Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #2356
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I can't wait to start sewing! I have a new computer so now I can post pictures again (the old one had no disk space).

Love seeing what everyone else has been up to.

Where would I find the Butterfly dress pattern?
Glad you got a new computer so that you can start sharing! I see that PurpleEars answered your question about the butterfly dress pattern. It is a pretty easy dress to make.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #2357
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Has anyone done the contests on pattern review ? I am entering this months contest ( one pattern many looks) but I have two things holding me back.....
1. I am torn between two patterns--- Simplicity 1922 and 1814 I am leaning towards 1922 because it has no gathering and since I have to make a couple, It seems like it would be easier.
2. I have no live model to display my dress on. I wish I did but I don't yet. What would be the best way to show them off ?

Would you enter ?

Last edited by pyrxtc; 01-07-2013 at 01:11 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #2358
Gooshy
Mouseketeer

So I guess I just jump right in? Im going to make some tops for mine and DHs trip in June. I got my pattern from youcanmakethis . com. Im going to do it in solid and Star Wars Greenprint. This is the top http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...-for-women.htm (image 5of7)

Silly of an adult to make clothes just for WDW? Thinking of making several. Were traveling with carry-on only. So smaller is better

momma ,pappa ,brother bear (8) ,sister bear(2) and cupcake
Gooshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2359
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooshy View Post
So I guess I just jump right in? Im going to make some tops for mine and DHs trip in June. I got my pattern from youcanmakethis . com. Im going to do it in solid and Star Wars Greenprint. This is the top http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...-for-women.htm (image 5of7)

Silly of an adult to make clothes just for WDW? Thinking of making several. Were traveling with carry-on only. So smaller is better
I think many of us have made stuff for ourselves for our trips, myself included.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #2360
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Has anyone done the contests on pattern review ? I am entering this months contest ( one pattern many looks) but I have two things holding me back.....
1. I am torn between two patterns--- Simplicity 1922 and 1814 I am leaning towards 1922 because it has no gathering and since I have to make a couple, It seems like it would be easier.
2. I have no live model to display my dress on. I wish I did but I don't yet. What would be the best way to show them off ?

Would you enter ?
I haven't entered any of the contests on sewing pattern review but I have voted in them. Some of the things people enter are intricate and some look simple. I think that quality and details make the difference. If you don't have a live model (which I don't either) you could order one of those hanging mannequins. They are not too expensive. I have considered it from time to time but I am always too cheap.

Quote:

Interesting that you picked this top/dress. My 12 year old daughter just asked me to make one for her for our cruise in June. I think it would be very cute and it is versatile. Since it comes in multiples sizes, I might whip one up as a cover up for myself for when we go to the beach. It certainly looks like it will be cool and comfortable to wear at Disney because it is certainly hot there in June. Lots of people do custom outfits for adults.

Also, I see that you are located in MD. Where in MD? That's where I live too.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2361
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Hello and Happy New Year. Great sewing projects as always!
I caught the flu just before christmas and did not get any of the stuff I had planned on getting done, done. I tried to push through the flu and make the family lounge pants for the holiday. I got them all cut out in 5 different sizes and set about sewing them up and then after I sewed the first leg on the first set I realized that I had only cut out one leg for each pair of pants. I just laughed because I felt so awful from the flu and decided it was a sign to just go back to bed. School is about to start back up from me so I missed my window of uninterrupted sewing but I have got to finish up the playroom curtains and also the dog outfit so I will be working on that ASAP. Happy Sewing all!
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #2362
Gooshy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Interesting that you picked this top/dress. My 12 year old daughter just asked me to make one for her for our cruise in June. I think it would be very cute and it is versatile. Since it comes in multiples sizes, I might whip one up as a cover up for myself for when we go to the beach. It certainly looks like it will be cool and comfortable to wear at Disney because it is certainly hot there in June. Lots of people do custom outfits for adults.

Also, I see that you are located in MD. Where in MD? That's where I live too.
I think I ran across your post after I posted. Funny how that pattern is popular I was also thinking of making a cover up for the pool/beach but not in Disney print. I does look like it will be light and airy for a hot day at Disney. We live in Odenton.

momma ,pappa ,brother bear (8) ,sister bear(2) and cupcake
Gooshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #2363
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Would you enter ?
I personally like the look of 1814 better but I am sure you will make gorgeous outfits with either pattern. I wonder if you can get or borrow a child size mannequin somewhere to model the dress?

Quote:

Welcome! I have made a number of outfits to wear on my trips in the past (I wear them to work when I am at home too). I posted some pictures of my outfits from our August trip a while back. I just noticed that you will be celebrating a 10th anniversary. Congratulations! DH and I celebrated our 10th during our August trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
I caught the flu just before christmas and did not get any of the stuff I had planned on getting done, done. I tried to push through the flu and make the family lounge pants for the holiday. I got them all cut out in 5 different sizes and set about sewing them up and then after I sewed the first leg on the first set I realized that I had only cut out one leg for each pair of pants. I just laughed because I felt so awful from the flu and decided it was a sign to just go back to bed. School is about to start back up from me so I missed my window of uninterrupted sewing but I have got to finish up the playroom curtains and also the dog outfit so I will be working on that ASAP. Happy Sewing all!
I am sorry to hear that you caught the flu! At least the timing meant you didn't need to take time off to recover. I have to chuckle about the only cutting one leg part as I have done that too (that or cut twice as much as needed)! I hope you can your projects done before things get too crazy.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #2364
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Happy New Year, everyone! (A bit late, I know!) After a crazy, busy December and early January, I finally have a chance to get caught up. And I'll have pics of Christmas gifts I made after that. Thankfully, it looks like only about 10 pages, so here's Catch-up Post #1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post

Cute! What was their reaction to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
First the Rapunzel inspired Simply Sweet.

Front/back

Sunshine
Those are gorgeous! How was the trip??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban26ana View Post
I made 2 twirl skirts for Chef Mickey's. Holy heck, these took forever.

Skirts for HDDR. I'm not thrilled with how long these are. I had grand plans, but they just didn't turn out how I envisioned. And I don't have enough time to change them, so this is how they stay.
Love the twirl skirts! And I think the HDDR skirts are cute! I hate that feeling though when something doesn't live up to your vision!

Quote:
Since they didn't all go to Disney, my SIL announced the other night that they would just come and stay at my house this weekend because she is off of work. I had to put my foot down and say no. My husband's recovery from surgery has been very difficult and included 4 dr visits and a trip to the ER in the last week. I am exhausted. Who just invites themselves to stay at somebody else's house? She is a great SIL and I love her a ton but this is just the wrong time! Thanks for letting me vent. I can't do it on FB because she is my friend on there.
Oh my! How inconsiderate!! I saw in a later post that they came over anyway so you had all that work to deal with. I'm very sorry! I hope both you and dh get some down time now! How's your dh doing??

Quote:
Here are the PJs I made, which are a surprise so obviously not modeled.

My poor little nephew has a unique spelling of his name so he never gets anything with his name on it. so I also got him a fleece blanket and put his name on that too.
Jen
I saw the pics of these on FB. So cute! I hope you all had a really nice visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post
So I finally started my embroidery again:

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas filled with family, love, and pixie dust!
That is beautiful and your dd is such a cutie!

Quote:
Edited to add -- I am going to have a new niece this Spring !!! My sister opened thier envelope early that had the gender inside and she is having a girl !! Another little girl to sew for !! Yay !! I can't celebrate on Facebook cuz she hasn't told everyone yet but nobody will tell on here !! :woohoo :
How exciting! Congratulations!

To be continued...

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #2365
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Catching-Up Part 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post

They both love their costumes, and felt really great in them. Our 2 year old kept saying "I inKEDible, I Dash"

Those are awesome! Love the attitude in your dd's pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
Any DISboutiquers in Southwest Michigan? I need a sewing tutor!
Aww, bummer! I'm in SE Michigan, or I'd have enjoyed helping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

Marci
Cute colors! Sorry the sizing wasn't quite what you'd hoped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I hope it's ok to post this here, it's not sewn but I did make it. I crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

That is beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen such detail in crochet before. Love it!

Quote:

Everything is lovely! We're always our toughest critics, but I think the sailor dress is terrific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Here's a few things I worked on for Christmas gifts:

Tea Towels -

Beach Towels -

and finally my first patchwork twirl dress -

Judy
The towels are all great, but that twirl dress is TDF! I LOVE the colors! Great job!

Quote:
Recently I purchased software to start combining my embroidery files to make them a little more custom (and maybe save some $ in buying text files?) and today I stitched out my first set that I put together myself.
Nice job! Those are really cute and don't scream birthday, but are festive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
So here's the Rapunzel dress I made for my 3 1/2 year old DGD. We go to Virginia on the 4th to have Christmas with our two daughters and 5 grandchildren. I'm glad I had the extra time, because I needed it!

Just WOW! So pretty! Any modeled pics yet??

Quote:

I also made him a polo shirt with the Green Lantern logo and his mom gave him a thermal with the Hulk on it so he had a big superhero birthday extravaganza.
Very nice! I think my dh would want everything you made! I owe him a couple shirts that didn't get finished for Christmas and they'll be Super Hero related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
Here is my Grandson (5months) on Christmas morning in his jammies.
Aww! Very cute - kiddo and pjs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
The front (like the blue streak in DD's hair... Christmas gift):

And two outfits I made for a friend who bought into DVC (used us as a referral) and I wanted to give her a thank you for their trip later this month:
The outfits are cute, but I LOVE that dress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse7116 View Post
So excited! I got an embroidery machine for Christmas! We, gift cards to buy what I wanted and I got the Brother PE 770. I haven't fired it up yet but was wondering what you do for thread. Do you have a particular brand you like? Purchase lots from eBay? I have some sulky small spools but wasn't sure if that was the best to start with.

Anyway, I'm very excited about my new addition and can't wait to get started!
Congrats on your new machine! I have bought from Marathon and been very happy with it, but I also use Sulky frequently, especially when I need a color in a hurry! I'm seriously considering slowly switching to all Madeira, though, because I just love how it stitches out and the sheen it has.

I lost the quote, but I love the display case and drawers! Great idea to re-purpose such an unusual item! And I'm drooling over your Mickey fabric!

To Be Continued...

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)

Last edited by ivey_family; 01-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2366
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Woohoo! I did it! Catching-Up Part 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6 View Post
Everything you shared is great, bit I am in LOVE with that Grinch set!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Lisa sang Beauty and the Beast at two separate performances in December and wore this outift both times. We LOVE it.

This gives me a chance to Thank Shannon once again for her kindness AND show off her amazing sewing skills. If I have already shared them, forgive me, they are worthy of being seen twice though.
[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Lisa is just lovely in that dress! I pray this will be a better year for all of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbell13 View Post
A towel and facecloth for part of my niece's birthday gift. The towel is in her favourite colour, pink! (This prompted her to ask me if I could redo one of her shirts because SIL tossed it.)
I'm sorry not to quote all the pics, but everything turned out great! Lots of thoughful, fun gifts!

Quote:

As a nice bonus, I got the main material in the butterfly dresses for free. When I ordered the scrap box from the Fat Quarter shop on Cyber Monday, they were delayed in shipping it to me. They were very nice and sent an email with a gift certificate code in it. So I used it to order the Berenstain Bears fabric, the Hello Kitty fabric and that surfboard fabric (which I used earlier this week). All I had to pay for was the shipping charges.
Love them all, but this one is my favorite! How great to get licensed fabrics for free! That was some nice customer service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Okay I am taking my daughter to see wizard of Oz
http://www.mirvish.com/shows/thewizardofoz/home

What pattern can I use? I have the Scientific seamstress's patterns but I am open to other pattern choices. I need to make a decision asap, as it needs to be made today.
So what did you end up with? Love those appliques!

Quote:
Aww! What a rough time to be sick! Too funny about cutting only one leg for the pants!

Quote:

Welcome to the fun and addiction! I'm another one who makes customs for myself. Go for it! We'll be celebrating our 10 year at WDW sans kiddos in 2014, so I'll be planning at least a few fun things for myself and dh!

Regards,
C.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #2367
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

And, finally, some pics of the things I made for Christmas gifts. I put the place where I got the files in case anyone is interested.

Capes, masks and armbands for my kids:
I'm a bit sad because they don't seem to like these and I spent a lot of time on them. I tossed their old, ratty capes which seems to have made these unpopular. Oops! The masks and armbands are in-the-hoop designs from Planet Applique. The Super font is also from there.

In-the-hoop play kitchen accessories for dd (digistitches)

T-shirts for my kids' cousin(frou frou):
Front

Back

An outfit for another cousin who's going to WDW in Feb. (Just Peachy)

In-the-hoop Zipper bags and keychains for the girls who watch our kids in the church nursery on choir practice night (Blastostitch and digistitches)

And shirts for good friends who are going to WDW and Sea World in April (Emb Library and frou frou)

Thanks for looking!
Regards,
C.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #2368
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

[QUOTE=WyomingMomof6;47090360][QUOTE=dianemom2;47083802]

I know how you've been feeling. My girls don't want me to make anything for them and haven't for several years. However, somebody in another sewing group posted a picture of a dress today. DD12 saw it and actually asked me to make her one for our cruise this summer! I am so excited!

Here is a link to the dress she wants me to make:
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...-for-women.htm

I LOVE that dress, it looks so cool (both meanings, lol)

I'm glad Alexa still likes me to sew for her, I'll be sad when the day comes that she doesn't. That's great that your daughter found a dress she wants! The Elle dresses are adoreable, I'll have to try that pattern. I LOVE the Berenstein Bears fabric, my kids have all loved those books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
[S left. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

What a great picture!

THANK YOU, I agree. They got back home Monday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing more.

[
[COLOR="Blue"]
QUOTE]

The Grinch top is the same pattern as the one I made for Lisa, a Simply Sweet. Here is a better pic of the skirt on Christmas day, although I had intended for these appliques to be in back. I decided it was a little nit-picky to ask her to turn it around, lol
LOVE it! I thought it was a skirt, then I thought it was wide pants like Lisa's outfit...either way it is BEAUTIFUL! I am constantly turning Lisa's skirt to see the appliqués.

[QUOTE=dianemom2;47092073]
Thanks for sharing the picture of Lisa and Meagan in Haiti. My daughters made some blankets and we sent them to her for the trip. They had such a good time making them and it was definitely for a good cause.
I KNOW how much Lisa appreciated all of those blankets and how kind of your daughters to help out!
Quote:

It was hard when my kids told me that they didn't like anything that I sewed for them anymore. Maybe they are finally outgrowing that phase.
If I sewed maybe mine would get tired of them, but as it is they always love it all....especially the girls
I loved the Berenstain Bears books when my girls were little and they also loved the show on PBS. I made the dress for my niece who is in kindergarten this year and I thought it was just perfect for a little kindergarten girl.
I KNOW she was happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Thank you for sharing the picture of Lisa and Megan. I had the opportunity to meet them last year and they were such nice people. I will be praying for them as this is an emotionally difficult time for them. I hope everthing with the orphanage proceed smoothly and they will have a safe trip.

Lisa truly enjoyed meeting you and I would too if I had the chance! To quote Lisa:
The trip was amazing, heart-wrenching, happy, blessed and loving....I will be doing an update on my PTR in a couple days, need some time to reflect on our journey

I KNOW she felt the prayers.

Your Wizard of Oz set look fantastic! I am sure the granddaugther will love it when she gets to wear it. I picked up some Wizard of Oz fabric a couple of years ago from the clearance section. It's sitting in my stash, I may be inspired to do something with it at some point.

LOVE the Wizard of Oz, I hope I get to see the outfit. Diane, yours was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Lisa is just lovely in that dress! I pray this will be a better year for all of you!
Lisa LOVES to model!
Thank you so very much, I will gratefully welcome your prayers!

LOVED all of your creations, the capes are cute, as is the cooking set. Angry Birds is liked a lot by my 14 year old; she loves the yellow one and the Pig...The WDW outfit is SO cute!! And me?? I LOVE your BELIEVE shirt!
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #2369
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
Here is my Grandson (5months) on Christmas morning in his jammies.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am sorry I didn't think to take pics to better highlight the pajamas.
The pjs turned out great and what cute little chubbinx! I love to see chubby babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
The front (like the blue streak in DD's hair... Christmas gift):

I have the straps about an inch too long. I will adjust the buttons if need be but I'm hoping she will be able to wear it both in May and November.

And two outfits I made for a friend who bought into DVC (used us as a referral) and I wanted to give her a thank you for their trip later this month:
Love the dress! You did such a great job on it! And the outfits for your friend are wonderful! I know they will be appreciated!

Quote:
So excited! I got an embroidery machine for Christmas! We, gift cards to buy what I wanted and I got the Brother PE 770. I haven't fired it up yet but was wondering what you do for thread. Do you have a particular brand you like? Purchase lots from eBay? I have some sulky small spools but wasn't sure if that was the best to start with.

Anyway, I'm very excited about my new addition and can't wait to get started!
Quote:
Thanks for the thread tips! I had forgotten about Marathon! I'm a quilter and use a lot of Superior brand thread products but wasn't sure if that was the direction in which I really wanted to go.

I've also been looking at Mediera thread online.

I ordered my machine through Wal-Mart and had it shipped site to store so I could save on shipping. They had the machine at $699 at one time, but it was $597 so must have been a rollback. Either way, I'm not complaining! Didn't take quite a week to arrive at my local store and now it is patiently waiting for me while I read the instruction manual and make my decision on thread. DH was shocked that I hadn't gotten it all set up and started sewing. I still need to get some stabilizer as well, but now I need to figure out what my first project will be.

I'm looking forward to getting started, but trying not to rush into things so I don't frustrate myself by jumping in with both feet like I usually do!

Happy New Year everyone!
Congrats on the new machine!! I know sometimes, even though I'm anxious to get started, I'm a bit afraid to actually start something new, so I putz around reading and re-reading my manuals before actually diving in. I hope you are ready to give it a whirl and will soon be creating up a storm! Can't wait to see some projects from you. Have fun!

Quote:
And here are a few more.

Grinch outfits I finished for the kids. I had meant to do these last year, lol. My photographer friend took this pic so it's much better than any of mine!

I don't think I ever shared these here. Way back from Halloween! Not the most flattering pic of Connor.

Sorry I couldn't quote all your beautiful things, but WOW, you are skilled! I really love the Grinch things!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbell13 View Post
A towel and facecloth for part of my niece's birthday gift. The towel is in her favourite colour, pink! (This prompted her to ask me if I could redo one of her shirts because SIL tossed it.)

DS participated in a Secret Santa for his class at school. He asked me if I could make a "winter shirt" for the girl he got. It was a $5 limit and I lucked out on the shirt - it was only $2! The shirt was actually red not pink. See what I get for taking a picture in the dark!?!

DS also wanted a shirt for his holiday concert. And for $2, why not!

Then I did an apron for SIL. Apparently she has been miffed for quite a few months that I haven't made her anything "special". Little did she know I had been working on designing this apron and digitizing the designs for a few months to make sure they were perfect for her. When I saw the blue vine fabric in the stash that my friend gave me in the summer, I knew I had hit the jackpot and just had to find a coordinating fabric. She always brings fancy cupcakes to family events so I had to put a cupcake on it for her!

I made some Christmas hand towels for SIL and MIL. The fuzzy white stuff is the water soluble stabilizer that I washed out after I took the picture and then promptly forgot to take another picture before I wrapped them up.

A red apron I did for my FIL who would BBQ everything if he could. The place that had the shirts for $2 had these aprons for $3. Another awesome deal! I was a little disappointed in how much this font pulled in the apron while stitching. You could literally see the material being pulled in as the machine was stitching. I may try doing this one over again on something else to see if it is the font, the material or I just messed up when hooping it.

My BIL is right into the whole "Keep Calm" craze and he loves to cook, so I did a red apron for him too. This one turned out a lot better and I did it the same way so I think the issue on the other one is the font.

And finally, a shirt for my MIL to wear on New Years. She loves her bling so this was perfect for her!
et it snow' and the other Christmas designs came from dailyembroidery.com. The name on the towel is HeatherSue's Disney font and the heart/flower applique came from LinniePinnie. The cupcake apron and 'Keep Calm' apron are designs I digitized myself. The big font in the 'King' apron came from dailyembroidery and I digitized the small font and crown in it. Overall, I was pretty happy with how most items turned out. I still have a lot to learn about digitizing but I was really happy with how the designs I did stitched out.
Phew! You've been super busy! Everything is done wonderfully and I'm sure the recipients loved each one!

Quote:
I know how you've been feeling. My girls don't want me to make anything for them and haven't for several years. However, somebody in another sewing group posted a picture of a dress today. DD12 saw it and actually asked me to make her one for our cruise this summer! I am so excited!

Here is a link to the dress she wants me to make:
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...-for-women.htm

Now I just have to figure out if I have a large enough piece of material in my stash or if I will have to go and buy something.

Here are a few things that I finished up today:

This is Ellie Inspired's Sandpiper dress but I added the little flutter sleeves because it is usually sleeveless.

Here is a sleeveless version:

And then two more Butterfly dresses. I think I am done with this pattern for this spring. I've made like 5 of them in different materials. I might make another one or two as a blouse to pair with some shorts or capris.

As a nice bonus, I got the main material in the butterfly dresses for free. When I ordered the scrap box from the Fat Quarter shop on Cyber Monday, they were delayed in shipping it to me. They were very nice and sent an email with a gift certificate code in it. So I used it to order the Berenstain Bears fabric, the Hello Kitty fabric and that surfboard fabric (which I used earlier this week). All I had to pay for was the shipping charges.
I love everything you make! You have amazing sewing talent! I especially love the Berenstain Bears dress. How nice that your DD wants you to make something for her again. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of chances to make for her again when she is older. I made almost every prom/dance dress for both of my daughters as well as bridesmaid dresses for my youngest DD's wedding.

Quote:

Would you enter ?
First, let me say how awesome your new storage units are. It's so great to have a place for your patterns so they can easily be organized and found when you need them! I know you'll enjoy them.

As far as the contest, definitely go for it. I personally like the 1922 the best, but either one would be great. No advise on how to show them off without a live model, but I saw others have given you suggestions, so hopefully one of those will work for you. Good luck!

Quote:

It is definitely NOT silly to make clothes just for WDW for an adult or anyone! The one place in the world that you can for sure be yourself is Disney. Enjoy! And don't be afraid to wear them outside of Disney too. Who cares what others may think. If they give you pleasure and make you smile, go for it!

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your flu. So many people I know got sick over the holidays. I've been known to do something like mis-cutting even without the flu. At least you had that for an excuse! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
And, finally, some pics of the things I made for Christmas gifts. I put the place where I got the files in case anyone is interested.

Capes, masks and armbands for my kids:
I'm a bit sad because they don't seem to like these and I spent a lot of time on them. I tossed their old, ratty capes which seems to have made these unpopular. Oops! The masks and armbands are in-the-hoop designs from Planet Applique. The Super font is also from there.

T-shirts for my kids' cousin(frou frou):
Front

img]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/MiraxTHorn/th_IMG_5246_zpsb8dc31e2.jpg[/img]

An outfit for another cousin who's going to WDW in Feb. (Just Peachy)

In-the-hoop Zipper bags and keychains for the girls who watch our kids in the church nursery on choir practice night (Blastostitch and digistitches)

And shirts for good friends who are going to WDW and Sea World in April (Emb Library and frou frou)

Thanks for looking!
Regards,
C.
Everything turned out beautifully! Nice job! So sorry your kids weren't thrilled with their capes. At least they put them on. I made a cape for my DGS and he wouldn't even put it on!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #2370
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Let me start by wishing everyone a belated, but sincere Happy New Year.

We just got back last night from our "Christmas" with our two DD and their families who live in Virginia. We had a wonderful time and it was so great to experience Christmas through the eyes of our Grandchildren!

Here is my DGD in her Rapunzel dress. I didn't get a great shot of her in it with my phone, but we have some on our camera and I haven't a clue how to post from there. She wasn't interested in wearing the hair, but her hair goes down her back, so she really didn't need it! I spent the next few days playing Flynn Ryder and we had to call her Rapunzel. She took it off to eat meals, but had to put it right back on again, so all the work was worth it! Here she is, in her "tower".

And here are shots of the super hero cape I made for my DGS. He wouldn't put it on, so there are no modeled shots. The MM stands for Miles Man, which we call him all the time. And on the reverse, I just put his favorite character who, at the moment happens to be spiderman.

I also made two zippered totes for two of my DGDs to hold their LeapFrog Tag and several books. They turned out pretty cute, but I didn't get a picture of them. It was my first time to quilt fabric as well as make a bag with a zipper closure. Let me just say...I'm no D~!!! But it was a start and I look forward to improving my skills along those lines.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: