Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2311
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post
That is GORGEOUS!!!! Can you make one in my size?!?!?
Thanks! It would probably be easier to make in an adult size, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

Wow! This is a grogeous set! I hope your granddaugther will like it!
Thanks! I hope she likes it and that it fits! I'll find out Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I attempted another adult bowling shirt, only one this time instead of 4 simultaneously all with appliqués the week before we went to WDW. This was a birthday gift for my Husband who is a huge comic book/superhero nerd. I thought my boys would have spilled the beans because they saw the shirt and couldn't believe it was for Daddy and they both wanted one. I was able to find the fabric, which is quilt panels on ebay and got 4 yards, which is essentially 4 Batmans. They are huge so I am not sure how they would translate to toddler size.

Not sure what occasion he will wear it, other than regular everyday, but he asked why I didn't include admission to a Comic convention with it...

I also made him a polo shirt with the Green Lantern logo and his mom gave him a thermal with the Hulk on it so he had a big superhero birthday extravaganza.
Great job on the bowling shirt and he looks well pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
This is absolutely stunning.

You did a fabuous job on the dress, I bet your granddaughter is going to love it!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I sure hope she does. I once made an elaborate Cinderella dress for my oldest DGD when she was three and she wouldn't even touch it. Much later in the year she finally put it on and then it became a favorite and when we took her to Disney in April, she wore it all day at MK and to meet Cinderella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
That is a beautiful dress, your granddaughter is such a lucky little girl!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Just gorgeous! I am sure your dgd will fall in love with this! What a wonderful grandma to make such a special dress!
Thanks! BTW, my DH surprised me with a PED Basic and I can't wait to try it out! I had no idea he even knew I wanted that, so it was a fun surprise. Thanks for recommending it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Beautiful! My Grandma made me a dress when I was about 4 or 5, it was a cute little pink eyelet dress. My mother let my little cousin wear it, and she never gave it back. I still can remember the dress even though I was so young, it left a lasting impression on me. Your grandaughter is lucky to have someone make her such beautiful things, I am sure she will love and appreciate them forever.

Marci
Aww, that's a sweet story. It's so nice when someone appreciates all the love that goes into something hand made. Too bad you didn't get the dress back so you could have it. My Dad wore a pair of overalls when he was little and my sister, brother and I all wore them, and so far, 3 of my 5 grandchildren have worn them. It's pretty cool.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2312
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
:

Thanks! BTW, my DH surprised me with a PED Basic and I can't wait to try it out! I had no idea he even knew I wanted that, so it was a fun surprise. Thanks for recommending it!
How awesome! Just remember that when you buy the files on the internet, they come zipped. You have to unzip them and then load just the PES files that you want onto your card. You might want to set up a file folder for the designs that you purchase.

Also, if you have the storage space on your computer (or on a thumb drive) keep all the formats of the files because that way you have more options when you want to upgrade your machine. Somebody in one of my other sewing groups recently wanted to upgrade from her PE770 but she had to stick with Brother or Babylock because she had purchased hundreds of design files but only kept the PES format for them. She had really wanted the Janome machine she had seen but didn't want to re-purchase many of her designs.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #2313
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
BTW, my DH surprised me with a PED Basic and I can't wait to try it out! I had no idea he even knew I wanted that, so it was a fun surprise. Thanks for recommending it!

It's so nice when someone appreciates all the love that goes into something hand made. Too bad you didn't get the dress back so you could have it. My Dad wore a pair of overalls when he was little and my sister, brother and I all wore them, and so far, 3 of my 5 grandchildren have worn them. It's pretty cool.
Congrats on getting the PED Basic. I am sure you will enjoy the ability to use embroidery files for your work!

That's a great story about the overalls. I guess the overalls were really well made to last that long! In my family it was a T-shirt that was worn by my brother, sister, and I. I imagine there were other pieces too, but this particular shirt showed up in various pictures.

I had a great sewing weekend. I finished the casserole carrier for my sister-in-law and I made myself a new lunch bag. I will have to wait until the weekend to take pictures as I am heading back to work tomorrow. At least this work week should be reasonably quiet since most people I work with are off until next week.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #2314
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Here's a few things I worked on for Christmas gifts:

Tea Towels -

Beach Towels -

and finally my first patchwork twirl dress -

(with special thanks to Andrea for the directions she posted last summer!)

Judy
I love that dress!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #2315
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a happy new year!

Now that Christmas is behind us I am finding myself in need of a sewing project. I am not sure what I should sew now. Maybe the 2 zip hipster for my Aunt who has a birthday coming up, she really liked mine when we were in the parks last Oct.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions about making blanket sleepers. I took your advise and gave up the idea and went to Joanns for fleece, it was slim pickens but I found a white fleece with red and green mittens on it and I was surprised at how cute they turned out. The pattern was really easy to follow but runs a little small. The baby wears 6-9 months, I made the sleepers in 12 months and had to take the arms out and use the 2T arms because they were just to tight. Of course in all fairness the baby is a bit of a chunky monkey!

Here is my Grandson (5months) on Christmas morning in his jammies.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am sorry I didn't think to take pics to better highlight the pajamas.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #2316
Disney52303
Mouseketeer

Hello all and Happy New Year! I have been MIA for most of December I think It was a crazy month with travel, parties, etc. Much as I adore Christmas, I'm glad things can settle and I can be back to my normal routine (work, WW, running, sewing, etc). Our next trip (to Beach Club Villas) is still 139 days away but I made this dress this weekend for DD and I LOVE IT!!!!

And you can see in the back of the photo I bought a shoe organizer thing this weekend and color coded all my scraps, which makes them so much easier to find than the basket I had been using.

The front (like the blue streak in DD's hair... Christmas gift):

The back:

I have the straps about an inch too long. I will adjust the buttons if need be but I'm hoping she will be able to wear it both in May and November.

And two outfits I made for a friend who bought into DVC (used us as a referral) and I wanted to give her a thank you for their trip later this month:

Lots of childhood trips with family. As adult, '95 - Allstar Sports, '03 - POR (for our Disney wedding at the Poly); ASMo for one night, Magic (Western) honeymoon, '05 - joined DVC!, '07 - SSR, '08 - ASMu, '09 - SSR, Wonder, '10 - SSR for Princess half marathon, HHI, '11 - POFQ, '12 - BLT, Fantasy Western, Magic to Canada, BWV

Upcoming:
5/23-2012-5/27/2012 BCV
11/9/13-11/14/13 AKL & 11/14/13-11/17/13 3 nighter on the Dream!
10/30/14 girls' weekend on the Dream
12/27/14 NYE Eastern on the Fantasy!

Disney52303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #2317
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I had a great sewing weekend. I finished the casserole carrier for my sister-in-law and I made myself a new lunch bag.
It sounds like you got a lot done this weekend. Can't wait to see pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions about making blanket sleepers. I took your advise and gave up the idea and went to Joanns for fleece, it was slim pickens but I found a white fleece with red and green mittens on it and I was surprised at how cute they turned out. The pattern was really easy to follow but runs a little small. The baby wears 6-9 months, I made the sleepers in 12 months and had to take the arms out and use the 2T arms because they were just to tight. Of course in all fairness the baby is a bit of a chunky monkey!

[IMG][/IMG]

The blanket sleeper turned out great! I'm glad that you were able to find some cute fleece. Now you can use the flannel next year when your dgs will be toddling around and wearing 2 piece pajamas is easier than when they are infants. Your grandson is a real cutie! Love those full cheeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post

The back:

I have the straps about an inch too long. I will adjust the buttons if need be but I'm hoping she will be able to wear it both in May and November.

And two outfits I made for a friend who bought into DVC (used us as a referral) and I wanted to give her a thank you for their trip later this month:
The dress turned out great! With the way kids grow, you may not need to adjust the straps. The outfits for your friend turned out great too.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #2318
Mouse7116
Earning My Ears

So excited! I got an embroidery machine for Christmas! We, gift cards to buy what I wanted and I got the Brother PE 770. I haven't fired it up yet but was wondering what you do for thread. Do you have a particular brand you like? Purchase lots from eBay? I have some sulky small spools but wasn't sure if that was the best to start with.

Anyway, I'm very excited about my new addition and can't wait to get started!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #2319
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hello all and Happy New Year! I have been MIA for most of December I think It was a crazy month with travel, parties, etc. Much as I adore Christmas, I'm glad things can settle and I can be back to my normal routine (work, WW, running, sewing, etc). Our next trip (to Beach Club Villas) is still 139 days away but I made this dress this weekend for DD and I LOVE IT!!!!

And you can see in the back of the photo I bought a shoe organizer thing this weekend and color coded all my scraps, which makes them so much easier to find than the basket I had been using.

The back:

Your daughter and her new dress are adorable. And those are very cute thank you gifts.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #2320
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post

Crochetcabana.com has great tutorials and there are bunches of helpful videos on youtube. I would also suggest checking out crochetville.org where there are many helpful and friendly people. Ravelry.com is also another great forum for crochet and knitting.
Thank you so much. As soon as I get to the store to get a few starter supplies I will start watching some of the videos on crochetcabana. She has alot of great information on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

I can't help with specifics but my dd wanted to learn to knit and she watched a bunch of videos on youtube. It really helped her. I know you can't watch youtube at work but if you watch at home before you go, it might help.
Thank you! My plan is to watch some videos to get started and get familiar with everything. Then I will start with some squares or an easy pattern I can just print up and bring in. Maybe even down the road when I get better I can do hats or something for the gives instead of sewing and get those done while I'm at work

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

He certainly is a chunker but oh so cute. Great job!!

Quote:

The back:

I love the dress, and love that it works for any of the parks!! The other outfits looks great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse7116 View Post
So excited! I got an embroidery machine for Christmas! We, gift cards to buy what I wanted and I got the Brother PE 770. I haven't fired it up yet but was wondering what you do for thread. Do you have a particular brand you like? Purchase lots from eBay? I have some sulky small spools but wasn't sure if that was the best to start with.

Congrats on the new machine!! I got a 770 for Christmas too! I ordered the 50 most popular colors from Marathon. Soon I will probably get the next 50 most popular colors. I know some on here get thread through Threadart. I will probably start ordering stabalizer online because I discovered Joann's doesn't always have the stablizer I need in stock. The first time I went in they had tear away but not cut away. The next time I went in they had the cut away but not the tear away. I hope you have as much fun as I've been having with mine.

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2321
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

Anyone know where I can get a pattern online to make a water bottle holder??
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2322
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMom4 View Post
http://www.pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/...ottle-carrier/
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #2323
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a happy new year!

Now that Christmas is behind us I am finding myself in need of a sewing project. I am not sure what I should sew now. Maybe the 2 zip hipster for my Aunt who has a birthday coming up, she really liked mine when we were in the parks last Oct.

I am glad that you found something that worked and the sleeper looks great. Your grandson looks super cute with the sleeper!

Quote:

The back:

Happy New Year to you as well. The dress looks great and it is a good idea to have the straps a little bit longer so you can make the dress longer if need be. The outfits for your friend look great too! I guess they now have lots of opportunity to wear them with their DVC membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse7116 View Post

Congrats on your new embroidery machine. I have been very happy with the Marathon thread that I got last year. I have used Sulky and Gutermann thread and both of them work well with my machine. However, some people on here had problems with Sulky and their Brother machines.

Quote:
There are some on youcanmakethis.com, though I imagine you can draft up a pattern pretty quickly for a water bottle holder.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2324
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

[QUOTE=PurpleEars;47041954]I have never bought Disney fabric from overseas. I am always concerned that they are not offically licensed (especially from China). I simply don't want to spend my hard earned money on counterfit items. I imagine the more reputable sellers will be ok?[/QUOTE

I can bet that 99% of what you are buying off Etsy from china is not licensed. They don't have the same laws there about licenses.

Quote:
Try this one, I used a version of it to make my arrow bag and it worked great.

My DH is awesome !! he let me buy a display case for the Disney figures and bonus is it came with drawers that fit my patterns with plenty of room to add more. I can't wait to put it my sewing room when we move but right now it's in my kids playroom.

The whole thing -- it was a display for ski goggles.

My figurines -- they were just sitting on top of the TV

My patterns --- Each drawer holds about 75-100 patterns

And I got two drawer stacks, the 2nd one just doesn't have the glass on it.They both look like this on front.

Plus I was at Joann's this weekend and got a pic of all the New Mickey fabric they got in.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #2325
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
You stole my link... hahaha I was busy writing and being distracted by TV.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: