Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #2266
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Any DISboutiquers in Southwest Michigan? I need a sewing tutor!
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #2267
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick
Any DISboutiquers in Southwest Michigan? I need a sewing tutor!
I grew up in SW MI and learned my skills form my Mom. If you live near a Fields they probably have a bulletin board with cards or classes? Not sure where you live in SW MI, but my mom lives South of GR... She's basically retired but loves to help others with sewing. She also owns a very fancy Babylock for embroidery.

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #2268
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I'm in Kalamazoo. I have a brand new Brother machine that I haven't figured out how to use.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #2269
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick
I'm in Kalamazoo. I have a brand new Brother machine that I haven't figured out how to use.
DM is in Byron Center, 'bout an hour away, but I can check with her? If nothing else she may know of someone possibly? I just bought a new Singer machine this summer, and although I grew up with a seamstress, only started sewing last winter - so I feel your pain. The machine manual has been my best friend, and I only call DM in a pinch.

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2270
strega7
Mouseketeer

I just dropped by to say hello to everyone, and to show my latest learning experiment. I hope everyone is having a terrific holiday season. DH got me a serger for christmas, so I am looking forward to pulling that beast out and trying to figure it out. I am a bit intimidated by it, but found a class on craftsy which is giving me enough confidence that I think I will try it tomorrow. I love all the new stuff that has been posted lately, sorry I have been non existent on posting coments, most the time I am surfing the disboards from my cell, and I hate typing on the little keyboard. Here is the only thing I have been able to accomplish lately, and it defintately has its flaws, but it is still wearable. I finally learned how to put bottonholes in, and thank you to whoever recommended Carla C's tutorial, it helped a lot. Thanks to the tutorial, you tube, and my manual, it turned out to be super simple, I even learned how to sew the buttons on with the machine, you will be seeing more button holes in the future on my stuff. As far as the rest of it, the shirt was from a pattern, and when it came together, it was ENORMOUS, I could have fit two of me in it. I need to learn how to better adjust patterns so it fits my measurements. I tried to take it up a bit, but it is still big, but that is ok, makes for comfy jammies. The shorts were a snap, they were Carla C's easy fits, and I love making those, they come together so quick and easy. Anyway, this is how they came out...

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

I hope you all have a happy safe new year!

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #2271
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7
I just dropped by to say hello to everyone, and to show my latest learning experiment. I hope everyone is having a terrific holiday season. DH got me a serger for christmas, so I am looking forward to pulling that beast out and trying to figure it out. I am a bit intimidated by it, but found a class on craftsy which is giving me enough confidence that I think I will try it tomorrow. I love all the new stuff that has been posted lately, sorry I have been non existent on posting coments, most the time I am surfing the disboards from my cell, and I hate typing on the little keyboard. Here is the only thing I have been able to accomplish lately, and it defintately has its flaws, but it is still wearable. I finally learned how to put bottonholes in, and thank you to whoever recommended Carla C's tutorial, it helped a lot. Thanks to the tutorial, you tube, and my manual, it turned out to be super simple, I even learned how to sew the buttons on with the machine, you will be seeing more button holes in the future on my stuff. As far as the rest of it, the shirt was from a pattern, and when it came together, it was ENORMOUS, I could have fit two of me in it. I need to learn how to better adjust patterns so it fits my measurements. I tried to take it up a bit, but it is still big, but that is ok, makes for comfy jammies. The shorts were a snap, they were Carla C's easy fits, and I love making those, they come together so quick and easy. Anyway, this is how they came out...

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

Marci
Cute PJs!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #2272
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Just starting to plan our 2013 trip to Disney, in October or November. We are trying to decide when free dining will be.

But most important is what are we going to wear!!

I also thought I would show off the kids Incredible Halloween costumes, because we are in Canada it can be really really cold for Halloween so I made their costumes out of fleece. I had a pattern sort of that I followed, but really I ended up altering it so much to make it a snugger jumpsuit looking outfit that it is a 1 of a kind, well 2 of a kind I guess.

They both love their costumes, and felt really great in them. Our 2 year old kept saying "I inKEDible, I Dash"

How exciting that you will be planning a trip! I can't wait to see what you will make for this trip. The Halloween costumes are fantastic. I can totally understand the need for warm costumes here! I guess you may need to make a set of costumes for your family if decide to go to the Halloween party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
It sounds like you had a lovely holiday. It is nice that your SIL admired the casserole carrier and wanted one for herself. Even people that don't cook much have to bring stuff when they go to a potluck type party.

Did you go to Fabricland?
Yes we had a great holiday. It's true that she may use it for potlucks. I know she is also trying to learn to cook - her parents worked long hours so she never had the opportunity to learn to cook or sew (she doesn't know how to sew on a button). She was the reason why we had the Christmas cookie baking party a few weeks ago, as she wanted to learn how to bake cookies. Maybe she will turn out to be a great cook and use the casserole carrier for different things.

Yes I went to Fabricland, though they don't have any good sales. I actually left without buying anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

Marci
I am glad that you tried the buttonholes! It's too bad that the top was too large. I found the sizing on the commerical patterns funny anyway. I stopped using the size suggested on the envelope and just go straight to the actual garment finished sizes printed on the pattern. Sometimes I need a size bigger and sometimes I need a size smaller than what the envelope says. The PJ set looks great by the way.

I hope you will get a chance to play with your serger soon. I really like my serger. I never took any classes on sergers, I actually just read the manual once and started playing with it.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #2273
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

Marci
Those are cute pajamas.

I hope it's ok to post this here, it's not sewn but I did make it. I crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #2274
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Just starting to plan our 2013 trip to Disney, in October or November. We are trying to decide when free dining will be.

But most important is what are we going to wear!!

I also thought I would show off the kids Incredible Halloween costumes, because we are in Canada it can be really really cold for Halloween so I made their costumes out of fleece. I had a pattern sort of that I followed, but really I ended up altering it so much to make it a snugger jumpsuit looking outfit that it is a 1 of a kind, well 2 of a kind I guess.

They both love their costumes, and felt really great in them. Our 2 year old kept saying "I inKEDible, I Dash"

Violet

Dash
Love the ostumes! I'm also in ont. kw whereabouts are you?

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2275
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
How exciting that you will be planning a trip! I can't wait to see what you will make for this trip. The Halloween costumes are fantastic. I can totally understand the need for warm costumes here! I guess you may need to make a set of costumes for your family if decide to go to the Halloween party.

Yes we had a great holiday. It's true that she may use it for potlucks. I know she is also trying to learn to cook - her parents worked long hours so she never had the opportunity to learn to cook or sew (she doesn't know how to sew on a button). She was the reason why we had the Christmas cookie baking party a few weeks ago, as she wanted to learn how to bake cookies. Maybe she will turn out to be a great cook and use the casserole carrier for different things.

Yes I went to Fabricland, though they don't have any good sales. I actually left without buying anything.

I am glad that you tried the buttonholes! It's too bad that the top was too large. I found the sizing on the commerical patterns funny anyway. I stopped using the size suggested on the envelope and just go straight to the actual garment finished sizes printed on the pattern. Sometimes I need a size bigger and sometimes I need a size smaller than what the envelope says. The PJ set looks great by the way.

I hope you will get a chance to play with your serger soon. I really like my serger. I never took any classes on sergers, I actually just read the manual once and started playing with it.
Purple ears! You left without buying anything! No good sales? Are our stores diff maybe? I ended up with $165 in material. Everything was 50 percent off!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Last edited by nannye; 12-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #2276
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't have anybody specific that I've used but I'd look on Etsy. You can probably find somebody on there that can make you custom made tags. They can probably design something with Suzy, Perla or even both of them. What a cute idea!

So this is what I finished last week before DH's surgery. I think that the dress turned out kind of big. I will probably end up having to do some alterations on it.

I have one more thing that is halfway finished but I haven't had any time to sew in the last week. I'm hoping to get into my sewing room tomorrow afternoon. It has been too long!
What pattern did you use for the dress? Is it the simply sweet? If so just wondering what size your panels were? I did similar with a simply sweet but ended up totally altering the size of the panels which then made it murder to fit into the bodice.

Looks awesome! I love the treasure map appliquee and the pirate pigtails.

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #2277
Yoshiandi
Just working for my next Disney fix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
Those are cute pajamas.

I hope it's ok to post this here, it's not sewn but I did make it. I crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

That's awesome!!!

Yoshiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #2278
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Crazy big top...

Jammie shorts

Marci
Love the jammies. Sorry that the top turned out too big but they are very cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

Sorry that the sale wasn't so good for you. I love when Joanns have their big sales at Memorial Day and Labor Day. I really stock up on fabric then.

I did the same thing when I got my serger. Since I bought mine used, it didn't come with classes anyhow. Sitting down and playing with it was the best way to learn to use it. I am still learning new things about it though.

Quote:
crocheted this afghan for my son-in-law for Christmas.

Wow, I have never seen something made like that with hand crocheting before. Very impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
What pattern did you use for the dress? Is it the simply sweet? If so just wondering what size your panels were? I did similar with a simply sweet but ended up totally altering the size of the panels which then made it murder to fit into the bodice.

Looks awesome! I love the treasure map appliquee and the pirate pigtails.
Thanks! I did use the simply sweet but I did make a few alternations. I added the panel in the front so that I could make the front bodice lace up. I don't remember what size panels I used. I usually just kind of eyeball it. I'm not huge on measuring. I got the appliques with the treasure map and the pirate when Planet Applique had her Black Friday sale.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #2279
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

I just took pictures of the things that I finished today. I've been working on the sailor dress forever. I started it right around the time DH went in for surgery and I finally finished it today. I am not thrilled with it. I used a pattern that I already had and altered it myself to add the sailor collar. It wasn't really a smooth alteration and there are several small mistakes that I can easily spot. It also turned out longer than I intended and I put a couple of pleats in the skirt to shorten it.

Here is another dress that I made from the butterfly pattern that I bought last month on YCMT. I also made a matching t-shirt.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2280
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That afghan looks great! I have never seen any crochet blankets like that before. I am learning to crochet but I am not having much luck with it. It's my way to pass the time while I babysit the embroidery machine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Purple ears! You left without buying anything! No good sales? Are our stores diff maybe? I ended up with $165 in material. Everything was 50 percent off!
The Fabricland stores are different depending on the province. Technically it is Fabricland West for stores in BC, AB, SK, and MB. Fabricland in ON (and maybe Quebec?), and Fabricville in Eastern Canada. We discovered the difference when I was talking to a friend from NS about sewing.

Quote:
I just took pictures of the things that I finished today. I've been working on the sailor dress forever. I started it right around the time DH went in for surgery and I finally finished it today. I am not thrilled with it. I used a pattern that I already had and altered it myself to add the sailor collar. It wasn't really a smooth alteration and there are several small mistakes that I can easily spot. It also turned out longer than I intended and I put a couple of pleats in the skirt to shorten it.

Here is another dress that I made from the butterfly pattern that I bought last month on YCMT. I also made a matching t-shirt.

I am sorry to hear that the sailor dress didn't quite turned out as planned. Unfortunately sometimes things just don't work the way we planned. However, I thought it looks nice in the picture. The set with the surfboard looks great.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: