Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #2221
branmuffin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Has anyone been to the Gaitlinburg, TN area this time of year?
I don't know if anyone has replied to this post, but I am from East TN. I might be a little biased, but I love it this time of year. They have wonderful light displays and lots of great things to look at without spending a lot of money. The mountains alone are worth going for IMHO. There is also a lot of outlet shopping if you do have $$ to spend. It's usually fairly easy to rent a cabin or nice hotel room for a resonable. price. My husband is active duty Marine Corps, so I don't live there now, but I miss it so much. It can get busy/crowded at times, but it is still quaint and definitely worth seeing this time of year. Plus, you might even run into Dolly!
branmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #2222
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
That is awesome! My son loves Ninjago and would be over the moon for something like that! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks! As soon as I saw it I knew I had to do something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post

Soo cute!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post

The sweatshirt looks great. My DS9 would love that.... yet another reason for me to learn how to applique.
Thank you! I never would have been able to do it myself until I got my embroidery machine. Shhh I opened it early, it's supposed to be a Christmas present. I'm so excited to see what else I can do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post

That is super cute.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

The hoodie is super cool! I am sure your son will like it.
Thanks, I hope he likes it. He is super picky about wearing things I make even when he gets to pick things out. I left the tags on the sweatshirt so maybe he will think it's from the store and wear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
So many other great projects! I love the cruise dress, the advent calendar, the hoodies, etc! I'm so sorry not to give each item it's due!

Regards,
C.
Thanks. I know how you feel trying to get everything done. I start my new job tomorrow and work the next 3 days 10 hour shifts and my neice and nephew came in today and a lot more family coming in on Saturday so I scrambled the last few days. I think I am done except for making a fleece blanket that should go pretty quick though. Good luck getting everything done!

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #2223
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

I am right with you all feeling the crush of last minute projects. I did get two major projects done today, so my to-do list is dwindling. I finished my nephew's Denver Broncos bowling shirt (they live in Colorado and are huge Broncos fans, and what do you know I found this fabric in the remnant bin, my favorite place!)

I also finished a quilt for my good friend, but since she follows me on nearly every social media, I am not posting it until she gets it for Christmas.

The last thing I wanted to get done before Christmas was make PJ pants for the kids, possibly the adults too, but if I don't get to it I am not going to be too worried. I am just so glad I was able to be productive after my hubby got home, I had the WORST day with the kids I have had in a long time, one literally laid on the floor face down kicking and screaming for 45 minutes and it is not clear even now what the heck he wanted. The other decided that during dinner he would take a huge mouthful of water and spit it out all over himself, his food, the table, etc. so they both went to bed SUPER early. And now I think I will too!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #2224
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I am right with you all feeling the crush of last minute projects. I did get two major projects done today, so my to-do list is dwindling. I finished my nephew's Denver Broncos bowling shirt (they live in Colorado and are huge Broncos fans, and what do you know I found this fabric in the remnant bin, my favorite place!)

I also finished a quilt for my good friend, but since she follows me on nearly every social media, I am not posting it until she gets it for Christmas.

The last thing I wanted to get done before Christmas was make PJ pants for the kids, possibly the adults too, but if I don't get to it I am not going to be too worried. I am just so glad I was able to be productive after my hubby got home, I had the WORST day with the kids I have had in a long time, one literally laid on the floor face down kicking and screaming for 45 minutes and it is not clear even now what the heck he wanted. The other decided that during dinner he would take a huge mouthful of water and spit it out all over himself, his food, the table, etc. so they both went to bed SUPER early. And now I think I will too!
Hugs for the rough day. I have to say though that I that shirt. I used that same Broncos fabric to make me a pair of easy fits a few years ago and I wear those pants almost every Sunday. I think next year I will make a new pair, mine is looking rather faded and worn compared to yours. I'm sure your nephew will love that shirt!!!

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #2225
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Mostly selfishly posting. I'm supposed to be packing so we can head out (already had to delay once because I wasn't finished with those darn dresses. The applique took me WAY longer than I anticipated....can I just say that all you who own embroidery machines should hug them tight tonight and thank them for existing!)

First the Rapunzel inspired Simply Sweet.

And then the New Year's Eve dresses. These Grace Ruffle dresses were inspired by one of the dresses that appeared in one of the Main Street Boutiques auctions created by HeavenLeighBlessings Boutique. I made it "my own" but feel that it has such a similar theme/set up that I wanted to give him/her credit (mine PALES in comparison). I do not sell and these dresses were created at cost for my friend's trip, so I truly hope I don't step on any toes for making them.

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Lighting a little better in this one and shows off the colors a little more:

Hope everyone has a great few days. I'll be on the road and unable to keep up for a few days. Hope you all don't sew up a storm while I'm gone!

Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #2226
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:

the shirt looks great. I should make another one for my DS but I have so many other things I want to make still. I can't wait until after Christmas to see the quilt you made. Good luck with getting the pants done, I was just reminded yesterday that I had blankets to make still... UGH !!

I'm sorry your kids were acting up yesterday. maybe the holidays are just too much for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
Mostly selfishly posting. I'm supposed to be packing so we can head out (already had to delay once because I wasn't finished with those darn dresses. The applique took me WAY longer than I anticipated....can I just say that all you who own embroidery machines should hug them tight tonight and thank them for existing!)

And then the New Year's Eve dresses. These Grace Ruffle dresses were inspired by one of the dresses that appeared in one of the Main Street Boutiques auctions created by HeavenLeighBlessings Boutique. I made it "my own" but feel that it has such a similar theme/set up that I wanted to give him/her credit (mine PALES in comparison). I do not sell and these dresses were created at cost for my friend's trip, so I truly hope I don't step on any toes for making them.

Front/back

Hope everyone has a great few days. I'll be on the road and unable to keep up for a few days. Hope you all don't sew up a storm while I'm gone!

Sunshine
The dress looks great. Where did you get the castle image ? that looks awesome.

So, two more days until my daughters 16th birthday party, her birthday is today, and I might just get a gift on that day too. My Aunt is bringing down her embroidery machine for me to use since she never does. I don't know what kind it is or anything about it except she bought it for business and found she doesn't use it so I get to play with it as long as I want. YAY !! All I know is that it's going to cost me money anyways with making sure I have all the right thread and buying things to make with it.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #2227
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The shirt looks great.

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Sunshine
The dresses are beautiful, I especially like the Mickey and Minnie applique.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #2228
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Sunshine
It's productive procrastination when you do one thing in avoidance of another...not that I'm saying you were avoiding packing.

I love the whoel Mickey/Minnie/Castle scene. Truely a beautiful piece of work.

Quote:

I have some of that fabric from a remnant bin as well. I have a friend who's a Bronco fan and I'm going to make her a Kindle sleeve.

Hope today was better with the kids.

I am so far behind on everything. Since Thanksgiving it's been one thing after another: family illnesses, work issues, etc, so I haven't even started on one gift, realised that my original idea won't work for another and half finished a third. I'll be glad when new years comes.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #2229
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
Hugs for the rough day. I have to say though that I that shirt. I used that same Broncos fabric to make me a pair of easy fits a few years ago and I wear those pants almost every Sunday. I think next year I will make a new pair, mine is looking rather faded and worn compared to yours. I'm sure your nephew will love that shirt!!!
Thanks! My brother is a super fan, so much so when I said we would be baking and decorating cookies for Santa on sunday he said he would have to fake a trip out to go christmas shopping and go find a local bar to watch the Bronco game. I have a feeling my brother might be jealous that my nephew gets such a cool shirt.

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Sunshine
Both dresses are outstanding, but the applique castle/fireworks/mickey and minnie are outrageously adorable. I love the colors and the ruffles are so fun. So cute. I think spending new years eve at Disney World has to be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
It's productive procrastination when you do one thing in avoidance of another...not that I'm saying you were avoiding packing.

I love the whoel Mickey/Minnie/Castle scene. Truely a beautiful piece of work.

I have some of that fabric from a remnant bin as well. I have a friend who's a Bronco fan and I'm going to make her a Kindle sleeve.

Hope today was better with the kids.

I am so far behind on everything. Since Thanksgiving it's been one thing after another: family illnesses, work issues, etc, so I haven't even started on one gift, realised that my original idea won't work for another and half finished a third. I'll be glad when new years comes.
So far not much better with the kids. Had to go to Joann and pick up another thing of buttons for the Broncos shirt since I cracked one and my kids were running around like crazies and we were actually next in line when one sprinted ALL THE WAY to the back of the store, so I had to carry him over my should whilst dragging the other by the hood of his sweatshirt back up front.

I made these naughty and nice shirts for them and I think I should have made them both say naughty!

Oh, and for the record, this is what I got when I sat them down to take these photos, couldn't have art directed a more perfect "naughty" shot...

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #2230
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I haven't dropped completely off the face of the earth, just into my basement, scrambling to get a bunch of presents made for my kids and other family. I'm feeling the crunch and probably won't have any pics until after Christmas. I haven't even had time to post a few more pics from our trip here or on FB. Two family members are bugging me about it, but no time.

Regards,
C.
We understand that this is a busy time of the year. I hope to see pictures of your creations again soon!

Quote:
Thanks. I know how you feel trying to get everything done. I start my new job tomorrow and work the next 3 days 10 hour shifts and my neice and nephew came in today and a lot more family coming in on Saturday so I scrambled the last few days. I think I am done except for making a fleece blanket that should go pretty quick though. Good luck getting everything done!
Congrats on your new job. I hope your first day went smoothly. I hope you will get some time off to spend with your family.

Quote:

The shirt looks fab! I am sorry to hear that you had a rough day with your boys. At least your husband was able to help you out when he got home.

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Sunshine
The dresses are beautiful! The applique looks fantastic!

Quote:
So, two more days until my daughters 16th birthday party, her birthday is today, and I might just get a gift on that day too. My Aunt is bringing down her embroidery machine for me to use since she never does. I don't know what kind it is or anything about it except she bought it for business and found she doesn't use it so I get to play with it as long as I want. YAY !! All I know is that it's going to cost me money anyways with making sure I have all the right thread and buying things to make with it.
It is exciting that you will have an embroidery machine to use. I am sure you will have fun playing with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I am sorry that things have been rough for you since Thanksgiving. Hopefully the new year will bring a new start for you!

Quote:
Both dresses are outstanding, but the applique castle/fireworks/mickey and minnie are outrageously adorable. I love the colors and the ruffles are so fun. So cute. I think spending new years eve at Disney World has to be amazing.

So far not much better with the kids. Had to go to Joann and pick up another thing of buttons for the Broncos shirt since I cracked one and my kids were running around like crazies and we were actually next in line when one sprinted ALL THE WAY to the back of the store, so I had to carry him over my should whilst dragging the other by the hood of his sweatshirt back up front.

I made these naughty and nice shirts for them and I think I should have made them both say naughty!

Oh, and for the record, this is what I got when I sat them down to take these photos, couldn't have art directed a more perfect "naughty" shot...

Speaking from experience, being at Disney World on New Years Eve is not for the faint of heart. We were there to ring in 2008. It was wall to wall people on main street. The fireworks were amazing but DH and I agreed that we won't want to do it again as it was simply too many people for us!

Sorry to hear that you have another rough day with the boys. The naughty and nice shirts and the poses are cute. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #2231
ban26ana
Mouseketeer

So there's nothing like a healthy dose of procrastination. We leave tomorrow, and I just finished my sewing projects yesterday.

I made 2 twirl skirts for Chef Mickey's. Holy heck, these took forever.

Skirts for HDDR. I'm not thrilled with how long these are. I had grand plans, but they just didn't turn out how I envisioned. And I don't have enough time to change them, so this is how they stay.

And not sewing, but my pressed penny tubes and autograph books.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #2232
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban26ana View Post
So there's nothing like a healthy dose of procrastination. We leave tomorrow, and I just finished my sewing projects yesterday.
Everything looks great. Lots of work in that twirly skirt and sewing into denim.... whew ! If they are too long (below their knees) then you might have to add a little slit so they can lift heir legs to get into rides without the whole skirt going up. I would put it in the center back. but they look pretty. I like the penny and books. I know that book took a lot of time.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #2233
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Skirts for HDDR. I'm not thrilled with how long these are. I had grand plans, but they just didn't turn out how I envisioned. And I don't have enough time to change them, so this is how they stay.

And not sewing, but my pressed penny tubes and autograph books.

Everything looks great. The patchwork skirts are a bit of work but they look so pretty and are great for twirling,
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #2234
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Great skirt!

Quote:

irt.

Full Dress:

Sunshine
I love the eye spy bags. The kids probably loved them. I haven't had time to keep up with the mom's PTR so I haven't seen the pictures of them receiving the bags. As soon as I get a chance, I will go and look at the pictures.

Your Belle dress is wonderful! I love the sparkly fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
So sorry that their trip was cancelled. It has been a rough few months for the whole family.
Yes, my girls are so sad that their trip has been canceled. It had been the thing that they had really been looking forward to. I am a little upset at my SIL for canceling the trip because within 2 days her back was better. But I guess they were worried that it would take much longer for her to feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Here they are:
Simply Sweet Dress - 7 appliquees and 3 layers of ruffles (holy moly that was a lot of ruffles!) Super full, I altered the pattern so the pannels were 5 and 10 inches and the width of the skirt was 90 inches.
Front

Back
The cruise dress turned out great! I'm sure V must have loved it! Great job on your appliques!

Quote:

And the back is embroidered on the hood so when he has his hood up he will look like a ninja from behind
That's so cute! I love the face on the back of the hoodie.

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I haven't dropped completely off the face of the earth, just into my basement, scrambling to get a bunch of presents made for my kids and other family. I'm feeling the crunch and probably won't have any pics until after Christmas. I haven't even had time to post a few more pics from our trip here or on FB. Two family members are bugging me about it, but no time.
Hi Carrie! I hope you are able to get everything finished in time. Can't wait to see some pictures!

Quote:

Love the shirt! It turned out great! I think you are the Queen of the Bowling Shirts!

Sorry you had a rough day with the kids. I can remember days like that. Sometimes I wonder if the tantrums were easier than the teenage attitude!

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:
I love the Rapunzel dress. It turned out super!

Your Grace dresses are so great! I haven't done any hand applique but I am sure that those took hours and hours. Beautiful job! And no, I don't think that you stepped on any toes. Your dresses might have been inspired by another dress but they are quite different and very much your own.

Quote:

Very cute shirts! I hope your little guys are just kind of ramped up because the holidays are getting close. I hope that they settle down for you.

Quote:

The skirts all look great. I love the twirl skirts. I do agree that they are very time consuming to make. But they do look so pretty and the little girls just love them. All that gathering is hard work! Your other skirts are cute too!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2235
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

I am falling behind on my sewing. I still need to make 6 Easyfit pjs for dolls (4 for AG dolls & 2 for Duffy) but all my kids have been home sick since Wednesday with some nasty cold and tomorrow my friends and I are having our annual fudge party. I can't believe we have been doing this for 15years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I'm actually going to post something I made!

Thanks to a facebook group and here and Loree I was able to get it working properly. Lots of patience. my practice material was too thin and the stabilizer I used sucked. then on sunday it was the bobbins. My order of prewound bobbins hadn't come in yet so I went to the store sunday and bought some and then we started getting somewhere. (Of course the order of 144 bobbins for $60 came on sunday after i ran out to the sewing store sunday and bought janome prewounds , 15 for $15 ) then i dealt with the thread getting caught and bobbins in upside down. Finally on sunday It was working well enough that I started on the appliquees for the dress. I did the bodice and then had to redo after It got caught and nested. Loree put together the design for me! then the appliquees took me the rest of sunday and all day monday. Monday night I got the two shirts done. This am i drove out to V's house and dropped it off. I squished it all into a ziplock since they had no room in their suitcase I was told (I prewarned v's mom more than once that they were coming!) So I am assuming they all made their way to Florida today!

Here they are:
Simply Sweet Dress - 7 appliquees and 3 layers of ruffles (holy moly that was a lot of ruffles!) Super full, I altered the pattern so the pannels were 5 and 10 inches and the width of the skirt was 90 inches.
Front

I am so glad you were able to figure it out.

Quote:
Here is the project I was working on last night and today that was giving me the fits. Maryann did something like this awhile back and I always wanted to make something like it for DS. This is for Christmas so the one picture my "model" was a bear who would not sit very well and his ears kept getting in the way.
The front is a red ninja

And the back is embroidered on the hood so when he has his hood up he will look like a ninja from behind
Great job. My boys love Ninjago

Quote:

Even thought it is Bronco stuff (die hard NE Fan ) those shirts came out great.

Quote:

Front/back

Close up of applique:

Sunshine
Great job on the dresses. I love the mickey/minnie sitting on the bench. Is that handappliqued? It came out amazing.

Quote:

Have a magical time!
Great job on the twirl skirt. And I love the autograph book.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: