Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #2551
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMom4 View Post
I love the water bottle holders. They are great!

Here are a few things I've made this week:

These are purchased dresses and I added the appliques:

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #2552
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope this work as I don't post many pictures on here. :D
Awesome! I second the pattern question. Not that I'd use it. I like winging it way to much.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #2553
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post

Sorry that is happening but I don't have any idea on how to fix it. Maybe someone else will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post

I have not had that problem. Have you cleaned it out, maybe there is a stray thread or something getting in the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
I have the exact same problem. I just clean the bobbin area super well and then it's OK again for awhile, but then the problem comes back. I'm wondering if something should be oiled

ETA my machine is getting close to two years old and I've never had it in for a cleaning. It needs to go in, but I can't afford to take it in right now. Also scared it will come back in worse shape -- that happened to Nini once (at least I think it was Nini).
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post

How frustrating! So sorry you're having this trouble. I think if you clean the area, it would help. My husband uses "canned air" to clean our computers once in a while and I think that would work great on the bobbin area. It's a can of, well, air that is pressurized and it comes with a long straw-like attachment to get into tiny crevices and just blow them out. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

I am sorry to hear that your machine is giving you problems. I don't have any suggestions for you other than cleaning the machine. It may be lint getting caught somewhere?

Thanks for all the responses. I did clean the bobbin area out, but it still is happening. It only happens when I embroider, not when I sew. I may try some of the canned air. Also, I joined the facebook group for brother embroidery machines so I'm going to post over there, too!

Thanks again!
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #2554
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

The dresses look great, what a terrific find! I really like the outfits also, perfect for warm weather!

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #2555
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

Those turned out great! I made one for our last trip - and I really liked it.

Quote:

I love everything Diane... but my favorite is the Mike dress... Seriously - if I could find a dress like that in my size, I would LOVE to wear it to Disney - that is adorable!

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #2556
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Those are fabulous -- I like the drawstring cinch closure.

Quote:

Beautiful work -- I am going to have to show those tops to my dd and see if she might like something similar for the summer. They wouldn't be allowed at school though b/c we have a dress code that doesn't allow spaghetti straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I love everything Diane... but my favorite is the Mike dress... Seriously - if I could find a dress like that in my size, I would LOVE to wear it to Disney - that is adorable!

D~
Come on D -- you could squeeze into that!

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #2557
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

D~
Thanks! As soon as I saw the dress, I immediately thought of Mike. The green straps were jus the right color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Beautiful work -- I am going to have to show those tops to my dd and see if she might like something similar for the summer. They wouldn't be allowed at school though b/c we have a dress code that doesn't allow spaghetti straps
My niece also can't wear it to school but I thought it would be perfect for summer. The best part is the pattern is FREE on the Oliver +S website. And the shorts are just easy fit shorts that I modified to add the ruffles. And each outfit ended up costing under $5 because the fabric is some of my Labor Day bargain fabric. The elastic in the pants and the at the back of the top cost almost as much as the fabric.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #2558
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
I agree that the water bottle holders are so cute ! I also love the infant pants.

Such cute clothes and great bought dresses. Totally Disney inspired.

I'm supposed to be making my DD some collars but I have been cleaning up he house to sell instead. I am being commissioned to buy some fabric today and start on a new dress in a size 5 for my neighbors grand-daughter for her birthday. She says she loves Tinkerbell and her grandfather says she is all about the princesses so I can have fun with it. I am thinking I will use this pattern...

but torn between that one and this one...

both using this fabric

Any opinions ? I wish they had a pattern sale going on right now ! And I really should be cleaning out my house more. maybe I'll cut on Friday so I can cut out my fabric for the RTW contest too.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #2559
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Great job on the water bottle holders! Love all the fabrics you selected too! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

I love everything you've done! Now, see, I would have passed by that fabric of the first two and not seen the potential there. You have a great eye for fabric. I'll have to think outside my "ordinary" box next time I go fabric shopping!

Quote:
Thanks! As soon as I saw the dress, I immediately thought of Mike. The green straps were jus the right color.

My niece also can't wear it to school but I thought it would be perfect for summer. The best part is the pattern is FREE on the Oliver +S website. And the shorts are just easy fit shorts that I modified to add the ruffles. And each outfit ended up costing under $5 because the fabric is some of my Labor Day bargain fabric. The elastic in the pants and the at the back of the top cost almost as much as the fabric.
I hear you on the elastic costing almost as much. I bought special buttons for a bowling shirt that DID cost more than the fabric and the trim for my DGD's Rapunzel dress was twice as much per yard as the fabric (and I used nice fabric, not costume fabric!)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #2560
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I'm supposed to be making my DD some collars but I have been cleaning up he house to sell instead. I am being commissioned to buy some fabric today and start on a new dress in a size 5 for my neighbors grand-daughter for her birthday. She says she loves Tinkerbell and her grandfather says she is all about the princesses so I can have fun with it. I am thinking I will use this pattern...

both using this fabric

Any opinions ? I wish they had a pattern sale going on right now ! And I really should be cleaning out my house more. maybe I'll cut on Friday so I can cut out my fabric for the RTW contest too.
Either of the dress patterns would be adorable done up in that Tink fabric IMHO. Maybe the second one would showcase the fabric a bit better with its straight lines. Also, if time is short, the second one looks to be a bit quicker to sew. Good luck, I know you'll do a wonderful job!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #2561
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Hi

I haven't posted anything in a long while, but I lurk here pretty much daily. I love so many things that it is hard to keep up!

I won't repaste pictures/quote but I wanted to say I love so many things lately!!!

PrincessMom4 - love the waterbottle holders with the drawstrings! I just made 2 holders (Minnie-inspired for me, Star Wars for and DS) and they are so funny (I such a sewing novice), but they'll do the trick. I used a strap instead, but now seeing your drawstring appraoach... I'll try to post pictures soon.

DianeMom2 - Love the halter tops! Is that the Oliver + S pattern? The dresses are super cute to. Did you make the dresses too?

DisneyChic2 - love the Mickey Hat shirts and the cute Chevron background in your pictures!

And, a long time in coming... Scrap_heaven - DD would die if she saw the Tiana dress, very cute!

OK, so here are a few creations from (gasp) last Fall I thought I share. I've been working on other things since, but haven't taken the pictures which would then have to be loaded to my work PC (home is SO slow) and then posted. It a process... so I lurk and enjoy most of the time.

Oliver + S Ruffle Halter (free pattern) - Jessie Cowgirl
I also love the popover dress pattern
Shorts - Once Upon A Child/Target Mossimo
Front:

Back:

Modeled by DD (she was a size 5 when this was taken, made it in size 6 for October trip):

Also bought a super cute coordinating Jessie Cowgirl hair clip from MaddieBsBoutique on Etsy.

Stitch shirt for DS - hand-appliqued (this picture is pre-sewn, but it turned out well and DS loves it)

key fobs/pocket purses - longwaitforisabella.com (lanyard and key fob pattern). The Lanyards and Goofy have not yet been finished, and there's also another Tigger pocket purse in the works for DS. I am making 2 for DD and DS each, Red Minnie-inspired for me, Goofy for DH.

I also bought a two-zip hipster pattern on Etsy from Erin Erickson . I have material cut out for a vintage-inspired Mickey/Minnie hipster for our trip using the same pattern. I love how this turned out! Thank you to D~ for the inspiration to try out a hipster, your bags are awesome!!!

Thanks for viewing!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #2562
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

both using this fabric

Love the Tink fabric. I've bought it before and used it for a few things. I like both versions of the dress. I think that the first one is more "princessy" because of the puffier skirt. But I don't like that they cut the material into sections for the top part. It is going to ruin the pretty pattern in it. What about buying a pattern from Youcanmakethis.com? Here are two that I think would work great:
The Lauren dress:
https://www.youcanmakethis.com/produ...uren-dress.htm
Or this Olabelhe pattern:https://www.youcanmakethis.com/produ...llas-dress.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I love everything you've done! Now, see, I would have passed by that fabric of the first two and not seen the potential there. You have a great eye for fabric. I'll have to think outside my "ordinary" box next time I go fabric shopping!

I hear you on the elastic costing almost as much. I bought special buttons for a bowling shirt that DID cost more than the fabric and the trim for my DGD's Rapunzel dress was twice as much per yard as the fabric (and I used nice fabric, not costume fabric!)
I think I was attracted to the bright colors in the fabric and that it was a nice seersucker so it would be cool for the summer. I have two more prints that I bought at the same time. I am still trying to decide what I will make them into.

I remember the adorable buttons on the bowling shirt. They really made the shirt extra special. Sometimes it is worth it to spend that extra amount on the finishings. And your Rapunzel dress was spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post

DianeMom2 - Love the halter tops! Is that the Oliver + S pattern? The dresses are super cute to. Did you make the dresses too?
No, I didn't make the dresses. They were just a super find at Walmart. They were only $5.97 for each dress. I couldn't have sewn them for that price!!

Quote:

Oliver + S Ruffle Halter (free pattern) - Jessie Cowgirl

Modeled by DD (she was a size 5 when this was taken, made it in size 6 for October trip):
I love your Jessie top. I was just telling my daughter that I was going to use some of the fabrics that I have to make a very similar top. I've been trying to figure out how I could add an applique to it too. I liked the Ruffled halter top. Next time, I am going to add about 3/4 of an inch in length to each of the ruffles because I'd like them to overlap a little more. I also didn't like the unfinished seams from the ruffles so I serged with a decorative flatlock stitch and that got rid of the unsightly, unfinished edges.

Quote:

Your Stitch shirt looks great. I've never done any hand applique. Your key fobs/purse pockets look super. I love that two zip hipster pattern. I made a couple of them last year. I have hoarded some Japanese Mickey fabric that I intend to make into a purse using that pattern but it always seems to get pushed to the bottom of my to do list.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #2563
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
both using this fabric

I think either dress would be cute, and agree with other that the 2nd dress looks way easier, but love the tulle inner skirt on the 1st - very girly.

I made a shirt for DD out of the same fabric and found some dark purple with glitter/sparkle that coordinates with it really well (at Joann, Etc.) - the fabric looked like it was sprinkled with pixie dust. My DM made a matching doll dress out of the same scrap fabric and hand sewed in some purple sequins - again more Tinker Belle sparkle.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #2564
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I love your Jessie top. I was just telling my daughter that I was going to use some of the fabrics that I have to make a very similar top. I've been trying to figure out how I could add an applique to it too. I liked the Ruffled halter top. Next time, I am going to add about 3/4 of an inch in length to each of the ruffles because I'd like them to overlap a little more. I also didn't like the unfinished seams from the ruffles so I serged with a decorative flatlock stitch and that got rid of the unsightly, unfinished edges.
I KNOW! The ruffles made me made a little mad when I finished, but I bought the fabric at a Hobby Lobby in Iowa when visiting my ILs over 2 different trips, and didn't want to start over again. The top ruffle is too short IMO. But eh, DD doesn't even notice! I wish I had a serger. I often send projects off to my DM in MI just to get that finished edge. My cow print kind of hides it/makes it less unsightly, that and I just pretend it adds rustic charm too.

Not sure where I would put an applique on the ruffled halter, maybe on the bottom ruffle to one side? staggered on the bottom 2 ruffles? That's tricky.

Quote:
Your Stitch shirt looks great. I've never done any hand applique.
I like to torture myself. I used to hand applique onesies for DD too, and now I have started a Goofy TShirt hand applique for DH now. I sit with it for days and days, something to unwind with after work.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #2565
gijules123
Earning My Ears

everything looks so cute over here so many talented people!!! Love everything!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: