Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #2296
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Here are the PJs I made, which are a surprise so obviously not modeled.

My poor little nephew has a unique spelling of his name so he never gets anything with his name on it. so I also got him a fleece blanket and put his name on that too.
Jen
These are great pjs! I know they will all love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiandi View Post
Just amazing work ladies. I haven't been on in forever..came back from our trip and went full blast into my online coursework. Finally finished and passed the course!!

So I finally started my embroidery again:

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas filled with family, love, and pixie dust!
Great job! And what a lovely model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Edited to add -- I am going to have a new niece this Spring !!! My sister opened thier envelope early that had the gender inside and she is having a girl !! Another little girl to sew for !! Yay !! I can't celebrate on Facebook cuz she hasn't told everyone yet but nobody will tell on here !!
Congratulations!! Someone else to sew for.

Quote:

Hope everyone had a great day and all those embroidery machines under the trees start getting some use soon. Can't wait to see what you all come up with.
Even cuter on! Love this picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
Here is the hoodie I made for my 14 year old nephew. He loves it and wore it all day yesterday and again today. You can also see my DS wearing his Ninjago hoodie I embroidered. He loves it too and wants to wear it all the time so I am happy

Quote:
Glad he liked the Hoodie. Mine went over really well too. I convinced my two and my nephew to all wear their Incredible Hulk Hoodies Ice skating today. They looked very cute together. My little guys LOVE looking like their big cousin.

And yes, this is about the best I was able to get all 3 looking in one direction.
What cutie pies! Great job on the hoodies, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Just starting to plan our 2013 trip to Disney, in October or November. We are trying to decide when free dining will be.

These are amazing. What a great job you did! How fun to be planning a trip to Disney. That's the big question always...when will free dining be available??? Good luck and happy planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
I just dropped by to say hello to everyone, and to show my latest learning experiment. I hope everyone is having a terrific holiday season. DH got me a serger for christmas, so I am looking forward to pulling that beast out and trying to figure it out. I am a bit intimidated by it, but found a class on craftsy which is giving me enough confidence that I think I will try it tomorrow. I love all the new stuff that has been posted lately, sorry I have been non existent on posting coments, most the time I am surfing the disboards from my cell, and I hate typing on the little keyboard. Here is the only thing I have been able to accomplish lately, and it defintately has its flaws, but it is still wearable. I finally learned how to put bottonholes in, and thank you to whoever recommended Carla C's tutorial, it helped a lot. Thanks to the tutorial, you tube, and my manual, it turned out to be super simple, I even learned how to sew the buttons on with the machine, you will be seeing more button holes in the future on my stuff. As far as the rest of it, the shirt was from a pattern, and when it came together, it was ENORMOUS, I could have fit two of me in it. I need to learn how to better adjust patterns so it fits my measurements. I tried to take it up a bit, but it is still big, but that is ok, makes for comfy jammies. The shorts were a snap, they were Carla C's easy fits, and I love making those, they come together so quick and easy. Anyway, this is how they came out...

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

I hope you all have a happy safe new year!

Marci
Cute jammies! Sorry the top is too big, but for jammies it's ok for sure. Glad you are now comfortable with buttonholes and buttons. That opens up a whole new world for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I hope it's ok to post this here, it's not sewn but I did make it. I crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

Are you kidding me?? That is awesome! What a lot of work that must have been. A true labor of love. Hope your son-in-law appreciated it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I just took pictures of the things that I finished today. I've been working on the sailor dress forever. I started it right around the time DH went in for surgery and I finally finished it today. I am not thrilled with it. I used a pattern that I already had and altered it myself to add the sailor collar. It wasn't really a smooth alteration and there are several small mistakes that I can easily spot. It also turned out longer than I intended and I put a couple of pleats in the skirt to shorten it.

Here is another dress that I made from the butterfly pattern that I bought last month on YCMT. I also made a matching t-shirt.

I think you did a great job on the sailor dress. We tend to see only our mistakes when we make things. I'm the same way. But it looks good! And I love the surf board outfit/shirt...very cute! And great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Here's a few things I worked on for Christmas gifts:

Tea Towels -

Beach Towels -

and finally my first patchwork twirl dress -

(with special thanks to Andrea for the directions she posted last summer!)

Judy
Absolutely love the tea towels and beach towels! What a wonderful job you did on all of them. And that patchwork twirl...are you kidding me? Fabulous!

Quote:
Recently I purchased software to start combining my embroidery files to make them a little more custom (and maybe save some $ in buying text files?) and today I stitched out my first set that I put together myself.

I like the way these turned out, and they are birthday-ish without being overly so, hopefully they can wear them whenever. I also like that they go together without matching, which is tough to find for Boy/Girl twins.

These are for the last of the twin friends' birthdays until July, thankfully. They are the 5th set in our playgroup to have birthdays since the 1st week in November. Whew! I made shirts for all of them, and in September I made matching simply sweet dresses for the only twin girls in the group. The rest are boy/girl and mine are boys.
These are adorable! You did a great job and I'm so impressed you are braving the world of making your own designs. Have fun!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #2297
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

So here's the Rapunzel dress I made for my 3 1/2 year old DGD. We go to Virginia on the 4th to have Christmas with our two daughters and 5 grandchildren. I'm glad I had the extra time, because I needed it!

Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #2298
Yoshiandi
Just working for my next Disney fix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
So here's the Rapunzel dress I made for my 3 1/2 year old DGD. We go to Virginia on the 4th to have Christmas with our two daughters and 5 grandchildren. I'm glad I had the extra time, because I needed it!

That is GORGEOUS!!!! Can you make one in my size?!?!?

Yoshiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #2299
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tea Towels -

Beach Towels -

Judy
Looks like you have been busy! The tea towels and beach towels are such practical gifts. The dress looks fab. Hopefully the recipient likes it too!

Quote:
Recently I purchased software to start combining my embroidery files to make them a little more custom (and maybe save some $ in buying text files?) and today I stitched out my first set that I put together myself.

I like the way these turned out, and they are birthday-ish without being overly so, hopefully they can wear them whenever. I also like that they go together without matching, which is tough to find for Boy/Girl twins.

These are for the last of the twin friends' birthdays until July, thankfully. They are the 5th set in our playgroup to have birthdays since the 1st week in November. Whew! I made shirts for all of them, and in September I made matching simply sweet dresses for the only twin girls in the group. The rest are boy/girl and mine are boys.
The appliques look great! I am sure it is nice to have a little bit of down time before you make more birthday gifts.

Quote:
To answer you both, I ended up getting Embrilliance, which I do like. I got the $30 fonts club thing offered by 8clawsandapaw earlier in the month and so I now have 600+ fonts to play with too. The Embrilliance was one of 3 I tested, but the only one that runs natively on my Mac. The others require Windows, which we don't use, and we had to install an emulator, which was a whole different headache. Not to mention I am an odd duck when it comes to technology, I have been an systems admin and a repair technician for more than a decade but can't use Windows, I have always used and supported Macs. I like the software and the support has been good when I have submitted questions. It was more than I wanted to spend, I liked the price point of some of the others which were under $100, this was about $150, but I do like it and I have been able to put together names and other files.
Thanks for the information about the embroidery software. I may look into it when I start playing with digitizing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMom4 View Post
Yall are super talented. I am working on making more garments as right now I've done more sewing for home decor. I am working on making a sunhat for all the kids and my husband and I for our upcoming trip. Between the hats, the water bottle holder and totes that my mil is embroiderering I think we have lots of Disney goodies for this trip...lol
Welcome! Please share pictures of your work and have fun planning your trip!

Quote:

Wow! This is a grogeous set! I hope your granddaugther will like it!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #2300
4under10
Earning My Ears

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can make a Dash suit for a bitty baby twin (15 inch ) doll? My son is obsessed with Dash, begged for the blonde bitty baby twin and now has him. He keeps asking me to sew him a suit, and I don't sew. I have tried ebay and easy with no luck...please help!!!
tia--
Amy
4under10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #2301
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Batman!

I attempted another adult bowling shirt, only one this time instead of 4 simultaneously all with appliqués the week before we went to WDW. This was a birthday gift for my Husband who is a huge comic book/superhero nerd. I thought my boys would have spilled the beans because they saw the shirt and couldn't believe it was for Daddy and they both wanted one. I was able to find the fabric, which is quilt panels on ebay and got 4 yards, which is essentially 4 Batmans. They are huge so I am not sure how they would translate to toddler size.

Not sure what occasion he will wear it, other than regular everyday, but he asked why I didn't include admission to a Comic convention with it...

I also made him a polo shirt with the Green Lantern logo and his mom gave him a thermal with the Hulk on it so he had a big superhero birthday extravaganza.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #2302
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

Quote:

This is absolutely stunning.

QUESTION

I am looking for disney fabric and found some gorgeous stuff on etsy, what is your experience with Japanese and Chinese fabrics that depict disney characters?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #2303
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Glad he liked the Hoodie. Mine went over really well too. I convinced my two and my nephew to all wear their Incredible Hulk Hoodies Ice skating today. They looked very cute together. My little guys LOVE looking like their big cousin.

And yes, this is about the best I was able to get all 3 looking in one direction.
Thanks. The boys all look great in their hoodies!

Quote:
So glad that they love the hoodies!
Thanks, they both have been wanting to wear them every day. The girls also have been enjoying their purses and taking them with them everywhere. It always makes me feel good to see them enjoy the things I make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I am glad the hoodies went over well! It sounds like you had a busy time but I hope you will get a chance to relax this weekend.

We had a lovely time with family yesterday. We were over at my in-law's and we watched Brave together. We all enjoyed the movie. I got lots of wonderful gifts, including some Disney fabric. We went shopping today as the stores here have Boxing Day sales. It's our version of Black Friday. The mall was busy but it was manageable. Some stores had quite a line though. We got good deals at Williams-Sonoma (my favourite store), the Lego Store (DH's favourite store), and a couple of other places. Maybe I will go to Fabricland tomorrow to see if they have any sales, though I really shouldn't be buying more fabric!
Thank you!

Quote:
Just starting to plan our 2013 trip to Disney, in October or November. We are trying to decide when free dining will be.

But most important is what are we going to wear!!

I also thought I would show off the kids Incredible Halloween costumes, because we are in Canada it can be really really cold for Halloween so I made their costumes out of fleece. I had a pattern sort of that I followed, but really I ended up altering it so much to make it a snugger jumpsuit looking outfit that it is a 1 of a kind, well 2 of a kind I guess.

They both love their costumes, and felt really great in them. Our 2 year old kept saying "I inKEDible, I Dash"

Yeah on the trip! You did a great job on the costumes!

Quote:

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

I hope you all have a happy safe new year!

Marci
Great job on the jammies even if they are a little big. Glad you figured out button holes, they are pretty easy but they are intimidating to do the first time.

Quote:

Here is another dress that I made from the butterfly pattern that I bought last month on YCMT. I also made a matching t-shirt.

They both look great, I can't see anything wrong with the sailor dress, looks cute.

Quote:

Tea Towels -

Beach Towels -

Judy
You were busy but I love them all especially the patchwork twirl. I love all the colors.

Quote:

You did a good job on those! That is a lot of kiddos so sew birthday outfits for plus all the aprons you did for them all.

Quote:

You did a fabuous job on the dress, I bet your granddaughter is going to love it!

Quote:

I also made him a polo shirt with the Green Lantern logo and his mom gave him a thermal with the Hulk on it so he had a big superhero birthday extravaganza.
Great job!!

Quote:
I hope it's ok to post this here, it's not sewn but I did make it. I crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

That is amazing. Maybe you can help me out or anyone else. I decided to learn how to crochet. This new job I have I will be on 10 hour shifts on graveyard. I get one half hour break and two 15 minute breaks but due to staffing I will have to take them all at the same time so I will get an hour break. I can't leave the building and can't bring electronics in so no surfing the web or playing games on the phone. There's only so much on tv in the middle of the night and I don't want to fall asleep. Most of my books I read on the Ipad and can't bring that so I figured I should do something productive so why not learn to crochet. Does anyone know of any pattern/tutorials that would make learning easy. Like a CarlaC pattern but for crochet or any tips or tricks I should know?

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #2304
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is absolutely stunning.

QUESTION

I am looking for disney fabric and found some gorgeous stuff on etsy, what is your experience with Japanese and Chinese fabrics that depict disney characters?
I love Japanese fabric and have had good luck with it.

We are home from our trip and I am gearing up to work on orders and some new things.

Love all the cuteness posted.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #2305
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That is a beautiful dress, your granddaughter is such a lucky little girl!

Quote:
I attempted another adult bowling shirt, only one this time instead of 4 simultaneously all with appliqués the week before we went to WDW. This was a birthday gift for my Husband who is a huge comic book/superhero nerd. I thought my boys would have spilled the beans because they saw the shirt and couldn't believe it was for Daddy and they both wanted one. I was able to find the fabric, which is quilt panels on ebay and got 4 yards, which is essentially 4 Batmans. They are huge so I am not sure how they would translate to toddler size.

Not sure what occasion he will wear it, other than regular everyday, but he asked why I didn't include admission to a Comic convention with it...

That is a great shirt.

Quote:

That is amazing. Maybe you can help me out or anyone else. I decided to learn how to crochet. This new job I have I will be on 10 hour shifts on graveyard. I get one half hour break and two 15 minute breaks but due to staffing I will have to take them all at the same time so I will get an hour break. I can't leave the building and can't bring electronics in so no surfing the web or playing games on the phone. There's only so much on tv in the middle of the night and I don't want to fall asleep. Most of my books I read on the Ipad and can't bring that so I figured I should do something productive so why not learn to crochet. Does anyone know of any pattern/tutorials that would make learning easy. Like a CarlaC pattern but for crochet or any tips or tricks I should know?
Crochetcabana.com has great tutorials and there are bunches of helpful videos on youtube. I would also suggest checking out crochetville.org where there are many helpful and friendly people. Ravelry.com is also another great forum for crochet and knitting.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #2306
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just gorgeous! I am sure your dgd will fall in love with this! What a wonderful grandma to make such a special dress!

Quote:

Wow, that turned out great! The idea to use quilt panels was wonderful. He sure looks happy with his birthday gift!

Quote:

QUESTION

Lots of people have ordered fabric from Japan and China with great results. I ordered some Disney fabric from China last year and was very pleased with it. You can get some really pretty and different fabrics if you order from overseas but it is pricey!

Quote:
I can't help with specifics but my dd wanted to learn to knit and she watched a bunch of videos on youtube. It really helped her. I know you can't watch youtube at work but if you watch at home before you go, it might help.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #2307
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Beautiful! My Grandma made me a dress when I was about 4 or 5, it was a cute little pink eyelet dress. My mother let my little cousin wear it, and she never gave it back. I still can remember the dress even though I was so young, it left a lasting impression on me. Your grandaughter is lucky to have someone make her such beautiful things, I am sure she will love and appreciate them forever.

Quote:

That turned out awsome! I dragged my DH in here to check it out and he thought it was very cool also! Don't you just love these birthdays right after christmas. DS's is next Monday (poor kid has to go back to school for his 13th birthday, and DH's is next Tues. At least I get it all over with at the beginning of the year.

I have started playing with my serger and actually was able to thread it properly! I was pretty excited, baby steps...then I threw DS a pair of easy fit pants together cause I was so excited to try it out. Love it! so much quicker than sewing and then zigzaging, that thing is an animal! I am still getting used to figureing out where to "look" when sewing on it to judge where the material will go through. Some of my corners didn't seem to stitch as close as I wanted them to, but I am sure over time I will get the hang of it.

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #2308
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I love Japanese fabric and have had good luck with it.

We are home from our trip and I am gearing up to work on orders and some new things.

Love all the cuteness posted.
Quote:
Lots of people have ordered fabric from Japan and China with great results. I ordered some Disney fabric from China last year and was very pleased with it. You can get some really pretty and different fabrics if you order from overseas but it is pricey!
Is there any sellers you recommend?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #2309
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have started playing with my serger and actually was able to thread it properly! I was pretty excited, baby steps...then I threw DS a pair of easy fit pants together cause I was so excited to try it out. Love it! so much quicker than sewing and then zigzaging, that thing is an animal! I am still getting used to figureing out where to "look" when sewing on it to judge where the material will go through. Some of my corners didn't seem to stitch as close as I wanted them to, but I am sure over time I will get the hang of it.

Marci
Sounds like you have a great start on the serger!

Quote:
Is there any sellers you recommend?
I've used this shop before:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/himenana?ref=pr_shop_more

I try and stay away from it because it costs me too much ever time that i look!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #2310
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The shirt looks great. I hope your husband had a great birthday. I feel bad for people who have birthdays close to Christmas as they often get short changed on birthday cards/gifts.

Quote:
QUESTION

I have never bought Disney fabric from overseas. I am always concerned that they are not offically licensed (especially from China). I simply don't want to spend my hard earned money on counterfit items. I imagine the more reputable sellers will be ok?

Quote:
Crochetcabana.com has great tutorials and there are bunches of helpful videos on youtube. I would also suggest checking out crochetville.org where there are many helpful and friendly people. Ravelry.com is also another great forum for crochet and knitting.
Thanks for the links. I will have to check them out the next time I am babysitting the embroidery machine.

Quote:
Don't you just love these birthdays right after christmas. DS's is next Monday (poor kid has to go back to school for his 13th birthday, and DH's is next Tues. At least I get it all over with at the beginning of the year.

Marci
Sounds like you will be busy making birthday cakes in the next little while! I am glad that you started playing with your serger and you are happy with it so far. I used my serger to do rolled hem today and it saved me lots of time as I would have had to do narrow hem otherwise!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: