease. It's the only kind I've done so far. It's coming along with a few issues but I think it looks great so far.

The rag quilt look great, I know she will love it !

The other quilt is cute too.

The clothes with the ruffle arms are cute but I LOVE the pants with all the scraps look at the bottom.

I can't help anyone with a serger because I bought mine used and have not used it yet.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #2658
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
My first serger was a brother 1034d and I hated it i was always having a problem with it. My replacement was a Janome 11000dx and I adore it. It is a much better quality machine . It is also 3 times the price of the brother.

Ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen7079 View Post
That is good to know, I was looking at the Brother 1034d, but only because of the price. I don't mind spending more, but I want to be sure that I have to iykwim. I was looking at the babylocks, but I don't want to spend $2,500 if I don't have to.

Off to check out Janomes.

Jennifer
I bought the 1034D based on good Amazon reviews and have been happy with it. I have only used it for a dozen or so projects, but I find it easy to use and easy to thread after I figured it out the first time. I signed up for an online class from Craftsy but haven't had time to even start it yet.

Quote:
Why oh why am I having so many problems finding boy fabric I love for this next trip

Nothing has been speaking to me.
Have you tried spoonflower.com? I had the same issue so I made my own: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1606588
If you search "disney" you can see a lot of haunted-mansion inspired, and some other Disney-inspried fabrics. I sort of like the abstract references, like the geodesic Epcot-ish print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I usually put together commercial patterns with ease. It's the only kind I've done so far. It's coming along with a few issues but I think it looks great so far.

I think this looks amazing. But I read your blog post and it made me SO GLAD I have boys. I lost count of all those skirt layers!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #2659
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Hi! I finally uploaded photos of the baby quilt I did.

Not Disney, but surely fit for a princess.

I adored the little princess fabric and based the whole quilt on that. It was a real pleasure to make, and was gifted to one of my DIS friends who is expecting her first baby in a couple of weeks.

A beautiful quilt, I'm sure your friend will treasure it.

Quote:

The rag quilt look great, I know she will love it !

The other quilt is cute too.

The clothes with the ruffle arms are cute but I LOVE the pants with all the scraps look at the bottom.

I can't help anyone with a serger because I bought mine used and have not used it yet.
That is a beautiful dress.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #2660
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen7079 View Post
Thanks! As I tend to forget auctions I went ahead and bid.
Try signing up at Auctionsniper.com. I love using it. It makes buying things on auctions so simple. Plus you can't get carried away and overbid.

Quote:
This is the dress that I am working on for my neighbors grand-daughter. So far it's a pain but some of that is my fault and the rest if the directions that make no sense at all. It looks like it will come out okay though. Still more to do....

http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspo...ss-part-1.html
Wow, looks just beautiful so far. I think the little girls is going to flip out when she sees it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarker View Post
I am making wristlet key fobs for FE gifts for our upcoming cruises.

I bought 1.25" key hardware.

Problem: I cannot find 1.25" webbing, ribbon, or twill tape. Ugggh. Actually I found some on Amazon, but they wanted more for shipping and handling than the webbing cost.

Any suggestions about what I can do to make these key fobs?

TIA. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Instead of making with with webbing, make your own straps with fabric lined with a heavy interfacing. That way you can use all kinds of cool Disney fabric. Also, did you try looking on Etsy? I found this right away:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/10041017...-of-125-medium

Quote:
Why oh why am I having so many problems finding boy fabric I love for this next trip

Sorry you haven't found exactly what you have in mind. I usually buy what is on sale and then figure out what I want to make with it. I am just finishing up 12 pairs of boys' shorts and matching t-shirts. I hope to post some pictures this weekend.

Quote:

It looks awesome!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #2661
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I think this looks amazing. But I read your blog post and it made me SO GLAD I have boys. I lost count of all those skirt layers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
That is a beautiful dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Wow, looks just beautiful so far. I think the little girls is going to flip out when she sees it.

Sorry you haven't found exactly what you have in mind. I usually buy what is on sale and then figure out what I want to make with it. I am just finishing up 12 pairs of boys' shorts and matching t-shirts. I hope to post some pictures this weekend.

It looks awesome!
Thank you all for the compliments. I can't believe how much I have left to do on it or that I am considering adding some kind of sleeve flutter thing out of the tulle too. Yes, I am crazy but my friends love me that way.

My boys are not waiting for me to make anything for them. My DD16 has a lot of things in mind though now that see's I really can sew.

I have a 9 month old niece and one due in May and I am looking forward to making them some great dresses. I get to star by making my first niece's 1st birthday dress next month. Yay !! I'm going to make it special and give it to her early so she can get her birthday pictures done it maybe.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #2662
nannye
DIS Veteran

Forgive me if I've already asked here I'm having a hard time keeping everything straight and don't get on this board near as much as I'd like.

I'm in search of some scrapbooking related embroidery designs, and wondering if anyone has seen any out there?

Thanks
Erin

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #2663
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Has anyone used sheets for making clothes?

I started buying some at the second hand store when I found a flat twin Toy Story sheet. Last week I found a striped one that had some nice colors in it. They are much cheaper than fabric at the store.

I'm going to make some dresses with the Toy Story sheet for my nieces to wear on Toy Story night on the cruise.

I kind of feel like I'm the governess (Maria) from the Sound of Music making clothes out of sheets and pillowcases!
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #2664
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

I started buying some at the second hand store when I found a flat twin Toy Story sheet. Last week I found a striped one that had some nice colors in it. They are much cheaper than fabric at the store.

I'm going to make some dresses with the Toy Story sheet for my nieces to wear on Toy Story night on the cruise.

I kind of feel like I'm the governess (Maria) from the Sound of Music making clothes out of sheets and pillowcases!
I used a Dalmations sheet to make a skirt. They had already been made into curtains when I bought them. It came out cute but it wasn't much fabric.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #2665
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

A Minnie-inspired Jamie dress

A retro Mickey Jamie dress

Hopefully these pictures will get your creative juices going!
I know you posted these before, but I have to quote them again because I just LOVE them! If I ever get around to making myself something I think that will be the first pattern I buy for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Well, this is the dress I made for Christmas for my Niece who is 5. She just got back from her first trip to wdw. I never got to see her in this to see if it even fit her. I still wasn't sure if it fit her until my MIL just told me she did wear it. I can't wait to see pictures soon. She did say that my niece loves the dress (Ariel is her favorite). And while at wdw, a few people asked where she bought it, so that is an awesome compliment. This was my first ever Grace dress.

And thank you to smile5sunshine for the pep talk that this pattern was doable. I read it over and over and then it finally made sense while I was putting it together.

That turned out beautiful! I love the colors in the fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Again I am behind! I adore that Ariel dress! Is it a Grace? I just purchased the pattern.

Someone asked about the four parks dress I made, it is a Stripwork Jumper but I modified the panels. I just finished this one which DD loves! I modified the straps and panels again:
Front

Back:

I am phone posting and am sorry if these are large!
Very pretty and my what a lot of applique work! You must have put a lot of time into that dress -- well worth it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

On other exciting news: DH and I may be planning a September trip! DH just said to me the other day, would you like to go to Night of Joy? I am just super excited as music is a big part of worship for us (he sings in our church's selected voices choir). Now hopefully we can get free dining and airfare that doesn't cost a fortune. I guess we should have booked that bounceback when we were there last year, but we honestly didn't think we would go during the times they specified. I guess there may be new Disney outfits for me afterall!
That sounds like a wonderful time to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
Such great creations being posted!

Ive got a couple of non Disney items I made for Christmas and finally have time to post.

I made my DD's BFF a rag quilt. The poor kid has a real pip for a Mom. I wanted the kid to know someone thinks she's worth making something special for.

And here are a few of the tissue holders I made. I think I did 48 and have learned that even though my day job is stressful I shouldnt give it up and try to earn a living making things.

I'm working on another rag quilt. Almost done with the sewing. If the snow forecasts are accurate this weekend should be a good time to do the cutting on the seams.
I love the rag quilt! I made one for a big give and one for my dogs, but I would love to do one for each of my kids too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Hi! I finally uploaded photos of the baby quilt I did.

Not Disney, but surely fit for a princess.

I adored the little princess fabric and based the whole quilt on that. It was a real pleasure to make, and was gifted to one of my DIS friends who is expecting her first baby in a couple of weeks.

Just beautiful and I love the princess fabric as well -- it's adorable!

Quote:

And to think I was going to suggest the other pattern you posted but I'm so glad you picked this one -- it's stunning!

Quote:

I have never used them but I've seen a couple of things others have made with them and the outfits all looked great. I look every time I go to the thrift stores, but I guess I don't go often enough to find anything.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #2666
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a 9 month old niece and one due in May and I am looking forward to making them some great dresses. I get to star by making my first niece's 1st birthday dress next month. Yay !! I'm going to make it special and give it to her early so she can get her birthday pictures done it maybe.
I love making stuff for my niece. Basically because I can make anything that I feel like making. Can't wait to see the birthday dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I'm in search of some scrapbooking related embroidery designs, and wondering if anyone has seen any out there?

Thanks
Erin
I haven't seen anything but did you try emblibrary? They seems to have a huge variety of designs.

Quote:

Beth, who used to be on here all the time was a huge thrift store shopper and she bought sheets all the time to make into stuff. In fact, for Christmas this year she made all of her granddaughters flannel nighties out of a set of flannel sheets that she bought at the thrift store. And she just made a kimono for her a granddaughter for her birthday party out of something she found at a thrift store too.

I just made a dozen pairs of t-shirt shorts with t-shirts that I got at the thrift store. If it has cute material, I so go for it!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #2667
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero

Totally hear you, very tricky once they get to age 5-6 (and beyond). I feel like I am "shorting" DS for our upcoming trip. What characters does your DS like? There's some cool new Star Wars fabric at Joann that DS really liked. I made at water bottle carrier and will probably make a draw string pack for him too. DS also adores Stitch, and while I didn't find Stitch fabric (other than on Etsy) I did decide to make home an appliqued tee - not too complicated. I wanted to make some Hawaiian shorts to go with, but found some on Lands End at the end of last season so I went the ready-made route instead. DS is also into Legos, but I don't know that I've ever seen Lego "themed" fabric (Ninjago, Chima, Star Wars, etc.)?

That said, I would also recommend looking for a Disney Tee and maybe fabric for coordinating shorts? It's really tough once they grow out of the toddler stage honestly. Why can't they just stay little! I do like the one shorts pattern I've seen on here from YCMT - great way to repurpose 2nd hand tees. Good luck!

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #2668
cogero
DIS Veteran

My son is nonverbal and autistic so I generally dress him in what I want. I make his pants because he is very sensory and lots of storebought things set him off.

I don't generally use Disney prints because I find their quality lacking. I am searching for some different plaids and such right now.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #2669
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone!! A new big give was just posted!! Trevor, a star wars lover and his 4yo twin sisters!!!! Please come and help to bless this family with some pixie dust! They surely deserve it!!! Thanks so much!!! Please join in if you haven't ever before!!!!

Wendy

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #2670
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

Hello you talented ladies. I just wanted to let you know I have been so inspired by reading the last few threads and have finally worked up the courage to do some sewing for my almost 3 year old twins for our trip this summer.

I just wanted to say I am so impressed and inspired with all of your creations.

Kelly
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: