Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #2386
cydswipe
Mouseketeer

Dis big give

It's been SO long since I've contributed anything to a Big Give. I went to log in and can't seem to remember how to.

Any help out there for me?

I'm having some post holiday, winter blues and I think finding a project to do FOR someone would help out!

Thanks so much for your time and help!!!!
cydswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2387
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes for a speedy recovery. I am feeling much better today. I have lost my voice but at least I didn't have the pounding headache or the chills today. I hope I will feel ok tomorrow for my work trip. It's only for the day and the flights are short (we probably spend more time on the ground than in the air!) so I hope it won't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Flora - hope you feel better quickly! And thanks for the early anniversary wishes! We were considering a Disney cruise, but after sending for the video, we realized we'd much rather go to the parks. Hoping maybe to stay at Wilderness Lodge or the Poly!

Digistitches did a comparison of HeatNBond lite and other similar products that I thought you all might find valueable. Here's the link: http://www.digistitches.com/machine-...-tutorial.html I can't wait to try out the winner since I've never found HBNL to work all that well.

Regards,
C.
I fully endorse going to Disney World for anniversary trips! Thanks for the link for fusible webbing type material comparisons. I actually just buy whatever is the cheapest and I haven't had problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I spent Sunday night on the computer looking for free patterns or ideas to make my oldest niece some more grown up looking dresses. I found one similar to this. I hope I remembered to bookmark the one I found for free!

I don't like buying patterns! I'd rather make my own.

Yes! I remembered, here's the one I found http://sewcraftcreate.com/2010/08/ma...sday-giveaway/ Just leave off the ruffles for adults or older girls.
Thanks for the link. I have to say that pattern doesn't speak to me like some other patterns, but I may change my mind after seeing more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
I am new to this world of embroidery machines. I inherited my cousin's bernina 440qe. It would be so exciting if she didn't have to die for this to happen.
I have the machine, embroidery software on a laptop, module, hoops and many different feet and the BSR attachment. I really want to get started. But the machine won't turn on. I called a dealer and they said it may need a new circut board. Has this happend to anyone??

I know of no problems with the machine before her death and of course can't ask.

Also, can you get disney designs for the machine??
Thanks for any information.
I am sorry to hear about the circumstances that led to you getting the embroidery machine. Bernina makes excellent machines so I am sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of the machine. I would make sure the power cords and the attachments are in the right place and they are well connected. Sometimes you just need to jiggle the cords a little bit to get them in the right place.

I saw that Diane has answered your question about getting Disney designs on your machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
When I was very young my mom made me lots of pretty dresses and outfits. I can remember how happy I was to wear them. But when I was about 10 she went back to work full time and stopped sewing all together. It is nice that you loved the things your mom made for you and it is really nice that you sew for her now.

So I bought this pattern a couple of days ago from a new pattern store. http://lilygiggle.com/shop/the-jaden-t-shorts/ It looks like a ton of fun. Today I went to the Salvation Army for their half price clothing sale day. I picked up 4 t-shirts for $1 each. I am hoping to turn them into some adorable shorts. I think it is going to take some creative cutting though.
I am sure you have fond memories of the outfits your mom made for you. My mom knitted lots of sweaters for me as it was difficult to find sweaters with sufficiently long sleeves. Unfortunately she doesn't knit or sew much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydswipe View Post
It's been SO long since I've contributed anything to a Big Give. I went to log in and can't seem to remember how to.

I'm having some post holiday, winter blues and I think finding a project to do FOR someone would help out!

The Big Give board moved from excoboard to proboards so you will need to sign up again if you haven't signed up after the move. You can click on the link in my signature to the new board.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2388
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydswipe View Post

You can also sign up on Facebook now too. Just look for Dis Big Give. There are no current Gives right now but I know that all of us who participate in them are itching to get started on a new one!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #2389
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I would say that I never really went through a stage when I didn't want to wear/use my mom's creations (I remember a lunch bag she crocheted for me when I was in middle school fondly). However, the funny thing is that I am now sewing for her! She will see these patterns and ask me, can you do one in my size? I made her a Rebecca dress (SisBoom pattern) a few months ago but she hadn't made any requests lately.

I go with the theory that if it is not machine washable, it doesn't belong anywhere near ME!

We LOVE pictures of everything here, from Disney outfits to non-Disney gifts (which reminds me that I should post a picture of the casserole carrier I made for my sister-in-law). Remember, rule #1 is that you can't apologize for a messy background or kids with unruly looking hair.

Unfortunately it appears that someone in my office was in a very giving spirit and gave me their germs. I hope it is not the nasty flu that has been running around and I will recover very quickly. I need to travel out of town for a meeting on Thursday so I would hate to be sick and flying!
Oh no! So sorry you may be getting sick. It's horrible to fly when you're not feeling well. Let alone being exposed to all that re-circulated air. Feel better!

I would love to see another of your casserole covers. They make such great gifts that everyone can use.

How sweet that you're now sewing for your Mom. That's adorable!

Quote:

Flora - hope you feel better quickly! And thanks for the early anniversary wishes! We were considering a Disney cruise, but after sending for the video, we realized we'd much rather go to the parks. Hoping maybe to stay at Wilderness Lodge or the Poly!

Digistitches did a comparison of HeatNBond lite and other similar products that I thought you all might find valueable. Here's the link: http://www.digistitches.com/machine-...-tutorial.html I can't wait to try out the winner since I've never found HBNL to work all that well.

Regards,
C.
Celebrating your anniversary is so fun at Disney. We celebrated our 25th in 2010 and had a ball. Of course, being empty nesters, we go just the two of us every trip. You can't go wrong with the Poly or WL. We loved WL last September when we stayed there! I'll add my early well wishes for a happy and fun anniversary!

Quote:
I spent Sunday night on the computer looking for free patterns or ideas to make my oldest niece some more grown up looking dresses. I found one similar to this. I hope I remembered to bookmark the one I found for free!

I don't like buying patterns! I'd rather make my own.

Yes! I remembered, here's the one I found http://sewcraftcreate.com/2010/08/ma...sday-giveaway/ Just leave off the ruffles for adults or older girls.
I love that pattern! I'm always looking for patterns for my DGDs and I think this one is one I'll have to try. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #2390
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:

Regards,
C.
I never found HNBL to work either and my needle always got gunked up so I am kind of afraid to the the SteamASeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
So I bought this pattern a couple of days ago from a new pattern store. http://lilygiggle.com/shop/the-jaden-t-shorts/ It looks like a ton of fun. Today I went to the Salvation Army for their half price clothing sale day. I picked up 4 t-shirts for $1 each. I am hoping to turn them into some adorable shorts. I think it is going to take some creative cutting though.
that pattern looks really cute.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #2391
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I found some more patterns and tutorials that I haven't seen before. Not sure if anyone else has posted this before http://www.sewset.com/patterns/children/dress#/page/4
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #2392
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

The Wizard of Oz dress is finished! Completed in time to wear it to the show tonight. It was a labour of love and certainly a one of a kind piece. Lillian got tonnes of attention including catching the eye of the stage manager who brought out the Director to meet Lillian and show off her dress.

Full view front

Bodice

Off to see the wizard

Wicked Witch Full view

Wicked Witch closeup

Full view back

Full view Good witch

Good Witch Closeup
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #2393
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
The Wizard of Oz dress is finished! Completed in time to wear it to the show tonight. It was a labour of love and certainly a one of a kind piece. Lillian got tonnes of attention including catching the eye of the stage manager who brought out the Director to meet Lillian and show off her dress.

Full view front

[/IMG]
Oh my Gracious it is STUNNING! I can't wait to show this to Lisa.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #2394
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven

Full view front

Bodice

Off to see the wizard

Wicked Witch Full view

Wicked Witch closeup

Full view back

Full view Good witch

Good Witch Closeup
WOW! That is amazing.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #2395
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=scrap_heaven;47141854]The Wizard of Oz dress is finished! Completed in time to wear it to the show tonight. It was a labour of love and certainly a one of a kind piece. Lillian got tonnes of attention including catching the eye of the stage manager who brought out the Director to meet Lillian and show off her dress.

Full view front

QUOTE]

Absolutely beautiful job! I'm sure your DD was very proud to wear it and how nice that it got the attention of the stage manager and director! You do great work and in such a short amount of time!! Kudos!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #2396
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I'm sure everyone already knows about the contest Disney is doing for this month. But just in case someone missed it, here's the link. You enter every day and they do a drawing every day until January 31st. Hey, someone has to win...might as well be a DISboutiquer!

http://www.disneytimesweeps.com/?cmp...dproM%7C%7C%7C
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #2397
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
I found some more patterns and tutorials that I haven't seen before. Not sure if anyone else has posted this before http://www.sewset.com/patterns/children/dress#/page/4
It looks like someone took images and instructions from a bunch of other pages online and out them here. Some of them are cute tho.

Quote:
Full view front
great job on the dress. I'm sure she looked wonderful in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I'm sure everyone already knows about the contest Disney is doing for this month. But just in case someone missed it, here's the link. You enter every day and they do a drawing every day until January 31st. Hey, someone has to win...might as well be a DISboutiquer!

http://www.disneytimesweeps.com/?cmp...dproM%7C%7C%7C
Thanks for the reminder to enter today. My head is so foggy I forgot.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #2398
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

I'm new to this thread and was hoping to ask a question about all the lovely clothing you guys make.

I've seen so many beautiful outfits with disney characters on them and wondered where do you guys get your embroidered designs? I'm working on a Brother PE-770 (it's new, I haven't figured much of it out yet) I picked this one since it does have the USB stick and place for brother embroidery cards, I know I can purcahse disney designs from brother but looking through the brother designs they aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I've seen so many outfits with mickey ears, minnie ears, mickey balloons, etc. those are the types of images I'm looking for but can't figure out how to get them to embroidery format (pes files) without figuring out digitizing software. I've looked into Embird which was suggested to me but I was told I need two software packages to do what i'm looking to do which would be around the $300 price range.

My question is are all of you making your own designs or buying them somewhere other than the brother site (which doesn't have the simple designs i'm looking for). I thought there would be a way to take JPG files and transfer or digitize them to PES files without spending another $300 on software (after the machine purchase).

I'd love to make some shirts for my family for our Disney trips, but it's looking like I might not be able to do that. I'm wondering if you guys can lead me in the right direction so I can make some lovely garments like you all!

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #2399
cogero
DIS Veteran

Welcome and congrats on your machine

Most of us get our designs on line here are a couple sites

Froufroubyheathersue

Misskenziemac

Divas doodles

Cute by Kira

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #2400
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Those are all cute dresses.

Quote:

Full view front

Gorgeous.... that came out amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
I'm new to this thread and was hoping to ask a question about all the lovely clothing you guys make.

I've seen so many beautiful outfits with disney characters on them and wondered where do you guys get your embroidered designs? I'm working on a Brother PE-770 (it's new, I haven't figured much of it out yet) I picked this one since it does have the USB stick and place for brother embroidery cards, I know I can purcahse disney designs from brother but looking through the brother designs they aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I've seen so many outfits with mickey ears, minnie ears, mickey balloons, etc. those are the types of images I'm looking for but can't figure out how to get them to embroidery format (pes files) without figuring out digitizing software. I've looked into Embird which was suggested to me but I was told I need two software packages to do what i'm looking to do which would be around the $300 price range.

My question is are all of you making your own designs or buying them somewhere other than the brother site (which doesn't have the simple designs i'm looking for). I thought there would be a way to take JPG files and transfer or digitize them to PES files without spending another $300 on software (after the machine purchase).

I'd love to make some shirts for my family for our Disney trips, but it's looking like I might not be able to do that. I'm wondering if you guys can lead me in the right direction so I can make some lovely garments like you all!

Thanks for any help.
Most of us all buy the designs from the places Chiara listed above.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: