Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #2416
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Anyone have a pattern or know of one for a camera strap or strap cover? I have a Canon T3 but the strap is so rough on my neck! I HATE IT!
I have this one bookmarked but haven't sewn it myself yet.
http://www.lbg-studio.com/2010/08/tu...with-lens.html

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #2417
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Anyone have a pattern or know of one for a camera strap or strap cover? I have a Canon T3 but the strap is so rough on my neck! I HATE IT!

http://www.simplymodernmom.com/2009/...-with-pockets/

I haven't made it either but I know I got it from someone on this thread and they had made it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #2418
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
The Wizard of Oz dress is finished! Completed in time to wear it to the show tonight. It was a labour of love and certainly a one of a kind piece. Lillian got tonnes of attention including catching the eye of the stage manager who brought out the Director to meet Lillian and show off her dress.

Full view front
This is absolutely amazing!

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

mrsgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #2419
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Hi, I'm brand-new here and figured I should introduce myself. I'm Christine and have 4 kids - DD almost 12, DS almost 10, DD7 and DD2.5. We're taking our first family trip to Disney World in less than a month & are very excited about it. We surprised the kids with the trip for Christmas. The last time I was at Disney was over 20 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

I can't remember where it started, but during planning & research for the trip I followed a link here... and now I want to sew! I'm in awe of so many of the wonderful creations you all have made. I've been spending my time looking over past threads to see all the beautiful clothing. So I've picked up some fabric at JoAnn's, and ordered some on-line, and bought a half-dozed patterns from YCMT. So now I need to get busy & start sewing!

I'm not a sewing novice, but don't have a serger or embroidery machine. I've mostly done Halloween costumes for my kids and some clothing here & there.

Anyway, hello & thanks for the inspiration!

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #2420
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
Andrea posted the other day on Lisa trip report. I haven't seen her over here in quite awhile though.
Glad to hear that she's been around on the Disboards. I miss hearing from her when she doesn't pop in over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did check to see that the outlet had power. I also made sure conections were solid.
The Bernina shop quoted about $200 for a new motherboard if that is what is needed. I feel that is worth it fix a machine of this cost. These machines cost thousands right?

I am so exicted by all the designs I see here on the thread and can't wait to get started. Anyone here happen to live in MD so they can tutor me?
$200 to repair a Bernina definitely seems worth it. They are usually well built machines. Will they give you a warranty on the repair? What shop are you using? Does that price also include a "tune up" on the machine?

I live in Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Well I felt ok today when I was travelling and at the meeting, then I got home and start to feel worse again. At least it was a very good meeting so I felt my time was well spent. I guess I just need to push through one more day and it will be the weekend!

I haven't heard from her since before Christmas, but at the time she said she will not be around much as she would be working quite a bit to cover holidays.
I hope she is doing ok.
Sorry that you are still not feeling better. At least the weekend is almost here! I hope you can rest and feel better.

As I said up above, I miss hearing from Andrea when she doesn't pop in over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
for those who made blankets for our Hugs from Megan Project, everyone thought they were so beautiful and the first ones were placed in the cribs for the nursery!

thank you again to all who helped out
Glad that your trip went well. It must have been very emotional for you and Megan. My girls were glad to be able to make blankets and send them. We still have one here that is not quite completed yet so let us know if you start collecting them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Andrea is a busy lady; however, she hangs out over on my thread (when she can)...or I should say OUR thread! All are always welcome. Andrea posted this morning...I miss her bunches when she is too busy!
Thanks for letting me know that you've heard from Andrea. I hope that all is well with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Glad you're feeling better. It seems everyone I know is sick, my kids have this terrible cold/cough thing that just won't go away. They cough all night which my husband can sleep through but I can't...

This is for a good friend who says her favorite color is all of them. I tried to make it as bright and cheerful as she is.

I did some machine quilting with my regular walking foot, and did each one of the "big" squares with a quilting pattern on my embroidery machine. I still need to make twin bed quilts for my kids so we can move them into said twin beds, and I think I will honestly send them out. This quilt was 64x64" and it was so cumbersome with my little ol' home sewing machine. So if anyone has ever outsourced quilting, send me a message...
I know that Nini, who used to be on here did some quilting and has one of those big machines. You could probably still contact her through a PM because she comes on here for other stuff.

The quilt is beautiful. It has been years since I did any quilting. I also found it too cumbersome with a small home machine.

Sorry that your kiddos are sick. Have you tried Mucinex? That always helped my girls and it was what the pediatrician used to tell me to give them.

Quote:
I saw that two people responded already. I haven't made one but they look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I think that's the one that Marianne made one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgryphon View Post
Hi, I'm brand-new here and figured I should introduce myself. I'm Christine and have 4 kids - DD almost 12, DS almost 10, DD7 and DD2.5. We're taking our first family trip to Disney World in less than a month & are very excited about it. We surprised the kids with the trip for Christmas. The last time I was at Disney was over 20 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

I'm not a sewing novice, but don't have a serger or embroidery machine. I've mostly done Halloween costumes for my kids and some clothing here & there.
Hi Christine and welcome to the group. You don't need a serger or an embroidery machine to make some super cute stuff for your kids. What patterns did you buy from YCMT? We love pictures of anything that you make so please post them as you complete your projects.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #2421
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

Quote:

And since I said I would share the quilt I made, and then Christmas came and went and I forgot, here it is. The photos aren't great because something is wrong with my camera and the light in my sewing room is terrible...
This is for a good friend who says her favorite color is all of them. I tried to make it as bright and cheerful as she is.

I was trying to use what I had fabric-wise so I pieced the back and I guess I measured wrong since it was not wide enough. I added the orange/green stripe on the right and it's crooked. Oh well, perfectly imperfect.

I did some machine quilting with my regular walking foot, and did each one of the "big" squares with a quilting pattern on my embroidery machine. I still need to make twin bed quilts for my kids so we can move them into said twin beds, and I think I will honestly send them out. This quilt was 64x64" and it was so cumbersome with my little ol' home sewing machine. So if anyone has ever outsourced quilting, send me a message...
Love the quilt! For the twin quilts I would reccommend using the "quilt as you go" method. Basically you piece the top in managable squares and then for each square, put your batting on the back and quilt those two layers however you want. When you get all your managable squares pieced and quilted, sew them together. Then you will have your top and batting sewn to the size of a twin quilt. Then just add your backing fabric. (I often use the ultimate cheat and use a sheet for the backing and use a yarn tie on the corner of each big square.) I actually plan to make a quilt for my DD with the remains of the fabric I bought for disney that I did not get to (which is like 8 yards ).

And it goes without saying that the Wizard of Oz dress is amazing!
Nevada Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #2422
scrapbooksellman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman
Thanks for the replies. I did check to see that the outlet had power. I also made sure conections were solid.
The Bernina shop quoted about $200 for a new motherboard if that is what is needed. I feel that is worth it fix a machine of this cost. These machines cost thousands right?

I am so exicted by all the designs I see here on the thread and can't wait to get started. Anyone here happen to live in MD so they can tutor me?

$200 to repair a Bernina definitely seems worth it. They are usually well built machines. Will they give you a warranty on the repair? What shop are you using? Does that price also include a "tune up" on the machine?

I live in Maryland.

I am going to Bear paw fabrics in Towson. I will ask about a warranty. They mentioned a cleaning and tune up but for $90 more. Not sure I'm doing that.
scrapbooksellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #2423
cogero
DIS Veteran

If they do repair it I would have them due the tune up on a Bernina. They are great machines and are built to last. Even used they fetch a pretty penny.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #2424
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:

I can't remember where it started, but during planning & research for the trip I followed a link here... and now I want to sew! I'm in awe of so many of the wonderful creations you all have made. I've been spending my time looking over past threads to see all the beautiful clothing. So I've picked up some fabric at JoAnn's, and ordered some on-line, and bought a half-dozed patterns from YCMT. So now I need to get busy & start sewing!

Welcome !! I found this thread last year and it got me sewing for the first time. I am very new at it. I bought a serger a few months ago but have yet to use it . I don't have any fancy machines for anything else though. I know you will have sewing ! I will warn you that it is addictive and you may join the rest of us in becoming fabricaholics.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #2425
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Hi Christine and welcome to the group. You don't need a serger or an embroidery machine to make some super cute stuff for your kids. What patterns did you buy from YCMT? We love pictures of anything that you make so please post them as you complete your projects.
Thanks. I bought the CarlaC bundle pack of a-line, scallopini, and simple sweet plus the bowling shirt and the Molly peasant. I'm pretty sure I need the easy-fit pants too. I'll be sure to post pictures. Today's mail brought in 3 of the fabrics I ordered - 2 tink & a pooh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Welcome !! I found this thread last year and it got me sewing for the first time. I am very new at it. I bought a serger a few months ago but have yet to use it . I don't have any fancy machines for anything else though. I know you will have sewing ! I will warn you that it is addictive and you may join the rest of us in becoming fabricaholics.
I think that's highly likely considering I've purchased 22 yards of fabric in the past week!

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #2426
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
[SIZE="4"]
I am going to Bear paw fabrics in Towson. I will ask about a warranty. They mentioned a cleaning and tune up but for $90 more. Not sure I'm doing that.
Definitely add in the 90 dollars to do the tune up. That will make the machine really ready to go. I have my machines tuned up once a year and I pay about 10 dollars more than that. Do you live up near Baltimore? I live in Gaithersburg.

Quote:
Thanks. I bought the CarlaC bundle pack of a-line, scallopini, and simple sweet plus the bowling shirt and the Molly peasant. I'm pretty sure I need the easy-fit pants too. I'll be sure to post pictures. Today's mail brought in 3 of the fabrics I ordered - 2 tink & a pooh.
It sounds like you picked some great patterns. CarlaC's patterns are easy to follow and we all enjoy sewing them. The Simply Sweet is the most versatile dress pattern. I have shortened it and used it as a top over easy fit shorts.

It does sound like you are on the way to joining our fabric buying obsession. Today I went into Hancocks to buy a couple of solid colored knit fabrics. I found 4 other fabrics on the clearance aisle that I just HAD to have! Of course, I haven't brought them inside yet because I am not sure where I am going to put them.

Here are some pictures of the Jaden t-shorts. I picked up the t-shirts for 99 cents at the Salvation Army and then I added in the remaining fabric. For next time I know to buy adult sized shirts so that they fit the pattern better. Then I will have to add in less fabric and I will have to do less piecing. I was able to whip these shorts up in about 20 minutes after I had them cut out. I really liked this pattern and I will definitely be making more. I can also see them in girly colors with girly t-shirts.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #2427
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
Hello all, Megan and I returned from our trip to Haiti on Monday, it was a bittersweet and amazing trip, happy we were finally able to go....
I've started a TR of it the link is in my siggie!

for those who made blankets for our Hugs from Megan Project, everyone thought they were so beautiful and the first ones were placed in the cribs for the nursery!

thank you again to all who helped out
Welcome back! I am glad that you got back safely. I am glad that I had the opportunity to make blankets for the project (and got to meet you in person!) I am sure the children will treasure the gifts that were made possible because of your dedication and work!

Quote:
And since I said I would share the quilt I made, and then Christmas came and went and I forgot, here it is. The photos aren't great because something is wrong with my camera and the light in my sewing room is terrible...

I was trying to use what I had fabric-wise so I pieced the back and I guess I measured wrong since it was not wide enough. I added the orange/green stripe on the right and it's crooked. Oh well, perfectly imperfect.

You did a great job on the quilt. It is bright and cheery for sure! I have done quilts slightly smaller than a queen size mattress on my 270D and honestly I didn't find it too difficult to do. I know Nini who used to post here often has a long arm machine so maybe she can help you with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMom4 View Post
Well I have all the stuff cut out for my 6 water bottle holders and now I just have to sew them together. I am starting on a skirt and dress for our upcoming trip. We all need to look stylish at the happiest place on earth!!
I can't wait to see the water bottle holders!

Quote:

Welcome! I am sure that your family will have a wonderful trip and make lots of special memories. Please post pictures of the outfits/other items you make!

Quote:

I think that's highly likely considering I've purchased 22 yards of fabric in the past week!
You made excellent choices on the patterns. I have done the bowling shirts a number of times and the A-line a few times. I have never made a Simply Sweet (even though I have the pattern from the same bundle pack you bought) but lots of people have made beautiful outfits with that pattern (somehow I tend to go with the Stripwork Jumper which is a similar pattern). I can't wait to see what you make!

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the Jaden t-shorts. I picked up the t-shirts for 99 cents at the Salvation Army and then I added in the remaining fabric. For next time I know to buy adult sized shirts so that they fit the pattern better. Then I will have to add in less fabric and I will have to do less piecing. I was able to whip these shorts up in about 20 minutes after I had them cut out. I really liked this pattern and I will definitely be making more. I can also see them in girly colors with girly t-shirts.

Those are neat looking shorts. What a great way to make unique shorts by upcycling T-shirts!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #2428
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I know about that pattern because I did make it. Think I posted the link here too. Sewed up well, I did a solid fabric not a patchwork. Made it in Disney prints http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/...C05AD-orig.jpg. Hopefully the picture of it worked well. Easy enough to sew and dh really preferred it alot of the original one.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #2429
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Just a quick "hi" as Judy let me know I was missed over here (thank you for asking about me Diane).

I have been soooo busy doing crap and have not had time to sew or embroider a thing other than bookmarks I made for my dd's classmates for Christmas. I did clean my sewing space fairly decently last weekend though hoping to get in there this week, but time hasn't been on my side.

I promise if I get in there anytime soon I will post what I make, but I doubt I will be an active participant over here anytime this month. Hopefully Feb will take a turn for the better and I'll have more time.

I took a really quick skim at a few things and saw an AWESOME patchwork twirl dress and Wizard of Oz creation -- I may have to carve out some time today or tomorrow to go back and look at things.

I hope all are doing well

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #2430
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

First of all, WELCOME!! I am pretty new here myself, but these DISboutiquers really make everyone feel so welcome and really a part of the "family". You'll get lots of help, encouragement and inspiration, believe me!

Oh, a trip to Disney World after 20 years will be magical!! Make sure you get familiar with the parks as they are now so you don't waste precious time trying to figure out how to get where. That's the biggest thing, to me anyway, that makes a trip go more smoothly.

Can't wait to see some things you make. Have fun planning your trip and sewing.

Quote:
It does sound like you are on the way to joining our fabric buying obsession. Today I went into Hancocks to buy a couple of solid colored knit fabrics. I found 4 other fabrics on the clearance aisle that I just HAD to have! Of course, I haven't brought them inside yet because I am not sure where I am going to put them.
Uh Oh, did someone go off the wagon??

Quote:

I love every single one of these! Great idea and even better execution! Thanks for sharing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: